News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

SOCCER UPDATE

Started by Negus, May 19, 2004, 04:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Negus

GALACTICOS ARE WRECKING MADRID
   MADRID, May 18 (Reuters) - A Spanish businessman vying for the presidency of Real Madrid criticised on Tuesday the club's policy of signing big-name stars, or 'galacticos', which he said had driven debt to 352 million euros ($420.9 million).
  Carlos Gonzalez launched his bid for July's election at a time when Spain's biggest club is suffering the worst league run in its 102-year history, with four consecutive defeats leaving it third in the Primera Liga with one game to play.
    'We don't want any more 'galacticos'. This idea of the 'galaxy' has hurt us a lot. We want to be earthly beings,' Gonzalez, 41, told a news conference.
   A season which began with fanfares heralding the arrival of England captain David Beckham is drawing to a close ignominiously after losses in the European Champions League and Spain's Kings Cup.
   Club president Florentino Perez has steered Madrid to two league titles and a Champions League crown during his four-year term thanks to a mixture of world-class signings and home-grown talent.
  Perez has dubbed this a policy of 'Zidanes and Pavones' in reference to French international playmaker Zinedine Zidane - who he signed for a world record $66 million - and defender Francisco Pavon, who emerged from the youth team.
   Perez, yet to set a date for July's election, has come under fire in Spain's sporting press for the self-destruction of one of the most expensive squads ever assembled, amid reports that several high profile players may leave at the end of the season.
  Gonzalez - who does not hold a membership of the club although he says he is a regular at the Bernabeu stadium - remains an outsider for the top job.

Negus

LIVERPOOL ACCEPT THAI BID
   Thailand's Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra claims Liverpool have accepted his ?60million bid to buy a 30 per cent stake in the club.
    The Liverpool board have to choose between Thaskin's offer and a rival ?73million bid from building tycoon and lifelong fan Steve Morgan.  
    David Moores, whose family has had control of Liverpool for half a century, owns 51% of the club and television company Granada have a 9.9% share.
    The board have claimed Morgan's offer does not represent the true value of the club.
    Morgan aimed to raise ?61million with a rights issue and ?12million through a share issue, but directors branded the plan 'unattractive' after a board meeting on Thursday.
    Thaksin, a billionaire telecoms tycoon before he turned to politics, has said he wants to promote Thai football and employ Liverpool coaches to lift the lacklustre national game up to international standards.
     'In principle they agreed to give it to us and now we are working on details,' Thaksin told the BBC. Spokesman Santiparb Tejavanija said: 'I am flying to Liverpool tonight. Our proposal has been approved.Santiparb, whose Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT) was appointed by Thaksin to work on the details of the investment, added: 'What I will sign in England would be something of a memorandum of understanding or letter of intent.
        'After that we will work on the legal details of the investment.' Thailand's dubious human rights record has prompted criticism of Liverpool's willingness to do business with Thaksin. But the deal would provide a financial boost for the club, allowing them to compete with the Premiership's richest clubs, buy new players, and help finance an ?80million proposed new stadium in Stanley Park.
      Thaksin's motivation appears less clear, however. His representatives say it is because of a love of the game, while more cynical voices have said it may be to boost his political popularity in the soccer-mad nation.

Negus

UNBEATEN GUNNERS GET SPECIAL TROPHY
    The Premier League have commissioned a one-off trophy to mark Arsenal's achievement of going through the entire league season unbeaten.
     The trophy will be a replica of the Premier League trophy presented to the Gunners on Saturday, but reversed in composition with gold replacing silver and vice-versa.
      Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said: This award has been under consideration for some time, though the board of the Premier League felt it was inappropriate to come to a decision as to how to honour this achievement before Saturday's game, as it would have prejudged the outcome of a match.
     'Arsenal's remarkable achievement has crowned what has been another season of top-class football with some of the game's finest players displaying the blend of skill, passion and commitment that makes the Premier League the most watched domestic league competition in the world.'

Negus

Heskey sold for 6.25 million pounds
      Birmingham have clinched a ?6.25million five-year deal to sign Emile Heskey from Liverpool. The move had been mooted for several days but the paperwork of what is effectively a pre-contract deal was finally completed this morning and the England striker will officially join the St Andrews pay-roll on July 1. Bruce was delighted to have signed an international striker to bolster the forward line alongside Mikael Forssell, who has agreed to extend his loan spell from Chelsea for another season.
       Heskey, who flew out to New York yesterday for a short break before joining up with the England squad, said he was looking forward to getting back among the goals. 'I am also looking forward to linking up with Mikael Forssell. I have been very impressed with what I have seen of him and I think we can create an effective partnership.'

Negus

MORIENTES KEEN ON GUNNERS
Spanish striker Fernando Morientes has revealed he is flattered that Arsenal are reportedly interested in his signature.

Morientes is currently on loan at Monaco from Real Madrid but will return to Santiago Bernabeu at the end of the season.

He has enjoyed a fantastic spell in France with his goals playing a key part in Monaco reaching the final of the UEFA Champions League.

The lethal forward is the competition's top scorer and his form has alerted a string of clubs to his potential availability in the summer.

Morientes has two years remaining on his Real contract but the signs are that he will be shipped out of the Spanish capital permanently.

Chelsea are rumoured to be among his admirers while speculation has suggested Premiership champions Arsenal are ready to fork out ?17.5 million for Morientes.

That would constitute a mammoth outlay for The Gunners, with Morientes seemingly clearing the way for a move to Highbury.

He admits he is tempted by a switch to The Premiership but is waiting to learn what Real's plans are before making a decision.

"I'm proud that they are interested in me," Morientes told The Sun.

"There are some big clubs in England and it's a very competitive league.

"I've been away from Real Madrid for a year and I don't know what will happen.

"If an offer comes from England then Real Madrid have to take the decision but I'd like to go there."

Negus

Okocha Signs New Bolton Deal
05/19/2004. Jay-Jay Okocha has committed his long-term future to Bolton Wanderers by signing a new three-year deal.

Earlier this season the Nigerian had looked set to be departing the Reebok Stadium when his contract expired at the end of the season.

Okocha has been a huge hit at Bolton since joining on a free transfer from Paris St Germain in the summer of 2002.

However, Bolton boss Sam Allardyce told BBC GMR: "Securing Jay-Jay's services underlines this club's desire to compete in the upper reaches of the Premiership.

"His performances over the past two seasons have helped to fortify the name and reputation of Bolton. His signature is a marvellous boost for everybody." Said Rob Hogley

Negus

Leeds Reject Man Utd Bids For Smith

05/18/2004. Leeds United have rejected two offers from Manchester United for their striker Alan Smith.

The Premiership club reportedly offered ?3.5 million for 23-year-old Smith before coming back with an improved offer of ?5.5 million.

But Leeds, relegated to Division One this season, value Smith closer to ?10 million.

A club spokesman said: "Both offers were rejected immediately.

"The offers by Manchester United substantially undervalue Alan Smith's position as a top Premiership player."

Smith, Mark Viduka and several other players are expected to leave Elland Road this summer, following in the footsteps of goalkeeper Paul Robinson who has already joined Tottenham.

Leeds fans will be dismayed and angered if Smith joins bitter rivals United, but caretaker manager Kevin Blackwell told the Leeds website that Smith should not be criticised.

"Leeds and Manchester United fans are not the best of friends, but Alan has got to move on," Blackwell said.

"I am sure the fans respect what he has to do. If things had been different Alan would not be leaving.

"I don't think the lad deserves any criticism whatsoever for what he has done."

The fans see things differently, however, and Smith was abused by a section of them at the club's final Premiership match against Chelsea last Saturday.

They made it clear they would not forgive their erstwhile hero if he followed Rio Ferdinand and Eric Cantona and crossed the Pennines to Old Trafford.

But Blackwell said: "Alan can go with his head held high because he has never let this club down. He was just unfortunate that feelings are running very high."

Negus

Redondo Exists Milan
Argentine midfielder Fernando Redondo is to leave Italian champions AC Milan, the former Real Madrid player said on Wednesday. Redondo, who is 35 next month, has made just eight league appearances for Milan in the three seasons since he joined them from Real. He suffered a knee injury shortly after signing for Milan and it took him two years to make his debut for the club. 'I am sorry to be leaving Milan but I need to be playing,' he revealed

Negus

Samuel-Real, It's A Deal

05/18/2004. Walter Samuel will play for Real Madrid next season. After many meetings and discussions the two clubs have signed the deal and the news should become official by the end of the week.

Roma would like to convince the merengues to allow Morientes to move to Italy but Real Madrid prefer to pay the defender in cash. However the two sides are also discussing about Emerson's future and if the Brazilian midfielder will accept a transfer to Spain then Morientes will be wearing a giallorosso shirt in September.

Negus

Next Week Cambiasso Will Join Inter

05/18/2004. Inter hasn't decided yet what to do with Vieri and Veron but the Italian club is closing in on Cambiasso and the midfielder could be an Inter player by the end of the week.

The 24 year old's contract with Real Madrid is over and he will sign a four year deal with the nerazzurri.

Negus

Rivaldo Looks Set to Join Celtic

Rivaldo insists the lure of the 'temple' of Glasgow football and the Champions League has convinced him to look towards Celtic as his next career destination.
The 32-year-old has previously stated Bolton were his 'priority' although he was flattered by the Parkhead link.

But the deal with Sam Allardyce appears to have fallen through after the Wanderers boss became frustrated by a lack of movement.

However, Rivaldo has now urged Hoops' boss Martin O'Neill to make his move.

The Brazilian told Sky Sports: 'Scotland is a paradise for forwards and to play for Celtic would be sensational for a Brazilian. Glasgow is a temple of football. It would be very nice to play there.

'The Scottish supporters are magnificent. For them a player is sacred and they defend him to the maximum. They are an example for other countries. To play in the Champions League is very important to me and that will be a favourable point.

'Playing in England has always been attractive for me, but not whatever the cost. I am not auctioning myself to the highest bidder. At my age, although I am in good physical condition, I cannot make another error like I did in Italy - I want to enjoy football.

'Sincerely, I would choose a great Scottish club before a smaller English club because I aspire to win trophies and not only spend the time to gain a little more money.'

Negus

Official: Stam Joins Milan

05/17/2004. Milan have announced the signing of Jaap Stam from Lazio on their official website.

The defender has signed a two-year contract with the Rossoneri which will run from July 1, 2004 to June 30, 2006.

The deal had been in the pipeline for quite some time.

Negus

Will Houllier Stay?

Gerard Houllier's future as Liverpool manager appears increasingly under threat as support for him dwindles within the Anfield board. Speculation has mounted after the board of directors failed to publicly congratulate Houllier and the team on securing a place in the Champions League qualifiers. However, the Frenchman remains unmoved by the rumours, insisisting that he will continue to work with 'dignity'. He said: 'I am carrying on my work as normal.'

Negus

Official: Zebina Signs Up With Juve

05/20/2004. Roma defender Jonathan Zebina has joined Juventus on a five-year contract.

"It is an honour to play for the Bianconeri," he told the 'Gazzetta dello Sport'. "I have only ever scored one goal in my entire career and that was against Juventus, so perhaps it was a sign."

Zebina, who had been linked with Milan, has signed a five-year contract.

Negus

Baldini Confirms Samuel And Emerson On Their Way Out

05/19/2004. Roma's Sports Director, Franco Baldini, stated today that the only two big player sales the giallorossi will have are those of Emerson and Samuel.

Baldini declared: "Samuel and Emerson, for different reasons, are the only big club players for whom offers will be taken into consideration. There are contrasting interests, but we shall have the last word."