News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

K-online E-book Club

Started by dan kauye, January 15, 2008, 03:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan kauye

I recently stumbled upon a book called ''Love In The Time of Cholera" by  Gabriel García Márquez,which was recomended by Oprah Winfrey for the Oprah's Book Club,a wildly popular and often controversial book club that kick-starts the career of many previously-unknown authors to unprecedented levels of success,and inevitably, fame.So I thought,why not start one for  K-online..and that's that.But of course,unlike Oprah's book club in which only Oprah can suggest a book,anyone can select/highlight a book here,as long as a downloadable e-version is available,that is.

i,Select/suggest a book(e-version)  ii,Provide a link to the book (or at least important excerpts from the book) iii, At the end of every specified period,forumnites gather to review or make contructive criticism(highlight the book's weaknesses,strength,morale etc)--basically to discuss the book.And the cycle is repeated..

I'll start..

Book Description:
Here are the simple truths that motivate people of any age to find and accept lasting happiness, illustrated with the stories of real people, and illuminated with the observations of spiritual leaders and great philosophers.

For more than three decades, attorney, financial consultant, and life coach Stephen M. Pollan has been advising clients and readers on the business of living -- everything from home buying and employment contracts to marriage and parenting. He has taught his clients and readers to Die Broke (use assets rather than build up an estate), to stage Second Acts (reinvent their lives), and, most recently, to Fire Your Boss (take charge of their own work lives).

Throughout these books, Pollan stresses that attitudes as well as actions are essential to success. Indeed, over the years he realized that the happiest and most successful people he'd met were also those who were the most energetic and exuberant, regardless of their age. By noting these attributes and incorporating them in his own life, Pollan came to understand that our attitudes are not just one element of succeeding at the business of living, they are in fact the foundation of leading a happy life.

About the Author:
Stephen M. Pollan, a New York City-based attorney, financial adviser, and career expert, is one of America's most-renowned financial experts. Mark Levine has been Stephen Pollan's collaborator for more than eighteen years. Together they have authored numerous books, including the national bestsellers Lifescripts, Live Rich, and Die Broke, and most recently, Second Acts. They have been nominated for three National Magazine Awards.

Mark Levine has been Stephen Pollan's collaborator for more than eighteen years. Together they have authored numerous books, including the national bestsellers Lifescripts, Live Rich, and Die Broke, and most recently, Second Acts. They have been nominated for three National Magazine Awards.

Download the eBook (Excerpt, Pdf, 684KB)

http://www.harpercollins.com/rd-eb/perfectboundcom/pdf/0061130664

PS; We shall have a consensus on when to start the discourse about the book once we've choosen and read it.
Dan-Kauye's Artist Of The Week;Robin Thicke

Muhsin

What a nice peice of thought dan-kauye.

But that book; Love In The Time of Cholera by  Gabriel García Márquez, recomended by Oprah Book Club is a bit different from the one you here brough-up. That is a novel though I didn't read it but our lecturer has at length some times ago talked about it and even recomemded any one of us who could obtain it to read it. Then, that made me to surf internet to read something about it and so I did. Yet I couldn't get it. He too he said he got it from British Council liberary and its no longer there.

What type of book do you mean we should be bringin up? Any type? Because yours, I see, has something to do with psychology, right?

Am afraid to suggest but here isn't a suitable place for such discussion since literature sub-forum is recently created in the Forum.

Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

manasmusa

Quote from: dan kauye on January 15, 2008, 03:29:51 PM
I recently stumbled upon a book called ''Love In The Time of Cholera" by  Gabriel García Márquez,which was recomended by Oprah Winfrey for the Oprah's Book Club,a wildly popular and often controversial book club that kick-starts the career of many previously-unknown authors to unprecedented levels of success,and inevitably, fame.So I thought,why not start one for  K-online..

What a nice Idea from dan kauye. But u are as Mr. moderator said supporse to suggest the type u want us to chat about. And how I wished to say that the book u first mention is the one u brought here because I learnt that the book was later turn to be a Film.
Such is Allah your Rabb, His is the creation and...

*~MuDa~*

Well most movies are books written some years back actually, thats where most of the stories are extracted from.
...He begot not, nor is He begotten!
www.articlesdir.co.cc