News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

SOUPS

Started by ummita, May 05, 2004, 06:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ummita

Miyan kuka, Miyan Taushe, Miyan Agushi, Miyan karkashi, Miyan kubewa,  and a variety of peri-peri soup/perper soup. Please provide recipes below. Thank you.
[/b]
Despite ur slammin, am still jammin!!!

Surayya Galadanci

TRADITIONAL PEPPER SOUP.

PERPESUN GANDA  OR KWAMO
PEPPER SOUP OF COW HEAD AND LEGS.

WHAT YOU NEED
Ganda=cow head & legs
Groundnut oil
Maggi, curry, thyme, salt and other spices
Tomato, onions, hot pepper, atarugu, garlic

HOW TO PREPARE
Grind tomato,pepper, onions and garlic
Pour "ganda" in a pot and pour the tomato mixture. Add 8 cups of water and maggi,salt,curry,thyme and 5 table spoon of groundnut oil. Cover pot and allow to cook for 6hrs.

Very tasty.

straightalkin

NI DAI WALLAHI INA MARMARIN FATEN TSAKI AMMA BAN SAN YADDA A KE YI BA. INA COOKS DIN K-online?

gogannaka

Quote from: "straightalkin"NI DAI WALLAHI INA MARMARIN FATEN TSAKI AMMA BAN SAN YADDA A KE YI BA. INA COOKS DIN K-online?

I'm not a cook amma dai i know that to prepare Faten tsaki,make all the arrangements as done when preparing faten doya or wake but instead of the doya you put tsaki.......pretty simple ko[/size]
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

straightalkin

I'm not a cook amma dai i know that to prepare Faten tsaki,make all the arrangements as done when preparing faten doya or wake but instead of the doya you put tsaki.......pretty simple ko[/size][/quote]

thanks. i thought it was a complicated process but maybe i am wrong. i will experiment and see what i come up with. cookin is all about experimenting anyway.............

Hafsy_Lady

Jama'a ku bani waje, ba macen datafini iya girki. If you know my origin background, then you will definately know that muna da shaida wajen iya girki

OUR TRADITIONAL SOUP CALLED "WAT"
BEEF, CHICKEN, VEGETABLE OR SPLIT PEAS SOUPS

For a party of about 6:

1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon curry powder
1 Tablespoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon sweet basil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Chop 6 good-sized onions and the cloves of one head of garlic. Put them into a heavy, 12" covered casserole, without oil or water. At high heat, stir constantly until the onions appear translucent.

Add one cup of olive oil. Lower heat to medium, and simmer uncovered about 10 minutes.
Add 1/2 Tablespoon of Tektonic Hot Paste, or 1 Tablespoon of Tektonic Savory Paste, and stir until completely blended.
Stirring all the while, add:

Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes.
Add 12 oz. tomato paste and stir until completely blended. Simmer 10 minutes.
By now your "wat" has a rich, red color and a flavor to match! All in all, about 1 hour may have been expended in the preparation. Below are some dishes you may produce using this "wat".

DORO (CHICKEN) "WAT"  

Cut up one whole chicken into 8 to 10 pieces, and discard all skin and fat. Make a few lengthwise slits in each piece, and marinade about 6 hours, in fresh lemon juice and white wine.

Add the pieces one by one to the basic "wat", a very low heat, turning often to coat each thoroughly. Slow cooking will help give rich flavor to the meat.

Your chicken lays eggs:
Hard boil 10 eggs. Shell and make 4 or 5 lengthwise slits around each egg, being careful not to cut into the yolk.

Add the eggs to the "wat" turning them gently in among the chicken pieces. Cook about 1 hour, stirring from time to time, until the chicken is cooked through.

SIGA (BEEF) "WAT"

Turn OFF the heat under your basic "wat". Add 1 1/2 lb. lean, ground beef, a little at a time, mashing thoroughly until it is completely integrated with the "wat".

Turn the heat to very low and continue mashing to ensure the ground meat does not clump. You want your "siga wat' to be thick and smooth, not grainy. Stir until well blended, then turn off heat and let stand.

Before serving, rewarm at very low heat. Sometimes we add bite-sized chunks of bottom round, to cook lightly at this stage.

ATAKILT (VEGETABLE) "WAT"

This is a delicately flavored dish. When preparing the basic "wat" for this dish, we suggest you substitute Tektonic Savory Paste for the Hot Paste, and do not add tomato paste.

Cut 6 large potatoes and 6 large carrots into bite-sized chunks. Stir in your modified basic "wat', and cook at medium heat, about 25 minutes.

Cut 1 head of cabbage in half, lengthwise, and separate the leaves from the core. (You may cut the core into chunks and add these to the carrots and potatoes.)

Carefully layer the cabbage leaves over the potatoes and carrots. Don't worry if the lid does not close - in time, as the cabbage leaves stem, it will.

Continue cooking at medium heat. As the leaves begin to wilt, gently push them toward the bottom with a wooden spoon, and bring the potatoes and carrots to the top. The leaves should be limp but not broken.

Reduce head to very low and simmer, still carefully turning the "wat" through the cabbage leaves. Cook another 10 minutes, or until the potatoes and carrots are cooked through but still firm.

KIK (SPLIT PEAS) "WAT"

Here is a hearty, protein-rich vegetarian dish that will delight meat-eaters too!

Rinse 1 lb. of dried, yellow split peas in cold water. In a separate pot , cover the peas with cold water, bring to a hard boil, and turn off heat. Drain and add to your basic "wat".

This dish must be cooked at very low heat. stirring frequently. Turn off heat when peas are cooked through but still chewy.

If necessary to rewarm, do so at very low heat to prevent sticking and burning.

BY THE TIME YOU EAT THIS SOUP TO GO ALMOST ANYTHING
What you see is what you get[/b]

Anonymous

gogannaka I definitely agree with yor argument.

Hafsy_Lady

Ai kai komai you agree with it ne (hisssssssssss) :roll:
What you see is what you get[/b]

amira

am feelin any tasty soup now without snails.
*Each day is definately defining me and finding me*

Fateez

Haba sisterr, are you starting a movement to boycott snails ne??

Kun bar dadi wallahi...............

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

gogannaka

Movement for the emancipation of snails...A'a,Fateez  :P

I happen to have a bitter leaf tree in front of my house and thought i should utilize it properly by making bitter leaf soups.Any one has any recipes.
I remember the last time i took bitter leaf(shuwaka) soup it was very very bitter and was told that it was because the leaf wasn't washed thoroughly.
Kuma an ce it loosens the stomach so i dont want the kinda recipe that'll make me the toilet's companion.
Oya contribute.

gogannaka

Duk matan wajen nan a ce an rasa wadda ta iya miyar shuwaka.MTSSS
An ji kunya amma.
To dan barno mai shiga kitchen,sai ka shiga ka zakulo wannan recipe book din naka.
Amma fa ban da mugunta da'allah.kawai miyar shuwaka nake so na koya.

Dan-Borno

RECIPE FOR BITTER LEAF SOUP (SHUWAKA)

2 lb of fresh or dried bitter leaf.(spinach may be used as a subsitute)
2 lb of beef, oxtail,dried fish or lamb
Half a pound of ground crayfish
Maggi cube
1 large onion (chopped)
2 fresh tomatoes(chopped)
2 lb of cooked peanuts (blend) or egusi when using spinach
2 tbps of vegetable oil
1 tbps of fresh ginger (blend)
1 tbps of fresh garlic (blend)
1 tbps of mixed dried herbs
salt to taste
pepper to taste (in kuma kazuba dayawa ya rage naka)

PREPARATION

If using dried bitter leaf, soak and leave in water overnight (saboda dacin ya ragu sosai) Boil bitterleaf
for 20 minutes.Wash and squeeze out excess water.(Not necessary if spinach is used).
If fresh bitterleaf is used chop it.Then boil for 10 minutes. Wash thoroughly with cold
water and then squeeze excess moisture. Season beef or oxtail with ginger, onion, garlic, papper, salt,
dried herbs and beef cube, then cook until tender.
Boil the peanuts for 10 minutes. Then remove the skin and blend the peanuts with one cup of water.
Heat the oil in a large sauce pan, add the chopped onion and tomatoes. stir and cook for 10
minutes.Add the blended peanuts and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Add the beef or oxtail,
fish,ginger,garlic and bitterleaf,salt,beef cube,crayfish. Add some of the stock
from the cooked beef, cover and cook for a further 20 minutes.
And then serve with any type of tuwo, teba etc.

GGNK, when you are done, let me know the result.

"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

HUSNAA

Quote from: gogannaka on February 20, 2007, 05:32:36 PM
An ji kunya amma.
To dan barno mai shiga kitchen,sai ka shiga ka zakulo wannan recipe book din naka.
Amma fa ban da mugunta da'allah.kawai miyar shuwaka nake so na koya.

Quote from: gogannaka on February 20, 2007, 05:32:36 PM
An ji kunya amma.
Amma fa ban da mugunta da Allah.kawai miyar shuwaka nake so na koya.
Lol Kayi gajen hakuri GGNK. Eventually some female cook would have answered u. Anyway Dan Borno has done the honors. However, as there is more than one way of cooking something, a slightly different alternative gives u more to choose from.
Me  I like both fresh or dried shuwaka. To get rid of the bitterness, u can soak fresh shuwaka in brine (heavily/very salted water). Leave overnight to soak. The leaves should be quite soft and manageable for squeezing and rubbing out xs bitterness. Wash the leaves thoroughly by rubbing them against each other (rather like washing cloth) and squeezing the frothy juices out of the leaves. I usually taste the leaves now and then to gauge the level of bitterness. I like them slightly bitter to the taste or as an after taste. Eventually one can get rid of all the bitterness this way. U can then either use the leaves like that in a soup or u can dry them out and use them later. NO NEED TO PARBOIL WHEN COOKING THEM LIKE DAN BORNO SUGGESTS IF U WASH THEM LIKE THIS INITIALLY.
I like miyar shuwaka with manja most of the time. I hardly ever cook it with man gyada. So for me palm oil is a necessity.
Ingredients kuwa
Palm oil,
Beef or mutton
Dried fish
cray fish for seasoning
salt
maggi
egusi
some water.
tomatoes (not too much), onions and attarughu (blended together).

Clean dried fish thoroughly in hot or boiling water. Preferably soak for an hour to drown out all the little critters lurking in the fish. Then keep decanting with fresh water to get rid of all the dead and the debris that will float to the surface of the water.
Heat manja till hot and smoky, add meat and dried fish and stir for a minute or so. Add in the blended tomatoe onions and attarughu  and some salt into the meat and fish. Cover and let all cook up till the water is absorbed and the meat is slightly tender. At this point add a little water, the maggi and crayfish together with the egusi. The amount of water u add depends on how thick or runny u like yr stew. Cook the egusi for about 5 to ten minutes. Add the shuwaka leaves and cook for a further 5 minutes or so. Taste for seasoning.
PS I don't like meat to be too tender. I prefer it chewy when I bite into it, so I don't cook it for a long time in any stew.

Another way to eat shuwaka.
5 eggs
1 medium sized onion
Salt to taste
Half a tomato or one whole tomato
Quarter cup of milk, fresh or evaporated
Vegetable oil (ground nut, corn or olive oil will all do).
Thyme
Black pepper
Shuwaka washed and dried ( a small quantity)

Break the eggs into  a bowl together with the milk, some chopped onions thyme black pepper.
Heat up oil about half a cup will do. Fry some onions and tomatoes in the oil for about three mins or as u like then pour the beaten eggs into the oil and stir. Add salt  and the shuwaka and stir to make sure that the whole doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan if u are using non stick pans. Add a little more oil to unstick. If u are using groundnut oil, make sure that it is already fried up to get rid of the nutty taste. When the whole is cooked into creamy scrambled eggs, remove and serve with rice. 

Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

MySeLf

Hhm! Yummy!!...... Gaskiya kun sani kwadayin miyan shuwaka  :(
!!!........................I STAND 4 ISLAM..........................!!!