News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

YANKARI NATIONAL PARK

Started by Nuruddeen, November 03, 2007, 06:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuruddeen

YANKARI NATIONAL PARK BAUCHI STATE

I was actually moved to Yankari on assignment. I was there to monitor the project that had to do with building of holiday resort and safari centres embarked on by Bauchi State government. I was therefore to stay there up to the time the project would be put to completion. As a professional, I was asked to supervise and monitor all contractors that were working on the project site. Again, my duty as assigned by MOBAT Quantity Surveying Consultants and Project Managers was to write and report on a daily basis what was going on the site as a resident.
However, as the works were now gradually undertaken- the first phase of the project would, hopefully, be put to completion in two-three months time, after which the second phase of the project is expected to commence. I therefore decided to explore my "new home"- the internationally acclaimed animal and plant kingdom and natural habitat- Yankari game reserve!
The game reserve's holiday resort and safari project was a gigantic one, to the extent that one could hardly create time to enjoy the endless leisure of Yankari. But all the same, I thought it is necessary for one to, at least as a matter of interest squeeze and spare some time by putting pen on paper just to let the whole world know what this naturally endowed "animal farm" has as nature's gifts. In fact, my curiosity developed as I entered into the Park's museum together with some visitors from far away Niger State. I carelessly joined the visitors who were taken round the museum by a museum guide staff. Any way, let me not bore you with my own proletarian experience by going straight to the point.
The Yankari National Park was discovered in 1955 by a man called Alhaji Muhammadu Ngeleruma of Borno State. Ngeleruma was then a minister of forest and natural resources in Nigeria. He discovered Yankari as a savannah tourist. In 1961, Robert Culthant, a white man, started the Game's preservation but died eventually. From there, Alhaji Jibrin Jiya took over from Robert the game's expedition activities. He recruited some rangers for the animal's protection.  They then established that the Yankari Natural Reserve has a land area of 2, 244.10 square kilometers. These people discovered a lot of things in Yankari, which makes it to be known today as the great Yankari National Park (YNP) in Bauchi State of Northern Nigeria. Among the most miraculous, amazing and surprising things in Yankari are the spring waters i.e. natural outlets where underground water flows to the surface. There are also great things like wild animals, plants and vegetation, fishes and reptiles, different species of birds, Dukkey Wells, Marshal Cave, which was an ancient abandoned settlement that is assumed to be man-made. There is also Delimiri and Ampara iron-smelting furnaces where tools such as hoe and gongs were fashioned out as ancient technology work materials.
Presently, there are five (5) springs' waters in Yankari. Wikki Spring is the most famous of them all. Simply standing by, or swimming in the Wikki Warm Spring, it appears ordinary except for the warmth inherent in it (constantly of 31.1 degree centigrade). At first glance, the Wikki Spring easily passes for an artificially established swimming pool where the water is frequently replaced as it is being polluted. In reality, though, this spring is the work of nature devoid of human plan. For deeper underground, beneath Nigerians famous game reserve, flows an invisible and inexhaustible source of pleasure and good health. The therapeutic nature of this famous Spring is now world-wide acclaimed. The Wikki Warm Spring flows from beneath deep layers of the earth's crust from as far away as the plateau region of Nigeria. Cleanliness of Wikki water is unsurpassed by any other spring water in Nigeria. This claim is supported by chemical analysis of the water sample. The water therefore in it is natural endowment. A distance of at least 9 meters is accessible within Wikki cave. The cave is embedded with very clean and clear sandstone. Wikki cave is devoid of any living beings such as reptiles, crabs, fish etc.

*The Wikki Spring Cave 9 meters within where natural water flows to the surface. Beneath are stones that reveal out the water cleanliness. Pix by: Jibo Nura, 31st October, 2007.

However, Gwana Warm Spring is also one out of five (5) Springs in Yankari game reserve. Others include: Mawulgo, Dimil Springs (with 35, 35 degree centigrade) and Tungan Maliki cold Spring. Gwana has temperature of 34 degree centigrade and gushes out of red sandstone. All the five (5) Springs flow into a perennial river known as River Gaji, which serves as a source of water to the animals all year through, says Gloria Nyarim Joseph, Zoology I.T Student in Yankari.
Dukkey wells- were discovered by ancient men called the "Dukkeyed" people. About 132 wells are found dug in red sandstone area; 31 kilometer North West of Wikki Camp along Maimaji road. The wells were named after the famous dukkey slave transit camp established during the 19th century slave trade. The site was first used by the slaves and their masters when travelling from Dugum to Pali. The Wells were then believed to have been dug by the slaves and were used for water storage. This according to Gloria, explains how people of the 19th century developed their own technology of reserving water to cope with water problems in the savannah.

*One of the Dukkey wells that served as a storage facility for drinking water by the slaves in the 19th century. Pix by: Jibo Nura, 31st October 2007. Note this picture was taken from the Yankari Museum.

*A female Babboon removing louse for her beloved son. Pix by Jibo Nura, 30th October 2007.

*A male forest pig eating grasses right inside the Camp. Pix by: Jibo Nura, 1st November 2007.

There are a lot of natural endowments ranging from animals, plants, reptiles and other numerous creatures that are yet to be discovered in Yankari National Park. As we move on, we shall try to unfold what mankind could see and explore in this naturally selected but rare region of our cosmopolitan planet.
Jibo, works with MOBAT Quants Consultants and Project Managers in Yankari National Park.

To be Continued.
o try and fail is atleast to learn. That will save one the inestimable loss of what might have been (positive or negative).

IBB

Good one. M happy at last Nigeria is begining to recognise the importance of tourism. Seen that Calabar did a good project in that Obudu the eyes of our leaders are opening to the benefit of tourism to our economy. I learned Niger state is working on turning Gurara fall into a tourist paradise.

Nice one Nura, you guys should do great thing there.
IHS

mlbash

that's good my friend i'll drop by and say hello, whenever i reach that side. congrats and i hope you will make an outstanding job in cost engineering as you've been doing in journalism.
t is my intention to make the neglected aspect of our societies viable