News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

AMERICA ENDORSES GAY MARRIAGE

Started by Dan-Borno, June 18, 2008, 10:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan-Borno

SAN FRANCISCO -- -- The California Supreme Court struck down the state's ban on same-sex marriage Thursday in a broadly worded decision that would invalidate virtually any law that discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation.

The 4-3 ruling declared that the state Constitution protects a fundamental "right to marry" that extends equally to same-sex couples. It tossed a highly emotional issue into the election year while opening the way for tens of thousands of gay people to wed in California, starting as early as mid-June.

The majority opinion, by Chief Justice Ronald M. George, declared that any law that discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation will from this point on be constitutionally suspect in California in the same way as laws that discriminate by race or gender, making the state's high court the first in the nation to adopt such a stringent standard.

The decision was a bold surprise from a moderately conservative, Republican-dominated court that legal scholars have long dubbed "cautious," and experts said it was likely to influence other courts around the country.

Highest level of civilization and over-development!
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Muhsin

DB,

The title should have been Califonia (as a state in US) Endorses Gay Marriage. Why? You know, more than as I do, that US consititution gives every state of America to have its own 'type' of law/consititution. Now, its reported that Califonia endorses same-sex marriage, that does not mean nor say all American states endorse it. The case, maybe, complelety different, say, if you go to New York, Alabama, New Orleans, etc.

God forbid!
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Dan-Borno

keen observation Abu_Muhsin, but i deliberately did it,
as neither you nor I can seperate California from America
nor the other way round.  That is how the west report news,
when riot broke out in Kaduna, it was riot broke out in Nigeria
and in this case, sooner or later other states will follow soon.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

HUSNAA

What did Al Pacino say  when he played the devil in the Devil's advocate?

'This is my century!' Aptly put.

From the last century that passed to the last century to come, it will be a devil's world.
Mu dai Allah Yasa mu tsallake siradi ameen.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

ummita

The legalisation of gay marriage in US shouldnt come as a bold suprise and it surely didnt to me. I remember reading it few yrs back online and if am right.........the Brits recognised the rights of Gay marriage some month in 2005. Same-sex unions have been legally recognised if am not mistaken since around the 1990's. Denmark in 1989 was the first country to legislate on giving same rights to gay partners as married couples. Norway followed lead in 1996 or 97 I think. One that clearly rings the bell is Belgium in 2003 certified gay marriages. Spain too accepted this rule of law but in their event, it was held that they did have a little clash with the church of the Roman Catholic because they deemed it unacceptable and have conflicted with religiouss teachings.  Anyway France also leached on to establish the lawful acceptance of gay marriages..........*signs* and so it was only a matter of time before the US followed suit.

The amusing part to me is this: I was once trying to send a friend a birthday e-card last year December and by one of the colums it read new partnership cards & I taught what was that? I clicked open a card and it read to "Mr and Mr" the other read to:"Mrs and Mrs" I couldnt help my little chuckle. This world!!!!!

Personally, I have no concern whatsoever with gayism and/or any rights submitted to them. All I know is that God made Adam & Eve not Adam & Jack. :-\ And if one chooses otherwise, aint my biz........Not only is gay marriages permissible under codified laws even gender reassignment or recognition or wateva it is that dey call it is lawful too! This world!!!!!!!!
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!

HUSNAA

Well as the world goes, there is nothing those of us against it can do. But you should care even if u cant do anything about it even if it doesnt concern you. The problem with not caring about issues that dont concern us is that the negative repercussions of the issues are not only confined to the perpetrators of the acts; they affect every one. Suppose u dont care as u said so if Nigeria decides to follow suit, how would u feel?  :-\

PS AIDS first made its appearance amongst the gay community in the early 80s. I remember reading a NEWSWEEK magazine which carried the story of the very first known AIDS cases, in the US and it didnt even have a name then. But look where we are today, its the hetero sexual African who is the greatest sufferer of AIDS in the world today.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

ummita

You just had to shift me from my paper workload.............

Frankly speaking & to reiterate again: I have no concern with the employment and admissibility of the law's attitude on gay marriages even if I deem it unacceptable. What exactly do you want me to care for about gay marriages? I fail to find any dissimilarities between 'concern' and 'care' and for convinience, concern simply means caring about something that interests you because it is important or affects you and care also means an anxious feeling of concern. So if gay marriages is not something I care about nor interests me, why should I care?

Let me get this straight, so technically you are saying because it "can affect everyone"? So say an individual has a 'negative outlook on life' does it necessitate the fact that the result produced by not viewing it positively will end up affecting every member of the society? Societal issues, which I obviously know is out of my reach to manage or change: All I can say is Allah ya sawake ko ya kyautah but still it does not mean it will eventually come back to haunt me because I did not care. I tried yet failed to understand how gay marriage will impact negatively on a person who is unconcerned & unconnected to it. If Nigeria follows suit what do you expect me to do? To gun down every gay partner or sit and empathise on a choice of life style they choose to live or start writing chapters of criticisms or indulging in never ending debates or start a petition that I forbid them from setting such laws?

Sorry, but I simply see no reason to care for partners who choose this form of partnership saidai nace Allah ya kyauta. Turning the table round, what will you personally do if it happends in Nigeria? Besides its not like 9ja didnt attempt to put such law in place last yr anyway. Even though you attempted to flush out a reason for me to care by connecting it with Nigeria, it didnt work because first things first. I very much doubt it happening here where majority of the inhabitants with their differing religious disciplines and their differences in cultural values and beliefts, be it the Igbos, Yorubas, Hausas or Fulanis will have no acceptance of even the word "gay" except for those libertine minds. And really my view on this issue would be the same if it was Beijing, Kazakhstan or the Ivory Coast that followed suit. However, my standpoint would change and I would go on a tumble weed if an Islamic state should make such recognition, which is even unimaginary to think of. But in places where one can find from every religion down to atheism and where some peoples social dominance to viewing things overpowers their sacred and cultural beliefs, what exactly should one who is not connected to it care for? And so if Jane and janet decide to wed, why should I care? We just happen to be adding our little cents on how we view things but really neither do gay laws or individuals giv a toss if we cared or not! :-\ Allah dai ya sawake!!!!!

Looking at it from a sacred point of view, one thing I know for sure is that my religion shows its separateness from any individual who irrespective of observing that very religion enters into any kind matrimonial bond with person of the same sex quite irrespective of whether or not he or she is part of a society or subjected to the laws of a country or state that affords such rights. Saidai mutum yayi addua ko jawaab indan sunki ji toh, not my concern, God is best to judge. Though, undeniably, theres very little one can do most especially if there are variances in religious, cultural, social or legal rulings. And so, to each his own!

And if you want us to start faffing about gayism from a religious point of view, be my guest but that we will end up on the same stand. Though religion & politics r two things I very much avoid discussin publicly due to personal reasons, I prefare chin waging about lighter issues putting a little humor where need be. And so..........THE END. No more comments watsoever.

But am not shifting from my current paradigm..........aint concerned but Allah ya sawake.

King

ummita

Muhsin

Quote from: ummita on June 19, 2008, 03:12:17 AM
And if you want us to start faffing about gayism from a religious point of view, be my guest but that we will end up on the same stand. Though religion & politics r two things I very much avoid discussin publicly due to personal reasons, I prefare chin waging about lighter issues putting a little humor where need be. And so..........THE END. No more comments watsoever.

LOL ummita! ;D Because of their sensetivity nature, I presume. But understand; am not asking why? LOL ;D
Quote from: King on June 19, 2008, 04:09:35 AM
Does anyone understand any of this?

???
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Jack Fulcher

Well, speaking as a Californian, this is definitely a California ruling and doesn't apply to the rest of the country.  California is like its own country - it has the 8th largest economy in the world.  As for gay marriage, we'll probably have a referendum (a vote by the general poplulation) in November (when we have the presidential election - first Tuesday of the month) on this issue, and the result of the Supreme Court may be reversed by this vote.  The polls suggest that people are generally against gay marriage but support "domestic partnership" laws that give rights to gays that are similar to marriage.  I don't care a whole lot about this, but I find that if you can find love you should act because it doesn't come along every day.  If you are attracted to the same sex, oh well.  Nothing to be done about it.  You can't control it, so try to make a normal life and be good to your loved ones.  To let some religious tyrant make your life miserable (and we have a lot of religious tyrants in the US, believe me) is just wrong.  J