News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Goodluck Jonathan Is Now The "President" Of Nigeria

Started by Muhsin, February 09, 2010, 04:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muhsin

The Nigerian parliament today voted to transfer power to vice-president Goodluck Jonathan in the prolonged absence of the president, Umaru Yar'Adua, who has been receiving hospital treatment in Saudi Arabia.

Both the house of representatives and senate passed motions enabling Jonathan to act as president and commander-in-chief of the armed forces until Yar'Adua, who left Nigeria in November last year, is fit enough to resume his duties.

"The vice-president ... shall henceforth discharge the functions of the office of the president, commander-in-chief of the armed forces of the federation, as acting president," the senate motion said.

The motions would allow Yar'Adua to reassume the presidency if he returns healthy enough to lead the country of 150 million people. However, many think he is too ill to serve again, casting doubt on the leadership of the ruling party in the run-up to next year's presidential election.

Guardian (UK)
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

gogannaka

Conspiracy has it that one of his major tasks will be allocating oil blocks.
Nigeria hasn't sold any major oil block in a long time and that is what the yar'adua supporters are loooking forward to.
So also are the Jonathan loyalists.
I guess the Jonathans have it.
We will be behind watching when the next oil bloc allocations will hold.
I wish i could get one too.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

bakangizo

Quote from: gogannaka on February 09, 2010, 04:39:13 PM
We will be behind watching when the next oil bloc allocations will hold.
I wish i could get one too.

Of course you can get one. Just join feedeefee. That's the starting point ;)

maikyau

GGNK Mu cabinet muke jira a canja ko na samu in canji mansur muktar

Abu-Safwan

Quote from: maikyau on February 10, 2010, 01:12:35 PM
GGNK Mu cabinet muke jira a canja ko na samu in canji mansur muktar

kai kuma a suwa? That has been our concern (the possible aftermath of Goodluck's take-over) amma kai kana wani zance da ban.

bakangizo

Does it matter whether the cabinet is changed or not? What has the present cabinet done to deserve staying in their positions?

Dan-Borno

its all a grand conspiracy of the feedeefee to rip this
country off and make mockery of democracy and we
watch helplessly. 

despite the various reports and stories we read on our
daily papers, most of this newspaper editors are
cronnies of the men in power and never report the true
position of things going on between the real masses and
the government.

we watch.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

maikyau

Haba Abu Safwan na yanzu me suka tsinanawa kasar har kake tada jijiyar wuya kana tambaya ni kuma a su wa.

Dave_McEwan_Hill

I have just watched on Al Jazeira news just about the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in my life.
It was live footage of the Nigeria Army and the Nigeria Police rounding up poor beggars in the street, making them lie face down on the road then shooting them in the head.
I don't think I can forget the look in these poor mens faces as they had the guns put to their heads. I am totally and absolutely disgusted.
In fact I cannot find words to express my revulsion.
maigemu

gogannaka

Yes,i couldn't watch it. I will have nightmares.
It is so sad,how some people don't value human lives at all.

The house of assembly has ordered a full investigation into the matter. Unfortunately i doubt if anything will ever be done to punish the offenders. It is a common thing in Nigeria. The police kill over N20 bribe at check points and nothing is done to them. The best that has ever been done is when they killed a woman and her baby in Kwara state and they were dismissed. Till now they haven't been convicted.
Honestly,the populace need to stand up and fight this disgusting attitude. The lawyers and national assembly need to do something.
If there is law that gives immunity to the police it should be re-considered. Their lives are no better than the lives of any Nigerian.
These culprits should be punished.

Although this thread is not the right place for this discussion.

Nuruddeen

Good luck Jonathan! Bye- bye Yar'adua. I wish Jonathan a hitch-free administration. And symphatize not with Yar'adua. That is always the price of being greedy and developing a thick skin over good deeds, kamala and sanin ya kamata. If not Yar'adua is joking with God, he could not have succumbed to Obasanjo's political dribbling and preside over a stolen mandate. OBJ-the political genius has really won this game willy nilly. Allah ya kara. Yan Arewa sai ayi hakuri a kuma nemi wata hanyar amma ba dai siyasa ba a Nigeria. Sai dai ai hakuri. Kwadayi, sakarci da rashin hankalin "manyan Arewa ya janyo wa 'ya ya da jikoki.
Madallah da wannan al'amari.
o try and fail is atleast to learn. That will save one the inestimable loss of what might have been (positive or negative).

gogannaka

I am not supporting the way Jonathan was made president.Wallahi rainin hankali ne matuka.
The man was power hungry from the onset, just that nobody knew.
During all the confusion Mr Goodluck should have addressed the nation and say all is well,there is no vacuum in Govt.
Ever since Yar'adua left the VP has been chairing the executive council meeting and noo minister has ever opposed him.
They had all believed that he was thier leader.
As VP he ordered the deployment of troops to jos.That itself is a role of the commander in chief. If there was a vacuum
the soldiers wouldn't have obliged.
Mister VP has also approved various contracts that only the executive council could approve,example the building of his house at over 7.1 Billion Naira.
Nigerians were just taken for a ride and we have been duped.
I wonder why people actually thought there has been a power vacuum.

Another fact is that Jonathan's institution as president is wrong and unconstitutional.
You cannot right wrong with wrong.The National Assembly according to one lawmaker, usurped the powers of the Executive Council of the Federation as provided under Section 144 of the 1999 Constitution by elevating Jonathan meaning that the National Assembly has succeeded in declaring Yar'Adua incapable of performing his duties which is not their role.

"Only the Executive Council of the federation can declare the President unfit to continue in office as provided under Section 144.

"The only role the constitution prescribes for the legislature in this circumstance, is impeachment; since the National Assembly did not take that path, they have no further role"

The new president in his speech to the nation failed to make mention of the seven point agenda of yar'adua or the rule of law mantra. This only shows that there isn't going to be any continuity.We are back to the starting point which confirms to us that we are just a nation running around in circles,no direction. Another useless move was removing and demoting the AGF. Many are happy because aondoakaa was seen as acontroversial figure and the media has painted him all black. However, Mr Goodluck perfectly knows that his elevation to president is illegal and the AGF can easily prove that in court so he hurriedly removed him.

Shi kuma shegen,David mark hurriedly demanded that section 145 be amended immediately.

Its too bad that Yar'adua will certainly not retain his former seat.
2-0,an cinye mu sai dai collateral damage.

IBB

I wonder why all this confusion over the VP issue. Let me ask why is the VP office created, if not when the president is absent to act on his behalf?

What took the president this long to approve his vice to act on his behalf. Morever he will resume his office when he's well and capable.

I dont understand why our leader put their interest first before national's.

My dream is to have a united African states not just united Nigeria. If we continue to act like this our country is heading to dectruction due to lack of unity. Every tribe will now be fighting for it interest or the southerners could even merge theirselves together and stand against any Northerner wishing to be president of the nation. Given, even on sick bed for such long days we wouldn't relinquish power.

LONG LIVE UNITED NIGERIA
IHS

gogannaka

IBB, the president was rushed out of the country in a terrible state,not even the VP saw him when he was flown out.
It wasn't as if anybody had it in mind. However as Yayale Ahmed confirmed to the senate,the president 2 days before his departure had phoned the VP and asked him to carry out all the presidential duties.
If Jonathan wasn't involved in the scheme to make himself president why didn't he ever mention that to cool the 'tension in the air' as they made everybody believe.

You are thinking about a United Nigeria, hmm, i doubt if your brothers down south are thinking that way.
Now just wait and see how we will be rubbished.

HUSNAA

Dan Allah ku kyale Goodluck yayi aikin sa. Like IBB said, the position of VP is there to fill in the gap should anything happen to the president. Ni a ganina ma the post of acting President bcoms automatic the moment the position bcoms vacant even for a minute. If GJ was power hungry, he wasnt alone, shi ma yar adua din was power hungry otherwise he shouldnt have accepted the presidency in the first instance, knowing that he was sick and secondly he shouldnt have accepted it knowing that the election was flowed. So he is a worse than GJ, tunda shi jiran tsammani yayi and he was well aware that kila wa kala ne zamansa prez (unless we are going to blame the prez's illness as some sort of machinations on the part of the VP.
BTW who is the new  VP?
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum