News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Does anybody read Hausa books?

Started by Fateez, July 12, 2009, 07:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gogannaka

BKGZ or Muhsin can you help me make up a small scene with our hausa culture.
As in write a short story on how the authors can write a story using our culture.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Muhsin

Salam,

You don't have to take it that further, GGNK. I am one of the folks who have little regard to our Hausa culture, especially when it dissent religion, common sense and the like, which it occationally does. But one thing you should know; any writing should reflect the culture of the society in which its written in. And our Kano Market Literature books contain something else.

More-over, take a look at all other writings in Africa, for example, Achebe's writing colligates Igbo society; Soyinka, Yoruba's land; Aliyu Kamal, Zainab Alkali, Abubakar Gimba, etc writings are virtually tie in Hausa/Northern societies. Why can't they follow the suit?

Further still, a writer is not to only celebrate his co-called culture. He as a writer (deep-down thinker) is burdened to look at it critically, scrutinized it, judge it fairly, etc and later come up with what will be useful to his society. We can clearly understand that doing that could be the negative of celebrating it (the culture) as does, for instance, Achebe in Things Fall Apart; Aliyu Kamal in Portrait of a Patron, Silence and Smile and other novels.

Ya ka gani?
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

gogannaka

Muhsin duk na gane abun da kake fadi.
Ni abun da nake gani shine,ai babu dole sai mutum yayi promoting culture ko kuma ya yi rubutu akan yadda society take.
Since these things are fiction ai a writer is at liberty to write on whatever creative thing that comes to his/her mind.
Why must they promote or write in accordance to a specific culture?
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Muhsin

My man! I say should not must. And not only promote it but demote it where necessary.

In contrast, their writing is something alien.  ::)

Will continue later, inshaAllah.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.