News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

ECOLOGICAL IMPACT OF AFRICAN CITIES!!!

Started by Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu, December 16, 2008, 05:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu

It had been over-looked by ScienceDaily (Dec. 13, 2008), that African cities are growing faster than anywhere else in the world, and that this is having a major impact in Africa's history, but few ecologists are studying the urban environment and effect of cities on rural areas.
          A researcher, Joy Clancy, from the University of Twente reviewed the problem in the current issue of the African Journal of Ecology, and concluded, that "A hundred years ago 95% of the African population was rural, today 38% live in cities with about half the population expected to be urban by 2010." This rapid growth is resulting in huge changes in natural resource use, but the effects are highly controversial.
          The researcher lamented,  "Some environmentalists say that demand for fuel wood and charcoal from cities are causing deforestation, but in fact it is change in land use that is the main driver" continued Joy. "The real change is around cities – the 'peri-urban' areas – where woodlands are cleared for agriculture to feed the new centres of population."  That , "when this is added to the effect on water demand and waste disposal on aquatic ecosystems, then African cities can have an ecological footprint much larger than their actual extent."
          The associate editor of the African Journal of Ecology, Jon Lovett, said, that there is little research on the ecology of cities, and added  "Africa is famous for its wildlife and the ecology of places such as the Serengeti are familiar to people all over the world, but remarkably few ecologists are studying urban environments"  "Although people know a lot about lions and wildebeest, the real ecological challenges are in the cities and these are being ignored" he continues. "We need a massive shift in focus to tackle the most urgent environmental issues".

References:
1.   Clancy et al. Urban ecological footprints in Africa. African Journal of
             Ecology, 2008; 46 (4): 463 DOI: 10.1111/j.1365
             2028.2008.01041.x
2.   Jon C. Lovett et al. Urbanisation and over-population. African
             Journal of Ecology, Vol 46 Issue 4 DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-
             2028.2008.01040.x
"It is not the strongest species that survive nor the most intelligent, but the ones that are more responsive to change"
                               ~ Charles Darwin ~

"You can not hold a man down without staying down with him".

Dan-Borno

wai kai wani irin bafullatanine? ai wannan open forum
ne, akwai wadanda karatunsu baiyi nisa ba ko kadan
so there is need ka rika breaking down this your
scientific grammar into readerable form, kaga this
topic is very important for discussion amma you need
to elaborate  more and site examples locally so that
the likes of me can understand you very well.

"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu

Allah guburo, Allah kaminjo. Nifa ba bahillace bane; ni bahaushe ne - na Tanko mai kan bashi, tabarya kowa ya hadiyeki ta kwan tsaye!!! Game da "grammar" kuma, sai dai kayi hakuri. da ace akwai kwatankwacin kalmomin da nake amfani dasu a Hausa, da nayi amfani dasu domin ka, da sauran mutane, ko akwai scientific terminologies ne a barbanci?
"It is not the strongest species that survive nor the most intelligent, but the ones that are more responsive to change"
                               ~ Charles Darwin ~

Dan-Borno

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D zaku kashe mutum da dariya,
ana wata ga wata, meye 'Tanko mai kan bashi kuma? '
but we still need you to expantiate more even if na
pidgin english you go use.  kasan yanzo babu market
mai tafiya kamar busashshen itace and black charcoal
in Nigeria, most of the trees both in the cities and
outsketch are being brought down either in expansion
or for local use by our people.

I came from Gubio in northern part of Borno State, you
need to see how trees are being cut down without being
replaced by planting new ones.  in the next 10 - 15 years
only God knows how its going to be.

Ni dai from my understanding, government is doing
nothing to find solution to this ecological problem, most
of these grown up neem trees were planted during the
military junta, i cant recall any politician advocating for
planting trees in the desert encroached cities.

To Na Ta Ala  me kace?
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu

Yah, the ecological problems in Nigeria are very deverstating, nevertheless, there are always solutions to every problem. My advice to all is that we should not wait for the Government to do things for us. If every person can see to himself the importance of the flora and fauna (by always aiming at their conservation), as well as putting that into action, I think a year would be too much a time for rehabilitating the natural wealth that The Al-Mighty Allah Has Given us. So far there is life, Mallam Babarbare, there will always be hope!!!
                               ~ Charles Darwin ~

Dave_McEwan_Hill

The neem tree was brought from India because it is very hardy in near desert conditions and goats do not eat it when it is small. It produces lots of seeds (which fruit bats like) every year and these can be planted in small pots and they will sprout if they are watered. Anybody can do this and help the environment by planting these little trees. Privet hedge also seems to survive well and goats don't eat it either
maigemu

Abbas Bubakar El-ta'alu

Hi Dave_McEwan_Hill !!!
                                You've forgotten its botanical nomenclature, atharidatta indica , it is also very important!!!
                               ~ Charles Darwin ~

Dan-Borno

Quote from: Dave_McEwan_Hill on December 16, 2008, 11:06:31 PM
....... goats do not eat it when it is small.

not nigerian goats anymore, they eat even nylon bags,
i tried growing neem in front of my house, its the goats
that are frustrating my efforts.

Dave_McEwan_Hill

We have similar problem in Scotland with sheep and deer who eat all the young trees and are removing forests because of this. The solution is either enclosing the animals or enclosing the trees. Encroaching desert in Nigerian makes this a real problem as most people couldn't afford to enclose their animals.

When I was at WTC in Kano a friend had a goat. Her dog brought it in when it was very young. She allowed it to stay in the house. It ate her towels, her clothes and eventually started on her her sofa. It then started charging at any visitor and butting them.
Despite her fondness for it it eventually ended up as kebabs.
maigemu

Dan-Borno