News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

FG to sack 50,000 workers •Plans after service training for those to be affected

Started by bamalli, June 02, 2010, 11:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

bamalli

FG to sack 50,000 workers •Plans after service training for those to be affected

Written by Clement Idoko, Abuja


THE Federal Government may have resolved to lay off over 50,000 of its workers in the next three months in line with the ongoing reform in the Federal Civil Service.


A source close to the office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation told the Nigerian Tribune that the process of collation of names of the workers in the mass sack had been ongoing.


It was gathered that the workers to be mostly affected are in the executive cadre, and to perfect the plan, the source said the Head of Civil Service of the Federation, Mr. Stephen Oronsaye, had issued a circular to compile the data of the affected staff.


Besides, it was gathered that Oronsaye had inaugurated a committee to advise him on how to reposition the Executive Officer cadre in the Federal Civil Service as part of efforts to reinvigorate the service for effective performance and efficient service delivery.


The head of service, in the circular with reference number HCSF/CMO/RCM/106, dated April 7, 2010, entitled, "Repositioning the executive officer cadre in the federal service" and signed by one M. Zakari, stated that "the head of the civil service of the federation has appointed a committee to advise him on how to deal with the multifarious problems associated with the Executive Officer Cadre in line with ongoing reforms of the federal civil service."


It was also gathered that forms were attached to the circular sent to ministries, departments and agencies, to serve as template for documentation of relevant information on the affected personnel.


The circular, which is already causing apprehension among the affected staff, further said "the exercise will require ministries, departments and agencies to provide information on executive officers to the Committee on the biodata on all categories of executive officers in all MDAs in the template attached herewith; the number of executive officers needed in each MDA according to a given format."


Apart from alleged redundancy and in effectiveness in the discharge of duties, the source said "The exercise was meant to totally reduce the number of diploma holder, either National Diploma (ND) or Higher National Diploma (HND) in the civil service," adding that government was planning to engage them in post service training that would help them get integrated into the business after service."


Some directors and permanent secretaries were similarly eased out of office early this year following the implementation of the new policy of eight-year office tenure in line with the ongoing public service reform.


But this is coming even when the government is still struggling with the payment of the backlog of the severance package and pension arrears of about 30,000 workers affected in the right-sizing exercise of the last administration under former President Olusegun Obasanjo.


Reacting to the development when contacted on his mobile phone, the Deputy Director in charge of Press and Public Relations in the Office of the Head of Civil Service, Mr. Tope Ajakaye, denied knowledge of such plans to sack workers.


He, however, said that he was aware of a committee that was set up by the Head of Service on how to reposition the executive officers' cadre, and that the intention was not to lay off workers but how to strengthen the capacity of the workers.


He said: "There is no truth in what you have said. I'm not aware of any such plans."


Frm:Nigerian Tribune