News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

What will you change about Nigeria?

Started by Suleman, June 01, 2010, 04:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suleman

The worlds 10 worst economies, a report published on Leadership today. Incidentaly Nigeria is not included, but then again, neither is Niger. The biggest suprise for me is Ghana, 9th on the list.

http://www.leadershipnigeria.com/news/cover-stories/16222-revealed-the-worlds-worst-economies

gogannaka

Interesting piece.
This quote is exactly a problem in Ghana:

'All have at least one trait in common: Their governments discourage private investment--and economic growth--through policies of crony capitalism, expropriation or arbitrary enforcement of the laws. That makes it hard to generate hard currency to pay off government debt and discourages citizens from investing in education to improve their own economic lot'.

They detest foreign investment.
Ghana thinks that because their democracy has been recognized by the US and they have discovered oil, then there is need for them to reject all form of investments from any foreigners ( especially Nigerians)
They selectively enforce wicked laws on investors. Right now, for a Nigerian to do business in Ghana you have to pay more than N300,000(non refundable) to the authorities before your papers are reviewed. Other Investors are not required to do so. They say they do that to guarantee the stay of the Nigerians.
Also recently,globacom,who won a GSM license to operate in Ghana announced that it is withdrawing its services from the country because of deliberate sabotage from both people and government. And glo has already invested and is planning to invest billions of Dollars into the Ghanaian telecommunication industry.

Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

bakangizo

QuoteGhana thinks that because their democracy has been recognized by the US and they have discovered oil, then there is need for them to reject all form of investments from any foreigners ( especially Nigerians)
They selectively enforce wicked laws on investors. Right now, for a Nigerian to do business in Ghana you have to pay more than N300,000(non refundable) to the authorities before your papers are reviewed. Other Investors are not required to do so. They say they do that to guarantee the stay of the Nigerians.
Also recently,globacom,who won a GSM license to operate in Ghana announced that it is withdrawing its services from the country because of deliberate sabotage from both people and government. And glo has already invested and is planning to invest billions of Dollars into the Ghanaian telecommunication industry.

Are you sure they are not exacting revenge for the "Ghana Must Go" of the '80s? ;D Ka san fa a gaskiya mun yi musu wulakanci.

gogannaka

BKGZ,if they are wise, revenge will not take them anywhere.
The US Nuked japan but it didn't make japan chase away american investments.

ummutameem

Quote from: bakangizo on June 14, 2010, 05:14:50 PM
QuoteGhana thinks that because their democracy has been recognized by the US and they have discovered oil, then there is need for them to reject all form of investments from any foreigners ( especially Nigerians)

Are you sure they are not exacting revenge for the "Ghana Must Go" of the '80s? ;D Ka san fa a gaskiya mun yi musu wulakanci.

i think u guys are mistaken, they are just protecting there country, and i think in addition u must have a ghanaian partner in order to do biz there, seeing wat multinationals have turned ieria into, i dont blame them.

Dave_McEwan_Hill

There is no multinational operating in Nigeria which did not operate with the full connivance of its Nigerian partners. Nigeria is more than fifty years independent and problems in Nigeria are Nigerian problems.
maigemu

gogannaka

That is exactly what the IMF points out.
For any nation to grow, money must come from another country into the country otherwise they will just be recycling their wealth and remain stagnant.
People need to come in with their monies from their countries and spend it in your country. Then you will have growth.
Nigerians are eager and willing to contribute to the growth of the Ghanaian economy but they don't want it.
The IMF has seen this trait and have outlined why their economy is badly managed.

@ Dave i don't seem to understand your point???

Dave_McEwan_Hill

It is in response to the previous post, and I am pointing out that the "multinationals" can only operate in any country as that country  allows them to. If these multinationals are misbehaving in Nigeria Nigeria has all the power it needs to stop them doing so.

The problem is the same worldwide. Multinationals always do their business by getting politicians to favour them by the simple expedient of some form of bribery or other. This does not necessarily mean sums of money. Directorships and other favours are doled out. It is exactly the same in the UK but rather better concealed than it is in Nigeria. 
maigemu

Suleman

Read Mr president speaking in Abuja saying that Greed of people in government, as a result of corruption, is the greatest reason we have not reached potential. I Sometimes wonder if our leaders actually know what the root of our problems is. I tend to think corruption is the result of where we are today but something must have given birth to its spread and "acceptance". A root cause analysis comes to mind.

(WARNING ! Not for the faint hearted)

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/front-page-news/6858-rumbles-in-senate-over-disparity-in-allowances-senators-angry-with-principal-officers-over-jumbo-pay-greed-nigerias-number-one-problem-jonathan

Suleman

I read in a newspaper that Mr President has setup a facebook account and has already started getting inputs/advice from "ordinary" Nigerians on the way forward for the country. Most contributors seem to suggest that the immediate problem to be addressed should be electricity for obvious reasons. I, however, tend to think security requires more urgency than any other issue. I agree that we do have quite a number of high priorities to deal with, but with our meagre resources, including time, it is pertinent that we get the order right for maximum results.

gogannaka

Both are important. Security is one of the reasons there is no power in the country as the gas pipelines keep getting Vandalized.
Likewise lack of power is the cause of insecurity as the youth have no work to do so they resort to violence to make their ends meet.

It is just like the debate,which came first between the Chicken and the Egg.
All of Nigeria's problems are interconnected. Governance-indicipline-power-security-fair elections-corruption.
Its a chain.
I believe solving the power issue however,will solve half the problem. There will be economic growth and employment ETC.
I advise him to tackle power squarely and seriously.

Dave_McEwan_Hill

At this point you probably need to bring in a huge, efficient power generating company from elsewhere and give it a ten year contract and a completely free hand answering directly to the President with guarantees of no corrupt interference to get Nigeria powered properly with an agenda of steadily transferring operation and management into Nigerian hands once the initial groundwork is done.
maigemu

ummutameem

and on and on and on it goes. . . .we ll not get tired of pointing out d obvious, only they fall on deaf ears.

just for clarification, SULEMAN, u think nigeria has meagre resources? seriously?

Dave_McEwan_Hill

ummatameem

Exactly! Nigeria by rights should be (is?)one of the world's richest countries. These riches have been squandered or stolen for over forty years.
What happens when the oil runs out?
From the middle belt up to the northern borders of Nigeria Nigeria could feed half of Africa in grain and supply all of Europe with all its vegetables. This potential has been squandered also as agricultural improvement - the countries greatest potential - has been ignored.
The huge groundnut programmes which were worth billions to the Nigerian economy were destroyed by idiotic government controls and the huge potential of the south,east and west in a huge variety of crops - coffee, banana, hardwoods,and all sorts of fruits etc etc etc never given any help or assistance.

God help Nigeria
maigemu

ummutameem

@dave, exactemento! and amen to your prayer, may Allah give us the wisdom to use our abundant resources positevely and may HE give those greedy and corrupt officials the power to overcome their weaknesses and allow us to develop meaningfully and successfully. Amen