News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Polio Vaccine

Started by Anonymous, March 22, 2004, 09:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Salam Alaikum

I have a childhood friend who contacted polio around 30 years ago and the disease crippled one of his legs. It is a horrible thing to happen to anybody.

I cannot believe what is happening in our state. We are the only state not only in Nigeria but in the entire world that has stopped the vaccination of our children. Despite all the assurances of WHO and the United Nations, our Governor is still saying  that the vaccine might make our young girls infertile. Have you ever heard of such a thing? We don't even have Panadol in our hospitals and these people are claiming that they found this out. How? Where are the research facilities that we have to do this kind of exhuastive tests? Are they waiting for kickback? I don't get it.  

If the disease does not get eradicated our governor and the government of Kano state will forever be blamed. This is truly irresponsible and unforgivable behaviour.

cathy

I can't beleive that somebody wouldn't be allowed to protect and vaccinate their child against a terrible disease such as polio. There are no major links between infertility and the vaccine so really they have no justification to stop this, it is in a sense a violation of human rights, every body has the right to make their own decisions when it comes to health. They should allow the people who want to get , to get it and the people who don't want to get it needn't get it. If only they could see what they are doing, it's a disease that can be wiped out with the help of this vaccanation. I live in Ireland where this type of vaccanation is more or less forced upon you and there hasn't been one case of polio over here for many years,I think if they look at the facts they will see it's a good thing and hopefully they will change their minds and allow it to be administered.

EMTL

Assalamu alaikum,
I think Mallam Shekarau is handling the matter of polio very well. We need to be cautious, especially in view of the fact that the vaccines were recently tested and found to be contaminated with very harmful substances.

I wonder why these adversaries of Islam, who always remind us that our poverty is due to our large population, etc., could now suddenly be so-caring to invest their monies to save the lives of our children from a mild disease. What are they doing about, cholera, malaria, AIDS, etc, etc, ............hypocrites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dua is may Allah (SWT) expose any plans our adversaries have in place to harm us or our religion-amiyn.
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

Anonymous

I actually think that Shekarau shouldn't banned polio vaccine. this is some serious issues that we really need to look into it. what happened to our parents and us who all got polio vaccines? we are actually the most who are blooming all this babies in the country. I think we actaully need to stop using religion as some kind of political backbones. ???

Abut

Salam,
i support the suspicions and doubts haboured about the polio vaccine,what i hate about the whole affair is the way the people rejecting this vaccine are being regarded as ignorant and non conformist.Why has the company producing the vaccine not come out 2 defend their product?why cant the government buy the vaccine from another source?why cant the states be allowed to buy their own vaccines?Why cant we produce it in Nigeria?

It is also important for the state governors to lead the search for an alternative vaccine since the issue at stage is not whether or not the disease exists or not.it is also true that our people are being ravaged by it.so while telling us no to use this vaccine,they MUST find an alternative for us.

Allah ya daura mu a kan makiyan mu.Ameen.

Muhammad

salam
as it is with many other NIgerian Issues, Truth is the culprit. The FG/JNI delegation conducted tests in SAfrica and told us there findings. The KNSG delegation conducted there tests in India and made public the results. The summaries were in disagreement even though the drugs are from the same source.
Now, it comes down to who you believe. Shekarau or Obasanjo? I'll rather take my chances with Shekarau because he is yet to betray the trust reposed on him. The OPV do have contaminants even if they are in small quantity and 'may' not pose health hazards.
Kano people have been pained before and they know first hand the effects of guineapigism (as evidenced by the 96 meningitis case). There ought to be a compromise.
The compromise should be, kano can source its OPV from sources that it knows have no contaminants and the government should subsidize the overhead.
The children are waiting..............................

Waziri

Salam All,

The fact is these vaccines carry contaminants as evidence of the research carried out by Dr. Haruna Kaita, the Dean Phaceutical Sciences Faculty, ABU, Zaria shown. And remember among all the people tasked with the investigation of this issue, none has the kind of academic record Kaita has. I think it cannot be even too complacent to assert that none is as competent and even as qualified as Haruna Kaita.

I think our government is selling us. By God it is when you are in academic environment like ABU Zaria you would be able to come to grasp with the real issue behind all this Hullaballoo. Kai tis good to have access to information. It will keep you be at the alert always.

Anonymous

It is a pity no one is listening to what the gov is saying.  The gov never said he does not want the polio vaccination.  what he did not want is the particular batch being distributed by WHO.  Now since the batch is not acceptable to the state and the state is willing to get the drugs from another country/place why can't the WHO give the rejected batch to those interested and assist the state obtain the batch it is more comfortable with?  I was under the impression that the WHO's interest in the matter was to ensure that children got vaccinated against polio.  I suppose problems will only come if the WHO rejects the states choice with respect to the vaccine.  While arguments and tests are being done people are succumbing to polio and really both the state and the WHO are responsible.  The state should maybe make the rejected batch available to those willing to use it out of their own choice, but that batch must not be made available in state facilities.  But before allowing their use people must be educated well about the states position.