News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Word Translation

Started by Muhsin, November 24, 2006, 03:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muhsin

An idea of starting one game came to me when I was writing my novel some days ago. And this should be, somehow like ongoing thread(game) in this forum titled Word Association. The following are the tips for this one, an educative one I expect it'll be.

In Hausa(as one of the allowed language in this discussion forum). There are some few words which some of us (may be majority) don't know their meanings. Thus, write this word  first, then one of us, who knew its meaning should write it in English in the following post(reply I mean).

Although, I now don't have much time, but, if it isn't clear, I'll clarifry everything when I came back.

E.g The words Lefe,kwado,kyankyami,bagin/farin jini,gori,etc. These aforesaid words are, as you know, unfamiliar to many, isn't it? Lets enlarge our vocabs.....here goes....
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Fateez

Ah! i see, like a hausa vocabulary thingy...sounds nice! Hey u write novels?

what kind? I wanna read! i wanna read! i wanna read!!!!!!!! :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

Fateez

Quote from: "Muhsin"

E.g The words Lefe,kwado,kyankyami,bagin/farin jini,gori,etc. These aforesaid words are, as you know, unfamiliar to many, isn't it? Lets enlarge our vocabs.....here goes....

Unfamiliar to who?

Let me translate

Lefe: ----- Those plenty plenty things they give when a wedding proposal has been made. Tarkace iri iri; su kayan kanshi, kayan shafa, kayan sawa etc etc

kwado: ----- Depends on da "d" u r talking about. Could mean a frog or a mixture

kyankyami: ----- Disgusting

bagin/farin jini: ----- Literally black/white blood.  :roll:

gori: ---- oky i dunno how to explain it, ego + pride + boasting + in-ur-face. Usually using something that u have agaisnt some one that doesnt have or cant afford.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

*~MuDa~*

Quote from: "Fateez"

what kind? I wanna read! i wanna read! i wanna read!!!!!!!! :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Zat's nerdy sis'! Zat's nerdy sis'! Zat's nerdy sis'!
...He begot not, nor is He begotten!
www.articlesdir.co.cc

neozizo

Very good game Muhsin.
1 question:is it a translation game-hausa  to english only or vice-versa also only OR lexis game?
P.S.
how come this is a hausa/kanawa forum and we dont have the sannu-sannu chain game going on?iv tried looking for it in past treads but cant find.
pls does any1 know about a tread in this forum where it is pplayed?

i mean the "sanu sanu
                reply: chiwo nake?
                repy:da chiwo kake da baka conta ba?
                reply:no conta ni sarki ne........"
or somethinglike that game"

Muhsin

Thanks Fateez for that. And as I said ealier that I write novels, yeah I do but none of my works are so far published. They are still with editor which from then it'll be broght to publishers.
Moreover, publishing, as I disccovered isn't as easy as one thinks. Its absolutely not a tea party but requires money, time, massive support, etc.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Muhsin

Quote from: "zizo"Very good game Muhsin.
1 question:is it a translation game-hausa  to english only or vice-versa also only OR lexis game?

Thanks for the approach.
I firstly thoght  it to only be Hausa to English but as I now learnt (precisely from your reply) it should better be vice-versa.
As to the point you also pontified about lexis game. So, if we can combine it here no any problem. If you think it better to open a fresh thread on this also no probs.
Thanks once again.

Muhsin

Quote from: "*~MuDaCriS~*"

Ko? :?:  :?:  :?:

HUSNAA

Muhsin
What kind of novels do u write?? Love to know!!
Karubuta mana more Hausa vocabs mu ga in za mu fayyace su(??? Is that correct?)

Lokacin da na fara sauraren bbc hausa, wallahi ya taimaka min kwarai wajen gyara mun kurakurai in my hausa vocabs. Yanzu I know a lot of Hausa words that I didnt before, and I can string a whole chapter in hausa..brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
To yaushe za mu ga the wallafaffen litafin naka?
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Muhsin

Quote from: "HUSNAA"Muhsin
What kind of novels do u write?? Love to know!!
Karubuta mana more Hausa vocabs mu ga in za mu fayyace su(??? Is that correct?)

Lokacin da na fara sauraren bbc hausa, wallahi ya taimaka min kwarai wajen gyara mun kurakurai in my hausa vocabs. Yanzu I know a lot of Hausa words that I didnt before, and I can string a whole chapter in hausa..brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
To yaushe za mu ga the wallafaffen litafin naka?

I write romantic novel. Its romantic in the sense that it talks tall about one spoony guy's relation with other two dames. But it isn't wholly romantic am telling you! Don't think its only for youth reading....Even older ones can admiringly read it I hope.

Moreover, its written in English not in Hausa.

One big gale arise. Here in BUK, our leven co-ordinator suggested me to take Hausa as my second subsid course. And frankly, as they said; Who knows it feels it, I'm not good in written Hausa. Therefore I'm now perplexed, feretting about what to do Wallahi. Amma I know Allah will help me inshaa Allah. What suggestion do you have on that? I almost always listen to BBC hausa.

Lastly, I will by Allah's grace write more hausa vocabs and adages for you to try it.

HUSNAA

Quote from: "Muhsin"One big gale arise. Here in BUK, our leven co-ordinator suggested me to take Hausa as my second subsid course. And frankly, as they said; Who knows it feels it, I'm not good in written Hausa. Therefore I'm now perplexed, feretting about what to do Wallahi. Amma I know Allah will help me inshaa Allah. What suggestion do you have on that? I almost always listen to BBC hausa.

Lastly, I will by Allah's grace write more hausa vocabs and adages for you to try it.

Do the subjects u are good at, or are  most comfortable with, unless yr options are limited. If it is just a suggestion from yr level coordinator, you can ignore it. But to be honest, I think there are advantages in studying Hausa as a language. But the thing is to do what YOU WANT TO DO not what someone thinks you should do.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Fateez

Thanks Fateez for that. And as I said ealier that I write novels, yeah I do but none of my works are so far published. They are still with editor which from then it'll be broght to publishers.
Moreover, publishing, as I disccovered isn't as easy as one thinks. Its absolutely not a tea party but requires money, time, massive support, etc.

That's good. Do let us know when it's out. Best of Luck 8) !!!

Fateez

Quote from: "*~MuDaCriS~*"

Hey watch it!  :evil:  Hey watch it!  :evil:  Hey watch it!  :evil:

Muhsin

That's good. Do let us know when it's out. Best of Luck 8) !!!

Thank you so much Fateez. And I vow to do so insha Allah as soon as evrything is ready

Muhsin

Here are some words.....
Hausa Words:

Yana (which spiders make)
Makara(not coffin. This one if for Christians)
Lkkafani (has this a name rather than ordinary one-yard?)
tuwo (we eat everyday in th night)
banbarma (which for intance hypocrite does)
jan-wuya (like thugs behavior)
etc