News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

The Resurrection of Original Authenticity

Started by Baruti M. Kamau, November 05, 2003, 11:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruti M. Kamau

In 1987 I wrote a poem entitled "The Resurrection of Original Authenticity" that was published by the Southern Poetry Association in an anthology "Poems To Remember" copyright 1988.  I provide the poem below as a poetic description of why most African Americans convert or "revert" to Islam. Quality comments appreciated.
----------------

The Resurrection of Original Authenticity
By Baruti M. Kamau

I have swum through the gullible waters of falseness,
looking for that unbreakable light to smash my darkness.
I searched and searched for my lost African identity;
until, I was smothered with my rediscovered authenticity.
Thus, I have learned that my ancestors religion was Islam,
and that it was beaten out of them by the European economic bomb.

I have learned that I cannot look forward to my posterity;
until, I look backwards to my ancestry.
And so, my religion - Christianity before,
my legal name Parrish Roshaun Jones - no more.
My religion and culture is forever Islam,
my legal name forever is Baruti Muhammad Kamau.
FREEDOM.   :D

Ibro2g

Oh My Allah....wooooooooooooooooooooow
wallahi I love this piece and it is amost perfect, iif not perfect at all. Thank u for ths post, u r indeed a master poet.

kanoonlione has the best teachers
Safety and Peace

Fulanizzle

EXELENTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRANDISIMO!!!!!!!! THATS SOMETHING UNIQUE UP IN HERE YALL!!!!!!
SALAM AND POEM VERY WELL DONE!!!
)

Waziri

Tis a gud one. Yes, it gives some pride when one discovers suddenly that he/she has some gud his-tory or her-story somewhere. Tis gud

Baruti M. Kamau

Thank you all for the wonderful comments.  I tried sharing some of my poetry with people @ Nigeria.com; however, I mostly received repulsive like comments.  But then again what can be expected from a website that consist of members who hate Muslims.  Fortunately, there was a good Muslim brother who saw my postings on Nigeria.com and referred me to Kanoonline.com.  He said that I'll more than likely receive a warm reception here.  He was right.  I'm back @ home.

Long live kanoonline.com  :D

Ramadhan Mubarak,