News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

The Dueling Banjos - Gurmi vs Kukuma Concertos!!!!

Started by Abdalla, October 01, 2007, 08:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abdalla

Jama'a, Sallama

Well it is me back again with more musical snippets! Before I tell you what it is, go to this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esl2NNOtHQE. It should take you to the Dueling Banjos scene from the film, Deliverance (1972) starring Burt Reynolds. The scene plays out a "duel" between a banjo and an acoustic guitar (the banjo player, by the way, is exactly my age -- and I am not telling!).

Now in a series I call Improvizations in Hausa Art Music, the British Council Kano, in collaborative creative partnership with Center for Hausa Cultural Studies (where I am the Chair) and with generous financial support of Standard Chartered Bank are hosting the first Hausa Art Music World Premiere which we call The Dueling Banjos on Saturday 13th October 2007 as our Barkanmu da Sallah!

What would "Hausa Art Music" sound like? Simply an acoustic and issues-based musical performance. Standard traditional Hausa music is basically about the voice and the praise-singing. With the Hausa Art music genre, we are hoping to make the audience LISTEN to the beauty of the musical instrument and the creative genius of the player. I believe this is a good opportunity for our traditional musicians to display how good they are with the various instruments they play. There will be vocals -- but they lyrics will focus on specific issues, rather than praising wane-da-wane.

In this particular concert we have four segments. The gurmi concerto where a gurmi player will be accompanied by sarewa and duman girke. Then the kuntigi concerto -- a kuntigi player accompanied by shantu (female equity instrument to balance out the genders!) and kalangu. In the third segment the kuntigi and the gurmi will lock horns -- the Dueling Banjos   -- starting as two solo instruments, then joined gradually by the other instruments for midsection performance. The instruments then drop off one by one until only the gurmi and the kuntigi are left on stage.

For the finale, we came up with something unique -- THE GURMI RAP! And this one is dedicated to Dan Kauye! In the Gurmi Rap are pairing the gurmi musician with Kano Riders, a very excellent hip hop group based in Kano (their hits include Rayuwa Cikin Kunci). Their recent demo releases are really good, and we hope to overlay their rap lyrics on the gurmi soundscape. I still don't know how it is going to turn out, but we have our fingers crossed! We start rehearsals on Monday 8th October for about three days and break for Sallah before continuing on the Saturday of the concert. If you are in the Kano central region within the period, drop by to see how yours truly act as Musical Director :D

The concert itself will be on Saturday 13th October at 19:00 hours at British Council Kano. For those who may wish to attend, I will leave some few blank invitations at the Security Office of the British Council from 8th October. Just ID yourself as KanoOnliner!

Abdalla

sdanyaro

Thanks Abdalla,

I think this is going to be cool just like the one before it...  I also think a whole lot of kanoOnline members will grace the occasion followed by minute-by-minute commentary online on kanoonline by the members. We will also be ready to have some downloads for our members that might not around...

Thanks again Abdalla,

bakangizo

Yeah. Count me in. I'd try see the rehearsals too if I'm chanced, I would be in Kano Tues or Wed next week as I'm away now.

gogannaka

It sure is going to be a wonderful event.
We'll be there Inshaallah.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

hafiz amin umar

yah,i will also be there insha ALLAH,I know it will surely be educative,entertaining and interesting.

bakangizo

I forgot to add that I hope the organizers this time will be on thier feet, especially with regards to entry into the venue. The last time was a nightmare, with all those almajirai, small kids pushing and shoving you aside. I remember the IVs do not even work that day.

Abdalla

Sigh. Noted and will definitely act on it. The problem is that our events are the only things happening on the cultural front in the Kano city, and they tended to attract massive crowd (which btw, the BC wants!). The key to avoiding all the hassle is to come early! The door opens at 7.00 p.m. and coming near that time will make sure you avoid the horde. If you leave it late (e.g. after 7.30 or when the concert starts) then that's when the wahala starts. But as I said, noted and I will liaise with the Security to ensure as much hassle-free entry for everyone as possible.

Abdalla

bakangizo

Abdalla

Rehearsals start at 14.00hrs on Monday 8th October, insha Allah, at the BC, Kano. They will go on for three days -- Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday; and then back again either Friday but definitely Saturday of the concert.

Abdalla

Muhsin

Thanks Prof. for such a hard work of, what I can describe as "re-shaping and reencating" of Hausa musics. It sounds very nice for we Hausas have a very nice music and talented musicians which only lack of support is always killing their creative mind.

And, insha Allah, I along with other friends are going to be there. But don Allah Prof. one thing; how are you going to arrange things? You know in the last concerts, people faced difficulties when entering due to massive no. of ppl. there. The gate was over-crowded with ppl of all walks-- almajirai, niggers, ladies, malams, etc. Pls! do something to call this off or rather the event won't be as entertaining as it should be.

Thanks Prof.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Muhsin

Quote from: sdanyaro on October 01, 2007, 10:19:52 PM
Thanks Abdalla,

I think this is going to be cool just like the one before it...  I also think a whole lot of kanoOnline members will grace the occasion followed by minute-by-minute commentary online on kanoonline by the members. We will also be ready to have some downloads for our members that might not around...

Thanks again Abdalla,

Thanks prof. for such an effort to restore our what I dead cultures and we will insha Allah be there. Allah ya biya.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

manasmusa

Quote from: Abdalla on October 01, 2007, 08:19:51 PM
Jama'a, Sallama

What would "Hausa Art Music" sound like? Simply an acoustic and issues-based musical performance. Standard traditional Hausa music is basically about the voice and the praise-singing. With the Hausa Art music genre, we are hoping to make the audience LISTEN to the beauty of the musical instrument and the creative genius of the player. I believe this is a good opportunity for our traditional musicians to display how good they are with the various instruments they play. There will be vocals -- but they lyrics will focus on specific issues, rather than praising wane-da-wane.

In this particular concert we have four segments. The gurmi concerto where a gurmi player will be accompanied by sarewa and duman girke. Then the kuntigi concerto -- a kuntigi player accompanied by shantu (female equity instrument to balance out the genders!) and kalangu. In the third segment the kuntigi and the gurmi will lock horns -- the Dueling Banjos   -- starting as two solo instruments, then joined gradually by the other instruments for midsection performance. The instruments then drop off one by one until only the gurmi and the kuntigi are left on stage.

For the finale, we came up with something unique -- THE GURMI RAP! And this one is dedicated to Dan Kauye! In the Gurmi Rap are pairing the gurmi musician with Kano Riders, a very excellent hip hop group based in Kano (their hits include Rayuwa Cikin Kunci). Their recent demo releases are really good, and we hope to overlay their rap lyrics on the gurmi soundscape. I still don't know how it is going to turn out, but we have our fingers crossed! We start rehearsals on Monday 8th October for about three days and break for Sallah before continuing on the Saturday of the concert. If you are in the Kano central region within the period, drop by to see how yours truly act as Musical Director :D

The concert itself will be on Saturday 13th October at 19:00 hours at British Council Kano. For those who may wish to attend, I will leave some few blank invitations at the Security Office of the British Council from 8th October. Just ID yourself as KanoOnliner!

Abdalla

Tanks professor. we will insha-Allah do our best to see that we witnessed ths historic event. and iam advising all Kano onliners to please be there for us to meet each others. best wishes.
Such is Allah your Rabb, His is the creation and...

kitkat

I was there on saturday nite and the show certainly lived up to its billing!

It was just like the Prof. described it and then some. It started on time , Security was foolproof, attendance 100% and the atmosphere was electric.

I dare say a good time was had by all, there was even a steady supplyof  cold drinks and a tasty assortment of finger food, all included in the price which was Free!

I couldnt identify the other onliners there so if anyone else was present ill give you the honour of taking us through the night's proceedings commentary style.

As for me I had a wonderfull evening.

sdanyaro

Hello kitkat,

I was there also Abdalla told me that Muhsin was at the venue as well even though I did not see him...

bakangizo

I was there with my family. I would have loved to meet any K-liner there but don't know how, as I don't know any member facially. I might have even sat close to one without knowing ;D. 

As for the occasion, I must confess my expectation was met. The organization was superb, entry into the venue hitch-free, nice refreshments served and all performances timed to the second. However, I have two observations; Firstly, the gurmi-kuntigi concerto, billed as the grand finale, and which gave the occasion its name (duelling banjos), was somewhat too brief. I mean the whole gurmi-kuntigi duel lasted no more than 5/10mins max. I was expecting a more lasting "fight" btw the two ;D Serious. And I thought the other instruments (kukuma, duman girke, kalangu, shantu) are all expected to join the duel harmoniously, in concert.
Secondly, during the Q 'n A session, someone advised the artists to refrain from re-producing old songs performed by their predessesors. I remember I made the same observation in respect of the Kukuma Rap Concert last year. It turned out he's right, as Nasiru G. Supa of the Arewa came on stage and all the songs he performed are his father's famous songs of those days. The same songs he dished out last year.  Nothing new, nothing original. It's too tedious. For how long would he keep on living on the shadow of his father's name? I would also have loved it if those oyinbos with their families present are specifically singled out/mentioned during the Vote of Thanks. You know for taking time out to attend and sit through the whole event. I just felt it is the right to do, per courtesey.

Overall, a very nice event, and an entertaining evening out. I say kudos to the Prof, and we look forward to the next event next Sallah.