News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

KANO RIOTS

Started by Fulanizzle, October 16, 2001, 04:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulanizzle

Salamu alaikum

just wanted to see everyone's opinion on what's going on in Kano.....

As for me, i am heartbroken, coz i was thinking if anything should happen like the war spreading (Allah ya kiyaye) I would come running back home to Nigeria where it is safe.... but then i hear the depressing news...........

And for those who are in Kano, is it that bad, or is it just people exaggerating.............?

But I pray for things to get much better....and the lives that were lost, Allah ya jikan su.........Allah ya kiyaye mana duka.............

Salam.
)

Anonymous

I felt bad also. But then the leadership in Kano must have to look at the issues of unemployment and the provision of basic amenities to the society. :-[

Anonymous

barka!

well what really happened in kano was bad.And why the govt didnt deploy troops since on frinday when the violence is about to start.

sdanyaro

Salamu Alaikum;

I just got a copy of a letter to CNN News from Ali Magashi in Kano regarding the Kano riots.
It shows that there is inaccurate reporting of this event from the media especially CNN TV news
Here is the link to the letter; ?a Letter to CNN TV News Reports on Kano, Nigeria Riots ?please read it and give us your comment. We like to hear from all and most especially from Kano.

Thanks...

Anonymous

Salam,
Here we are, way behind in almost everything one can think of. The last thing we need is Riots & Unrest. Yet, It is becoming an Annual event. It is sad, most unfortunate, and Disheartening. It is about time we all sat down and looked into the problems with a view to providing a lasting solution.

Fulanizzle

Salamu alaikum.........

after reading Mr.Magashi's letter, i wasn't that shocked. Coz time and time and time again i always told my folks that CNN isn't reliable. Here, people ?keep telling me "Wow 200 people were killed in Kano, Nigeria" and while not even up to four got killed ....its crazy! ?Now people all over the world think that what happened in Kano was a REAL BIG issue.

for example after the attack on US......CNN not for once did they show that Muslims and Arabs in the US were being, harrassed, killed, maltreated, stoned down, instead they were trying to show that everything is calm and undercontrol within the muslims/arabs and the non-Muslims/non-arabs......

.........but BBC did report how the Muslims in America were being mishandled. So a thousand times I prefer BBC.......

Anywayz....My whole point is that, this whole Kano-issue thing was exaggerated!

hope everything turns out well, insha Allah......
)

wakeel

Assalamu alaikum
We shall thank Allah that the situation is now under control.I think it is the relative low level of literacy and high poverty level in the country that made our environment prone to civil unrest especially during civilian regimes.
There was protests all over the world Europe and America inclusive but they did not went looting and killing themselves.
Let us hope that peace shall reign long enough to enable us reap the dividend of democracy.

Thanks
Wakeel Imam :(wakeelimam@hotmail.com)

Anonymous

I like this website alot because you can use this website (this discussion board in particular,) to speak the voices of the northern literates. Northern Nigeria is stereotyped with a vast amount of indecency and illiteracy; this discussion board can start changing the ideologies of the people who think that.

I am a yoruba kid who grew most of his life in the north and i know that the north is not what most nigerians think it to be. I also agree about CNN's bias, they are having a hard time here in US just because of their onesidedness.

Anonymous

salam,
what happened in kano not suprising at all because there are a lot people at there who dont have anything to do (yan daba and yan cuwa-cuwa). so anything they could do to get themselves busy is very welcome.

Anonymous

salam alaikum,
allah ya sawwake ya jikan wadanda suka mutu,amma masu zaman banza ne suka yi mana yawa ba doka da oda tunda ana siyasa.

Anonymous

I am very relieved to hear that the Kano riots was not very serious. I also commend Ali for a quick email response to the CNN report.

Anonymous

I want to caution you on the quick feeling of relief over the Kano incident, it was not as light as you are assuming. The wrong reasons were adduced by CNN when it reported that it was a Shari'ah riot and that Muslims were killing Christians, this was not so. But the reality was that an organised gang of hoodlums went around killing Christians and destroying their property. This provoked a reaction by Christian armed gangs to exact revenge on any Muslim and their properties they can find.

Finally when the security forces arrived on the scene, they shot at both Christian and Muslim gangs. the dead bodies of these gang members plus thier victims made the number killed look large, but in actual fact half the dead were hoodlums. But CNN reported that ALL the dead were Christians killed by Muslims.

To be frank, quite a number of people were killed, possibly more than 200, but some 95% of Kano was blissfully unaware of the happenings. So the question that need to be asked is, who is doing the killing? Who organised the gangs? Why? The same thing happened in Jos, Benue, Kaduna and recently in Ibadan. In the dead of night these hoodlums will go to burn a church/mosque or two and it will be spread around that it is either burned by Muslims or Christians and the stage is set for conflict.

This is a very serious matter since this generates a situation of perpetual tension between the groups and hardly anything meaninful can ever be achieved and we will do well to understand who is benefitting from this situation. We know the agitators for break-up of the country have failed due to the stability of the north, they have now figured that the only way succeed is to distabilize the north. This we must not allow them to achieve.

Fulanizzle

[Allah YA kiyaye mana gabaki daya. Kuma Allah ya shirye those trouble makers.........thats all i can say]]
)

sdanyaro

Assalamu alaikum;

Thanks a lot for everybody's comment and contribution to this important topic. It's been very informative and constructive on-going discussion. I hope we all can learn from the discussion.

I have just uploaded an article sent be Ibrahim Ado Kurawa that goes in to more detail about the root causes of Riots in Kano, he touched on the historical as well as contemporary causes. The article also provided some solutions in order to prevent the recently frequent occurrences of these kinds of riots.

Here is the article, read it and let us know your comment:

Cause
s of Kano Riots and Solutions

Anonymous

I have always thought of Africa being a beautiful place, and always wanted to visit my whole life, however it pains me to watch the news and see the things I see.
For some reason I thought my people would be made of PRIDE, RESPECT, AND BEING VERY SERENE.  
I mean unruffled, unclouded, but being very calm and regal like  the  KINGS AND QUEENS YOU ALL ARE.  
I hope and pray for all of us THE RIOTS STOP, the country is already divided. I watch the news and see things going on in Sierra Leone, Nigeria, and Kenya just to name a few.  I live in the USA but always thought of AFRICA AS BEING MY TRUE HOME.

Thanks,
Mary P.