News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

SOCCER UPDATE

Started by Negus, May 19, 2004, 04:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Negus

Fletcher to skipper Scotland aged 20

Darren Fletcher was today told he is to be handed the Scotland captaincy at the tender age of 20.  

The decision to give the Manchester United midfielder the armband for tomorrow night's friendly in Estonia means he is almost certainly Scotland's youngest ever captain - and definitely the most youthful in living memory.

Scotland manager Berti Vogts decided to pick Fletcher ahead of Steven Pressley, who is captain at Hearts, in the absence of Barry Ferguson, the first choice skipper and Christian Dailly, his deputy.

Vogts said: 'Darren Fletcher is a guy in a key position in my team and a key player for the World Cup qualifiers.

'He is the future of Scotland and also the future Scotland captain - and I think he is the future captain of Manchester United.'

Portsmouth midfielder Nigel Quashie is set to make his Scotland debut and in the process become the first black player to represent the country since Andrew Watson in the 1881-82 season.

A former England B international, who re-qualifies through a Glaswegian grandfather, Quashie could also be joined in the starting line-up by fellow debutant and Pompey team-mate Richard Hughes.

Norwich duo Malky Mackay and Gary Holt are also in the starting line-up but Vogts has still to decide on certain positions after 18 players made themselves unavailable.

Pressley is set to play the first 45 minutes but is likely to captain the side in Edinburgh on Sunday when the season ends with a friendly against Trinidad and Tobago.

Negus

Capello Makes Shock Juve Move

05/28/2004. AS Roma coach Fabio Capello has signed a three-year contract with Juventus.

The former Bianconeri player has reportedly taken a pay-cut to join the club, and will earn just over ?2m per season.

It had been expected that Juve would name Monaco's Didier Deschamps or Claudio Prandelli of Parma as the new coach.

This amazing development will leave Roma fans in a state of shock, having already seen Walter Samuel, Francisco Lima and Jonathan Zebina leave the club.

Emerson is expected to follow suit.

Negus

CHELSEA MAKE DROGBA APPROACH

Chelsea have approached Marseille with a view to signing Didier Drogba at the end of next season, but l'OM have stated that their Ivory Coast attacker is not for sale.

Drogba starred in the French club's charge to the Uefa Cup final, playing particularly well in the semi-final win over Newcastle United.

The African has pledged to remain at Stade Velodrome for at least another season, but Chelsea are already planning for the future with Roman Abramovich's transfer chest always a tempting proposition for any selling clubs.

"They have contacted us about Drogba but have not made a precise bid," confirmed Marseille chairman Christophe Bouchet.

"We met Chelsea and Juventus officials out of courtesy but a transfer is out of the question.

"We want to build a winning team around Didier."

Marseille have signed Habib Bamogo from relegated Montpellier which has sparked speculation in some quarters that he could be a long-term replacement for Drogba.

Bamogo is signing a five-year deal with his new club with Montpellier receiving around ?4 million for their top scorer.

The deal has not been finalised because Bamogo is in Burkina Faso at the moment.

Negus

Boro Open Talks With Kluivert

05/28/2004. Middlesbrough have opened talks with Dutch striker Patrick Kluivert.

The 27-year-old is a free agent following his release by Barcelona, although his wages of around ?70,000 a week is likely to be a stumbling block.

Boro chief executive Keith Lamb said: "Any potential deal is at a very early stage."

Kluivert was released along with fellow Dutchman Edgar Davids, Phillips Cocu and Marc Overmars earlier this week.

The former Ajax star has repeatedly been linked with a move to English football.

Negus

GRAILLE: UNITED TO SIGN HEINZE

Friday 28th May 2004
Paris Saint Germain president Francis Graille thinks Gabriel Heinze is likely to complete his proposed move to Manchester United, even though Valencia are also reportedly keen on the Argentina international.

Sir Alex Ferguson has targeted the unspectacular 26-year-old stopper, who will miss the French Cup final with Chateauroux due to his international commitments.

Graille is ready to do business with United despite relations between the two clubs becoming strained during The Red Devils' failed bid to land PSG's star turn Ronaldinho last summer.

"We are keeping in touch with Manchester United's chief executive (David Gill)," Graille told PA International.

"I am confident but we will see what happens in the coming days."

Chelsea tried to sign Heinze in January and the player expressed a determination to represent a major club.

"Now Chelsea is the chance of my whole life," he said at the time.

"It is a massive club with very important ambitions.

"Everyone dreams of one day playing for a big team."

The former Real Valladolid man is capable of playing as centre back but also at left back which could explain Ferguson's interest in the player.

The Scot has been using John O'Shea as a makeshift left back since Mikael Silvestre's switch to the middle and it may transpire, when Rio Ferdinand returns from suspension, that Heinze is being earmarked for a left-sided role at Old Trafford.

Indeed, the South American played more often on the flank for PSG last term as Frederic Dehu and Jose Karl Pierre Fanfan filled the central slots.

Negus

Djalminha set to leave Deportivo

MADRID, May 28 (Reuters) - Brazilian midfielder Djalminha is to leave Deportivo Coruna after agreeing to end his contract with the Primera Liga side.
The 33-year-old former international, who joined Deportivo in 1997 from Palmeiras, had been in dispute with the club over money owed to the Spanish tax authorities as a result of earnings derived from his image rights.

The two parties settled the dispute late on Thursday, reaching an agreement whereby Djalminha will be released from the remaining year of his contract while the club will pay part of the money owed to the tax authorities.

Deportivo said the deal also included a clause which prevented Djalminha from signing for another Spanish club.

Djalminha, who played a key role in helping Deportivo to their first ever league title in 2000, said he was relieved to have settled the dispute and wanted to thank the fans at the club for all the support they had given him.

'I'm never going to forget the fans, especially because they have always helped me when things haven't gone well and that has given me a great deal of motivation,' he told a news conference after the deal had been agreed.

'Now I'm beginning a new stage in my career and I hope to find a new team as soon as possible because I am keen to get back to work.'

Negus

Del Neri: Porto Have Been In Touch

05/28/2004. Chievo coach Luigi Del Neri has confirmed that Porto would like him to replace the departing Jose Mourinho.

"Yes, they have contacted my agent and there is a possibility." he told Portugal's Radio Renascenca.

"Porto are a beautiful team that anyone would want to coach."

Del Neri has been linked with the job for some weeks now.

Negus

Houllier Slams Diouf

05/28/2004. Former Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier has slammed El Hadji Diouf for failing to deliver in his two-years at Anfield.

Houllier, who was sacked on Monday, has singled out the Senegalese forward for criticism and believes his poor form has played a part in his own demise.

"I believe I have prepared the team for tomorrow with (Milan) Baros, (Djibril) Cisse, (John Arne) Riise, (Anthony) Le Tallec and (Florent) Sinama-Pongolle. But you know there are never perfect reinforcements," Houllier told L'Equipe.

"The disappointment is El Hadji Diouf, because he has a big potential, but he was never steady.

"Sometimes he didn't give a good image of the club and it probably harmed me."

Diouf joined for ?10m from Lens soon after the 2002 World Cup finals.

Negus

Ranieri Favourite For Roma Post

05/28/2004. Chelsea coach Claudio Ranieri has emerged as the front-runner to take over at Roma after Fabio Capello's shock departure to Juventus.

Ranieri looks to be in the final straight of his Chelsea career, and has revealed his admiration for hometown club Roma.

"I am a Roma supporter and would obviously love to come back here," he had said. "I'd even be willing to take a risk for this club, but first I'd have to be sure there was a project in place."

Perugia's Serse Cosmi and Claudio Prandelli of Parma are other candidates.