News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

NIGERIAN PILGRIMS - WHICH WAY FORWARD

Started by Dan-Borno, January 07, 2010, 01:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abdalla

I agree many people would hold your view that they probably brought it upon themselves -- just like any other immigrant who gets rough treatment in a foreign land. But other immigrants in Saudia are not treated that way -- and if the Blacks misbehave it is because of denied opportunities due to their skin color, plain as that, and that's wrong.

I really wouldn't go far to "negotiate" as that is too political. I am not even interested in the Saudis or their thoughts on the matter -- they neither impress me nor interest me; and certainly won't surprise me in whatever they do in the name of racism, it's part of their mindset.

My original purpose is to document an anthropological story of a people caught up in a land that is not theirs in terms of their own construction of their identity and denied visibility (pretending a group does not exist because it simply could not exist in the community by virtue of its skin color). In studying Hausa Arabs in  northern Nigeria, I am interested in a masked visibility (wearing black masks to hide white faces) -- so you see, it's purely anthropological, not even social (in terms of remediating programs -- although the book/film could initiate remediating actions) or political (in terms of getting governments to talk) -- because as Waziri says, neither the Nigerians nor the Saudis would care about these marginized people; yet both could use them as internal ambassadors of goodwill -- but probably too blinkered to see beyond both their snub and hawked noses.

I really have no other policy implications aside from documentation. My classic model of sub-cultural analysis is Abner Cohen's brilliant study of the Hausa in Shagamu as recorded in his Custom and Politics in Urban Africa: a Study of Hausa Migrants in Yoruba Towns, 1969, and available at Amazon. So Waziri, go ahead, make my day; talk to your "big shots", and have a stab at contribution to knowledge!

Abdalla

Dan-Borno

Quote from: bakangizo on January 14, 2010, 02:01:55 PM
DB,

I'm really happy reading these from you. I have observed all these things and I, or precisely I and my friends, came back really concerned about what we saw in Saudia. In fact we are thinking of articulating our ideas/suggestions/observations and presenting them to the state government. Alternatively, we may publish pamphlets or leaflets on the critical issues and distribute to intending pilgrims as our contributions. Whatever, we've not finalised on what to do. May I invite you? I have no doubt your contribution would prove invaluable. If you are interested, I will contact the others. One is a HOD in B.U.K, while the other is a Customs Officer.

Hey, Bakangizo, time is not on our side, its Rajab now it seems
arrangements are at top gear for the 2010 hajj exercise and
haven't heard from you about the 'concerned friends of hajj'
so that we could come up with something, at least a guide
for the intending pilgrims this year.

rumours is spreading that his excellency, goodluck ebele
jonathan is planning to reduce the hajj fare.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

bakangizo

Yeah, I know. I tried contacting them about the issue but couldn't get through their lines. I was told that the BUK chap (who's the spearhead) was not in town and is on holiday. I'll keep trying. But if you think there's something we can start, I'm in.

I also heard the rumours that Jatau Mai Sa'a would reduce the fares. Good. Even though it might be politically motivaated.

Dan-Borno

there is nothing that is not politically motivated, this one will
give him a plus.  There is this argument as to why should
a pilgrim from lagos or porthacourt pay same with that of
some1 from sokoto or maiduguri where there is a great diff
of about N70,000.00 (Return ticket) and it is never reflected
in the hajj fare!

I am thinking of coming up with a step by step manual, just
like the one they gave us at madina on our way to makka.
all we need is to sponsor the publication and give it as sabil
for intending pilgrims.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

gogannaka

The hajj fares have not been reduced.
What the government did was to peg the Exchange rate for the Hajj at N135 to the Dollar.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

bakangizo

Quote from: Dan-Borno on June 23, 2010, 12:01:23 PM
there is nothing that is not politically motivated, this one will
give him a plus.  There is this argument as to why should
a pilgrim from lagos or porthacourt pay same with that of
some1 from sokoto or maiduguri where there is a great diff
of about N70,000.00 (Return ticket) and it is never reflected
in the hajj fare!

Not everything is politically motivated. Somethings are done bassed on their merits.

QuoteI am thinking of coming up with a step by step manual, just
like the one they gave us at madina on our way to makka.
all we need is to sponsor the publication and give it as sabil
for intending pilgrims.

Good idea, although I feel there's no scarcity of such materials for pilgrims.

ummutameem

materials on how to conduct hajj are not scarse, some are just not self explanatory, or filled wit unnecessary explanations.

once u get to jidda, time for explanation has passed, just make sure u do wat is right, d time for explanation is at home before going, n i think dat is a task for our govt. but any help is will be appreciated. however i think u should target ppl at home, where they are comfortable n can get someone to read for them if they cant read, alot of ppl dont know what to do, they go mess up n come back, n i dont think there is 'let my ppl go' in hajj is either 'ta karbu or not', in dat case there is a whole lot of money being wasted.

db its a good u want to do, Allah ya bada sa'a.

Dan-Borno

expect fresh reports from this year's hajj Insha Allah
sai mun dawo.

bakangizo

You dey go again? Haba DB! A kyale talakawa suma su samu su je mana. What happened to the 5 years time limit policy by the Saudi authorities?

Dan-Borno

Alhamdu lillah, i am back, amma da kyar na iso.
report will be ready after Christmas, off to Awka