News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Water, Power in Kano

Started by bakangizo, October 18, 2007, 09:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gogannaka

Indeed,it is quite rare to hear rimi praising Shekarau.

The money quoted (N500 billion) is not some small money but if the project could be designed in phases it is can be realised.

My mistake,the intra city lines do not exist in Kano.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

bakangizo

Quote from: gogannaka on November 14, 2008, 09:13:08 PM
The money quoted (N500 billion) is not some small money but if the project could be designed in phases it is can be realised.

Yeah. But they should have thought about the funding before. Look, even Lagos, which is manytimes richer than Kano is not finding it easy with thier proposed Lekki Megacity plan. So my take is, depending on the Federal government to part-fund issues like these, especially when it is not a co-initiator of the project, is risky.

gogannaka

True, especially right now there are rumours in town that Yar'adua dislikes Kano that is why he refused to come and commmission the water works,senate retreat and also his refusal to accompany the German presdent to the state.

Mu ciyo bashi kenan ko yaya?

bakangizo

Bashi? Wai! Ai gara a fasa aikin mega din ;D I have been asking myself why the president still has not come to commision the projects. It may not be anything, but still...

Dave_McEwan_Hill

maigemu

gogannaka

KANO state Independent Power Project (IPP) is billed to commence with immediate effect.
Signing the contract for the commencement of the project yesterday, the state commissioner of works, housing and transport, Engr. Sarki Labaran said, the project would gulp $154 million.
When completed in the next 18 months as agreed, the project will provide Kano community with 126 megawatts of electricity.
Already, a site for the project has been allocated at Gaida in Kumbotso Local Government Area which is close to the famous Sharada-Challawa Industrial Estate.
With this development, therefore, the project is expected to solve the incessant power shortage affecting both residential and industrial areas, with a view to reviving the ailing economy of the state.
Awarded to China Machinery Equipment Import-Export (CMEIC), a Chinese firm, the commissioner expressed confidence in the company, believing that they are capable of finishing the project as scheduled.
He enjoined them to feel at home and ensure the execution of a project that would stand the test of time.
In his remark, Chief Executive Officer, Damba Energy, Alhaji Sa'adina Dantata said the firm would complete the project according to agreement, stressing that CMEIC firm is not the first of its kind in the execution of this type of project, as it had done it in various states in the country.

From triumph newspapers.
24-07-09

HUSNAA

Hmm......
talk talk talk. I seem to remember yr discussion in the preceding page. Seems its all hot air. Nothing is actually happening. At any rate at this junction in time, the state govt should be talking about solar generated electricity rather than water generated electricity since we seem to have plenty of one and very little of the other.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

bakangizo

Quote from: gogannaka on July 24, 2009, 05:05:50 PM
KANO state Independent Power Project (IPP) is billed to commence with immediate effect.
Signing the contract for the commencement of the project yesterday, the state commissioner of works, housing and transport, Engr. Sarki Labaran said, the project would gulp $154 million.
When completed in the next 18 months as agreed, the project will provide Kano community with 126 megawatts of electricity.
Already, a site for the project has been allocated at Gaida in Kumbotso Local Government Area which is close to the famous Sharada-Challawa Industrial Estate.
With this development, therefore, the project is expected to solve the incessant power shortage affecting both residential and industrial areas, with a view to reviving the ailing economy of the state.
Awarded to China Machinery Equipment Import-Export (CMEIC), a Chinese firm, the commissioner expressed confidence in the company, believing that they are capable of finishing the project as scheduled.
He enjoined them to feel at home and ensure the execution of a project that would stand the test of time.
In his remark, Chief Executive Officer, Damba Energy, Alhaji Sa'adina Dantata said the firm would complete the project according to agreement, stressing that CMEIC firm is not the first of its kind in the execution of this type of project, as it had done it in various states in the country.

From triumph newspapers.
24-07-09

Good to hear. The govt was initially waiting for the Federal Govt's planned Gas Pipeline project, which was billed to be laid from the South, through Kano and terminating at Katsina. The idea was to built an independent Thermal
Power Plant, using the Pipeline as the source. They had already entered into a pre-contract agreement with the then contractors. However, the project was yet to take off, as the Fed. Govt was foot-dragging on the issue. It might take years to finish. So this might be the Plan 'B'. Allah dai ya taimakemu ayi a gama lafiya. The state really really needs it.

gogannaka

Amin,
Can you believe that the national assembly actually removed the gas pipeline project from the budget. I learnt that was part of the reason why the president didn't sign the budget on time.
They removed the N11 billion (i'm not sure but i think this was the sum) meant for the project and increased their own allocation by almost the same amount.I still don't even know if the project is in the budget.
Wai isn't there gas a libya ne? The federal government should start considering the option of getting gas from libya since the Niger Delta is getting somewhat impossible to manage.

What is the Kano state IPP going to use for its generation? Black oil or diesel?
Allah ya tabbatar dai.

bakangizo

I'm not really sure whether it is going to be a thermal power plant (in which case diesel), or hydro power plant. Most likely the former. But I will ask around. Incidentally, I heard something on network news (which I just stumbled on as I hardly ever listen to it) on the Gas Pipeline project. And Libya was mentioned, but I didn't get the full gist as I only caught the tail-end of the story. On this issue, I just remembered that the Federal Govt last month awarded a contract for the building of Wind Energy Power plant in Katsina. I think the capacity is for 10 megawatts or so.

gogannaka

Husnaa, solar energy is not economical for now.
It costs way too much and produces so little output. There is no way solar can give you up to 10 megawatts. That is 10 million watts,approximately 250,000 light bulbs(40 watts).

Sometimes these things are not talk fa,like the economic city is currently going on. At a rate faster than you can imagine.
The previous MOU was signed with the hope that the FG will lay the pipeline. Perhaps that is why it hasn't been acheived yet.

We will get there inshaallah.

The wind energy farm in katsina will generate 10MW,true.