News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Kano bombarded with rumour on Yar Adua's health...

Started by GamboT, May 08, 2008, 05:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King

Here is what Yar-Adua said.....

"You see, all my medical records are in Germany. And I have been going to Germany since 1986. And I do my check-ups in Germany every year. In fact, sometimes every six months. And this has been going on since 1986. Now, the fact that I'm President today doesn't mean that when I feel there's something that I think is wrong and needs to be checked, I shouldn't go to my doctors, where all my records for the past 22 years are. It is the most practical thing to do. They know the background of everything about me medically."

It is totally embarrassing for the President of Nigeria to utter words like this. Then he gets upset when people make speculations about his health and calls such speculation rumor peddling. Which part exactly is the rumor? In his own words, he falls ill like everyone else, but then UNLIKE everyone else, he travels to Germany for the very best of medical attention money can buy. He also points out that ALL his medical records are in Germany, and that they know everything about him. When the media reports some of these very admissions, he accuses them of rumor mongering. So I ask where is the rumor? But that aside, it is indeed sad and troubling to see our President travel so frequently to a foreign country for PROPER medical attention because he lacks the initiative to improve the current health care system in his own country. He is the President, and it is his job to correct anomalies in the country. With all the excess revenue we generate from crude oil sale which is currently selling at its highest price per barrel and still climbing, what is his excuse? Isn't it scary that GERMAN doctors know everything about him medically? This means he can be blackmailed easily. This also means he can be very easily eliminated by chemical poison administered into his system on any of those frequent check up trips of his. Has this thought ever occurred to him or any of his advisers? Let me play devil's advocate here for a second..if the Germans were to poison him using a progressive but lethal chemical agent, how would the local coroners in Nigeria know given the fact that they are donkey years behind modern forensic procedures?

I am yet to see a German Chancellor or any European leader for that matter travel to Africa (talk less of Nigeria) for their health concern. Not only would that be suicidal to their political life, but would be considered madness. If I recall, Yar-Adua was governor for several years before becoming President right?
Well, given the fact that his own health was always in jeopardy, what exactly was his health policy as governor? Since he had been visiting Germany for 22 years, did he once think of establishing the same medical facilities in his own home state so that people requiring similar health care needs would benefit from such high standard hospitals? Would that not have benefited him since that would have diminished his numerous and tideous trips to Germany. In my view, this is how practical people do things. Practical people have to factor common sense into policy formulation.

In America alone, it is believed that amongst all immigrant population present, that Nigeria has the most medical doctors, more than even India. We are talking about highly qualified and distinguished doctors in all areas of medicine, yet look at the state of Nigeria's national health care. Disgraceful!!!!! To add insult to injury, the President lets on almost in a bragging tone about how his health is handled exclusively in Germany. That is just pitiful. I wonder if they even really undertand why the got "S(e)lected" by the "people". The least they can do is act as if they know what to do, and quit making very unguarded comments like the one above.   

Rais

Allah ya sauwake ,may be what haven in Kaduna shi zai faru mutane na ganin "Makarfi "bashi da lafia Unfortunately "depty  Stephen "die Allah Kenan
Bayan Mutuwa akwai hisaby

bakangizo

Quote from: King on May 22, 2008, 02:15:33 AM
It is totally embarrassing for the President of Nigeria to utter words like this. Then he gets upset when people make speculations about his health and calls such speculation rumor peddling. Which part exactly is the rumor? In his own words, he falls ill like everyone else, but then UNLIKE everyone else, he travels to Germany for the very best of medical attention money can buy. He also points out that ALL his medical records are in Germany, and that they know everything about him. When the media reports some of these very admissions, he accuses them of rumor mongering. So I ask where is the rumor? But that aside, it is indeed sad and troubling to see our President travel so frequently to a foreign country for PROPER medical attention because he lacks the initiative to improve the current health care system in his own country. He is the President, and it is his job to correct anomalies in the country. With all the excess revenue we generate from crude oil sale which is currently selling at its highest price per barrel and still climbing, what is his excuse? Isn't it scary that GERMAN doctors know everything about him medically? This means he can be blackmailed easily. This also means he can be very easily eliminated by chemical poison administered into his system on any of those frequent check up trips of his. Has this thought ever occurred to him or any of his advisers? Let me play devil's advocate here for a second..if the Germans were to poison him using a progressive but lethal chemical agent, how would the local coroners in Nigeria know given the fact that they are donkey years behind modern forensic procedures?

I am yet to see a German Chancellor or any European leader for that matter travel to Africa (talk less of Nigeria) for their health concern. Not only would that be suicidal to their political life, but would be considered madness. If I recall, Yar-Adua was governor for several years before becoming President right?
Well, given the fact that his own health was always in jeopardy, what exactly was his health policy as governor? Since he had been visiting Germany for 22 years, did he once think of establishing the same medical facilities in his own home state so that people requiring similar health care needs would benefit from such high standard hospitals? Would that not have benefited him since that would have diminished his numerous and tideous trips to Germany. In my view, this is how practical people do things. Practical people have to factor common sense into policy formulation.

In America alone, it is believed that amongst all immigrant population present, that Nigeria has the most medical doctors, more than even India. We are talking about highly qualified and distinguished doctors in all areas of medicine, yet look at the state of Nigeria's national health care. Disgraceful!!!!! To add insult to injury, the President lets on almost in a bragging tone about how his health is handled exclusively in Germany. That is just pitiful. I wonder if they even really undertand why the got "S(e)lected" by the "people". The least they can do is act as if they know what to do, and quit making very unguarded comments like the one above.   

Great post 8) The President's comments just underlined how unserious and shameless our leaders are.

GoodFella

Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if he or she were going to be dead by midnight. Extend to them all the care, kindness, and understanding you can muster, and do so with no thought of any reward. Your life will never be the same again.
— Og Mandino (Motivational Author & Speaker)

Dan-Borno

Three things are involved:-

1.  Musa Yar'adua
2.  The President of Nigeria
3.  Nigeria

The president in person, the president's office and
the entity called Nigeria.

I quite understand the predicament of not only our
health sector but the entire machinaries of governance.
As far as Yar'adua (in person) is concern I see no reason
why he should'nt go up to the moon in search of better
health so long he will get one.

He stated it clearly that he has been visiting Germany
since 1986 and for the simple reason that he is now steering
the wheels of governance in Nigeria doesnt mean he should
deprive himself that long practiced freedom.

I see no fault.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

bakangizo

Of course you won't see any fault. We understand that.

A person had been going overseas for an ailment since 1986. Thirteen years later he got the opportunity and became a governor. For the eight years he governed, he continued his sojourn oversea for the same treatment. He never deemed it fit/necessary/wise to even attempt to setup or upgrade the medical facilities in his home state to cater his (and the people suffering from the same ailment), despite having billions of the State's money at his disposal. He later became a President, and the travels continue.

Meanwhile, we've seen people like Kanu Nwankwo who went through a heart surgery once. He then set up the Kanu Heart Foundation to help people with similar problem, using his hard earned money. Not money from government coffers. Not free, regular monthly allocation. His money.

So, yes, you  won't see any fault. It is normal in Nigeria.

King

Bakan Gizo, excellent response. Dan Borno, I respectfully disagree with you. Sorry, but you are wrong on this issue. Your position is even more disappointing because in the past you've been very outspoken about lack of government initiative on national development. Now however, you seem to have lost that clear sense of reasoning. This tells us that if you were in a position of leadership, you'll do the exact same thing and then rationalize your action when criticized.
Bakan Gizo pointed out the story of Kano Nwankwo who from his own medical experience had enough sense to begin a foundation for people with heart condition so they can get the proper medical help they require to enable them live normal lives. I don't even know if Kano graduated from any fancy University or attended any, but setting up a foundation like his is what initiative is all about. Now contrast that to your President who has had kidney problems for decades and his usual recourse is to hop a flight to Germany. Where is his  own foundation? Governor for 8 years and what was his health policy? If anything his only agenda should have been quality health care for all state residents.

So I disagree that he has a right to seek medical aid anywhere. He is the President of a nation endowed with mineral, material, and human resource. He has a responsibility to the people and not just to himself. So what happens when Mr. Okoro, Chief Balogun, Alhaji Danladi, or a Mallam Audu falls critically ill? Do they all get to travel to Germany like the President does on tax payer money? Can they even afford lousy health care in Nigeria? Dude, this is a serious issue. Thousands of Nigerians have died in the past couple of years for conditions that $5 or $10 medication/treatment could have prevented. Each year thousands keep succumbing to diseases and other treatable conditions because our ignorant and dumb leaders have no clue.

I read the other day that a state (can't remember which) gave several of its senior officers money to travel abroad. The question I asked was, travel abroad to do what exactly? How sick is that? To imagine that they thought of nothing better but to cut huge chunks of money and distribute the funds to government employees so they could travel abroad and have fun is sickening to say the least. This is how degenerate Nigeria has become.

Dan Borno, are majority of the people in Nigeria now mad? I ask because their actions defy logic.   

HUSNAA

DB, a dai na daure wa karya mara....! >:( 
No King, the majority of Nigerians are not mad. They are apathetic, that is our problem. We do NOTHING about our situation. or rather the common man doesnt.  Its like when the labour union wants ppl to go on strike over a pressing issue to try and force the hand of the govt, its the same common man for whom labor is trying to extract his rights from the govt, that turns round and lambasts the labor union for its actions, saying its going to impose hardship on him.. albeit a day or two's hardship. He never sits and analyzes his situation whereby he reasons that a day or two's hardship acts to alleviate the continuous hardships he is going throu as a result of the govt's insensitiveness. That is really what gets my goat. The common man would rather go and commit ritual murder in return for a few thousand naira that the will be given to him to do so and by the same politician whose actions imposed those difficulties on him in the first place.
Just the other day, I heard in the news the horrendous case of a woman whose stepdaughter set her on fire and her two young kids aged 1 and 3 yrs. They were rushed to Murtala Mohd Hospital in Kano with first degree burns. Hearing that, I just thought given the state of our hospital services, those victims would have to be destined with long lives if they were to survive. I just imagined the state of the hospital and the emergency unit. Indeed a day or two after the Beeb broke the news, they reported the passing away of the woman.  I know it is her time to die, and that is why she is dead. But the point is if she were meant to survive, someone would have flown her abroad for better medical care, or her burns may not be so severe and then she can survive it, albeit through the body's own efforts to heal itself (bi izniAllah of course), but not through any effort of the doctors or the nurses there, and certainly not through being given the proper treatment, cos I doubt if they even have iodine or gentian blue, to apply over the burns.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Dan-Borno

BKGZ, King and Husnaa - you missed the point here, especially
when you tried joining issues and dont differentiate between
individual freedom and patriotism.  No one was ever crucified
for not opening a charity organization, whoever did that does
it based on his relationship with his creator and so many if not
majority of those in power and wealth have no such charity
organizations.

The point we are discussing here is Mr. Yar'adua's health.  Do
you mean to tell me that he should sit down and watch himself
malhandled by our crook and unprofessional doctors even though
he has the opportunity of getting the best of the best doctors?

Why dont we imagine ourselves in Mr. President's shoe? In this
country's history we have recorded millions of travels abroad for
medical purposes - why the Servan-Leaders' medical travel be
something to be discussed and even branding unpatriotism to
him.  As far as I am concern, education, health, agriculture,
better work etc are things to be pursued with vigor no matter
where they are - no wonder we dont raise an eyebrow on those
who sent their children abroad to study after we have the institutions
here in Naija.

I continued emphasising that we should be looking at the President
from two side - Ummaru and His Excellency - whenever he acted as
Ummaru i think he deserves a break just like any other Nigerian. 
However, if he acted as His Excellency, then the public can now come
in with their bla bla bla bla  -

All the posters (Husnaa is the Gang Leader) hated this my President
and you dont see anything good in him.  Mr. King, I will never support
what is unfair treatment to Nigerians, and I still maintain my stand that
Nigerian Government has failed us woefully in every sector, but that
does not mean I should be biased and nail Ummaru while fighting
to keep himself fit and proper on the hot seat with guys like you eyeing
him.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

bakangizo

Quote from: Dan-Borno on May 23, 2008, 08:54:49 AM
BKGZ, King and Husnaa - you missed the point here, especially
when you tried joining issues and dont differentiate between
individual freedom and patriotism.  No one was ever crucified
for not opening a charity organization, whoever did that does
it based on his relationship with his creator and so many if not
majority of those in power and wealth have no such charity
organizations.

No one is asking them to open a charity organization. We are asking them to use our money to upgrade our medical facilities. Our money. The one they use to steal and stash away in Swiss banks.

The point we are discussing here is Mr. Yar'adua's health.  Do
you mean to tell me that he should sit down and watch himself
malhandled by our crook and unprofessional doctors even though
he has the opportunity of getting the best of the best doctors?

That's it! Mr. Pres has access to the best medical practitioners, so why should he bother about making sure that we have this excellent setup in Nigeria? Meanwhile, the rest of us masses should make do with the "crooks and unprofessional' doctors. Never mind that these crooks and banzayen likitocin are a direct result of bad governance.

Why dont we imagine ourselves in Mr. President's shoe? In this
country's history we have recorded millions of travels abroad for
medical purposes - why the Servan-Leaders' medical travel be
something to be discussed and even branding unpatriotism to
him...

Yeah. Let me imagine myself in Mr. President's shoes . *best doctors abroad whenever I feel an itch, food, shelter, security etc etc*. Now let me imagine myself in my shoes *Crook doctors, no drugs, insecurity, no gida etc etc* ::).

I continued emphasising that we should be looking at the President
from two side - Ummaru and His Excellency - whenever he acted as
Ummaru i think he deserves a break just like any other Nigerian. 
However, if he acted as His Excellency, then the public can now come
in with their bla bla bla bla 

There's nothing like umaru and Mr. President. The two are one and the same. The day he agreed to become (or rather agreed to be made) the president, however crookedly and dishonestly, he has no hiding place. His actions and inactions would continue to be linked to the life of the nation.

So it is really very surprising for you to attempt to defend the indefensible. It is disheartening really. But then this is Nigeria, where our hearts rule our heads more often than not.

Dan-Borno

Jama'a kuji tsoron Allah, dont try to blame this innocent
man fighting for his dear life. Bakangizo you taking this
issue too personal with Mr. President.

Quote from: Bakan~Gizo on May 23, 2008, 09:59:04 AM
So it is really very surprising for you to attempt to defend the indefensible. It is disheartening really. But then this is Nigeria, where our hearts rule our heads more often than not.

Indefensible indeed, but it is me that is so surprised the way
you and your team are pressing  so much to find Yar'adua
guilty for doing something which is not an offence AT ALL.

Yar'adua is not and never Nigerian problem, he alone cannot
solve the Nigerian problem - one, two, three or ten years is
never enough to repair the damages done to Nigeria, Yar'adua
may end his tenure soon (8 years) and if care is not taken
Nigeria will continue in its ailment.  Dont blame Yar'adua alone
start blaming the original designers of Nigeria.

Give my President a break pls Mr. Rainbow.

bakangizo

Of course it is personal. We are talking about healthcare system in our country. Something that affects you, me, and everybody. So if my President comes out, without first thinking about the implication of what he's going to say, and publicly declare that he has been going abroad for the last 22 years for the same treatment, without him having the foresight (or in this case, retrospect) to bring home same type of medical facility that he was going outside for, then I'm gonna take it personal. Albeit not in the way you mean.

Please note that there's no time I, Husnaa or King insinuate that he is Nigeria's problem. And we certainly didn't expect him to solve all our problems during his tenure. But if he can spend 22 years travelling for medicare without thinking of doing anything, then I'm afraid.

Problem is you are too much into 'Yar'adua that you can't see the truth, even if it stares you in the face.

gogannaka

I believe some Nigerians (most of them) will never see good in anything and no matter
how one tries to please some people will still rant and keep ranting because ranting
is good and makes one feels he is better or could do better.It also portrays you as an
expert.

First of all,it is known worldwide that Germany has an excellent healthcare system
just like Austria has an excellent transport system,china with excellent traditional
medicine ETC.There is absolutely nothing wrong when you visit an expert for expert
advice. You are not doing anything worthy of praise by staying back home (where you
are certainly sure that your healthcare system is bad) and dying because you want to
show the ranting public that you are patriotic.
Yar'adua only became became a governor 14 years after he started visiting Germany for
his medical checkups.
Some asked for his health policies. He is the first governor that introduced the free medical
treatment for pregnant women and children.He bought ambulances (not our own type of
station wagon ambulances) for all local government.Most travellers to Katsina will see this
with their 'koro koro' eyes(they are there on the highways incase of emergencies) not to talk
of the number of hospitals he built. This same person extended his hands all the way to Kano
state where he built a modern hospital right inside BUK(new site),a facility they lacked before(shame)
And like he promised during the convocation he completed it within the stipulated time and
without anyone going to him begging for money to complete the project.Of all the promises
made to the University at that time he was the only one that concluded the project in due time.
You should please kindly check the health ministry's allocation in the budget.Also check the
presidency's budget.He will complete the state house hospital,complete with a dialysis machine.
(Mind you the state house hospital is a public hospital).
I have some friends studying medicine and i learnt that all of the filled Katsina when they were
filling thier housemanship forms.It was because Katsina is the highest paying state (till now).

So to say Ummaru hasn't done anything to the health sector is a slap in his face.The kind of slap
that idan ya ce maka Allah ya isa to sai ta bi mutum.
Abeg make we dey see the positive side of things not the negative always.
When some people rant it is just to gain relevance especially a kafofin yada labaran mu.

P.S BKGZ i am in love with Ummaru  ;D and i am not PDP just being sincere.
Idan mutum yayi abun yabo to zan yaba.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

HUSNAA

Look GGNK, wannan abin da kake fada shine kamar ka ci tuwo ka rage, ka kira almajiri ka bashi ne ya cinye yana Allah Karba, kai kuma you feel magnanimous feeling that u have done some good, saboda ka bashi ragowar bakin ka, while in honest terms, you are just trying to salve yr conscience for not telling the family a ajiye ma almajirin can kwanon tuwon dare kullum.
What I am trying to get at is that ITS NOT ENOUGH!  Yar adua baiyi komai ba with the 'token' he implemented. He should give the ppl at least 30% of the sort of medical care he receives, not 0.05% of it. That way, sai ace ya tabuka!! >:(
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Dan-Borno

Auntyn Muhsin, i think its time you withdraw your
artillery over the issue of Mr. President, GGNK has
done a fair presentation of the man as he has said
most accusations are baseless and people do it for
recognition purposes only.

Bakangizo, you can also take the above prescription.