News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Allah Yana nan!

Started by alhaji_aminu, May 15, 2005, 05:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alhaji_aminu

Assalamu Alaikum.

I'll go right to the point. Is it morally justifiable for a state governor, or to be more specific- for Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau of Kano, to donate, from the public treasury, 10 million naira for the extremely expensive Obasanjo Library?

I think it is an outrage. The governor is a very close family friend and I'll do my best to point out to him that this is indeed a betrayal of trust. I would love to hear how he can, as an apostle of sharia, justify sinking 10 million towards celebrating and remembering a man people in his state so despise when 10 million is enough to hire ten competent  teachers for five years.

Until these politicians realise the point where personal funds end and where public funds begin, we shall not experience any meaningful development. The government should, forthwith, desist from sponsoring people for hajj and making stupid donations to people or organizations that don't need it.

I am so ashamed at the governor's callousness and indiscretion!

gogannaka

Myadudu,i am highly surprised at your utterances about the 10million naira donation to the obasanjo library/museum by the kano state governor Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau.Honestly my heart bled when i read the post because i interpreted it as though you are reporting the Governor
before God,as in 'allah ya isa' or 'Allah zai saka wa mutanen kano'.
To me the donation made by the governor is justifiable and the governor shouldn't ever regret giving out the donation but rather rejoice for contributing to the educational development of the country.
The Obasanjo library/museum for presidential history even though located at Abeokuta (the home town of Obasanjo) is a national musuem for preserving presidential history and it's idea dates back to Obasanjo's first tenure as head of state.This complex when completed will also serve as a research center where researchers from all over the world (including Kano state) will refer to.Therefore i see no fault whatsoever if Kano state donates to this project.

I would like Myadudu to remember that the same Kano State under the same Mallam Shekarau donated a staggering 200 million naira to the national mosque.Personally,i believe that the 10million donation to the library/museum is far more jutifiable than the 200 million given to the national mosque.

I think it i because of such accusations/utterances that the Shekarau regime on assumption of office made it a policy not to publicly announce its donations.

I'd advise you please not to be like the 'typical Kano man' who always finds fault in his leader(s).As you said,the governor is a family friend of yours.I wonder how he'd feel idan ya ji ka yi mishi 'Allah ya isa'

The 10 million donation to the complex is very jutifiable and the people of kano and also Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau should be proud to have donated to the human and educational development of Nigeria.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

_Waziri_

QuoteI would like Myadudu to remember that the same Kano State under the same Mallam Shekarau donated a staggering 200 million naira to the national mosque.Personally,i believe that the 10million donation to the library/museum is far more jutifiable than the 200 million given to the national mosque.

I think gogannaka made a very good submission here. On the other side of the argument I will regrettable note that Amin seems to believe that for his open dislike of the man, OBJ,  excludes anything good from associating with him. This is to some degree not so correct a position to take especially if we consider the reality that the problem of Nigeria does not begin with OBJ and the fact that still there are things that are good about our dear OBJ. At least to have managed  keeping the country one for the last 6 or more years is a big plus.... even though I am not enthusiastic about Nigeria.

alhaji_aminu

salam

Gogganaka ( Hilal ko???). I am being practical in criticizing mallam shekarau for contributing 10mil for the OBJ library. You and I know what they will do with the library. It is not, even though the place is yet to be built, a place where people will learn about the politics or the misgovernance of Nigeria during 'president' Obasanjo's tenure.

About the educational value of the library, would'nt you agree with me that MM library a kano would be in a better position to use those funds more judiciously and possibly in a way that impacts the lives of many more. For example, upgrading the computer system there from dial up to VSAT and increasing the workstations can be done with that sum and the beneficiaries will be you and I- I.e Kano citizens.

Hilal said, Personally,i believe that the 10million donation to the library/museum is far more jutifiable than the 200 million given to the national mosque.. And guess what, I do agree with you to a certain extent. In fact, it is a travesty that the governor or a government will, despite the fact that many mothers die (maternal mortality is highest in Kano for all Nigeria)  while giving birth or many children study under dilapidated classrooms or maany millions don't have potable drinking water, dole out 200 million to renovate ,not construct, the national mosque.
Imagine how many bore holes they could sink with 200 mil or how many classes they can build.

I agree with you I came a bit hard on Mallam on the heading of my post. I shouldn't have. mallam Shekarau should have stuck with his policy of not publicizing and indeed not making any donations to people or individuals that do not deserve it. Neither the mosque nor the Library deserve the money.

I am suprised none of you ( G and waziri) responded to my take on sponsoring people on hajj. It is obviously and manifestly insensitive to the plight of people to whom government could a lot for. My understanding of hajj is, it is obligatory on people if they can afford it. ( li manistadha'a alaihi sabila). Lets remember that a Hajj is not complete if someone leaves his family in debt or under dire situations. If the purpose of the Hajj sponsorship exercise is to help those who could not pay for themselves, how could they take care of their family while away for what now takes up to 40 days.

And Allah knows best.

Nuruddeen

Quote from: "myadudu"Assalamu Alaikum.

I'll go right to the point. Is it morally justifiable for a state governor, or to be more specific- for Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau of Kano, to donate, from the public treasury, 10 million naira for the extremely expensive Obasanjo Library?

I think it is an outrage. The governor is a very close family friend and I'll do my best to point out to him that this is indeed a betrayal of trust. I would love to hear how he can, as an apostle of sharia, justify sinking 10 million towards celebrating and remembering a man people in his state so despise when 10 million is enough to hire ten competent  teachers for five years.

Until these politicians realise the point where personal funds end and where public funds begin, we shall not experience any meaningful development. The government should, forthwith, desist from sponsoring people for hajj and making stupid donations to people or organizations that don't need it.

This is true mr. yadudu. A gravious mistake indeed!!!! Allah yasa mu da ce.
o try and fail is atleast to learn. That will save one the inestimable loss of what might have been (positive or negative).

lionger

i'm afraid myadudu makes a very loud and correct point :!:

Maqari

Amin is dead on point!. if OBJ really gives a damn about the educational development of Nigeria where history of the nation?s presidency is concerned. he should make the documents (including those records that certain ex heads of states will not be so eager to exhibit) available at the existing libraries.
What is a? museum for presidential history? anyways? What presidential history? Why not a museum of pre-colonial Nigerian art? Oh  yeah that is not quite possible now is it? since the past leadership of the country sold 75 percent of it to the Metropolitan and Louvre. And what remains of it are either in private collections or in that excuse of a national museum in Lagos. Point is; if OBJ and Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau insist on museum adventures, why not put those funds into Nigerian modern art? Something that can actually create jobs, help the artisans and creative minds of the nation actually eat and perhaps generate revenues in tourism.

I also see no fault in your heading Amin. This reminds me of a particular historical event involving Umr Ibn al?Aas duaring his term as the Islamic caliph, a messenger once came and told him that his son Abd ar rahman who was then a governor of the province of what is now Qatar has just made a purchase of a ring worth 1000 dirham. The Caliph sent him a letter ordering him to immediately sell the ring in question, and feed with the money 100 hungry person for 10 days, at the end of which he told him to order the carving of a stamp (with money from his salary) bearing the words: ?Allahumma rahima-mra?an alima qadra nafsihi? = ?May Allah show mercy on a person worthy of his soul?. and then send an invoice of the total coast back to him ( the caliph) marked with the stamp.

_Waziri_

Lionger, Nuruddeen, Maqari and Amin,

I quite agree with you that Kano state can do something better with that money but yet what it has done with it now I believe is not so bad a thing that calls for total condemnation.

Remember, the library is most likely to outlive OBJ as such we cannot just conclude that, It is not....a place where people will learn about the politics or the misgovernance of Nigeria during 'president' Obasanjo's tenure.

We shouldn't exclude the possibility that someday, some president will put what we believe the right collection of materials to read there. I think the investment is a productive one even if it is not the best. This needless to say that the investment in HAJJ operations is neither needed nor desired.

SAAHIB 92

Quote from: "Nuruddeen"
Quote from: "myadudu"Assalamu Alaikum.

This is true mr. yadudu. A gravious mistake indeed!!!! Allah yasa mu da ce.

Assalam all,

What shekarau did was very wrong! amma we reserved the right to say NO to this kind of huge donation in the name of library.....which in the real sense there is a motive behind the so call building a library in OTTA.  my astonishment here is why not in abuja? where people comes from a diffrent a sources.if it really means to benefit all including my dear people of kano as claimed by (gogannaka).

Guy's pls let's face reality,supposing shekarau will come and spend half of what he dolled out to uncle sege's gathering of curruption to our native murtala mohd library, will this not make sense? so that he may change its level from third world learning centre, to more decent library as in  the case of our neighbouring countries. mal shekarau is good and humane in person,just to be fair,but his minded corrupt advisers whom he dance to their tunes za su kai shi su baro. don haka ba daidai bane abin da yayi.mutanen kano suna bukatar kudinsu.
Radina billahi Rabban,
Wa bil Islami Dinan,
Wa bi Muhammadin Nabiyya!"

ABBAS A YAKASAI

usman11

A Presidential Library is not a bad thing at all.  What I do not fancy is the follow follow habit of Nigerian leaders. Just because it is a tradtion in American, as in Reagan and Clinton Libraries, Obj also followed suit.  He should have his own original ideas for a change.

Having said that, myadudu your position is extremely sectional in nature. You are doing the tribe card here over this issue and refusing to see any good thing about Obj or his administration.  I am not sure if the Governor should have donated money from public treasury or not, but 10 million Naira is not an extravagant donation for a state.  As some people already pointed out, we at least would see the fruits of the donation, and can say Kano state was instrumental in making the building possible.  The library would contain several important resource materials, journals, personal items, photos, etc and open to public as a possibly a tourist center in the future.

You made a statement about not believing Gov. Shekarau could make such a donation being an apostle of Sharia. Does sharia now prevent people from making donations? Haba!  The reality is that no matter how things may be, nations are still going to find a way to build monuments.  The national Mosque that was built may have drawn criticism and support alike, but it is there now. At some point, it may be a very significant building and something that adds value to the nations tourism if such a time comes.  The same goes for this library if designed right.

On the issue of hajj or any other pilgrimage, I do not think the federal government should be involved in funding such ventures. Individuals wanting to participate in such exercises should be allowed and assisted diplomatically if need be but the Government should not finance these events.  Tax payer money should be used for other public need excluding religious demands.  So yes, people should go to hajj, or Isreal, and the government should ensure their safety and well being in those foreign lands with the assistance of the Nigerian embassy in those places.  That is really all the involvement govt should have, but the pilgrims should be responsible for their fare and all other expenses.

gogannaka

From what i've heard and read about the Obj library,i see no reason whatsoever why the project is condemned.
Obasanjo has some 11 years as the nations head of state and president(even though myadudu will say the electon is still challenged in court).So i believe Obj has a lot to tell and show regarding his tenure(s) and instead of him archiving the history at his chicken farm in Otta,he decided to make public such interesting history.
Some of you might find it difficult to see anything good in the man Obasanjo but you'll have to admit that even though he has done some bad things, he still has some good legacies popular among which is his collection of the article of surrender from biafra.
So i see no reason why a 10 million Naira donation(which is within the contingency budget of kano) by Shekarau should be utterly condemned.
I'd like myadudu to visit the murtala muhammed library complex.There's a block dedicated to Gov.Obong Victor Attah due to his donation to the library.You cannot say that Attah's state is satisfied educationally that is why he had to extend his generosity to kano state.I am sure many of us have stories to tell about how we once gave out donations or charity while we were in need.One can never be satisfied.If at least Shekarau provides sufficient funds for his developmental projects then he shouldn't be criticised for giving out donations.
I would also like to point out that it was not only Kano state that gave out the donation.Almost all the 36 states gave 10 million naira each.Ogun state alone pledged 150million.

On the issue of hajj sponsorship,personally,i dont buy the idea but we have to remember that the government is a political govt. where all the politicians and non politicians that helped in setting up the govt expect certain rewards for their servitude.Compensating people with hajj tickets has long become an acceptable norm in politics.
You and i might well know that hajj is only compulsary to one who is able but the  local village politician who wants to feel involved in govt might not know that.Some prefer to be called 'Alhaji' than to store a whole years food.
If i had my ways,i'd not only stop the sponsorship of hajj,i'd stop people from doing hajj more than five times in a lifetime.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment