News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

James Hadly Chase

Started by Muhsin, December 17, 2007, 01:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muhsin

James Hadley Chase
(1906-1985)
James Hadley Chase — pseudonym for René Brabazon Raymond; wrote also as James L. Docherty, Ambrose Grant, Raymond Marshall.

London-born former children's encyclopedia salesman and book wholesaler, who was inspired by the works of hardboiled American crime writers, and wrote NO ORCHIDS FOR MISS BLANDISH (1939). It became a huge success and is still claimed to be one of the bestselling mysteries ever published. Although Chase produced around 40 thrillers and gangster stories set in the United States, he only went there on short visits.

— 'It cost a lot of money', Slim said, watching her closely to see if she was listening.

— 'But money means nothing to me now. I can buy you anything I fancy. I have all the money in the world. Look - what do you think this is?' He pushed the parcel towards her, but Miss Blandish ignored it. Muttering, Slim put his cold, damp had on her arm and pinched her flesh. She didn't move. She grimaced and closed her eyes.' (from No Orchids for Miss Blandish)

James Hadley Chase was born in London as the son of an army officer. He was educated at King's School, Rochester, Kent. He left home at the age of 18 and worked in several jobs before devoting himself entirely to writing. After reading James M. Cain's novel The Postman Always Rings Twice (1934) he decided to try his own hand as a mystery writer. He had read about the American gangster Ma Barker and her sons, and with the help of maps and a slang dictionary, he composed in six weeks No Orchids for Miss Blandish. During World War II he served as a pilot in the RAF, ultimately achieving the rank of Squadron Leader. From this period dates Chase's unusual short story 'The Mirror in Room 22', in which he tried his hand outside the crime genre. In was set in an old house, occupied by officers of a squadron. The owner of the house had committed suicide in his bedroom and the last two occupants of the room have been found with a razor in their hands and their throats cut. The wing commander tells that when he started to shave before the mirror, he found another face in it. The apparition drew the razor across his throat. 'The wing commander nodded. 'I use a safety razor', he said. 'Otherwise I might have met with a serious accident - especially if I used an old-fashioned cut-throat'. The story was published under the author's real name in the anthology Slipstream in 1946.

Chase published some 80 books. A number of his books, such as I'LL GET YOU FOR THIS (1946) and YOUNG GIRLS BEWARE (1959) were attacked for their violence. Although many of his stories are located in the US, he paid there only two brief visits, one to Miami and one to New Orleans. Most of the author's knowledge of America has been derived from encyclopedias, detailed maps, and slang dictionaries. Chase's series characters include a corrupt ex-commando Brick-Top Corrigan, Vic Malloy, a Californian private eye, a former CIA agent Mark Girland, millionaire playboy Don Miclem, and Helga Rolfe. Vic Malloy appeared in YOU'RE LONELY WHEN YOU'RE DEAD (1949) and FIGURE IT OUT FOR YOURSELF (1950), and Mark Girland in THIS IS FOR REAL (1965) and YOU HAVE YOURSELF A DEAL (1966). Corrigan stories were written under the name Raymond Marshall, among others MALLORY (1950) and WHY PICK ON ME? (1951). Don Miclem had his adventures in European setting in MISSION TO VENICE (1954) and MISSION TO SIENA (1955).

In several Chase's stories the protagonist tries to find his place in the sun by committing a crime - an insurance fraud or a theft. But the scheme fails and leads to a murder and finally to cul-de-sac, in which the hero realizes that he never had a chance to keep out of trouble. Women are often beautiful, clever, and treacherous, who kill unhesitating if they have to cover a crime.

www.orwel.ur

Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

GoodFella

I want see the list of his publications also muhsin.
Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if he or she were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness, and understanding you can muster, and do so with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again.
— Og Mandino (Motivational Author & Speaker)

Muhsin

Quote from: GoodFella on December 29, 2007, 04:39:19 PM
I want see the list of his publications also muhsin.

Thats why I provide you with a link which via you can see lots information about him. But any way, if that won't help I'll bring it up here for you man.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.