News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

2003 Presidential Elections

Started by Anonymous, January 08, 2003, 12:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borg

Ummita, take it or leave it the way we are governed and the rules we are subjected to are parts of the religion, they cannot be separated ( a way of life, remember???) thats just the way the religion is!!

ummita

Agree 2 disagree, d way we r governed & all its subjection, which cannot b seperated...as u've stated is by no means d way Nija is governed. Tell me as how????

If u say.........Our regilion governs or shud govern Nija.........say Kano 4 instance where by it is ONLY a muslim dominated state.........& not where we have about 2-3 practised religons...then I myt reconsider. If @ all r livin in a state r ONLY muslims then  of course, y not have a muslim leader........ U know 4 a fact that obviously all religions or any religion wud not oblige 2 see that a leader who gets that presidential position is of d same practisin groups as they themselves r...........Anywayz y bother........whu eva gets 2 b president.........is d PRESIDENT......

Nefink can change that!!!! So let election continue......those in support of a candidate fyn....those that r not in support...fyn!!! It still works out 2.........some1 will b d president. So as I said  CALM DOWN PPL :D
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!

Borg

Hehehehehe...   Ummita if you read my 1st posting on this topic you will see that i said maganar zaben muslim or non-muslim in this case bata taso ba, because democracy is not approved of in islam. Which implies choose a muslim or non-muslim you are on your own.

Secondly separating state from religion is a different thing. In Islam state and religion are one.... if you are disapproving of this then its another issue. I think we are all calm here...  ;)

lionger

The idea of politics and religion being one in islam is a thought that occured to me a long time ago. Perhaps that explains why a good deal of all religious conflicts in the world involve islam.

Anyone having a hard time rationalizing ummita's position on religion and politics should ?go and ?find out what is happening in Sudan today and how it all started. Go to yahoo.com, type in 'the Lost Boys of Sudan' and read articles about them. their story is enough to make you cry. Then ask yourselves if this is what you want Nigeria to be 20 yrs from now.

(p.s. there's a movie coming out march 7 called 'tears in the sun' starring bruce willis; it's based in nigeria and is quite demeaning to the country's image. however, it seems this story is somewhat based on the story of the lost boys of sudan, except that instead of using sudan, the story is applied to Nigeria!)

If you love Nigeria, you'd vote for either Gani Fawehinmi or Ojukwu(well i guess his biafra legacy hurts his chances here, unfortunately).

Muhammad

I have to agree with Lionger on one hand and Abu Mujahid on the other.
Islam is a religion that recognizes NO separation between Mosque and state. That is a fact. One can challenge it but that changes nothing.
  I have to agree also with Lionger's view of voting out of one's religious constituency. A bad muslim ruler is not better than a just christian leader and vice versa. For those who disagree, it is good to review our Islamic history and see where the first Muslim migrants were sent to?
      Thirdly, I am of the opinion that Abacha should not be included in the list of those who have contributed to the advancement of the northerner.  Perhaps in the category of those who governed Nigeria- rightly or wrongly ?

Lastly, to compare Nigeria's situation to Sudan is an utter disregard for impartial analysis. The problem in Sudan depends on who tells the story and ascertaining what the actual causes for countenance of the war is everyones guess. No matter what happens- regrading Shariah agitation or the incorporation of religion into politics, Nigeria will never degenerate into the kind of melee that's going on over there. At least I hope the military is there to strike at the right moment. GOD forbid.    

al_hamza

i read very little of what has been posted,
so pls dont think am on anyones side,
but lemme tell u some history,
the last khalifa of spain said.....
I'll prefer the rule of a donkey than a pig's.
note-
donkey was declared Halal in one of the wars during Prophet Mohd (PBHU) but pig was never
ABILUNAH? SABILUNAH? AL-JIHAD! AL-JIHAD!

Blaqueen

ok...incase some of u havent noticed... u can practice Shariah in ur own homes... we've been doing that for a looooong time now....
American Muslims, German Muslims, British Muslims, Venezuelan Muslims, Trini Muslims, Jamaican Muslims, Kenyan Muslims, South African Muslims, Burkinabe Muslims, Korean Muslims, Albanian Muslims... etc etc.... are all living and practicing their religion.... so..... with or without Shariah as a gov't in Nigeria.... we CAN survive... its juss a way of life! WE ARE LIVING IT!!!!
da Hunniez Gettin Money Playin Niggaz Like Dummy

Blaqueen

QuoteIntersting indeed...
Democracy in the first place is a system of the unbelievers! It has no connection whatsoever with Islam. It completely contradicts the rules of Islam whether in the comprehensive or partial issues,

It is a system whose source is human beings and it has no connection to devine revelation or religion.

"And their business is (conducted) through consultation among themselves."(Qur'an 42:38)

Islamic system of gov't.....based on consultation, freedom of expression, equality and serving the interests of the community.
having a xtian leader will do nothing to hurt the Muslims... as long as we have someone representing us... and we also carry out our duties according to Islam... no need to vex!

and Lionger... God Forbid! i will never vote for those two... especially ojukookooindacabeza!!!!!!!!!!!....
and i cant see meeh voting for buhari... ::)... maybe i should run sef...

lionger

lol FDQ listen to yourself..on another thread you said Nigeria needs new leaders. yet, now u say you'll never vote for gani or ojukwu. well i guess i understand ur rejection of ojukwu but what do u have against mr. gani fawehinmi?

btw its 'ojukwu' surely it isn't that hard to spell? ;D?  i know u n many others on this forum don't even want to hear his name, cuz of the civil war. well that was a war of self-defense, of Ojukwu's ppl - the Igbo. It would never have happened if not for the genocide against the Igbos in the North and Gowon's treachery in renaging form the Aburi accord. the one thing i'd say against ojukwu is that he is a very proud man. anyways, this thread is not for defending him..if u hate corruption in nigeria, and want new leadership unconnected with our sorry past. vote for gani.

lionger

amin

Lastly, to compare Nigeria's situation to Sudan is an utter disregard for impartial analysis. The problem in Sudan depends on who tells the story and ascertaining what the actual causes for countenance of the war is everyones guess. No matter what happens- regrading Shariah agitation or the incorporation of religion into politics, Nigeria will never degenerate into the kind of melee that's going on over there. At least I hope the military is there to strike at the right moment. GOD forbid. ? ?

i think the problem in sudan is quite clear: the arab muslim north tried to impose sharia on the largely christain african south, leading to civil war that has been going on for over 20 years. its a sad story of death, starvation, refugee crisis and slavery(??). Unfortunately the int'l community has largely ignored the conflict going on there. nigeria may never degenerate into a Sudan largely because regional armies no longer exist (like they did in pre-civil war Nigeria). however, enough lives have been wasted already. must we wait until war knocks at our door b4 we decide to fix the situation (albeit way too late by then)?

Guys, unfortunately or not, the words 'sharia' and 'one nigeria' do not make sense together and therefore should not be in the same sentence. Look at Nigeria today -  is it any more united today than it was under Abacha? No! And the reason is because the sharia of today was not introduced in Northern Nigeria by the political elite as tool for reform, order and development. It was brought up as a tool for deceiving and usurping power from the largely impoverished and uneducated masses, as well as destabilizing the 'southern-dominated' government of nigeria.

For those of you who disagree (and for those who use the statement 'sharia's always been there' as its validation) think about this: Sharia was introduced to the constitution in 1978 under the supervision of Obasanjo, who in 1979 handed over to the president-elect Shagari. In all of shagari's four years as president, nobody clamored for sharia. in fact the topic did not even come up for discussion, despite the fact that Shagari was one of the muslims that walked out of the 1978 Constituent Assembly during the sharia debate.  After he became president the matter was buried. Compare that to today's situation. Why?

Blaqueen

btw its 'ojukwu' surely it isn't that hard to spell?

OJUKOOKOOINDACABEZA!!!!!!!!!!!... and so i stress..... and..by new leaders.. i mean, "cant wait till all the old people generation commot and hand over to fresh minds"...

and xtian southerners and others... berra recognise and understand Shariah... i dunno whut they fear... its not like we'll chop off their heads or bulala them for no praticular reason...
and all that conspiracy theory most of u have cloggin' ur brains... ah pues.. ya'll should remain paranoid and ignorant... ya'll keep runnin' ur moufs... we'll keep running our bizness...khalas! ;D

Anonymous

QuoteUmmita, take it or leave it the way we are governed and the rules we are subjected to are parts of the religion, they cannot be separated ( a way of life, remember???) thats just the way the religion is!!

There are far off better things and better ways we can relate iIslam to and not just politics. We can all say who we prefer to be the president but it oesnt come down to a few ppls response...infact have you sticked your votes in the ballot boxes that you all are hailing about who should be the president?

I find it an irrelevant topic to associate religion with political crisis.

lionger

OJUKOOKOOINDACABEZA!!!!!!!!!!!... and so i stress..... and..by new leaders.. i mean, "cant wait till all the old people generation commot and hand over to fresh minds"...

hehe FDQ u see yourself? obviously (and i guess understandably) u have no respect for Ojukwu. He is still viewed as a hero by many in Nigeria, for standing up to the gross injustice metted against them by the Hausa-fulani ?at the time. I'm sure many of you won't be happy if i proceeded to insult the late Sir Ahmadu Bello. to you he is a hero, ?however some 'southerners' hold him and awolowo jointly responsible for the ethnicised nature of Nigerian politics today. others also believe he used Akintola (a christian-turned alhaji) to start "wahala" in the western region which was then spreading like a desert fire that will invariable engulf the whole nation. if true, i guess it partly explains why both akintola and the sardauna were killed in the 1st coup.

and xtian southerners and others... berra recognise and understand Shariah... i dunno whut they fear... its not like we'll chop off their heads or bulala them for no praticular reason...
and all that conspiracy theory most of u have cloggin' ur brains... ah pues.. ya'll should remain paranoid and ignorant... ya'll keep runnin' ur moufs... we'll keep running our bizness...khalas! ;D

That is not a very useful statement. Dr. Adegbite expressed the same sentiments when, after the Miss World riots, he said, "Now everyone knows that Islam is a religion to be taken seriously". Saying southerners and christians should 'berra recognise Sharia' does not really show respect for the christians and southerners, who definitely have a right to be upset about sharia. They been 'bulala-ed' and killed, their churches burned and their property looted in over 20 years of ethnic/religious spats in the North. Sorry FDQ, but Northern muslims do not have a very good tolerance record, and ?they are clearly not serious about restricting sharia to Muslims, thus Christians are not prepared to listen to any arguments for sharia.

I see you deliberately skirted my question on sharia's 'disappearance' under its champion shagari but not under obasanjo. dismissing it as a 'conspiracy theory' holds no water and only shows that you do not want to admit the obvious. the awkwardness of sharia is such that it cannot be enforced by the Nigerian police, hence the advent of local vigilante groups. What kind of society is that? FDQ, Sharia may not harm christians, as you say, but it will not help them either. Sharia will not and is not meant to help anyone in Nigeria except those who installed it. The northern masses do not need sharia, they need improved social amenities and infrastructures, health care, education, and freedom from poverty; and they need it more than anyone else in Nigeria!

Blaqueen

*yawn*............. nexxxxt! this is gettin' old...!

lionger