News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

‘NYSC member can’t speak English’

Started by Muhsin, May 07, 2008, 05:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GamboT

I recently met a couple of highly intelligent students from Kano who are studying in AlAzhar University in Cairo. These guys can only communicate in Arabic and Hausa and they have already graduated in flying colours and are looking forward to commencing their Masters Program if they can get a scholarship. I wonder what would happen if they were posted to Akwa Ibom as Corpers.... :)
Just a thought.

gogannaka

An interesting question.
I guess they would be posted to the mosques or secondary schools to teach arabic or islamic studies(if these courses are offered there).
However,mind that the subject Ms Ikpeama studied Accounting (debit and credit,balance sheet etc) and not Igbo language.

Anyway it might be that she was taught in Igbo language.
I frequently hear this joke:
An Igbo boy was asked-Teacher: 'Emeka 10+10'
Emeka:'sir i no know'
Teacher: 'you mean you don't know? Oya ten naira plus ten naira'
Emeka: 'Sir that one na twenty naira'
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Dan-Borno

Quote from: GamboT on May 12, 2008, 12:03:44 AM
I recently met a couple of highly intelligent students from Kano who are studying in AlAzhar University in Cairo. These guys can only communicate in Arabic and Hausa and they have already graduated in flying colours and are looking forward to commencing their Masters Program if they can get a scholarship. I wonder what would happen if they were posted to Akwa Ibom as Corpers.... :)

Gambo T, the NYSC Secretariat handles this case as "special".
A friend of mine recently graduated in an Omanian UNiversity
where he read Law/Arabic Language.  At the NYSC Secretariat
they gave him liberty to choose where he wants to serve. 

There are schools in Nigeria who use to officially write to the
NYSC to post French or Arabic Teacher whenever they are
available, and I am sure that is how your friend's case will be
handled.

Malam King, i read your post thoroughly and the contents are
clear.  However, I see no reason a man should be creating
unnecessary argument or supporting controversial issues just
for satisfaction.

The case at hand is very clear.
Quote from: King on May 08, 2008, 08:20:50 PM
So the youth corp member could not communicate in English as reported by the paper. So what? What if his/her education was acquired in a language other than English? What if she was raised all his/her life in a non English speaking environment?

your above quoted post shows how controversial the King
can be.  we are talking from Nigerian perspective where
English is the official language in all the Nigerian Universities.

On the other issue, i think it was in this forum where the issue
of 1st, 2nd and 3rd class degree was raised, I proudly mentioned
how proud I am with my 3rd class degree, I went further to
state that so many students buy these class of degree and cannot
defend it whenever they are under scrutiny. 

The issue of how education is handled by the Government of my
country is a matter that concerns all patriotic citizens, especially
here in the north-east where I come from, though it is not the
theme of this thread that is why i never bother to highlight anything
on the degradation of education in my country.

Finally Kind, If my earlier accusation is by any way directed at the
wrong person - I wish to apologise.  However, we are still in the forum
and watching.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Muhsin

Quote from: HUSNAA on May 11, 2008, 06:39:39 AM
King, DB (Dan Borno) is confusing you with someone who used to be on this board. That was why he took the hostile approach. Now I am not sure if u are he, though I dont think so, because you sound totally different from the other. However there is sometimes a very tinny feeling of deja vu (especially regarding yr other post on Obama and his views on jews muslims etc, when u called my sources hogwash and u did sound rather virulent and in character) but I give u the benefit of the doubt. You sound by far more intelligent than our (me and DB's) mutual friend and friendlier and not on the offensive  which is what our mutual friend is ALWAYS at.. riling and provoking ppl with ill concealed hate posts and abusive language. So far u have sounded considerate and circumspect. So I am not hoping it is the same person, but if it is, WOW! YOU HAVE CERTAINLY CHANGED (a bit only... ;D ;D ;D)

Aunty Husnaa, you had me smiling so openly. LOL ;D ;D ;D I understnd who you mean. And I too had some bits of suspecions that he was that guy. But now I, in some ways, discard such thoughts. King is King and not E**. LOL ;D ;D ;D
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

bakangizo

Quote from: HUSNAA on May 11, 2008, 06:39:39 AM
King, DB (Dan Borno) is confusing you with someone who used to be on this board. That was why he took the hostile approach. Now I am not sure if u are he, though I dont think so, because you sound totally different from the other. However there is sometimes a very tinny feeling of deja vu (especially regarding yr other post on Obama and his views on jews muslims etc, when u called my sources hogwash and u did sound rather virulent and in character) but I give u the benefit of the doubt. You sound by far more intelligent than our (me and DB's) mutual friend and friendlier and not on the offensive  which is what our mutual friend is ALWAYS at.. riling and provoking ppl with ill concealed hate posts and abusive language. So far u have sounded considerate and circumspect. So I am not hoping it is the same person, but if it is, WOW! YOU HAVE CERTAINLY CHANGED (a bit only... ;D ;D ;D)

I have the same feeling also. Even if he's not Ete, he has the tendency to be annoying as well.

Quote from: Muhsin on May 09, 2008, 11:42:52 AM
Wallahi tallahi, tha means I swear with my creator, I'd never expected that you King could have written above words. Had it been it was some body who told me that you did write these words, I would vehemently say he was utterly lying. Why? Am afraid to say but anyway so I have to in order to wash my self from being (further) shadowy understood or rather miscalculated.
Frankly speaking, by failing to grasp the actual what I and GGNK had earlier said, you appeared apparently obtuse. Sorry if that hurts. Thats unintended and unintentional. Rather, I wholeheartedly believe what I have had said is not out-and-out what you attached to me saying.

Let me shade a bit light of who me I. Just a common student. Youngest at KanoOnline. And I believe, there are always many inconsistencies in my English for language is never my forte. Hence, what would have come up to my head to see some body as dumb or whatsoever for not understanding it while I too know I don't yet understand it?

And to paraphrase what I said; I didn't mention these two corpres ethnicity nor their religion. I only revedaled they were on compus with these guys--the story tellers.

Secondly, I'm too in some ways against using foreign language as our medium of instruction in school. That in one of the obvious reason that we are left still undeveloped.

***edit***

While posting, Lawwali's reply was submitted. It reminds me of one very vital point I forgot to pointed-out earlier.

Thats absolutely true, Lawwali. Neither a reason nor justification could be given to protect any, I mean any, graduate who cannot speak or write English as far as Nigerian education is concern. With what language has she been taught through her primary, secondadry and her university stay? And remember or read the story that she 'read' Accountancy. Haba! Thats an ostentatious and conspicous bluffing. She, as the report says, cannot even write a letter of complain of few lines to the state secretary NYSC. Kai jama'a! Amma some body come up here trying, indirectly, to say she's not faking!

muhsin, I've been meaning to advice you to avoid using complex words/phrases. Write in the english you know, not the fancy sentences/words/phrases you may want, examples of which I put in italics and underlined in your post above. Try to be as simple as possible and you would make more sense. Sometimes reading your posts is tedious.

Dan-Borno

Muhahahahahaha ba laifin Muhsin bane, it was
his Aunty who approved of his using the "Queen's
English" kuma kasan Turai yake karantawa a can
jami'a, so he needs to be practicing these words
more often, so that when he is answering or
questioning his lecturer other students will hail
our youngest guy in kline.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

Bee

Hahaha. True, and i think Muhsin is doing a good work on it however, i think it will be best if he mellows down a bit with the strong English words. It saves the reader having to breakdown words to be able to give meanings to them and stringing them all up again to give full meaning to a group of words or what the poster is actually trying to pass on. I think it will do him good also if he stays away from these words even in exams and be as simple as possible. Use special words for special reasons for instance speaking with doctors, you are free to use the medical terms, or business partners, use professional business terms/words. Whatever one is writing, it should be for the benefit of the recipient and not the sender. Truth is, even the English professors will tell you to use words that are as simple as possible to avoid any misunderstanding so that the communication can be effective. It is not cool when one does not have the time to rush and get a dictionary or a thesaurus to break down words and give them meanings. Doing that could actually zap your enegy away and when it comes to examination, it might lead to lose of deserved marks.

All that aside, young Muhsin, you are doing a good work,well done.

As for king, i think he is doing alright but sometimes, he attacks unnecessarily and judging by the categories of the topics he contributes in, give readers the impression that he is attacking delibrately. You see Mr King, most poeple will give meanings to yout posts. Speaking for my self, i have read some of you posts and i cannot help but feel there is some king of hidden...'whatever' in them. Pardon me,i may be wrong but that is what i feel and maybe others do feel the same.

This is a good forum and a very interesting one so i guess that sort of gives King's posts some kind of backup or something. Give us something, anything, a reason that will make us feel different about what we feel towards your contributions if i am not asking much (now do not attack me king,this is as peaceful as it can be  :)).
Born To Bee Great

gogannaka

Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

King

Well, Bee and others, don't read unnecessary meanings into my posts. I just call it like I see it, and yes, the issues I comment on may be sometimes controversial, or issues people shy away from. Like I said before, my views may be different from everyone else's, but that is fine also. I do not expect everyone to agree with me and vice versa. Just take what I write at face value. There are no motives or some huge conspiracy lurking around somewhere. I hope I have put your fears to rest.

Muhsin

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
You guys are very funny. You make, always, my time worthwhile up here. But, who is little Muhsin to have been percieved or rather accused (as) for using unfamiliar (or almost unenglish?) words/phrases or sentences? With my spoonful ilimin turanci... kai jama'a! Stop teasing, huh. And give me a break.

BTW DB,
I'm not reading English but EDUCATION.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

bakangizo

Quote from: Muhsin on May 15, 2008, 11:10:08 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
You guys are very funny. You make, always, my time worthwhile up here. But, who is little Muhsin to have been percieved or rather accused (as) for using unfamiliar (or almost unenglish?) words/phrases or sentences? With my spoonful ilimin turanci... kai jama'a! Stop teasing, huh. And give me a break.

BTW DB,
I'm not reading English but EDUCATION.

Ba wai you are using unfamiliar words bane. The issue is you like using 'big, fancy' words. And you mostly place them inappropriately, or you use them wrongly. This always makes it difficult comprehending your messages.

Muhsin

I understand you already. Thats why I said "almost un-English" expressions. Thats good. I always accept correction unless if its not constructive or well-judged. Thanks.

But please consider what I'd said here; And I believe, there are always many inconsistencies in my English for language is never my forte. Therefore, bear with me as you've been doing for two years. Someday, inshaAllahu, I won't be doing it like that. Moreeover, many a times, my time is very short, don haka I have to rush to respond fully. And in so doing, I use to stumble for correct words to put. But with time...inshaAllah. Mai koyo...

Keep it up!

Cekenah

Pardon my indulgences but...

I suppose that it would have been better for King to exchange his 'controversial' views with a declaration of his undying love for Hitler and approval of his near-extinction of the European Jewry, as others have done. Then perhaps he wouldn't get the third degree from  you folks and his capacity to be a useful contributor to the forunm would not be questioned...

Oops, there goes my sarcasm! Now I've unwittingly displaced King as the prime candidate for that villainous ex-forumner of hated memory (and not for the first time..) Quel dommage!

Back to the topic,
King, your pan-africanism is truly off the mark here. A graduate of a Nigerian tertiary institution in this day and age that does not possess at least an average-level command of the English language is an abberation. That's all, folks!

jewel(abdulgee22)

Quote from: King on May 08, 2008, 08:20:50 PM
Gogonnaka and Muhsin, you guys may be reaching a rather erroneous conclusion regarding your association of English with intelligence or English and Education. So the youth corp member could not communicate in English as reported by the paper. So what? What if his/her education was acquired in a language other than English? What if she was raised all his/her life in a non English speaking environment? Here in Florida, most older Hispanic immigrants that have lived in America for over three decades often can't speak English in an English speaking nation. In most cases, they are not interested in learning and that is not so much of a barrier for them because of the large Hispanic community here.

Now, there are Chinese, German, Russian, Arabic, Mongolian Engineers, Doctors, lawyers, Educators, Scientists, etc that do not speak English even though thousands of their fellow country men and women do. Does that make them less intelligent? The bottom line is that education can be attained in any language. English is not the standard by which education or intelligence is measured. So it is still colonial mentality and black inferiority complex to reject someone from a Federally mandated program based on the individual's ability to 'speak English'. This is why Nigeria and by extension Africa, is lost in darkness.

To make matters worse, here are two of you celebrating your own intelligence and making an ethnic argument over what you perceive to be your wonderful mastery of the White man's language.
There are some participants in this forum that write in Hausa all the time. Do you ever see me complain even though I do not understand a word of what they write? When that happens, I see it as the individual's preference, or a language they are most comfortable in communicating their ideas and expressing themselves in. I don't think by a long shot that they are ignorant or dumb. So wake up people. The truth is, as educated as most Nigerians believe they are, general American population usually have a hard time understanding most Nigerians because of the strong Nigerian accent. In many cases, there are ignorant Americans and others that think our English is horrible (even though it is proper and grammatically correct spoken English) simply because they do not understand it. Indians also have this problem. They speak proper English, yet people get frustrated because no one can understand them.

So please, get this mentality out of your heads. Which Nigerian language is internationally spoken? Does any foreigner care about any of our languages?
honestly i dnt kw y u r making all the fuzzy stuffs for. She doesnt know how to speak English and that is that kawai.
How can a GRADUATE not speak english? Was she in an IGBO UNIVERISTY abin wooooo.......................................
let her go back to primary skool.......................period.
for those that sleep their dreams is a reality, wake up is just an illussion."

jewel of d nile.

jewel(abdulgee22)

Quote from: GamboT on May 12, 2008, 12:03:44 AM

Have u heard of something call ARABIC TEACHERS COLLEGES in the north...................if not? find out well. And by the way they r coming back to 9ja as international students, so if they wish to serve in OGBOMOSO is their own palava. cheers
for those that sleep their dreams is a reality, wake up is just an illussion."

jewel of d nile.