News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

JOKE OF THE DAY............... ENJOY

Started by alhaji_aminu, August 26, 2008, 11:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alhaji_aminu

Salam all,

And now, from a government of the people this:

KNSG doles out 53 Jeeps to monarchs
Stories by ALIYU YUSUF (TRIUMPH)
KANO state government says it will continue to carry along traditional institutions in running the affairs of its people even if the country's constitution fails to define their roles.
This assertion was made by Governor Ibrahim Shekarau during the presentation ceremony of 53 Jeeps to 14 council members of Kano Emirate Council and 39 district heads in the state purchased at the cost of over N516 million. The occasion took place at the Government House, Kano.
The governor noted with satisfaction the various contributions being rendered by traditional rulers in the state especially in the areas of religion, security and reconciliation among the populace, saying this has coincided with government's Societal Re-orientation Programme.
Governor Shekarau who traced the history of Kano Emirate Council to pre-Jihad period of late Shehu Usman Ibn Fodio, and the coming of the British colonialists, explained that the dynamism of the modern society that entrenches a new democratic system of governance has limited the functions of the institutions.
He said even with the constitutional provisions inherent in the democratic system, Kano state government would continue to accord priority to the running of the affairs of Kano people, expressing appreciation to the emirate council for its support and good advice to his administration.
On the vehicles distributed, the governor said it was aimed at alleviating the transportation problems of the beneficiaries to enable them discharge their responsibilities more effectively.
He stressed that the state government purchased 14 out of the total number of the vehicles for the emirate council members, while those for the district heads were purchased by their local government councils.
In his remark, the Emir of Kano, Alhaji (Dr) Ado Bayero expressed gratitude to Governor Shekarau for his untiring support, assistance and cooperation to the emirate council.
He observed that for any representative assigned the responsibility to perform efficiently, his performance must be followed up in addition to the provision of the required facilities needed for such duties, saying the vehicles provided would no doubt assist them in the discharge of their services to the people.
The emir also expressed happiness over the new improved salary structure and allowances for traditional title-holders, in the state, adding that the development will also improve their respective performances.
He called on people in the state to join hands in prayers for continued peace and stability in the state and the country at large.
Earlier speaking, the state commissioner for local governments, Alhaji Salihu Sagir Takai,
had expressed satisfaction with the cordial relationship existing between the state government and the traditional institutions, saying the vehicles provided are aimed at facilitating the movement of the beneficiaries for better service delivery.
He disclosed that a new scheme of service has been introduced by his ministry as well as the improvement of salaries and allowances of traditional title-holders in the state.
Daily Triumph observed that the Jeeps jointly purchased by the state government and the local government councils are of different brands. They include Toyota Prado Jeeps for the district heads, Nissan Armada Jeeps, Mitsubishi Pajero Jeeps and Nissan Infinity Jeeps to the emirate council members and were distributed according to hierarchies.

Need I say more..................Actually, I wish I was one of the awardees!

Allah ya gyara.

HUSNAA

Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Rais

Bayan Mutuwa akwai hisaby

alhaji_aminu

I have been on this forum for a while and I must say I have never seen HUSNAA utter something as strong as her response to the initial post. It truly is a shame that with the kind of poverty prevalent in Kano, the govt feels the best way to spend its Oil windfall is by getting SUV for our Royal Fathers. But then again, what do I know.

What is even more painful is the sheer number of vehicles bought, 53, at an exorbitant price. I mean, I myself import cars into Nigeria and I can tell you that unless the SUV is a newer model Lexus, Range Rover or Porsche then the =N= 10m spent on each is way too much.

I am afraid our dear Shekarau is fast derailing from the path of justice and fairness. First he promised water (which never flowed) and now he is spending our scarce resources in blinging out sarakuna.

Where does it end?

Muhsin

The moment I heard of it, I exactly said the same expression uttered by Husnaa. And I here will say it again; Allah ya isa, kuma ya saka mana. This Shekarau's admin is likely gonna be the worst Kano ppl ever had. Allah ya kyauta! :o

Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

gogannaka

Misplacement of priority.
I felt very sad when i heard it because the road to my house is in dire need of repair but because my local govt is PDP controlled the state govt neglects it.
The entire Sarkin Yaki road reconstruction is being done at N300 million while France road is at N700 million and you should see the work beng done,a great one.
I wonder how many roads would be built with N516 or how many surgical theaters would be constructed or how many indigenes would be sponsored to study in malaysia or how many schools would be renovated.
And kuma don't be surprised that the govt wiill still fuel and service the cars,another extra 100 million anually.
Allah ya yi masu jagora.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

bakangizo

Quote from: gogannaka on August 28, 2008, 03:04:50 PM
I felt very sad when i heard it because the road to my house is in dire need of repair but because my local govt is PDP controlled the state govt neglects it.

Maganin ku kenan. Me ya kaiku zabar feedeefee? ;D

Jokes aside, I agree that it doesn't have a nice ring to it. I mean, when you look at it, it isn't that calamitous. Much more money than that may have been wasted elsewhere, for other meaningless ventures, quitely without anybody being the wiser. What's distasteful is the timing, particularly when there are more pressing needs. You just don't do such "bonanzas" publicly in our dear, poverty-stricken society. So, the "royal fathers" may deserve it, but we the poor masses would certainly deem it a slap on our faces.

HUSNAA

Quote from: Bakan~Gizo on August 28, 2008, 05:32:49 PM
So, the "royal fathers" may deserve it, but we the poor masses would certainly deem it a slap on our faces.

Why do they deserve it? What do they contribute economically to the society to make them worthies? To me its a case of kara wa mai karfi karfi that's all.

Dave_McEwan_Hill

One of my less pleasing memories of Kano was the disrespect, almost contempt, that many of the "ruling class" (no longer "ruling",ko?) felt for all the rest of their people.
This was not really deliberate. It was custom. It was traditional. It was the way they had been conditioned by society and position to think.
And it could only happen because the rest of their people consented to it.
I had many acquaintances among these persons and many of them were fine people. But it is true to say that they were much more respectful to strangers like me than they were to their own.

If this attitude changes, if the common people of the north are encouraged into serious education and encouraged to have high ambition (which is presently curbed by societal attitudes in the North ) and particularly if the North recognises the monumental agricultural potential of the Northern plains in a hungry world a better future could be secured.
But you may need help initially and you shouldn't worry over much where than comes from as long as it is efficient.
What astounded me latterly as a British (Scottish) educationalist in the North was the decision which was taken by successive governments - both State and national - to import technical and educational help from societies which were no more advanced and no more developed than Nigeria's.
I couldn't see any sense in that though I understand fully why that policy had a lot of appeal from a historical perspective.
maigemu

bakangizo

Quote from: HUSNAA on August 31, 2008, 08:09:52 AM
So, the "royal fathers" may deserve it, but we the poor masses would certainly deem it a slap on our faces.

Why do they deserve it? What do they contribute economically to the society to make them worthies? To me its a case of kara wa mai karfi karfi that's all.

Easy. I said 'may' deserve it. I'm not defending it, as I mentioned the timing of the gift was wrong, given that the money could be used for the betterment of the state elsewhere. And no matter how you look it, they contribute one way or the other in the society. Contributions can come in different forms, not necessarily economic in nature.

Nuruddeen

Quote from: gogannaka on August 28, 2008, 03:04:50 PM
Misplacement of priority.
The entire Sarkin Yaki road reconstruction is being done at N300 million while France road is at N700 million and you should see the work beng done,a great one.
I wonder how many roads would be built with N516 or how many surgical theaters would be constructed or how many indigenes would be sponsored to study in malaysia or how many schools would be renovated.
And kuma don't be surprised that the govt wiill still fuel and service the cars,another extra 100 million anually.
Allah ya yi masu jagora.

Of course Gogannaka, this is sad indeed. I think Mallam is now derailing from his responsibilities. His government is hiding under God by making ppl see that they are really working. However, it is sad to see how Kano is turning into a sorry state. People are just camouflaging under Allah to seek refuge. I don't see any reason why one should use public money to buy luxurious cars for traditional rulers who always subjugate the down trodden.

May God guide Shekarau and his cronies aright.Ameen
o try and fail is atleast to learn. That will save one the inestimable loss of what might have been (positive or negative).

HUSNAA

Quote from: Bakan~Gizo on August 31, 2008, 05:52:19 PM
Quote from: HUSNAA on August 31, 2008, 08:09:52 AM

Easy. I said 'may' deserve it. I'm not defending it, as I mentioned the timing of the gift was wrong, given that the money could be used for the betterment of the state elsewhere. And no matter how you look it, they contribute one way or the other in the society. Contributions can come in different forms, not necessarily economic in nature.

Lol, I'm easy; the vehemence is only on celuloid, BKG. I'm more frustrated than annoyed. Well since the royal fathers contribute in other ways which are not necessarily economic then they should be compensated in kind.

Quote from: Dave Hill on August 31, 2008, 05:52:19 PM
What astounded me latterly as a British (Scottish) educationalist in the North was the decision which was taken by successive governments - both State and national - to import technical and educational help from societies which were no more advanced and no more developed than Nigeria's.
I couldn't see any sense in that though I understand fully why that policy had a lot of appeal from a historical perspective.

Dave expand on this please. Sounds interesting and I want to know what policy this is and its appeal from a historical perspective. I guess u meant importing doctors and teachers from India (for example) in yesteryears ko?

Dave_McEwan_Hill

In particular I remember the recruitment of masses of staff from the Philipines, many of whom could hardly talk English, some of whom appeared to have no appropriate qualification at all and some of whom were rumoured to be no more than karwai (is that the right word?) for the convenience of some senior Government figures. I remember a jockey who fell off a horse at Kano Racecourse lying in a corridor at Nasserawa Hospital with blood coming out one ear as I tried to get an Asian "surgeon" to intervene to save his life. He refused to operate. The jockey died. It turned out the qualification that particular surgeon had had been gained in India from book reading and his degree was so inferior that it prevented him from practising medicine in the UK. I took that case to Government House and the New Nigerian and Kano TV covered it. I remember and worked with some very good Asian staff as well it has to be said but some absolutely useless with extremely dubious qualification who seemed to be gaining employment by being recruited by some arrangement with officials and some "brothers" already in employment. It has to be said also that the emigration of qualified staff out of developing countries into better paid employment elsewhere damages the countries they have come from. In the few years before I left the employment of the Ministry of Education in Kano I watched the State pay very generous salaries to newly recruited foreign staff of very dubious quality. 
maigemu

gogannaka

Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Muhsin

Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.