News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Bestselling Best Books of the Decade (2000-2010).

Started by Muhsin, January 07, 2010, 05:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muhsin

Assalamu alaikum,

I opened my inbox and saw this message, which I feel like sharing with you, great visitor of this interesting sub-forum. It's a list of Best Book of the Decade (2000-2009) by About.com. The books are chosen by people. Why I decide to bring the list is the fact that those books are really good ones. I, in fact, read one or two; and I greatly enjoyed my reading.

The site says: What were people reading in the 2000s? Here are 10 books that dominated the bestsellers lists from 2000-2009. These books impacted popular culture and were ubiquitous in the 2000s.

Here are the books and a short information about them:

1. 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' by J.K. Rowling
When Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was released in 2007, it broke all first day sales records. At the end of the decade, it still held that honor. J.K. Rowling's boy wizard was one of the most popular fictional characters worldwide throughout the 2000s, selling millions of books and drawing people into movie theaters. The anticipation for the last book in the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, was immense.

2. 'Twilight' by Stephenie Meyer
The Twilight Saga consists of four books: Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. Twilight was published in 2005, and the second half of the 2000s became all about vampires! Stephenie Meyer may not have started vampire romance, but her books took it to a new level of popularity. Meyer's young adult novels were popular with teenagers and adults, and were among the top 10 bestsellers for any genre for several consecutive years.

3. 'The Da Vinci Code' by Dan Brown
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown is a fast paced thriller where the main characters have to decipher clues in artwork, architecture and riddles to get to the bottom of a murder and save themselves. Released in 2003, The Da Vinci Code stirred up controversy because it involved a conspiracy in the Catholic Church, and presented ideas that undermine Christianity. Several books were subsequently published debunking and exploring themes within The Da Vinci Code. Not only did this book top bestsellers lists for years, but it thrust Brown's previous novel

4. 'The Kite Runner' by Khaled Hosseini

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini helped millions around the world understand the Afghan people. Released in 2003, Hosseini's book was a gift in a time when a coalition of troops from around the world spent much of the decade fighting a war in this country. The Kite Runner is a page turner with complex characters and situations that will make you think hard about friendship, good and evil, betrayal, and redemption. It is intense and contains some graphic scenes; however, it is not gratuitous. A great book by many measures.

5. 'The Tipping Point' by Malcolm Gladwell
Published in 2000, Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point remained popular throughout the decade. The Tipping Point answers two questions: "Why is it that some ideas or behaviors or products start epidemics and others don't? And what can we do to deliberately start and control positive epidemics of our own?"

I will list the remaining tomorrow, inshaAllah. Wish you all will procure your copies.

Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Muhsin

Salam,

Forgive me; I forgot to supply the remaining novels on the list, and my time has gone. Gotta go to lecture now. Probably when I come back later in the day, or tomorrow. 
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Muhsin

Salam,

Am back once again. The short absence was inevitable; hope I'll be forgiven. Thanks

6. 'The Corrections' by Jonathan Franzen
Winner of 2001's National Book Award, Jonathan Franzen's The Corrections is a modern portrait of the family in decline. Gary is trying to convince his wife and himself, despite clear signs to the contrary, that he is not clinically depressed; Chip has lost his seemingly secure academic job and is failing spectacularly at his new line of work; Denise has escaped a disastrous marriage to fall into licentiousness; and Enid is burdened with her husband's downward spiral into Parkinson's disease.

7. 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time' by Mark Haddon
Narrated by a fifteen-year-old autistic savant obsessed with Sherlock Holmes, Mark Haddon's dazzling novel weaves together an old-fashioned mystery, a contemporary coming-of-age story, and a fascinating excursion into a mind incapable of processing emotions.

8. 'The Enchantress of Florence' by Salman Rushdie
The Enchantress of Florence is a sweeping and masterfully-written historical novel, set in sixteenth century Florence and Sikri, the seat of the Mughal Empire of the East. The plot orbits the fortunes of a young adventurer with many names, the Mughal emperor Akbar, and the enchantress Qara Koz; however, subplots abound, and even the most clever, insightful reader will not manage to guess the tale in its entirety.

9. 'Everything is Illuminated' by Jonathan Safran Foer
With only a yellowing photograph in hand, a young man - also named Jonathan Safran Foer - sets out to find the woman who might or might not have saved his grandfather from the Nazis. Accompanied by an old man haunted by memories of the war, an amorous dog named Sammy Davis, Junior, Junior, and the unforgettable Alex, a young Ukrainian translator who speaks in a sublimely butchered English, Jonathan is led on a quixotic journey over a devastated landscape and into an unexpected past.

10. 'Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned' by Wells Tower
In his outstanding debut story collection, Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned, Wells Tower captures a variety of experience that is as far-ranging as it is close to home. These stories of Viking marauders, teenage girls, and fractured families are violent and tender. They're stories told with the kind of honesty that makes us see our worst selves in the best possible light.