News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Kano City etc

Started by Dave_McEwan_Hill, July 29, 2005, 12:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_McEwan_Hill

Hi all

I am writing up some stuff about my time in Kano but I have forgotten the names of many of the roads and areas of Kano City, Sabon Gari, Brigade etc.

Can anyone e-mail me a map?

e-mail  markewen2001@onetel.com
          or
          markewan2001@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks

David McEwan Hill
maigemu

bakangizo

E-mailing you a map of the afore-mentioned areas would be a bit difficult. One can however give you the names of the major roads/streets in Brigade and Sabon Gari.

Dave_McEwan_Hill

Thanks. I would welcome a list of namers. I was 15 years in Kano a and thst would jog my memory. I would recognise most of the names amd remember where they were.

David McEwan Hill
maigemu

bakangizo

Here you are:

Major streets/roads in Sabon Gari:
Sarkin Yaki, Ibo/Hausa Road, Court Road, Aitken Road, France Road, Enugu Road, Ballat Hughes, Abeokuta Road, Zungeru Road, Emir Road, Middle road, Church Road, New Road, Festing Road, Egbe Road, Ibadan Street, Galadima Road, etc.

Major Areas in Brigade:
Airport Road, Gwagwarwa, Ahmadiyya Line, Kwanar Jaba, Gawuna, Tudun Wada, PRP, Tudun Murtala, Gama 'C', Gama 'D',  etc. Then, not really in Brigade but just opposite, Nomans Land.

Hope this would help.

Dave_McEwan_Hill

Nagode.
Very helpfull.
I can remeber some of the main roads in Kano metropolitan like State Road, Racecourse Road, City Road, Ahmadu Bello Way, Magajin Rumfa.
Can anybody remind me of the others?
maigemu

bakangizo

When did you leave Kano? And which area have you stayed when you were in Kano?

Other main roads in Kano:

Ibrahim Taiwo road, Murtala Mohammed Way, Lagos Street (now Sani Abacha Way), Zaria road, Zoo road, Aminu Kano Way, Audu Bako Way. Suleiman Crescent, Lamido Crescent, Kwairanga road, Sokoto road Hadejia road.

Dave_McEwan_Hill

Hi
I left Kano in 1987 (from 1972).
I lived with my wife and children for some years at the WTC compound (I was Vice Principal at WTC for some time) and then when I became an Inspector at the Educational Resource Centre near Gwale I lived just off State Road. After that I lived in a new house at Dakata before I finished my contract with the Ministry of Education. After that we lived in a flat at the Kanotex factory compound whilke I was in business for a couple of years before we came back to Scotland.
maigemu

bakangizo

Wao! Ashe kai dan Kano ne :lol:  You must really have served the state. And it is nice to see you still interested in the affairs of the state. The Educational Resource Centre is now ( Ithink) located at Gandun Albasa, close to Zoo Road. So you haven't been to Kano for a visit since then?

Dave_McEwan_Hill

You are quite right. KERC was at Gandun Albasa when I worked there. I would love to return to Kano but as I'm now retired and broke the expense is beyond me. My granddaughter Layla was born in Kano. She has contributed to this forum occasionally. ( My son's wife - now sadly separated from him but still here in Scotland where she is training to work with children - was from Bornu).

I would love to hear from some of my ex-pupils or colleagues but so far have heard from none.
maigemu

bakangizo

Quote from: "Dave_McEwan_Hill"... My granddaughter Layla was born in Kano. She has contributed to this forum occasionally. ( My son's wife - now sadly separated from him but still here in Scotland where she is training to work with children - was from Bornu).

I would love to hear from some of my ex-pupils or colleagues but so far have heard from none.
Layla's an Arabic name, isn't it? That's the name of my sister-in-law. It is widely used here. What's her forum name?

As regard your ex-pupils/colleagues, you know most people aren't aware of the existence of this site. I myself just stumbled onto it while surfing the net. Am sure if they come across this they would contact you. If I happen to come across any of your ex-pupils or coll. I would let them know.

Dave_McEwan_Hill

maigemu

mlbash

Quote from: "Dave_McEwan_Hill"You are quite right. KERC was at Gandun Albasa when I worked there. I would love to return to Kano but as I'm now retired and broke the expense is beyond me. My granddaughter Layla was born in Kano. She has contributed to this forum occasionally. ( My son's wife - now sadly separated from him but still here in Scotland where she is training to work with children - was from Bornu).

I'M  HIGHLY SUPRISED WHEN I SAW GANDUN ALBASA ABOVE, IF YOU COME NOW, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO RECOGNISE THE PLACE, I BET YOU THAT! TI'S NOW HIGHLY DEVELOPED!

WELL...................BY THE WAY THAT'S MY  AREA! CAN YOU TELL ME MORE ABOUT GANDUN ALBASA? :o
t is my intention to make the neglected aspect of our societies viable

Dave_McEwan_Hill

Mlbash
Nice to hear from you. I am striving to remember but there wasn't much about Gandun Albasa when I worked as an Education Inspector at KERC which was around there. I remember the Industrial estate to the west of it, the village to the south and Kano Zoo was somewhere around there also. One of my junior staffs -  Nusiratu Lamidi - lived at the village.
I used to inspect Primary schools, many of them new, all about Kano State from KERC as well as organise the programmes for Art Education for the post primary institutions in the state.
My days at WTC and KERC were the most satisfying times of my life.

David McEwan Hill
maigemu

mlbash

OH! MR. DAVE, HOW I WISH YOU COULD REMEMBER MUCH MORE THAN THAT! BUT ALL THE SAME, I DON'T KNOW IF YOU ARE AWARE OF THE CHANGE OF NAME, OVER 12 YEARS BACK! IT'S NOW CALLED KERD INSTEAD OF KERC. AND THE AREA TO THE WEST(INDUSTRIAL) IS SHARADA. THE VILLAGE BY THE ZOO, OF COURSE TWO, ARE GANDUN ALBASA AND TUKUNTAWA! YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO RECOGNISE ANY OF IT NOW, MR DAVE! THE PLACES REALLY DEVELOPED AT AN ALARMING RATE. WELL WE'LL DISCUSS MORE OF IT NEXT TIME. THANKS ALOT.
t is my intention to make the neglected aspect of our societies viable

Dave_McEwan_Hill

I remember Sharada. There was one factory there with a very nice football park and I used to play football there every Wednesday with some Germans.

Is there nowadays horse racing at the Racecourse in Kano? I used to be chairman of the Kano Turf Club (horse racing) and I was appointed chairman of the Northern States Turf Club Authority by the Emir of Zaria. We used to race at  turf clubs at Kano, Katsina, Kaduna, Zaria and Jos and many horses came from Niger and Chad to race. Does this still happen?

Dave McEwan Hill
maigemu