News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Strange Interesting Things 'Bout Northerners...

Started by Blaqueen, March 01, 2003, 01:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfynest

Quoteif you don't like something, better keep it to yourselves and don't come here and start bragging about the fact that you are in wherever you are or in a place without even culture.
Damn ya'll
A'aha! Here is a guy with a very short fuse. So you think they should keep quiet just cuz you don't like what they say? We do not subscribe to cencorship down here. If you want to impose such restrictions, go to AmbiOnline. Only abusive language is frowned upon at KanoOnline, and you are the one guilty of that.
Bottom line is; If you can't stand the heat, better get out of the kitchen.

Eskimo

If you can't stand the heat, better get out of the kitchen.
Ambi, if u dont hav an opinion develop one by admiring those who have their opinion.

If u dont like what somebody said just say your own or keep mute. :-X

Wasan kanin miji is our culture (unless u dont kno wat culture means) that we are all frowning at coz ta yi hannun riga with our religion.

I hate it :'( :'( :'(

kneel down and greet your elders...Removing your shoes...nobody said is bad...it is just weird... tell us what you think about it. Is welcome.

We have many culture that are very gud, but still there are some bad ones

One thing that is strange and interesting bout us again is "Cire Hakin Wuya"  ::)

What will happen if i dont remove hakin wuyan my son?
color=blue]NOBODY is PERFECT and I am NOBODY.[/color]

gogannaka

QuoteThis is for the Notherners who wrote in this forum and somehow thaught that our culture is 'wierd' If you are not, you may skip it.

I think ya'll suck! (just an opinion)
You guys are not even ahamed of what you are saying about your cultures

What the Hell is wrong with kneeling down to greet your elders or removing your shoes when your are ENTERING INSIDE a place where they are? Perhaps you are in an environment where parents are not elders, where children make their choices no matter how evil they are, or in an environment where ''Freedom'' is the motto like Amrika.

Before you go far remember that your parents or grandparents ar even yourselves were raised in the north and with the culture.

Wasan kanin miji or what do you call it is not our culture. take note. That ppl do something dosn't mean its part of the culture......

shit I'm so pisssed off I can't write anymore but if you don't like something, better keep it to yourselves and don't come here and start bragging about the fact that you are in wherever you are or in a place without even culture.
Damn ya'll
u know this is another strange thing about the northerners..we hate the truth.(honestly).We always see the truth as an abuse......
so ambi please tell me that the northerners are perfect or tell me we dont have bad attitudes that deserve to be changed.
Zancen wasan kanin miji kuma noone can deny that it is our culture..
so please learn to accept criticisms else learn to keep your mouth shut ::)
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Anonymous

The truth is not that the cultures are bad,some even neeed revival,but those to be identified with the culture are not happy 'cos of so-called momodernisation.

Fulanizzle

shit I'm so pisssed off I can't write anymore but if you don't like something, better keep it to yourselves and don't come here and start bragging about the fact that you are in wherever you are or in a place without even culture.
Damn ya'll

WHOA!!!
somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...
mann take ur anger to PLUTO mallam!
)

Fulanizzle

IN OUR CULTURE IT IS ALSO FROWNED UPON SUCH USAGE OF AGGRESSIVE WORDS......
OKAY AREWA CULTURE #1 FAN..PLS PRACTICE THAT ONE U MISSED OUT!

salam...
)

ummita

Quote.

What the Hell is wrong with kneeling down to greet your elders or removing your shoes when your are ENTERING INSIDE a place where they are? Perhaps you are in an environment where parents are not elders, where children make their choices no matter how evil they are, or in an environment where ''Freedom'' is the motto like Amrika.

Ambi ma dear? Wats up?U neva c buta 2 butter ur bread abi sand dey 4 ur Gari, boi or chill chillaps!....

Ok! lemme point that part 4 shoe take-offs! cuz I made mention of it......y wud u take shoes off 2 great elders? Islamically, it neva stated that one shud take shoes off wen greatin elders eg: u c ppl prostrating FLAT juss cus they r greatin d KING ::)....Wats up abou that 2 b proud of? Allah says du noy bow 2 no one xcept Allah. None iz superior 2 me, but heck! northerners fall flat, take shoes off, bow, shout praise words...juss cuss sum1 iz a lil superior 2 them......but in Gods face none iz superior but inferior 2 him....
Puhleeeeez I aint proud of that ....rather its sooo strange & ridiculuos!......We hav a very respectful way 2 great mummy 'n' baba but not 2 take shoes off! ::)

& if u say we all suck........so what? Duznt boda us...as u kan c....we will not dignify ur abuse with a response rather I will say take note wat gulfreind:fulanicious made mention of.

Finally u r really really welkom 2 d family Ambi....but d style needs 2 change ;)
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!

kilishi

Cire hakin wuya is good if you can have a good surgeon to perfome it,though i didn;t remove for my children ,yet i regretted not doing so,'cos almost all the time the place will swell up,and at alater stage the doctors have to advise on ot removal.so i dont think is something traditional.
ilishi

Guduma

Traditionally we have some cultures that are acceptable while some can be detrimental to our religious beliefs. The tradition of "cire 'yar wuya" could be ill concieved and against medical norms. It is scientifically called a "flap" that covers the windpipe opening when a substance is being swallowed. Removing it completely will obviously negate its function and ultimately cause problems to the victim. Therefore allowing it to remain where it was is better, or what do you think?
The issue of playing terms between a married woman and her husband's brother is only practiced for good relationship and understanding to be foatered within the family members. Which is in a way desireable if it will not exceed some bounds though. You see, " wasan kanin miji akwai dadi, idan kana nika ya hau baya"! ??? 8)
As for removing shoes and kneeling down, I believe that the practice only shows how much respect one has for his parents. Even religiously it is said that deeds are judged according to intentions, that is the intention one has before committing an act. It follows therefore that if a child kneels to greet his parents or teachers, his intention is just to show his respect to them only and not to "worship them as God" or demi gods. There are no limits to which children can go in showering their parents with respect. I think the practice should be acceptable, and not to be misconstrued as a kind of "worshipping" which is not what the person intended when kneeling down to greet his parents or teachers.
The other issue is the wearing of amulets ie laya, guru etc to act as a defence mechanism for its users. Is the practice wrong? Has these type of charms worked for anyone? Is it true that there are such charms for protection against knife's cut, gunshots etc? Let someone kindly throw more lights on this issue of amulets, please.

gogannaka

I dont know if anyone has noticed,but walking barefoot is one very strange culture of the northerners.
It used to be worse some years ago (early 90's) when you'll see dozens of children walking about with no shoes(do i make sense at all)..Thank God it's now rare thanx to the massive investments made in the rubber shoe industry.

If you've never noticed this strange culture of ours ,simply go to a local market in any part of the north and observe,you'll find out (to your surprise) that almost all the almajirai's and yan dako walk around barefooted......

Anyway,i'm not sure if this habit is only exhibited by the northerners but from the little places i've visited in nigeria i doubt if there's a place where this habit is displayed more than the north.......

P.S Don allah YAn kishin arewa dont think this post is in any way an abuse to the northerners.

Anonymous

Hey i'm back people

I read what ya'll wrote about my OPINION about your opinions. Remember what I wrote was my oppinion e.g that you should not write it here but rather keep it to yourselves. I didn't force you to write what I liked it was just my opinion and you should learn to accept them or not.

I still stand by my stand that some of you suck. You say stuff as if you are 'wise' or 'modernised.' Just think for a while and see what effects the west is having on us. Allah ya kiyaye if you guys are like one percent of the northern population then we are doomed.

Someone mentioned something about almajirais walking bare footed and attributing it to our culture. That was stupid. You see how ignorant some of you are. If people don't have enough money to buy shoes they will definitely walk bare footed wherever they are and that is not culture its just poverty.

About laya or amulets, thats NOT our culture because we only started when Islam came. What they usually write inside are words of God and verses from the holy Quran that performs some   use to the user. Except if you are saying that Islam is the northern culture then why is amulets our culture.

Someone said that removing shoes and kneeling down to greet your elders is wierd. To be honest with you, you are wierd. Tell me how the people of the prophet Mohammad and the other prophets greeted them. Did they removed their shoe? did they knelt down? So that is part of the good manners that some of you lack and their is nothing wrong with that. Had it been that you didn't see the westerners greeting their elders without respect you would not have "opened" your stinking "mouths".

NOW BACK TO SOMETHING ELSE

Definitely somethings that are happeneing in the north are not good but that doesn't make them our culture as long as our ansenstors didn't do them. Is Selling pure water culture and wierd? or is opening a shop culture? those are things we see in the north but does this make them our culture?

Once again you guys need to look at yourselves from toe to hair and see what is wrong and how can it be corrected so you can think right.

ALL THESE ARE MY OPINIONS

An advice to you guys that live outside the North at least don't let other peoples way of life influence you life in a negative way.

PEACE!  

moha

till ballin till da day i die..............

Venom

QuoteI dont know if anyone has noticed,but walking barefoot is one very strange culture of the northerners.

Man this was not a northern culture thing it was poverty that made people to walk without shoes.
IKED BY FEW, HATED BY MANY, RESPECTED BY ALL

gogannaka

QuoteSomeone mentioned something about almajirais walking bare footed and attributing it to our culture. That was stupid. You see how ignorant some of you are. If people don't have enough money to buy shoes they will definitely walk bare footed wherever they are and that is not culture its just poverty.

Man this was not a northern culture thing it was poverty that made people to walk without shoes.
Yes i agree it could be poverty.but i've seen children playing with nintendo gameboys and still walking barefoot........also we r not the poorest people abi? ? ? ?

kilishi

QuoteI dont know if anyone has noticed,but walking barefoot is one very strange culture of the northerners.
It used to be worse some years ago (early 90's) when you'll see dozens of children walking about with no shoes(do i make sense at all)..Thank God it's now rare thanx to the massive investments made in the rubber shoe industry.

;D ;D
Haba goga this has nothing to do with culture,is poverty,yes alot of people cant afford to buy shoes for their children,sometimes you will find that they have only one rubber slippers and they wear it if only they are going somewhere,or during sallah,had it being that is our culture you wouldn't find children wearing shoes during festive periods,
ilishi