News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Find your Islamic Birthday!

Started by Fateez, June 24, 2004, 01:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fateez

~*Salaam*~

Ever wanted to find out ur Birthday according to the Islamic Lunar calendar?

www.islam.com/islamicdates.asp

I just found out i was born on da 28th of Jumadal Ula, what's urs?
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

Dante

Really good to know what your age is really is.
I just realised i'm 26 years old (ISLAMICALLY)

Nice one Fateez!

ummita

errr.......juss wanted 2 add 2 dis, there hav been alot of controversies surrounding birthdays, some say its haram 2 celebrate or mark ur birthday. However, I dont think it will be haram 2 juss KNOW ur birthday right? Though am not pretty sure about it myself.
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!

Dante

Quote from: "ummita"errr.......juss wanted 2 add 2 dis, there hav been alot of controversies surrounding birthdays, some say its haram 2 celebrate or mark ur birthday. However, I dont think it will be haram 2 juss KNOW ur birthday right? Though am not pretty sure about it myself.

Ummita u reminded me of the mauludin Nabiyyurrahmati that takes place yearly (islamic calender).

But our people forgot all about them. its a shame nowadays when you ask a university student to tell you the names of all the islamic months, i bet u'll get 1 out of 10 who knows them off head!

I think its a good idea to celebrate your islamic birthday!

هو الذي

ummita

Dante, u might hav got me wrong there. Yes knowin your Islamic birthdays is sooooooo ok. Some said celebrating birthdays has no source whatsoever in the pure Shari'ah.  In fact, it is an innovation, since the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Whosever introduces anything into this matter of ours that does not belong to it shall have that action rejected.".... page 33. From other sources it provides that if a person wants to commemorate his/her date of birth, then he/she may do so, especially if he/she takes the opportunity to reflect on the past and pledge to be better during the following year. However, do some ppl actually do dat? Nope! some of dem simply mark their birth date as an important occasion (u know like big deaaaaaal) which is not recommended or encouraged cus wen most ppl say birthday its sumthin 2 do wit music/dance, xtravaganza makin it in2 sumthin hugeeeeeeeeeeeee! Ok mayb a lil celebratin aint bad. But my question earlier on is that, is it permissable 4 a muslim 2 celebrate birthdays? Am about 50% sure dat its not but then again I might b wrong. I know 4 a fact dat I did celebrate birthdays, Later I learnt that it was wrong but my relatives/peeps still celebrate their birthdays & mine & its still happenin despite makin myself absent on a few occasions. So whether it is good idea to celebrate Islamic birthday is not wat I wud personally design my conclusion 2 fit my clear concious mind just because it says & has d word "ISLAMIC" birthdays but the question is: According 2 shariah law is is right 2 celebrate d day u were born or do u actually get Zuneeb 4 duin so?

Aheemmm.....ehem & 4 d Islamic months, we wnt blame ppl dat dnt know dem in arabic bcus we hav a diff native tongue. D only thing which we must know in arabic is how 2 recite Quran, besides that ppl can know their Islamic calendars in hausa or fulde or their language. Its juss like knowin days of d wk hausa. One does nt hav 2 know it in arabic. 2 b quite honest I didnt know ALL my islamic calendar yrs off- head, I gt 2 know ALL of dem 3yrs ago. As 4 days of d wk in Hausa; am always mistakin Talata for Latanin or am always askin when or wat is Latanin in English or my language(aint a shame infact am happy dat I now know [laffs] ). Aint a crime wen one does not know. We r not perfect. We seek 2 know, knowledge does nt seek us!

And again Dante, even though I hav neva observed d celebratin of Maulud, which is, if am not mistaken d celebratin of Muhammad (S.A.W) birth date. I HEAR SAY that its not right 2 celebrate Maulud though Allah wa'alam.

*Phew* u know there r so many harams & halals about things & so many controversies surroudin dem dat u end up lost & confused. I just opened a topic here on one of d issues as well (she smiles).

Fateez, I tried accessin d site but its unavaible 2 me.

Twinkle

BIRTHDAYYYYYYYY? WELL I THINK ONE CAN CELEBRATE BUT TO IN A DRAMATIC WAY BUT IF SOMEONE ADOPTS THE YAHUD STYLE THEN NO DOUBT THAT AINT RIGHT. LIKE ummita said if one uses his birthday to reflect the past & thank Allah for his/her future that perfectly normal. But all dem getting jiggy with it. Shaking your assets. Blowing candles. Dancing with ladies & fellas, having games those are all WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. THAT IS CELEBRATING BIRTHDAY FOR THE WRONG REASONS AND THEREFORE IS HARAM!
color=red]I RULE IN A UNIQUE WAY!

[/color]
[/i]

Hafsy_Lady

AS-SALAMUALAIKUM
MY DEAR FATEEZ, ITS NICE TO KNOW MY ISLAMIC BIRTHDAY.  

FOR THOSE WANTING TO KNOW ABOUT THE CELEBRATION OF BIRTHDAYS IN ISLAM. PLEASE VISIT THIS WEBSITE.
www.islamicity.com
What you see is what you get[/b]

Dante

Quote from: "ummita"
And again Dante, even though I hav neva observed d celebratin of Maulud, which is, if am not mistaken d celebratin of Muhammad (S.A.W) birth date. I HEAR SAY that its not right 2 celebrate Maulud though Allah wa'alam.

*Phew* u know there r so many harams & halals about things & so many controversies surroudin dem dat u end up lost & confused. I just opened a topic here on one of d issues as well (she smiles).

Fateez, I tried accessin d site but its unavaible 2 me.

Ummita kenan.

Firstly, if u take a look @ how & what is done on maulud days, everyone would like that day to come in once or twice a month.

On the maulud day, its pure prayers that are made (Inviting all the Ulama'a's to come in one place and pray for all). In Some places like ma home town kano and in other Arewa locations, Small children are brought out on stage to recite Qur'ani. These kids love this day as any other normal western kid love christmas day. Everyone of them dresses well, looking good... and its really nice to have all these...

Not even to say we call that day (Maulud day), but the events of that day is something alone that is...

Secondly its the day Nabiyurrahmati was born (wanda danshi akai duniya baki daya)!

Thirdly, its a Holy month; Cuz of his birth! the list is endless... about this holy day!

Forthly, its good you say Astagfirullah, cuz i think (kinyi sabo).

Lastly; If i said something wrong here, pls correct ma mistakes. coz i just wrote all i said without any further indetail observation.

M/S.

ummita

Salaamz Brotha Dante,
Minkam, gaskiya you didnt get me. Probably u brush-read through what I wrote. I said I HEARSAY & after saying what I heard I ended it up with Allah wa'alam indicating am not 100% sure of the truth of this matter and that is in fact the reason I brought the question up.

You are soooooo right. Reciting qur'an, ulamahz gathering together, children dressing up gorgeously to read is absolutely fine and fantastic! The moment of maulud 2 b observed once a yr is perfectlyyyyyyyyy alright. Some ppl said during Maulud, you find a certain class of people that seat and beat drums and jump and do so many things, taking it to the extremes. And if u had clearly read what I wrote na fada nace I HEAR SAY.So benyi sabo ba fa koh instead you didnt get wat I meant! But I will still say astagfirullah it will wipe oda unknown blunders (she laffs).
I know wat maulud stands & symbolises but as I have never been present in a maulud celebration then I do not know the truth about how people celebrate it. Of course if people are reading qur'an xcetra xcetra thats is right.  This is not my conclusions or judgements or even my belief on celebrating maulud. I hav little knowledge on this so since you know I wouldnt mind an insight on the drum beat and ppl celebrating it wayyyy not in accordance. Kindly shed more light on this please. Ma'assalam

Dante

Quote I hav little knowledge on this so since you know I wouldnt mind an insight on the drum beat and ppl celebrating it wayyyy not in accordance. Kindly shed more light on this please. Ma'assalam  

Salaam,

I never heard of such drum beats during maulud! but i know of a thing something similar to drum used to make some gr8 sound that is used during maulud or other events known as (MANDIRI) which was used during the time of prophet M.S.A.W. when he left on a Hijrah for madina from mecca. When he arrived @ madina the ppl there used MANDIRI to welcome him and the arab young girls where singing while the guys hit the MANDIRI.

Ina akaramakallahu yake ne (EMTL) shed more light pls...

Fateez

Salaam

Maulud is supposed to be a blessed day. Traditional scholars generally agree that it is permitted to celebrate the Prophet?s (SAW) birthday as long as the celebrations are free of the unlawful acts. if these matters are not found, the event is permitted.

We are supposed 2 be happy and rejoice tha birth of the prophet (SAW). But there is a lot of controversy about it. it wouldn't be bad if u call people over, family and friends and enjoy a big feast.

Dante, it's true. Many people beat drums during Maulud. even during Hawan Salllah in da north. The horse paraders usually have drummers with kalangu and kakaki.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

Fateez

Quote from: "Hafsy_Lady"
AS-SALAMUALAIKUM
MY DEAR FATEEZ, ITS NICE TO KNOW MY ISLAMIC BIRTHDAY.  

FOR THOSE WANTING TO KNOW ABOUT THE CELEBRATION OF BIRTHDAYS IN ISLAM. PLEASE VISIT THIS WEBSITE.
www.islamicity.com

It's nice having u back, hafsy

Ummita If u can't open da page, u can go to www.islam.com

and follow da links 2 birthdays

Dante

Quote from: "Fateez"Salaam

Maulud is supposed to be a blessed day. Traditional scholars generally agree that it is permitted to celebrate the Prophet?s (SAW) birthday as long as the celebrations are free of the unlawful acts. if these matters are not found, the event is permitted.

We are supposed 2 be happy and rejoice tha birth of the prophet (SAW). But there is a lot of controversy about it. it wouldn't be bad if u call people over, family and friends and enjoy a big feast.

Dante, it's true. Many people beat drums during Maulud. even during Hawan Salllah in da north. The horse paraders usually have drummers with kalangu and kakaki.

It does happen in many cases, but i think its good to celebrate with kind of beats like the mandiri.