News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE

Started by kariballa, December 01, 2002, 08:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kariballa

Arsene Wenger stuttered to the conclusion that Ruud van Nistelrooy was "lookng to dive" against Arsenal on Sunday.

Reds striker Ruud was caught up in a tangle with Patrick Vieira which eventually led to the Arsenal captain retaliating and subsequently being sent off.

Asked whether he felt Ruud had cheated in the incident, Wenger responded: "Yes. I think van Nistelrooy does not help himself frankly. He is a great player but his attitude... he is always looking for... looking to dive. He looks a nice boy but on the pitch it is not always fair behaviour.

"If Patrick had to go off van Nistelrooy should have gone off. He (Vieira) is 100% sure van Nistelrooy caught him (as the United striker went up for a high ball)."

Wenger added: "Patrick should not have reacted but you punish more the consequence than the source of the problem."

Replays of the incident clearly show that van Nistelrooy did not dive, but simply moved out of the way as Vieira flung a leg in his direction. After the match Vieira admitted to raising his leg, which is why Steve Bennett gave the Frenchman his second yellow card of the match. Ruud didn't roll around on the floor, feigning injury, and yet he is accused of diving.

Wenger failed to comment on the incident after the final whistle where his own players pushed van Nistelrooy, the Frenchman using his customary response - that he didn't see the incident.
Ferguson, however, was quick to defend his Dutch striker, and hit out at Wenger for his comments about Ruud. "I am not here to talk about Arsenal's disciplinary record. That is for them," the Reds boss said.

"I can defend Ruud van Nistelrooy. I heard Arsene's comments about Ruud after the foul on Patrick. I was disappointed with that.

Ferguson continued: "He (Vieira) has reacted badly. Ruud has not dived. The referee had no option, no alternative. As for the behaviour at the end of game, I think the FA will be looking at that."

Arsenal's disciplinary record has constantly been a thorn in their side, and it certainly raised it's head at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Report by Ben Hibbs.MANUTD.COM
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

The Football Association has promised to deal with the ugly scenes at Old Trafford as quickly as possible.

Referee Steve Bennett has sent in his report from the goalless draw between Manchester United and Arsenal, which saw Patrick Vieira sent off and Ruud van Nistelrooy rounded on at the final whistle.

The FA has vowed to look into incidents during the game, as well as at the final whistle, when Martin Keown, Ray Parlour and Lauren, set about van Nistelrooy.

As well as the report, Soho Square officials will study video footage of the clash before taking any action against the players.

"As a result, The FA will now review the video tapes in detail and as a matter of urgency," said a statement on the FA's website. "The FA has also requested further videos of the various incidents from different camera angles.

"The FA will be looking at various aspects of player behaviour during the match and in the scenes following the final whistle and will make a further statement as soon as this process is complete."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

FERGIE AT WAR WITH WENGER OVER RUUD
Sunday 21st September 2003

Sir Alex Ferguson leapt to the defence of Ruud van Nistelrooy after Arsene Wenger branded him a cheat.
Wenger hit out at Van Nistelrooy for his role in Patrick Vieira's red card in the 81st minute of a fiery encounter at Old Trafford.

Ferguson was clearly angered by Wenger's comments as he believes video evidence will clear the Dutchman.

"I'm backing Ruud absolutely. The great thing about today is that we have television evidence and I'm very disappointed at Arsene Wenger's comments in branding him a cheat," he declared.

"If I was to talk about Arsenal in the same manner, it would create headlines which would run for days.

"Ruud didn't dive, he was reacting to something. What was he supposed to do? He looked shocked that Patrick Vieira would do something like that.

"We know he didn't touch him but there was still intent there. He just looked at the referee as if to say 'what is he doing'? That's what I thought too.

"It's not for me to talk about Arsenal's discipline, it's for them to sort out, but our discipline was fantastic. We were in complete control of it."

Ferguson was also angered by the behaviour of the Arsenal players after van Nistelrooy had crashed his penalty against the underside of the bar and then at the final whistle.

"The referee will have to do something about that. I am not accepting it. There were the two best teams in the country here and the whole country was watching, and then you have that," he added.

Ferguson, who is facing an FA charge of his own after his outspoken comments to the match officials at Newcastle, added: "I think the FA will be looking at that, but it's not my problem.

"I have enough problems with the FA of my own. I'll probably end up in [prison] and they'll get off."

Wenger, however, was unsurprisingly unwilling to criticise his players for their reaction to van Nistelrooy.

"If you want to convince me that Martin Keown is a devil and van Nistelrooy is an angel then you will have a big problem," he insisted.

"Van Nistelrooy is quite provocative and I would say that every Arsenal player would confirm that.

"Of course, you cannot be unhappy when your opponent doesn't score a goal, but their attitude was not linked to the penalty. It was more linked to his overall attitude during the game."

Wenger was also unhappy at the penalty awarded by Steve Bennett, who sent off Francis Jeffers in the Community Shield clash between the two teams only last month, after Diego Forlan went tumbling.

"Martin Keown said he went for the ball. They both went for it and I think it was harsh decision which provoked a lot of incidents," he said.

After criticism of Robert Pires, Ferguson insisted during the build-up to the game that managers had a responsibility to stop their players diving.

However, Wenger responded: "Diving is not confined to one club but all 20. I agree that we all have to fight against it, but they have some work to do here, like everyone else."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

TAKE POINTS OFF ARSENAL, SAYS SANSOM
Monday 22nd September 2003

Former Arsenal favourite Kenny Sansom believes his old club should be docked points for their behaviour at the end of the Manchester United game.

Sansom slammed the attack on Ruud van Nistlerooy as "absolutely crazy" and criticised Martin Keown and Ray Parlour for their part in the scenes at the final whistle.

The ex-England defender also urged Arsene Wenger to sort out the Gunners disciplinary problems - especially when they go head-to-head with arch rivals United.

"It was a game full of passion, but you can't say in the last 15 minutes that that was passion," he told Sky Sports News. "It was madness at the of the game. For five or six Arsenal players to have attacked Ruud van Nistelrooy was absolutley crazy.

"The Arsenal players, fans and people at the club will look at it and say 'we shouldn't have done that'. I think there will be fines for the players involved and points docked - I do think it is that bad."

Arsene Wenger also came under fire for his reaction at the end, when he refused to criticise his players and shifted the blame onto Ruud van Nistelrooy for his part in Patrick Vieira's red card.

"The message should be sent out by both managers when these sides meet. They need to talk to the players and say 'hey, we don't want any controversy'," he said.

"There's too many managers that say they didn't see it and deny things. The games's got to change. We've got to get more honesty back in football.

"If one of your players dives or makes a bad tackle, just come out after the game, straight into the press conference and say it. Tell the truth and it won't matter as much."  
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Salamu  Alaikum jama,a ina fatan dai abokan hamayya kuna ganin abinda masannan balla na duniya kecewa.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

SOLSKJAER TO HAVE SURGERY ON KNEE
Tuesday 23rd September 2003

Manchester United striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is to undergo a knee operation later on Tuesday.

United are already without Paul Scholes, Wes Brown and Kleberson through injury and could now be forced to do without Solskjaer for as long as three months.

The news means exciting Portugese winger Cristiano Ronaldo may be given more starts on the right wing, a position he occupied during the explosive draw with Arsenal on Sunday.

"It is something we have tried to correct over the last few weeks but it is important Ole now has this operation so he can concentrate on the rest of the season," United said on their official website.

"Ole will be assessed after the operation to determine how long he will be out for."

Solskjaer, 30, is normally a striker but has often been used in a right-sided midfield role, especially since England skipper David Beckham left United for Real Madrid in July.

The lay-off would also see Solskjaer miss Norway's final Euro 2004 qualifier against Luxembourg on October 11 and a possible subsequent play-off.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Rio Ferdinand says United are expected to pick up three points and no less as Ferguson’s side travel to the Walkers Stadium to take on Leicester on Saturday.

For United these are the bread and butter fixtures that must be won if United are to retain their Premiership crown.

“These are the sort of matches where we are expected to go there and win, and hopefully we won’t disappoint,” Rio told ManUtd.com.

”If you don’t win these games, you’re not going to win the league. Whether it’s Arsenal, Liverpool or Leicester, you’ve got to win all your matches. That’s the way you have got to look at it, you have to win every game."

Despite picking up only four points from the last three league games, Ferdinand believes that particular statistic belies the performances United have produced in recent weeks.

”Against Arsenal we were the team that looked more likely to win the game, and obviously before that we beat Panathinaikos 5-0 - so, we’re in good shape at the moment,” he said.

With a full season under his belt, the ?29.1m signing is now a settled member of United’s side, but he has watched the latest batch of new-boys adapt to life at Old Trafford quicker than expected. And even though there is still some way to go before each of Fergie's five close-season acquisitions are fully inured, Rio is confident the further the season progresses the stronger the side will become.

”We’ve got a few new players who are still becoming accustomed to the Premiership,” Rio admitted. “But the longer they are here the better it will be for United.”

Another opportunity for the likes of Ronaldo, Djemba-Djemba and Tim Howard to further establish themselves as part of United’s first team will come on Saturday at Leicester. But United have already had their fingers burnt away from home this season with the defeat to Southampton. And Leicester are of a similar hard-working ilk.

Rio said: ”It should be a good game, they’re a quality side. We’ve played them before and they are hard to play against. Leicester have players with Premiership experience so I’m sure it will be a tough game.”
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

WENGER VOWS TO FIGHT FA CHARGES
Thursday 25th September 2003

Arsene Wenger indicated that Arsenal would fight all of the 12 misconduct charges facing them as he renewed his criticism of the use of video evidence against the club.

Arsenal face a six-figure fine if found guilty of failing to control their players during the ugly scenes which marred their goalless draw at Old Trafford last weekend.

Martin Keown, Lauren, Ray Parlour, Ashley Cole, Jens Lehmann and Patrick Vieira are also charged with a total of 11 separate counts, which could net them a total suspension count of 21 games.

Arsenal could still decide to accept some of the lesser charges, namely those of 'improper conduct' against Vieira, Cole and Lehmann, thereby allowing the suspensions to start immediately.

However, Wenger insisted they would be prepared to risk having all six players banned at the same time as they await personal hearings lasting two or three days.

He declared: "We are a team and, while we acknowledge that we've done wrong, that still means we must stick together and fight for our players.

"We'll do it more than ever now. We will defend our case as strongly as we can. What we can defend is the severity of the charges and who really hit who.

"Martin Keown over-reacted and knows that he shouldn't have done it but suddenly the whole country is really shocked, like there is never any violence in football or in our society.

"Of course, we could have them all the players suspended at once, but maybe I will then have a chance to play again!"

Wenger will also refuse to apologise for his own comments immediately after the game, in which he agreed that Ruud van Nistelrooy had been 'cheating' during his clash with Vieira.

He added: "I will take responsibility for our behaviour, which was not appropriate. But I said what I said and I will defend that.

"I have heard other managers call our players cheats and they've never had to explain themselves to the FA."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Ruud van Nistelrooy will remain on spot-kick duty for United’s next penalty - and Sir Alex Ferguson is certain Ruud will arrest his recent poor record from 12 yards.

So confident is Sir Alex Ferguson in his prolific Dutch marksman that the United boss won’t even entertain the thought of Ruud relinquishing the role as the team’s regular penalty-taker.

Ferguson said of van Nistelrooy: “The two saves were excellent – Lehmann in the Charity Shield and the Bolton keeper made a fantastic save at Old Trafford.”

Ruud had scored 19 out of 20 penalties since arriving at Old Trafford in summer 2001. But The Dutchman has failed to score from the spot this season.

However, Ferguson is concerned about his taken three, missed three record this term.

”What I think he did on Sunday, which was encouraging for me, he blasted it. There’s a lot of players who maybe try to overdo it trying to place the ball. But he hit it as if he really meant it.”

There was enormous pressure on Ruud’s shoulders before he took the penalty against Arsenal last Sunday, and his two previous penalty misses will undoubtedly have played on his mind.

But Fergie is in no doubt as to the outcome of the Dutch strikers next strike from 12 yards. ”He’ll take the next penalty there’s no doubt about that,” Ferguson said confidently, “and he’ll score it.”

Report by Ben Hibbs.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Leicester boss Micky Adams is hoping Paul Dickov will recover from flu in time to face Manchester United at the Walker's Stadium on Saturday.

Alan Rogers returns from suspension but Brian Deane, Craig Hignett and Keith Gillespie are sidelined by injuries.

Adams will make late selection decisions on James Scowcroft, who has been troubled by a hip injury, and Ben Thatcher, who has also been affected by flu.

Paul Scholes has been called into Manchester United's squad after recovering from his hernia problem.

The England midfielder had feared he may need surgery on a hernia problem but he came through training this week without any problems and manager Sir Alex Ferguson is happy to include him again.

He said: "He came through training this week. He's not suffered any reaction. He is a player we cannot replay and it is no risk to play him."

Kleberson (dislocated shoulder) and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (knee) are still absent however.

Leicester City (from): Walker, Impey, Howey, Sinclair, Rogers, Izzet, Scimeca, Nalis, Stewart, Dickov, Bent, Scowcroft, Thatcher, Curtis, Coyne, McKinlay, Priet.

Man Utd (from): Howard, Carroll, G Neville, P Neville, Silvestre, Ferdinand, O'Shea, Scholes, Fortune, Butt, Ronaldo, Keane, Djemba-Djemba, Giggs, van Nistelrooy, Forlan, Fletcher, Richardson.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

People have praised Ruud for the way he kept his cool at the end of the game. I couldn't have done that if I'd been shoved around like he was. I just hope other teams don't think Ruud's going to be an easy touch from now on, and think they can just bully him. That's the downside from not reacting or retaliating. If you get a reputation for being reasonably tough and competitive it can stand you in good stead sometimes. I always felt, being small and slight, that it helped if I stood my ground. I had to show opponents they couldn't push me around.

I think the other downside from Sunday's game is that it puts the focus on Ruud now. Wherever he plays, he'll get a reaction from the opposition fans simply because of the newspaper headlines about him being a diver. I didn't take offence when they called him a diver because last season, he did dive. But I took offence at Wenger bringing it up the other day because Ruud didn't dive at all during last Sunday's game. As for whether Ruud will take the next penalty, I think it's a certainty he will. He's not going to shy away from that by any means. You can bet your boots if United are given a penalty on Saturday, he'll grab the ball straight away.MANUTD.COM
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Sir Alex Ferguson spoke to the press before Saturday's game against Leicester. This is what the boss had to say...

FA Charges
"The response is that we have received the charges against two of our players. They are also sending the videos, which we are going to assess, probably on Monday – the tapes haven’t arrived yet. But until we see all the videos and see what the substance is to it, there is nothing we really need to say."

Strong squad
"We’ve got the blow with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, which was disappointing news for us. My experience of injuries is that when you start delaying, in particular knee injuries, it just ends up worse. So we just get the surgery over with and hopefully Ole will be back with us by December. But we feel we have a good squad, although we maybe could have done with another striker. Nonetheless, Paul Scholes is back. He trained this week and did very well and will be included in the squad for tomorrow, and it’s likely he’ll play. The treatment we gave Paul Scholes has worked. He’s settled down, we hope that he’s back now. He always wants to play Scholesy so he’s glad to be back as well. He’s a true footballer, and true footballers always want to play. He’s been kicking his feet wanting to get back and play. Mikael Silvestre is still feeling his knee a bit, but I think he should be ok for Saturday."

Leicester
"I watched their game against Leeds and they are what they are. They are straight forward, Leicester City. They make it hard for teams, they put a lot into their football and get a lot of crosses into the box. So, I think we are very channelled in how they will play. We are focusing exactly on how the game will go tomorrow and hopefully we are ready for it."

Fight for the points
"There’s every possibility we will have to fight like we did against Charlton. There are certain Premiership grounds you go to, and you can put the kettle on for the way the game is going to shape. Obviously we have a part to play, so when we have the ball we have got to make good use of it."

Scholes irreplaceable
"In terms of his ability to score from midfield positions, you would have to say he’s the best in the country. I don’t think anybody would disagree with that. If you look at his record, he has well over a hundred goals now for the club – that’s phenomenal. We wouldn’t be taking risks at this stage, not in October. He’s come through fine this week, he’s ready for the game and I think he will bring some freshness to us."

Ruud on the spot
"The two saves were excellent – Lehmann in the Charity Shield and the Bolton keeper made a fantastic save at Old Trafford. What I think he did on Sunday, which was encouraging for me, he blasted it. There’s a lot of players who maybe try to overdo with trying to place the ball. But he hit it as if he really meant it. He’ll take the next penalty there’s no doubt about that, and he’ll score it."

Transcript by Ben Hibbs.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United have been drawn away to arch rivals Leeds United in next month's third round of the English League Cup while millionaires Chelsea entertain paupers Notts County.

Holders Liverpool face Blackburn Rovers again at Ewood Park, scene of a bitter Premier League meeting earlier this month, as Sunday's draw saw the top clubs involved in European competition enter the fray.

League leaders Arsenal have a relatively easy start at home to first division Rotherham, while fellow London clubs Tottenham Hotspur and West Ham United will meet at White Hart Lane stadium.

London neighbours Chelsea spent more than 110 million pounds ($182.6 million) on players in the close season in a bid to build an all-conquering team and should have little trouble overcoming Notts County at Stamford Bridge.

The cash-strapped Second Division outfit, the world's oldest league club, are in administration and have been given until December 9 to resolve their financial woes or be kicked out of the Football League.

Manchester United reached last season's final, where they lost 2-0 to Liverpool, after not taking the competition too seriously in previous years. They won it 1992, Leeds in 1968.

The visit of record seven-times winners Liverpool to Blackburn, who won the trophy in 2002 after beating Tottenham Hotspur, is the only match between two representatives in Europe and one of four ties between Premier League clubs.

Managers Gerard Houllier of Liverpool and Graeme Souness of Blackburn became involved in a protracted slanging match in the media after Liverpool's Jamie Carragher had his leg broken in a nasty tackle by Lucas Neill in the September 13 meeting. Liverpool won that controversial match 3-1.

Newcastle United, whose poor start to the season included missing out on a place in the Champions League, were drawn at home to First Division West Bromwich Albion.

Southampton and Manchester City, who like Liverpool, Blackburn and Newcastle are in the UEFA Cup, visit Second Division sides Bristol City and Queen's Park Rangers respectively.

The 16 matches will be played on October 28 and 29.

Report by Rex Gowar, Reuters
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

NEW FERGIE DEAL ON THE CARDS
Tuesday 30th September 2003

Manchester United chief executive David Gill has told Sky Sports News the club are in talks aimed at negotiating a new deal with the manager Sir Alex Ferguson.
The 61-year-old Scot, in charge at United since 1986, signed a new three-year deal in 2002 after changing his mind about retiring.

"We would like Sir Alex to continue and Sir Alex would like to continue so we are holding discussions and I'm sure they will come to a positive conclusion," Gill said.

Ferguson has won eight league titles and the 1999 European Cup at United although he appeared to be on the way out when he went through his first four years without a trophy.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.