News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

sex education in the north

Started by Sanusi_Ali, July 15, 2003, 02:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfynest

QuoteMy view on this matter is plane and simple just tell the kids not 2 have sex before marriage as it is forbidden in our religion. This would there by reduce all the unwanted kids and i am sure it would reduce the level of AIDS. All this talk about sex ed and what not is a whitemans (non muslim) thing. ?
In other words what you are saying is we should educate them... about sex and its implications.
That sounds like ''sex education''.
Yes, telling them it is forbidden is a start but are you really of the opinion that those who go ahead and have sex actually do so because they think it is allowed by the religion? Sometimes we forget how impressionable kids can be. They see people who drink and smoke and seem to get away with it despite the fact that it is forbidden. As a result they may decide to follow the same path and experiment. Is it illogical to conclude they might experiment with sex too? So why should you hesitate to tell them that the price to be paid is not only in the hereafter but also right here on earth.

Besides, sex education is not just for the kids, even the adults need it. I heard about a man who had three wives and he married a fourth. She was a widow, her first husband had died of AIDS (I presume no one knew at the time). Long story short, she was infected, passed it on to the 2nd husband, husband passed it on to the other three wives. As we speak, 4th wife, 3rd wife, 2nd wife, 1st wife, all dead. Husband about to follow. This case is not unique, there are countless others.
Would you rather wait till the teeming number of orphans overwhelms you, or would you speak up and let the people, both young and old, know what is out there?

The time to act is now.

Guduma

Ofcourse you are missing my point dfynest. All i am saying is that things that are natural, sex interalia, are some of the bounties from  the Almighty. It comes to all of us in a natural way, that is growth to adulthood which have obvious signs. These sigms differ between male and females, that for instance in males you have hoarse or broken voice, pubic hair, increase in the size of manhood, and ofcourse the feeling of malehood to women. To me it is better to enlighten men and women when they are just about to get married. This responsibility solely rests on the parents, period. But when you start telling kids about sex etc, believe you me, they will hardly understand, or better still, understand it wrongly.

I discussed this topic with a friend who told me about a village guy that got married and was going to his wife through the wrong way for two years, unknown to him and the poor little girl just because they do not know the exact point of entry. Do you blame them? I put the blame squarely on thier parents who should have admonished them at the right time on what to do, simple. There is no, and probably never a teacher that will be comfortable discussing these issues with kids. In essence, am for sex education only when taught at the right time, that is when a boy or a girl reaches the age of maturity. As for AIDS and other vices, I will only say parents should keep closer monitoring of their wards in the way the Islamic religion demands of them. Remember that children and white paper take any impression!

dfynest

Basically, we are all trying to say the samething, education is important. The case you cited about the villager is a non starter (me a ke yi da bakauye?). Ai jahilci yana village dama, so it is no suprise to me, cuz even religious knowledge is hard to come by in the village.
QuoteTo me it is better to enlighten men and women when they are just about to get married.
:o :o :o :o :o
Haba!!! At what age would that be? 20, 22, 25? Changing tides have made the age of marriage higher than what it was before. Besides, even if you get them kids to marry at the age of fourteen, chances are they would have known something about it by then and probably even gone to the extent of experimenting. So, to wait till they are about to marry might be too late. I think I have said enough on this chapter.
May Allah guide us all.