News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Child Rights Act: I Can Not Believe This

Started by mallamt, November 08, 2006, 08:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mallamt

This is from a newspaper in nigeria (ThisDay 08/09/06) and just see what a member of house of assembly in a northern state is saying, this is total disgrace!!!

Indications emerged yesterday why northern states in Nigeria have refused to sign the Child Rights Act into law since its passage in 2003 by the National Assembly.
Only 10 states out of the 36 states of the federation and Abuja have passed the Act into law.
Speaking in Abuja yesterday, the Borno State House of Assembly speaker, Hon. Goni Modu said some sections of the Act are not in tandem with the Northern culture.
Modu was speaking at a one day advocacy workshop for state legislators, religious and traditional leaders on Child Rights? Act organised by the Ministry of Women Affairs in Abuja .
In the words of the Speaker, ?The main reason we in the north have not passed the Act up till now, is religious factor. The other reasons are culture and poverty. We have to expunge some sections of the Act before we can pass it.?
He posited that in the northern culture, the children are expected to economically contribute to their parents when they reach a certain age.

?Some parents make their children to hawk and sell because they are too old to work. There is too much poverty in the country, especially in the northern states and so government has to eradicate poverty first before the Act can be passed and be effective.?
He stressed that parents are not encouraged to send their children to school because of their belief that they could help their parents by hawking and running errands.
?So how can you send such children to school when they could be of assistance to their parents? Government has to ensure poverty is eradicated to the barest minimum.?
But in allaying some of the fears expressed in some quarters about the Act, Minister of Women Affairs, Mrs. Inna Maryam Ciroma said ?I have been on nationwide advocacy visits to solicit support for the passage of the Act. The visits have enabled me to emphasise challenging issues such as child marriage, female genital mutilation, corporal punishment, almajiri, street children and girl child education. For instance, nothing in the Child Rights? Act prevents a parent from disciplining his or her child or ward. All the Act seeks to achieve is to protect the child against acts of transferred aggression which could result in physical harm to the child such as burning of fingers for minor misdemeanours or beating a child to death in the name of disciplining him or her.?
She asserted that the passage of the Bill in all the states is the only way that all Nigerian children, irrespective of their state of domicile, enjoy the rights recognised in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
A representative of UNICEF, Mr. Robert Limlim noted that the speed with which the Act is passed is a reflection of how Nigerians see the children.
?Out there are children being abused, children that are being trafficked, crying out for help. How far and how long would we allow these children cry out without helping them? The Act is the gateway that will open the door for Nigerian children to enjoy the right to live.?

kitkat

Mallam T thats why people like you should not only join the political fold but encourage reasonable and relatively educated citizens to vie for and fill elective positions.

There are some state asemblies in the north where only 2 or three members are graduates. What can you expect from these kind or representatives?  Even  where there is a reasonable level of education you will find that they are all handpicked political goons and cronies, lacking in decency and basic morality.  
There must be a crusade to sanitize and recapture the political initiative from the present crop of crooks in positions of authority and responsibility, otherwise all you can do is post their scandals and blunders and after much hand wringing and gnashing of teeth another headline will assail your senses the very next day.

Allah ya sawake.

_Waziri_

This is quite unfortunate if the said member truly is quoted rightly by the Newspaper. I thought the man would give firmer reasons than lie about the state of affairs in the North.

lionger

Surprise, surprise  :evil: .

Btw, can someone tell me why only 10 states have passed this Act in the past three years? Of course passing the Act is one thing; enforcing it is a completely different kettle of fish.

Muhsin

To Allah ya kyauta.
But, sincerely, some of the problems; causes and remedies pointed-out by this man are quietly along the line. And, remember, what he knows is what he said. May be that's what's happening in the area he was brought up...isn't it?
Again, if he says his wish, that's all. Allah is wwatching every inch of our steps and saying. But, with every fibre of my being, I hope he's not saying this to 'mess' Northern image.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

HUSNAA

Quote from: "mallamt"This is from a newspaper in nigeria (ThisDay 08/09/06) and just see what a member of house of assembly in a northern state is saying, this is total disgrace!!!

Speaking in Abuja yesterday, the Borno State House of Assembly speaker, Hon. Goni Modu said some sections of the Act are not in tandem with the Northern culture.
He posited that in the northern culture, the children are expected to economically contribute to their parents when they reach a certain age.
He stressed that parents are not encouraged to send their children to school because of their belief that they could help their parents by hawking and running errands.
But in allaying some of the fears expressed in some quarters about the Act, Minister of Women Affairs, Mrs. Inna Maryam Ciroma said ?I have been on nationwide advocacy visits to solicit support for the passage of the Act. The visits have enabled me to emphasise challenging issues such as child marriage, female genital mutilation, corporal punishment, almajiri, street children and girl child education. For instance, nothing in the Child Rights? Act prevents a parent from disciplining his or her child or ward. All the Act seeks to achieve is to protect the child against acts of transferred aggression which could result in physical harm to the child such as burning of fingers for minor misdemeanours or beating a child to death in the name of disciplining him or her.?
She asserted that the passage of the Bill in all the states is the only way that all Nigerian children, irrespective of their state of domicile, enjoy the rights recognised in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
?

I believe Hajiya Inna Ciroma is not behaving any better than (the 'Hon' or disgraceful) Goni Modu. Her little speech sounds too apologetic and tentative to me, as if she's trying not to rock the boat. Whose fears is she trying to allay? Fears of what? Call a spade a spade o jare!!! Children are the most downtrodden members of our society period!!
The ministry should come out with a no nonsense categorical and aggressive stance so that it is taken  seriously and not  so summarily dismissed by illiteratti like goni modu.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Barde

Let us not draw our conclusions based on what ThisDay reported, because the newspaper has a track record of misquoting people, to me the newspaper comprises a bunch of mischief makers. We need to first of all verify his stand before castigating him. From what i heard of the bill, am of the opinion that some parts must be reconsidered before it will be accepted, furthermore, the bill, like other obj's reforms, was blindly imported from the west, not minding whether the foundation on which it will be rooted is firm or not.
im

ummita

This thread has just opened my own little Pandora's box...........Such issue has been my gripe 4 a long, long, long time. To get back at this when time permits.
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!

alhaji_aminu

Salam

Neither poverty nor illiteracy is responsible for the failure of many states from passing the child rights act. The reason is a mixture of politics and religion- politics being the dominating factor.
From my own understanding, there are some articles of the charter that run counter to what is applicable in Islamic law. These fundamental clashes include areas that seek to establish the minimun year of marriage, male and female child inheritence, fostering and adoption, punishment etc.

As it has been said, when there is a will will there will be a way. I certainly think we can harmonize these laws without Muslims loosing their identity and without the act (introduced with sincere intentions) being diluted to a point where it looses its meaning.
A way of achieving this doesn't necessarily include Nigeria ratifying this in Parliament (just like the US opts out of the ICC and World Court) but rather through introducing into our local political space a law with the same far reaching consequences but with more sensitivity towards those who will be affected by it.

All this talk about Muslims being conservative and anti-progress (especially as it relates to social issues) is what it is- NONSENSE. Muslims like all sane and rational peoples wish for their sons and daughters to have a safe and enriching childhood. The fact that politicians use their ineptitude as excuse for their in-action does not excuse anyone from casting aspertions on this hubris of Islam being the culprit.

The problem is with the incompentent state of assemblies and God help us if they do one thing right!

neozizo

Quote from: "alhaji_aminu"The problem is with the incompentent state of assemblies and God help us if they do one thing right!
U couldn?t be more precise. In this case as well as many others more, ineptitude and incapability of our so called legislators has in no small measure compounded our problems
Quote from: "husnaa"I believe Hajiya Inna Ciroma is not behaving any better than (the 'Hon' or disgraceful) Goni Modu. Her little speech sounds too apologetic and tentative to me, as if she's trying not to rock the boat. Whose fears is she trying to allay? Fears of what? Call a spade a spade o jare!!! Children are the most downtrodden members of our society period!!
The ministry should come out with a no nonsense categorical and aggressive stance so that it is taken seriously and not so summarily dismissed by illiteratti like goni modu.
U have to understand Mrs Chiroma?s predicament. Her gender as well as the type of people she?s dealing with will not permit her an aggressive hard line approach to the issue.
Just like the Polio immunization matter there is need to apply tolerance, broadmindedness, persistence and placid coercion.