News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

How can internet be really cheap?

Started by zezezee, January 04, 2004, 12:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zezezee

Hello guys, just thot we could share ideas on how we can make internet access become cheaper than ever in nigeria. I'm not referring to internet cafes but home and office subcriptions. Presently, the only 2 methods of access that are dominant in the country are dial-up and wireless broadband, which are expensive compared to the rates world wide. for example, in the US a person pays $30 (N4,000) monthly for DSL access. This is a flat rate, no monthly phone bill and the access is 24-7. Here, the cheapest dial-up anyone can lay his/her hands on is N6,000 a month, not to talk about the phone bill he pays(N4.50/minute).

So ladies and gentlemen, with the derregulation of the telecomms industry and most importantly, with the emergence of the wireless local loop companies, we have them providing the backbone connection, and all u have to do is hop on and provide the data services. and believe u me, things will become cheaper. With a single radio equipment they install at a customer premise, costing less than N10,000, having access 24-7 to their network, u can pass the data services and the monthly charges can be as low as N10,000 a month. Data rates can be as high as Mbps. Banks, Reasearch Centres, Schools, Hospitals, Cafes, Home Users, etc can all be clients.

So what do u think? New ideas r welcome pls......
 just realised that nothing is what it seems.

DanBanza

zezezee, walahi you lost me in your second paragraph...let me see if I get you correctly.

Is wireless broadband low as N10, 000 a month in Nigeria? Frankly, Im thinking of heading to the motherland but I need to assess the situation more... especially the IT environment.

To tackle the topic, the internet in Nigeria can only be come cheaper if there are more ISP's; basic demand principle. I want to start something similar in Nigeria but the costs are scary, especially for one with severely limited finances.

zezezee

Mallam DanBanza, so no be only for shakiyanci u de serious ko? Anyways, this is my elaboration on the matter.

See, in Nigeria, our main problem as it is today, is access to the network. If not Nitel, who has cables running though cities? And it is so unfortunate, they r not willing to make things easier for the common man in this country. But, with the emergence of all these Telecomms Companies (Wireless Local Loop especially), getting to the Costumer's Premises is no more a big problem. So u see, even though access to the world-wide network is still not so cheap in this part of the world, leaving investors with VSAT as the only option, we can still make things considerably affordable.

As you mentioned earlier, simple demand rules dont work in Nigeria, well not the normal way though. If they did, we wouldnt be making normal GSM calls at the rate we do today. The NCC is not making things easier on their on side neither. With the most recent Decree NCC made, for all comercial wireless network providers to vacate the ISM band (2.4ghz) and migrating to a licensed one, internet access has already started shooting up in most cities accross the country. ISPs are forced to shut down to acquire a license for operating at any frequency (additional cost). This is not making things easier for the common man!

This is the main reason why I think the easiest way is to hop on to the network of the Wireless Local Loop network. See, as far as they have equipments that can support Voice and Data synchronously, a subscriber can have a radio equipment at his premises primarily for making voice calls, and then enjoy data as secondary services.

Let me please know what ?you think of this.
Laterz
 just realised that nothing is what it seems.

Shiekh

dan kauye

soundz lyk a nyce idea zezezee....yeah an average living nigerian cant afford d internet....d shit's 2 damn xpensive...so wats ur suggestion??
Dan-Kauye's Artist Of The Week;Robin Thicke

Shiekh

but Dankauye(I dont like saying the name-sounds like an insult) for some that can afford it kuma fa?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shiekh"but Dankauye(I dont like saying the name-sounds like an insult) for some that can afford it kuma fa?

hahah sheikh kai fa kace a hada karfi da karfe...ai idan an yi haka za a iya affording ko kuwa?....abeg pay me no mind...wallahi nima bansan ta yaya zan iya affording ba kawai dai na fada ne ta fatar baki(sorry fatar keyboard)....lol.peace ya!

Shiekh

"....abeg pay me no mind..."

I dont understand. shed mo layt, ok?

dan kauye

sheikh.... dat anonymous reply was myne  i 4got 2 sign in ....and bout dat *pay me no myned *i waz juss tryna say u shudnt pay attention 2 wut i said bout d affording thing coz i cant afford it 2.got me? gud! peace ya

dan kauye

and  uhmm sheikh...u said u dont lyk calling me dan-kauye,why???? wallahi ka bani bakar(black) dariya! do u hav idea bout dis memba called dan-banza??? den wut'd ya think bout dat???....abeg oooo i'm a reel dan-kauye i waz boen n bred in d billage n still lives dere ,y wud i trade my billage 4 city?? u dont xpect me 2 do juss dat do u ?....ooooh we're suppose 2 be talking bout science n tech in here..peace!

Shiekh

waaau!, thats the last name I can ever call(with due respect to the bearer), kagane ko(understand)?

dan kauye

Quote from: "Shiekh"waaau!, thats the last name I can ever call(with due respect to the bearer), kagane ko(understand)?

kai sheihk......(smyles devilish)!

Shiekh

Shiekh

yaya haka Dan kauye? za kayi ziga ne? peace ya.

gogannaka

Topic slightly getting off-balance......it says how can internet be really cheap?
I dont see ideas flowing
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment