News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

kano tops charts

Started by alkanawi, January 10, 2007, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alkanawi

"However, Action Congress (AC) governorship aspirant in Lagos, Babatunde Fashola, has said the placing of Kano on top of the list will be challenged.

He argued during a visit to the headquarters of Independent Newspapers Limited in Lagos on Tuesday that the calculation defies common sense.

The population of Lagos had been projected at over 15 million by the state government and international agencies, including the World Bank.

Besides, Kano and Lagos were neck and neck in terms of population before Jigawa was carved out of Kano.

Said Fashola: "I think the jury would remain out for a long time on this figure. They do not accord with logic. By nature, all animals move towards water. We would look at the figures in terms of where the nine million people are, how much refuse is Kano generating; because when people live in an area, they produce refuse. We are generating 10,000 tonnes of refuse per day. I hope they can justify the same figure for Kano.

"Where is the vehicular density in Kano? Where are these nine million people? We have a vehicular density of 222 vehicles per kilometre. The national average, and that must include Kano, is 11 vehicles per kilometre. These figures do not accord with common sense.

"If Kano has nine million people, where are the businesses in the state? Population is a market. Why is everybody migrating to Lagos? Let us take the pro rated statistics of all the ethnic nationalities in Lagos and measure them against the ethnic nationalities in Kano. There are more Ibo men in Lagos, more Yoruba, and there are as many Hausa men in Lagos, Tiv, Idoma and other ethnic nationalities.

"Then, what is the school population? Do these nine million not have children? What is the school density? How many hospitals do they have there? What is the outpatient and inpatient number? These are the parameters with which these figures must be reconciled. Otherwise they are not tenable.

"We will challenge this figure with the data that we have as we go forward. Census is like an account. And, in my profession, when accounts are rendered, there must be opportunities to falsify and surcharge them and challenge them.

"We would subject them to very fair and necessary test, and I think the legislation under which the exercise was done also anticipate that all of these would happen. These figures cannot be absolute without challenge – and all of these would, hopefully, be dealt with as we move along."
culled from www.independentngonline.com 10/01/2007

This is laughable,please who can demolish this chap's argument?
On a serious note, this result has some kind of "abracadabra" to it. The old Kano state comprising Jigawa had about the same population with Lagos at about 5 million using the 1991 census data. With an exponential growth rate of 3.5% for kano(present kano) and 3.2% for Lagos, there is no way Kano state would surpass Lagos. Unless if it is the 1991 census that had problems
Any statistician out there please?
"corgito ergo sum"

HUSNAA

Why are u asking someone to demolish this guy's statements when u are in agreement with them? Doesnt make sense.
"there is no way Kano state would surpass Lagos. Unless if it is the 1991 census that had problems
Any statistician out there please?"
Unquote.

Anyway, I had my doubts about the whole census exercise from its very beginnings. It had the same rocky ride as this voters registration card fiasco is undergoing at the moment. I dont have any confidence in the census results. Lol more men than women in Nigeria.... what bull!
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

alkanawi

u didn't get me right. it is as follows
1) if the basis of Lagos having greater population than Kano is as laid out by the AC candidate, then he has no locus at all. Absolute bunkum
2) the data is inconsistent with itself as far as i can tell
3) if there is any expert out there, he should help shed some light on the apparent data inconsistency.
Q.e.d
"corgito ergo sum"

NewEte

In reference to alkanawi, here's the jerk that keeps complaining of me posting "somebody else's" idea on the forum for discussion. I wonder what give him the impression that the articles belong to someone else. In anycase, the hypocrite turns around, cuts and pastes another writer's report on this forum and then wants people to discuss it. What a retard!!!!!!

alkanawi

My dear NewEte
Quote from: NewEte on January 10, 2007, 07:18:19 PM
... I wonder what give him the impression that the articles belong to someone else.
corrections
i wonder what gives him the impression...................
Quote from: NewEte on January 10, 2007, 07:18:19 PM
In anycase, the hypocrite turns around, cuts and pastes another writer's report on this forum and then wants people to discuss it. What a retard!!!!!!
correction
cut and paste's, it is a phrase." Writers' "
you are gradually improving NewEte, keep it up
And please no plagiarism, always ensure you adequately reference all all your posts
thank you
"corgito ergo sum"

NewEte

You are astonishingly stupid. There is no question about that.

alkanawi

At last two good sentences and without a single mistake!!!!!!!!
It reinforces the maxim, "never loose hope........
good work NewEte, infact excellent.
"corgito ergo sum"

NewEte

alkanawi

well after some more research,i found out that the data is consistent with that of the 1991 result.Kano state( as presently constituted) had 5,810,470 people which is some 85,000 people more than Lagos according to the 1991 figures. My mistake was including Jigawa state in arriving at the 1991 result.
source:www.onlinenigeria.com/population
NB: The computation apppears to be a bit dodgy though
"corgito ergo sum"

HUSNAA

Basing population census demographics on relative density from one region to another is rather meaningless, since the density is a function of the number of ppl living in the area and the size of the area. Therefore on closer inspection, some of the arguments presented by Babalola Fashola are not sound.. e.g the vehicular density in Lagos as opposed to Kano and the rubbish generation... 10,000 tonnes daily!! lol what a dump if it is true!!

Fashola also asks if the nine million living in Kano have kids. His question  implies that  only the adult populations were counted. Therefore Kano should in effect have more than 9 million if people below a certain age have been neglected in the enumerations. School density, number of hospitals, inpatient and outpatient figures are parameters which indicate the effective allocation of such services in an area. It doesnt mean that if you have a high inpatient outpatient statistic, that there are more ppl in that area. It just means that there is a serious lack of efficacy in the way the government allocates infrastructures and services, or there is an epidemic outbreak (not surprising with 10,000 tonnes of refuse a day). Same goes for schools. Whilst a high cluster of schools in a specific area is good news, a very high number of pupils per sch is  indicative of poor management and allocation of facilities on the part of the govt.

Still, I think that Kano state may well have nine million or close to that figure, but at the same time, Lagos must definitely have a higher population figure. It was a capital city and it is still a port city and like Fashola says, has a high multi ethnic population. Kano also has a high multi ethnic populatioin of  ppl mainly from other parts of northern Nigeria as well as a sizeable number of  Yoruba and Igbo speaking non indigenes.

It is more appropriate to allocate the residual 85,000 people to Lagos state rather than Kano, since the whole census exercise must have been a computer generated statistical projection of the 1991 census, and not a very real ground truth fact finding mission.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

admin

NewEte

We (KanoOnline Forum) do not condone you or any other member calling another with such words (jerk & stupid) as you used to refer to alkanawi. Therefore I am going to remove those posts as indicated in our Forum rules.
Kaini Kano ko a buhun barkono!!!

_Waziri_

Quote from: HUSNAA on January 11, 2007, 05:47:46 AM
Still, I think that Kano state may well have nine million or close to that figure, but at the same time, Lagos must definitely have a higher population figure. It was a capital city and it is still a port city and like Fashola says, has a high multi ethnic population. Kano also has a high multi ethnic populatioin of  ppl mainly from other parts of northern Nigeria as well as a sizeable number of  Yoruba and Igbo speaking non indigenes.

It is more appropriate to allocate the residual 85,000 people to Lagos state rather than Kano, since the whole census exercise must have been a computer generated statistical projection of the 1991 census, and not a very real ground truth fact finding mission.

I just dunno, but why do you think that the residual 85,000 people should just be added to Lagos just like that even when the facts do not point to that direction?  Though Lagos was a Capital City we  mustn't forget the truth that it only WAS. And taking the Capital City from Lagos must necessarily have taken large chunk of its population from there to Abuja or elsewhere, considering the fact that it being the Capital City was in the first place responsible for its dense population from the very onset. Again, remember how the headquarters of many oil companies and related businesses moved from Lagos to the Niger-Delta region during some good interval of Nigeria's history.

Finally, I think the census in all did not catch the true figures of Nigeria's population. But the annual growth rate may have been caught accurately but the number of Northerners or even KANOoers should have been more. In reality, every average Muslim Kano man of about 40 yrs of age you meet is doubled his age mate from the mainly Christian South in family size, that is, wife(ves) and children. The same applies to Northern Muslims and Southern Christians.

_Waziri_

Quote from: admin on January 11, 2007, 11:59:54 AM
NewEte

We (KanoOnline Forum) do not condone you or any other member calling another with such words (jerk & stupid) as you used to refer to alkanawi. Therefore I am going to remove those posts as indicated in our Forum rules.

Adimn, I Suppose  alkanawi is good at the game of handling Ete in a way we previously could not. Perharps we can allow them a field day. If  alkanawi doesn't get exausted, he can cut him to size and get him restored to order.

lionger

For some reason I can't help being thoroughly amused by this news. I laughed all morning today thinking about it. ;D ;D ;D

Meanwhile it seems that Lagos has flatly rejected the results.

Lagos rejects census figures

The Lagos State Government has rejected the results of the 2006 National Population Census figure allotted to Lagos, stating that the Lagos State's population is more than the figure released by the National Population Commission.The state Commissioner for Special Duties and Intergovernmental Relations, Chief Dele Ajomole said this on Wednesday in a telephone conversation. The Federal Government had on Tuesday approved 140 million as the total population of people living in Nigeria out of which Lagos State had 9,013,634.However, Ajomole stated that the figure allotted to Lagos State was smaller compared to what the state government had enumerated, adding that the government outrightly rejected it. The commissioner said that the state was able to enumerate 4.9 million houses during the census with at least three people living in each of the houses." If three people live in a house and we have 4.9 million houses, definitely the population will be about 13 million. Definitely the NPC's results cannot be right. We reject it," he said. Ajomole explained that there were houses where more than 10 people live in but that he had estimated it to be three so as not to exaggerate the figure.

lionger

BTW admin,

I applaud your attempts to moderate discussion and remove inflammatory remarks; however if words like 'stupid' and 'jerk' are out of order, then you might have a lot of work on your hands in order to maintain consistency. I've already noticed Husnaa on another thread calling Ete a zombie; surely that cannot be acceptable now. Left to me I'd let sleeping dogs lie.