News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Does it really matter who becomes president?

Started by fastboi, February 15, 2004, 02:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan-Borno

GGNK, do you know why i kept mentioning that the pdp agreement
violates the constitution? my reason is that, if the constitution is in
endorsement of that agreement, then why the lacuna during the
illness of yar'adua and after his death, as goodluck jonathan who is
a southerner becomes the president as against the pdp agreement?

the agreement has reached a level where the constitution clearly
doesnt recognize it, if not, why should someone from the middle belt
becomes the senate president and bankole, a yoruba and southerner
becomes the speaker? akwai tabka da warwara - let us allow democracy
to reign and stop all these nonsense.

the best among you, with qualities and qualification to be the president
of this country even if he is from the most minority tribe or region in
this country.

for me, i am going with sardaunan jama'a, shekarau come 2011
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

bakangizo

I believe it matters who become the president. Yes, in an ideal situation/place it shouldn't. But sadly, Nigeria is not an ideal place for such "niceties". We should be realistic. Here's a country sharply divided along religious and tribal lines. So it would be naive for one to imagine that a particular section of the country would 'siddon look' with unconcern while a section keeps rulling. We all know what led to the emergence of OBJ as the president. People from the south felt marginalised. And in all honesty, I can't blame them. I know I would feel the same. That's the reality on the ground.

The composition of the people of Nigeria makes it extremely hard to ignore the role feeling a sense of belonging plays in the psychological wellbeing of the people. And this in turn plays out in their behaviours and attitudes. Consquently, taking the volatility of the nigerian people into consideration, the issue of where the nigerian president comes from can't just be waved away. And I believe its all about the "Fear Factor". The average Nigerian had been subjugated to hardship, downtrodden and cast away by the leadership that he feels he can only be 'safe' in the hands of his/her kinsman. That's the unfortunate reality. But I'm optimistic this would change with good run of leadership when and if we are lucky enough to have one in the near future. Then, and only then, would people feel safe and confident to wave away the religious/tribal/regional identity of a potential president as a pre-requisite.