News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Violence in Kenya

Started by EMTL, January 24, 2008, 07:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMTL

Assalamu alaikum,
When you go to Kenya, you will notice that the Kenyans are proud of three things:
1. their games reserves
2. their tall buildings- you see, and
3. you at least learn one Swahili phrase  'Kenya Akuna Matata' meaning: there is no problem in Kenya' ...

The recent election has however thrown this once peaceful African nation into Chaos... killings, killings ... evreyday. I am very sad with this development. Is Africa ready for democracy.. An ya kuwa?
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

Dan-Borno

Barka da asuba Engineer mai babban school (screw) driver
this is the type of hot topics i really enjoy talking and making
posts, most of us concentrate more on the chit-chat board
and shy away from current affairs.  I still imagine why the
hell Nuruddeen despite our calls and advices he still maintains
his stand not to comment on national issues, infact ya daina
zuwa wannan majalis dinma.  I am using this medium to call
Nuruddeen back please.

Engineer, what is happening in Kenya is nothing but a democracy
at work.  This is the system we so much cherish and the final
result will be violence.  During the 2003 elections, that Old
Janar has seen reasons he calls off the mass action, if not
the result of the mass action will be worse than what is happening
in Kenya.

Sooner or later, except Africa adopts a system of governance
that will be suitable to the locality, we will continue facing same
problems and this will continue being a ginger to our backwardness.

Wadannan sarakunan, i mean the traditional institutions, except our
constitution recognized them as part and parcel of governance, the
more we face problem, for uptill now people regard their traditional
institutions in high esteem and they still act in terms of emergencies.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Muhsin

I don't have much time to say my words here. But in short; all the happenings there in Kenya, who's to be blamed for is the president Moiy Kibaki. He himself know full well that he doesn't win the election but he remains in power. What a lust and  for power he's? God forbid. Allah ya shiryi African leaders, amin.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Muhsin

Kenyan death toll reaches 1,000

Story Highlights
Kenyan death toll reaches 1,000 amid post-election violence

Talks towards establishing powersharing deal resume Tuesday

Cyril Ramaphosa withdraws from mediating after Kenyan government objections

South African businessman Ramaphosa helped end apartheid in his country

NAIROBI, Kenya (CNN) -- The death toll from post-election violence in Kenya climbed to more than 1,000 Tuesday as government and opposition politicians discussed plans that could eventually lead to a power-sharing agreement.

The two sides resumed talks on Monday. Former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, who is in Kenya to oversee efforts to resolve the crisis, was meeting with senior business leaders on Tuesday, a government spokesman said.

Peace efforts took a hit Monday as South African businessman Cyril Ramaphosa withdrew as the chief negotiator after the government expressed reservations about him.

Ramaphosa, was instrumental in talks to end apartheid in his own country, told The Associated Press he could not function as mediator "without the complete confidence of both parties."

A spokesman for Annan said he had "reluctantly accepted" Ramaphosa's withdrawal.

The latest discussions came as violence across Kenya pushed the death toll to more than 1,000, according to the Kenyan Red Cross.

At least 140 people have died since Friday when leaders of the opposition Orange Democratic Movement reached an agreement with the government to stem the violence that has taken on ethnic overtones.

As many as 350,000 people have been driven from their homes in bloody street battles that have broken out between supporters of President Mwai Kibaki -- a member of the Kikuyu tribe -- and opposition leader Raila Odinga, who belongs to the Luo tribe

Following late December elections, Odinaga accused Kibaki of rigging the vote to win re-election, sparking the breakdown in civil order.

In the midst of the violence, the government faces new difficulties -- finding a way to get migrant workers back to their ancestral homelands, a senior U.N. official told CNN. Ethnic violence is forcing minority tribal members to flee, putting a strain on an already disrupted transportation system.

The quickly approaching rainy season could also add to a brewing humanitarian crisis if farmers -- sidetracked by the violence -- can't get their crops in before the rains come.

On Sunday, the opposition party asked the United Nations and the African Union to send in peacekeepers.

Odinga requested the peacekeepers during a meeting with Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon at the African Union summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

"The level of violence in Kenya is unprecedented. It's on a terrifying scale and it has not really diminished," Salim Lone, spokesman for the Orange Democratic Movement, told CNN from London.

"People who have lived together for generations have, after the fraudulent election, turned on each other," he said.

"The security forces seem incapable of stopping this carnage, and in some cases, they actually stand by while the killing goes on," Lone said. "For sure, international assistance is needed."

Allah ya tsayar haka, amin.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.