News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Boko Haram: They are Telling the Truth But...........

Started by Mai Halin Girma, August 05, 2009, 09:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mai Halin Girma

BOKO HARAM MILITANTS:
THEY ARE TELLING THE TRUTH BUT.......
By
Salim I. Hassan (Salimullah)
Education Department, BUK.
salimanology@yahoo.com
blogwebsite: www.salimullah1.blogspot.com
30/07/2009

If a part of man's body is perished the doctor will say it is going to be amputated for the body to regain normalcy. The fact that one part is abnormal does not mean the detriment of the whole body. If you are very insightful you know what I mean in metaphor to 'Boko Haram' militants. Yes, of course they are telling the truth but not following the right principles and procedures to present change. Obviously, I have neither eulogy nor advocacy for 'Boko Haram' militants because they are acting insensibly and un-Islamically. They kill; and therefore, they most be killed whatever the cost might be. We may also ask ourselves here that is the government fair in its abrupt and urgent military response against 'Boko Haram' militants? We are not saying that they should be let killing innocent people but at least they should be given chance to fair-hearing. Absolutely if we are patriotic to our Nigerian brothers the urgent military response is not fair for them. Consider the case of Niger Delta militants. How may years it took the government before it set out military force to tackle the militants who have spent many years killing government officials and innocent people? In the all previous years, the government had been compromising and reconciling with them while they were amidst of massive killings of government official. But here now, just for a few days problem, the government resorted to the use of military force against our brothers. Yes, they are indeed our brothers because they are still Muslims. Furthermore, let us be fair in our attitude, whenever they say Boko is haram they are referring to only negative side of it which they perceived as contradictory to Islamic principles. Every sincere believer confesses that Western education (both natural sciences and social sciences) constitutes some element of Kufr (infidelity) which should be suppressed in our schools; and likewise Democracy and its constitutional laws. Every activist Muslim knows this fact and he need to implicate changes. It is such changes that the so called 'Boko Haram' militants set out bring however, inappropriately and violently. They failed to adhere to Islamic principles from the very onset of their action. Before I address the possible peaceful procedures and strategies to bring such a change I would like to highlight some basic heretical and anti-Islamic ideas/theories embodied in Western education (Boko). Darwin's theory of evolution, Interest theory (Riba), Capitalism, Communism, Secularism, Democracy are only a minute among the huge heretic ideas of Western education. They are all anti-Islamic and antithetical to human socio-moral values and standards. Let us go by them one after the other.
   For instance, in the first place, Darwin's theory says that Allah does not exist and therefore, is not the eternal creator who creates; all mankind came to be through natural selection by nature. But, here Allah – the Most High – is telling us in the glorious Qur'an that He is only who creates. Islamically speaking Darwin's theory is a typical Kufr. It is unfortunate that this theory is till being taught in our Muslim schools worldwide. The enemies have the right to say this polytheistic idea but we (Muslims) should not be studying it in our institutions. However, thanks to the effort of Harun Yahya who wrote a lot of volumes to refute and destroy Darwin's theory which is a typical Kufr.
   In the second aspect we don't need to waste our tongue on question of Interest, Capitalism, Communism and their alike; they are all prohibited according to Islamic principles. From moral standard also, they are against human norms and values. The untold poverty afflicting greater number of people in the world is due to Interest system (Riba) which is the main component of Capitalist theory. But painful as it might be to admit, Capitalism and Interest is hitherto, being taught in our Muslim schools worldwide. The detrimental consequence is that so many among the Muslims that have learned these Capitalist theories end up as greedy, misers, avaricious, and money-wizard – attitudes that are strongly discouraged in Islam. Such people values wealth and money more than spiritual and moral values of humanity.
   When we move to the issue of Secularism and Democracy the situation is worst than any. Kufr/infidelity can be best described as Secularism, and Democracy is a tool or agent through which Secularism (Kufr) is imposed upon the world nations by the American super-terrorist state. Similarly, the Jews are the investors of Democracy, Capitalism, and Interest system and they are those who wield supreme power in the American senate. Secularism argues that God (Allah) has sovereignty over the heaven only; and that man has the sovereignty over the earth. This is a Boko ideology which is in sharp glaring contrast to many of the Qur'an verses. But still it is being taught to our students; why? Nowadays, the global order of Kufr, as it is headed by the West, is Secularism; and the tool through which Secularism is propagated on earth is Democracy. Despite of its imposed acceptance by many Muslim nations, Democracy is anti-Islamic and polytheistic. Firstly, it proclaims that sovereignty (Uluhiyyah) belongs to man and not God; that man alone can legislate and make laws for himself and the people whether they are compatible or incompatible with God's eternal laws (Shari'ah). Worst of all, Democrats (advocates of Democracy) assert that laws of God (Shari'ah) is injustice against the mankind. This is typical Kufr. Secondly, Democracy asserts that man-made laws as embodied in Democratic constitution are superior to that of Allah. These are only a minute of heretical and polytheistic aspect of Democracy. The problem is that most of our students do not pursue Western education with pure Islamic vision, purpose, and sense of direction. (For more please, watch out the release of my book: The Battle: Democracy Vs ISLAMOCRACY).
   From foregoing account, one has to believe that indeed, some Western ideas/theories as contained in Boko are either Kufr or polytheism. Hence, the need to Islamize our Western system of Education and to Islamocratize our nations and governments according to complete Islamic principles and precepts. So, how can we set out to bring such a change? The answer is obviously through intellectual movement; only a brain and intellect can do this work and not the destructive weapons as resorted by the 'Boko Haram' militants. The change which the militants of 'Boko Haram' intend to bring about should not be in that orgiastic violent manner. My personal view to tackle the problem as to Islamize Western system of education in our states and nations can be best known from my propounded theory of ERIS (Educational Revolution in Islamic States) as I have detailed elsewhere in my writings. Boko Haram's approach to change the society should be suppressed by all means of force. They most be told that they are not in the right way of reaction although they are telling the truth. Their violent act is highly un-Islamic; their proposed strategy has no shred of authority in the religion. They are killing innocent people; therefore, they most be killed wherever they are met. We must tell them that if they are fair in their faith to bring change in Muslim Education let them first use their intellect, insight, and memory so as to produce Islamistic theories and ideologies in all virtually fields of Sciences and social sciences. Let them first produce and propagate volumes of books and journals containing Islamic worldview about economy, politics, government, banking, commerce, sociology and so forth and so on. Let them use their wealth and resources to built schools, colleges, and institutions.  Let them design new curricular for primary, secondary and tertiary institutions and present it to the government with a proposal that "this is what we intend to do for our Muslims education". If the government refuses despite of its benefits to the Muslims then, they can decide what to do next. It is only through such political means and strategies that they can overcome the problems and subdue the enemies. These are the most meaningful and peaceful means and strategic procedures employed by many national and international organizations to Islamize Western system of Education in our Muslim nations. Association of Muslim Social Scientist of North America (A.M.S.S), International Institute of Islamic Thought (I.I.I.T), The Institute of Contemporary Islamic Thought (ICIT) London, and e.t.c. are typical example of such Islamic intellectualism in the field of all study. .I.I.I.T it is having a Nigerian branch at BUK old campus. You can go there and contribute with your own ideas.
   Finally, to those who are anxious and zealous to Islamize the negative side of Western theories of study, to those who are ready to reshape Nigerian politics and constitution especially in favour of independent Muslims Shari'ah Ruling System, I hereby, inform you that recently, a new proposed Association (Muslim Development Thinkers Association) is striving to gain school authority approval to be established at BUK new site. It shall be and exciting and interesting Islamic, intellectual, political, and social re-orientation movement through the use of knowledge, intellect, and brain. Theirs is violent; and ours is peaceful; for this is a time of use your brain and not the time of use your gun. I respect West for only one thing: 'they value brain' – an Islamic heritage and legacy which modern Muslims have abandoned voluntarily. 

Till we meet again!                 Submitted by Salimullah                 

HUSNAA

It seems that you yrself dont understand what is meant by western education. Your arguments unfortunately are not sound. They are based on the same premise as the Boko Haram's although I am not saying that you are one. What we should understand is that any type of knowledge is knowledge regardless of its origins, or what it says or what it does. It also should be learnt by everyone and the reason for that is so that you are armed and informed to make the right choices. It is not for nothing that there is a saying that Knowledge is power. It is only with knowledge or education that you can make informed choices. There is no such thing as kufr knowledge or education. There is kufr behavior and kufr ideology. But learning about them doesnt constitute a forbidden or haram  action in so far as Islam is concerned. It is not the fault of boko if we implemented capitalism or interest bearing economies. It is the fault of the muslims who decided to embrace them in their day to day affairs. Certainly simply because you gained knowledge or were taught about these systems, you shouldnt go ahead and implement them then, since Islam has an alternative system, and in any case learning about these non islamic systems vis a vis the western system should help you compare and decide which is the best system to adopt. It is no wonder these days that there are many western economists and entrepreneurs looking and adopting the Islamic banking system.
As for Darwin's theory of Evolution came about simply because the muslims STOPPED researching and learning and left it to non muslims to do so. Darwin's findings about specialization of species and the fact that species adapt to their environments to take advantage of them was correct. The Galapagos Island species as he found them were his strongest evidences in which the same species were found  on the different islands of the Galapagos and each of them  was adapted physically to that particular island so as to take advantage of the environment when it comes to feeding. We find similar examples else where although I cant delve into them as it means I have to go and do a lot of research.
What I am trying to point out with Darwin's theory is that Darwin reached his conclusions based on his beliefs or lack of them as he was an atheist to start with anyway. If Darwin had been a Muslim, he might have reached vastly different conclusions based on his findings. If he had been a  christian he might have  also reached some other conclusion which will not be at loggerheads with his christian beliefs. So in effect, his findings and the findings of those who are pro theory of evolution are not incorrect findings. What is incorrect are the conclusions they arrived at based on those findings. As Darwin was not a muslim, he was unable to appreciate the evidence of God's existence from what he saw. He therefore attributed them to what he thought was the most likely explanation which is that the environment plays a role in how species evolved.
What you must remember is that only Allah is One, but everything comes in twos or pairs. Thus even the limited will that Allah Gave to us we can either use it to worship Him or to reject Him. Allah SWT subordinated every thing in creation to the service of mankind in order to facilitate mankind in the worship of Allah, (since that is PRIMARILY the reason for our being on this earth, i.e. just to know and worship Allah), because of the pact mankind made with his Lord at the time of the creation of mankind. Likewise we know that Allah SWT Taught every kind of knowledge to Prophet Adam, and Made Adam repeat what he was taught to the angels. Probably not all the knowledge that Adam posseses will be made manifest to mankind from this time to judgement day, since if we look at suratul aali Imran, we are told not to delve into allegories that we know nothing about. But what ever is being made manifest in this world today in terms of knowledge is part of what was made known to Adam by his Creator, and till the day of Qiyama, this knowledge will continue to be make itself known to those who bother to look for it.
Thus with knowledge of whatever kind, you can either use  it positively to worship Allah (since that is its primary use for mankind), or you can use it negatively to worship other than Allah.
Another point to make is taken from suratul baqara ayah 102  where the two angels Haarut and Maarut were admonishing ppl who came to them in Babylon looking for secrets in magic and the black arts. In the Quran we are made aware that they did teach this kind of knowledge to the seekers of them, but also warned them not to disbelieve in Allah  in the sense that they should not use the knowledge negatively thus exempting themselves from being accountable for what the seeker of the knowledge does with it.
If we take this example alone, we see that learning and knowing the secrets of the black arts itself did not constitute kufr, it was what was done with the knowledge that made the actions of the doer kufr. As the angels warned, dont disbelieve, which can be taken as use the knowledge wisely and positively.

I think if you are going to form an islamic think tank on how education is taught at schools this is very good. What we should keep in mind is that it is not the knowledge contained in the education itself that is haram, it is how we make use of it in the end. Thus for me, what one should do in this case is not deny students the chance to know about riba and capitalism and all the other type of secular knowledge, we should educate them to know what is right and wrong about them or how they can best make use of the knowledge to their advantage both in this world and the next.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Dave_McEwan_Hill

maigemu

Mai Halin Girma

I really appreciate your attempt. but the problem is that the in Western education, those heretical theories are higly emphasized and they influence our people most thatn our religous moralities. but they would be only studied for the purpose of knowledge la ba'asa. sai dai kuma cewa at end they usually affect our religion. what would you do for a false knowlege like that of darwin which has been secintifially proved drastically wrong. i think it is more important to suspend it. you should appreciate the fact anything that led to astray must Haram. for that i say all those negative sides of western education should eleminated as far as they are leading some our people astray. some muslim student  in the world have been becoming atheists as a result of the impact of such negative side of western education. it is important to apply the positive side and build upon, from our Islamic perspectives, some to replace the negative ones. i agree to say that the problems is the Muslim leaders; but the reason why they behave in this way is that they have been threatened by the Western worlds to implement thier own civilizations.  i need your e-mail address please! 

HUSNAA

Quote from: Dave_McEwan_Hill on August 06, 2009, 12:36:09 AM
A very well composed reply.
Thanks Dave. Seems like I think more clearly early in the morning  ;D

Mai Halin Girma, I still dont agree with you. If heretical theories are highly emphasized that is because we as muslims have not got round to researching and disseminating information to the extent that we can influence our own ppl and turn the tables round. On the other hand as you pointed out in your earlier post, Harun Yahya has discredited Darwin's theory based on his Islamic knowledge of creation and he has gained wide acceptance within the Islamic communities and I am sure also beyond that because not every non muslim believes in Darwin's theories of evolution. This is a step in the right direction and it is what muslims ought to be doing in order to redress any shortcomings which are engendered by ignorance of Islamic teachings more than anything else. We ought to get more muslim researchers who will research into the same areas as other non muslim researchers and come up with conclusions which are compatible with what the Qur'an teaches. This is what we should do rather than say we should eliminate some sides of western education which leads ppl astray.
As for the western education leading a muslim  astray, this happens because the muslim who is led astray doesnt know much about his own religion and is not well versed in it at all. This starts normally from childhood when parents are neglectful of the children's Islamic education. When a child has little or no working knowledge of what his religion entails, he is more likely to believe about the religion, what ever he is told later on in his life. He will be like a  floating twig which is tossed in which ever direction ocean currents  happen to flow. He will be rootless and directionless, and more easily converted away from Islam. So dont blame it on the western education he receives; rather blame it on the negligence in getting a good grounding in Islamic education at his earlier more impressionable age.

Dan-Borno

you should be able to reach equilibrium by now, i dont think
the email exchange will do any good to your readers, so let
the discussion continue on the board.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

bakangizo

Really it beats me how some people are trying to somehow justify the Boko Haram "philosophy". I mean no matter how you look at it, it is a wrong. The whole thing is faulty, and so way would you honestly try to tell me that 'boko', or whatever type of education you seek, is sinful or prohibited in Islam. Like husnaa said, it all depends on your intention for studying it, how you understand it and, mostly importantly, how you apply it. 

Cekenah

What 'truth' is Boko Haram telling?? I think even Alquaeda could lay claim to a more legitimate cause than these guys!  ::)

sdanyaro

Utlub il 'ilma wa law fis-Sin.

Nemi Ilimi ko a birnin Sin.

Seek knowledge even in China.

Mai Halin Girma

Husna I really, once again, appreciate your impartial and highly obejective appraoch to my thought. I wholeheartedly endorsed your opinion when you wrote that "We ought to get more muslim researchers who will research into the same areas as other non muslim researchers and come up with conclusions which are compatible with what the Qur'an teaches. This is what we should do".. WALLAHI THIS IS EXactly WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY IN  MY ARTICLE. I DID NOT MEAN THAT THE NEGATIVE SIDES THOERIES OF WESTERN EDUCATION SHOULD BE ELIMINATED WITHOUT SUBSTITUTION FROM OUR POSITIVELY ISLAMISTIC ONES. IT IS NOW CLEAR TO ME THAT YOU GOT ME RIGHT UNLIKE OTHER REPLIERS WHO DRASTICALLY MISCONCIEVED MY OPINION. PLEASE I WANT YOU TO HELP ME EXPLAIN WELL , MY OPINION FOR SUCH MISCONCEIVERS TO UNDERSTAND. ALL WHAT I MEAN IS THAT MUSLIMS SHOULD BE INDEPENDENT THINKERS LARGELY DEPENDED ON THEIR ISLAMISTIC THOUGHTS AND PERSPECTIVES.

HUSNAA

I am glad we are on the same side then. They say great minds think alike ;) ;) ;D

Muhsin

Assalamu alaikum,

Maybe I should have talked here because of one or two reason(s) (which am not going to mention either), but I have a hard time reading excessively long posts (I'm sure I'm not alone). That inevitably kept my reply absent here, for I have just gone through the thread and the followed replies.

Well, regarding either Boko Haram sect followers are telling the truth or falsehood, I can briefly say they are partly. And are not partly, as well. This (at least my meaning of so saying) has aptly been affirmed and re-affirmed by Husnaa's and Mai Halin Girma's posts. But what can be a conclusion point? Thats the case here, right?

We can draw conclusion by simply checking up some ahadeeth from the Prophet Muhammad, may Allah exalt his mention. There is one I recently came across in Saheeh Muslim's collection. The Prophet, may Allah exalt his mention, said: "Destroyed are those who are extreme (in religion)." He (S.A.W) said it three time. Muhammad Yusuf and his followers are irrefutably sooo extreme. I know this very fact from what I heard of them and personal contact, for I know many of them. More so, one of my elder brother know Yusuf mutually. They had had many arguments and defeated him (Yusuf) flatly here in Nigeria and in Saudi Arabia.

Further still, we, who accept Western education, do not wholly believe in everything it contains. These misguided fellows fail to fathom that.

Have to stop from here. Hope my words do make sense.

Muhsin

Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Mai Halin Girma

Muhsin, my school mate, as you said: "we, who accept Western education, do not wholly believe in everything it contains". Those contents which you do not believe such as Darwin's Theory of evolution, I  think it is because they are against your principles of Islam. hence, it is necessary to replace such ideas with your own which are compatible with Islamic principles, and eliminate all those negative contents as presented to you by the Western enemies. My posted article is revolving around this concept. Husna, whom I may call 'Extra Brilliant' woman, has got my thought right. Muhsin this is what we mean; if it suits your opinion then, husna, you and me are on the same foot.     

Muhsin

Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

neozizo

i have had the oppurtunity, while i was at school, to attend some M Yussuf's lectures. All he does is quote from Qur'an and authentic Hadith then gives (some say) extreme uncompromising interpretations.
His early audience comprised of mostly young people in sincere search of truth and guidance in our corrupt society.
His anti establishment sentiments appealed to us then considering the type of leaders we had/have.
i remember, about 2002-2003 perid, just before democratic elections how he used to argue that democray, Nigerian Constitution and all man made laws that contradicted the Shariah was Tagut-fales gods.
At that time also, i remeber, there was this Jamaican born British Islamic Scholar, Faisal whose tapes and sermons were in wide circulation amongst Yusuf's follwers.
He (Faisal) like Yussuf gave uncompromising fatwas based on Qur'an & Sunnah againts nationalism, democracy, constitutional law, love for non-muslims, Saudi govt and its monarchy and even the Saudi Ulamas for supporting govt to allow US presence in the Kingdom.
These personalities gave very convincing sermons, especially to the oppresed and seekers of guidance and good leadership.
My point is there was some 'truth' and justification to the 'Boko Haram' movt.
(They actually called themselves Shabab).
i beleive just like al Qaeda, the Media exagerated some about Al-Shabab.
But for the record i belive there are more wrong than right.