News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Possible earthquake in Nigeria

Started by gogannaka, October 02, 2009, 04:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gogannaka

Researchers at the National Space Research and Development Agency (NARSDA) said they have seen the possibility of an earthquake disaster in Nigeria's South Western region.

The researchers said the tremor that occurred in the region on September 11, 2009 and affected major parts of the region is a sign that Nigeria is no longer safe as far as earthquake is concern.

One of the researchers from the Geology Department of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Adepetumi A. Abraham said yesterday at a media chat organised by NARSDA that the country is no longer in the safe region of earthquake. He said, "We have been working in partnership to monitor what is happening in the subsurface of Nigeria and very recently, on September 11, there was a tremor in Abeokuta, Ogun State. I was in there to monitor what happened to get the data for our stations".

"We have learnt before that Nigeria is outside the seismic region, that is to say it is safe. In the last 2 to 3 years, with what we gathered from the Centre of Geodesy and Dynamic (CCG), some parts of Nigeria especially South West is not safe".

He said Nigeria is now regarded to be within the seismic region and anything can happen anytime.

He warned that there is urgent need for the country to be prepared and get ready to invest in disaster monitoring equipments that will help in mitigating such disasters.

Speaking, NARSDA's Director General Dr Seidu O. Mohammed said investment in space research and technology is a must at this time in order to prepare early.

He said the Nigeria Sat2 which will be launched next year is a good material for the country in detecting such disasters but urged that the country need to do more in space investment.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

bakangizo

Wai!!! Allah ya kiyaye. Yadda muke a zaune haka a kasan nan kara zube, in wannan abu ya faru ai sai gyaran Ubangiji. Ai ko Aso Rock abun ya afka wa, sai dai kallo.  Don ba abin da za'a iyayi. Bamu da shirin kome.

Muhsin

InnalilLahi wa innaa ilaihi raaji'uun!

I intuitively though cynically imagined if what is happening in those Asian countries, e.g. Indonesia, Philippines, Cambodia and the rest, was in Nigeria. I wondered what we could do. . .just die, for our country cannot do a thing, not to even protect Aso Rock as pointed BKGZ. What a catastrophic situation?

Any way, how accurate if that finding, GGNK?

BTW, where is Auntie Husnaa, who seems vastly knowledgeable in this field, to tell us more?

Allah ya dai kare, ameen.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.