News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Prostrating to the parents, scholars, graves...

Started by Mujib, April 19, 2004, 10:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mujib

Prostrating to the parents, scholars, graves...

Question:

Within a certain community there is a practice, which involves the son prostrating to the parents on the day of a wedding and other occasions, what evidence can be provided from the Quran and Sunnah that this is an act of Shirk?

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullah,

Please see the links:

Kissing Feet and Prostration
http://www.sunnipath.com/resources/Questions/qa00001900.aspx

Prostrating out of Reverence (Sujud al-Ta`dhim) to other than Allah is Haram
http://www.sunnipath.com/resources/Questions/qa00000209.aspx

Is it permitted to touch the feet of elders? It is common in our culture.
http://www.sunnipath.com/resources/Questions/qa00000244.aspx

Wassalam
Hanafi Fiqh Staff

EMTL

Assalamu alaikum,
Thank you my brother. It is thus confirmed from the Shariah that prostrating to parents, graves and scholars is desliked. The slaves of Allah (SWT) should only bow/prostrate to the Almighty Allah (SWT).
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

ummita

Salaamz Mujib, I hav visited d link u provided & jazakallah it was very informative. Howeva I wud lyk 2 tlk bout a few issues.

If we are talking about people prostratin & regarding it as Shirk, then let us first concentrate on our own people. This Act does not happen in certain communities rather it widely practised in a typical hausa society and alot of muslims do that aswell. It does not only happen in wedding ceremonies. It could be possible to say that it has become part of the daily everyday life of a vast majority of typical hausa ppl. It has become a value, a norm, a belief & a sign of showing respect to elders and respecting those that are ova ur status.

We have children prostrating or a much prefarred word (kneeling) to greet their mothers, fathers, uncles, aunties, grand aprents or any older person. Most especially with grand parents or elders if you do not knee 2 d ground, then you have no respect for them. Islamically, that is not permissable. There r decent way 2 greet ur parents showing love and respect. Isnt it?

There's Sheik Sudais & his young son, when ppl started prostratin 2 him & kissin his son during dawaaf. Then goes the "wonder boy" Kharuldeen or sumthin like that his names called, the little boy from Tanzania. He is just a normal boy who has been gifted by Allah. That doesnt make him a different species from us human beings, but how some people were on the verge of turning point, not only prostrated, some started to "in a way" worship him............but I wonder why?

We hav the kings (Emirs) & his followers(counsells,guardians etc) these people do not even prostrate they lie down (as if that king has no other King above him who has none below and above) But these ppl take off their shoes approaching a pass-way & having spotted the King sitting on his throne. We have those men & women that are so rich, and people prostrating as a sign of respect & some, 2 get "something" havin knowin that they can equally get a "betta something" from Allah. I mean c'mmon any king/Emir wit d full knowledge of Islamicity wud definately stop his hierachy of followers not to prostrate b/4 him, havin known that no human should bow to none except Allah, thou some of dem seem to like that sort of attention!  

Are these people not also prostratin and treatin ppl of their own kind as the all superior? When Allah subhana wata'ala mentioned that "do not worship any other but me for if you have done so you have committed an act of shirk". So what are they doing?

Such issues somtyms puts meh in a bafflin state, I mean who do we think we are? None of us is superior than the Almighty Allah. To him, all of us are inferior except him alone the all superior. Then why should we prostrate, bow or kneel to others?

Like in mah case, my own mother told me so many yrs back (Lord know how I still remember!), never to kneel to the floor 2 greet her. She rather prefares a simple as-salamulaikum & a daugther 2 mother hug. Or u can SIT and greet. There r some sayings that islamically kneeling down is not permissable. I will inshallah find the hadith on this matter & bring on board.

In the mean time, remain blessed brothaz 'n' Sistaz  
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!