News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

MAN UTD OFFICIAL NEWS>

Started by kariballa, October 05, 2003, 11:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kariballa

Hi,this is for u UNITED fans u can read all UNITED news here!
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

BARTHEZ IN FERGIE BUST-UP
Sunday 5th October 2003

Fabien Barthez could still be in line for a move to Paris Saint Germain as French team-mate Robert Pires believes he has had a massive fallout with Sir Alex Ferguson.
The French shot-stopper has been frozen out of things by Ferguson this season and has had to watch American keeper Tim Howard take his position as number one.

The feeling now is that Barthez is heading out of Old Trafford with PSG touted as a possible destination.

With Barthez not even making the bench despite travelling to the recent Champions League defeat at Stuttgart, Arsenal star Robert Pires believes there has been a big bust-up behind the scenes.

"There must have been an argument between Fabien and Ferguson," Pires told the News of the World.

"For Ferguson to subject him to travelling for nothing would be a humiliation after all Fabien has done for United.

"It's a trick situation and, knowing Fabien he will have done some straight talking.

"They must have had an argument."
PSG coach Vahid Halilhodzic had said that Barthez was not in his plans for now but Parce des Princes chairman Francis Graille insists that Barthez had come to them in search of a return to France.

Graille says that Barthez is unhappy in Manchester and wants to move to the French capital.

"There were contacts made which were at the player's request, yes," said Graille.

"But we're going to need many favourable circumstances for it to come off.

"Finding an agreement seems to be rather difficult and we're not there yet."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

FERNANDEZ DENIES UNITED TALK
Monday 6th October 2003

Luis Fernandez has denied reports that he is set to become Sir Alex Ferguson's number two at Manchester United.
The former Paris Saint Germain coach had been linked with the post vacated by Carlos Queiroz's departure to Real Madrid.

Fernandez says that he is honoured to be linked with the job at Old Trafford but has not heard anything about being offered the job.

"This would be a big honour for me, but I do not know anything of it," said Fernandez.

Fernandez has been linked with the national team job in Morocco but they have recently played down those reports and he is still searching for a way back into football.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

BARTHEZ DROPS LOAN MOVE HINT
Monday 6th October 2003

By Patrick Haond
Fabien Barthez has hinted he would consider a loan move back to France but remains hell-bent on fighting for his Manchester United future.

The Red Devils goalkeeper's position at Old Trafford is increasingly in jeopardy and speculation regarding his future has intensified during the past week.

Paris Saint Germain are purported to be ready to offer Barthez an escape route from Old Trafford during the January transfer window by handing the former Monaco man a loan move back to Le Championnat.

Barthez is currently third choice in Sir Alex Ferguson's plans with the Premiership champions and has no immediate prospects of a first team comeback.

But Barthez has no plans to throw in the towel at United and admits he would be reticent about quitting the club.

The 32-year-old, though, remains unsure what the future holds and has not ruled out the prospect of an exit in the New Year.

"My departure from Manchester United is not up for discussion," Barthez told French television programme, Telefoot. "I really don't know about a loan.

"As I am playing for one of the greatest clubs in Europe, a lot of things can happen.

"In football, at my age, things can happen very quickly. Anything is possible.

"For the moment, I am living from day to day."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

BARTHEZ: I'VE NOT SPOKEN TO FERGIE
Thursday 4th September 2003

Fabien Barthez said he has had no explanation from Sir Alex Ferguson for his omission from the Manchester United side so far this season.

The World Cup winner has yet to play this year with the United boss opting for new signing Tim Howard in goal and Northern Ireland international Roy Carroll on the bench.

But Barthez, currently on international duty with France, said he does not have a problem with the United boss, who paid ?7.8 million for him in 2001.

"For me, there are no problems with my club," Barthez said. "I have had no explanation from Ferguson, we haven`t spoken about anything and I don`t feel I need to have any conversation with him.

"People say that we don`t get on well but that is absolutely wrong. We get on very well."

But though the former Monaco keeper said he wants to play first-team football, he said is not frustrated at his spell on the sidelines.

"I am 32, I still want to play football, but that is the way it is. My current situation is that I play for a great club, I respect my coach 200 percent, he trusted me and protected me. What do you want me to do? To shout? I actually don`t feel any injustice or frustration.

"I don`t have to ask him why I am sidelined. If I don`t play it is because he has his own reasons.  He makes his decisions. I have nothing to say, he is the boss.

"I am on excellent terms with him and the rest of the staff at United. You know, in a football player`s career there are ups and downs. Not playing is not a catastrophe for me. A catastrophe would be to have health problems or a broken leg."  
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Sol Campbell's disciplinary hearing for his challenge on Eric Djemba-Djemba in the FA Community Shield has been set by the FA today.

Campbell kicked out at the United midfielder in the game at the Millennium Stadium in August. And the Football Association have now confirmed a date for the subsequent hearing.

"The FA today confirmed that Sol Campbell's disciplinary hearing relating to the challenge on Manchester United's Eric Djemba-Djemba will now take place on the afternoon of Wednesday October 8th in London," confirmed the FA's website.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Giggs pleased with Phil and Quinton  

6/10/03 10:04 AM

Ryan Giggs has praised fellow team-mates Phil Neville and Quinton Fortune following their impressive displays for the team this season.

Neville has started every game so far and has made a vital contribution to United’s midfield in the absence of both Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt, while Fortune has looked solid in his new role at left-back and even chipped in with a goal against Panathinaikos last month.

In recent seasons both Neville and Fortune have struggled to command a regular first team place, but following an impressive start to the campaign Giggs believes both players have more than shown their worth to the United squad.

“I have to say Phil Neville and Quinton Fortune in particular have made a huge contribution to the team so far this season,” said Giggs on his personal website at icons.com. “Although they’re both full internationals in their own right, people on the outside might call them fringe players but their value to the side has been anything but fringe.

Giggs: "Phil and Quinton have made a huge contribution to the team."

“Phil has been thrown into the centre of midfield this season because of injuries but he’s made the position his own with some outstanding performances. Sometimes being labelled a versatile player can be a backhanded compliment but Phil has never worried about his flexibility and he looks completely at home in the middle of the park.

“Every good side needs someone in the middle to do the dirty work and give other players a platform and Phil has done this for us superbly. He’s been a real physical presence and it speaks volumes that although we’ve been without Scholesy and Nicky Butt in recent games, our performance levels haven’t dipped.

“Everyone at the club knew about Quinton’s talent but he has stepped up a level this season. Quinton’s been at the club for four years now and he’s shown a lot of patience in terms of his first team opportunities. But he’s never complained and when his chance came this season, he has seized it with both hands.

“Like Phil, he’s a versatile player and over a long, hard season that’s a priceless commodity. He can play at left back, wide left or in central midfield and that’s a selection god send for the manager when he sits down to pick the team. It might still be a few years before he decides what his best position is but he’s young and there’s plenty of time for him to decide that.”

Report by Gemma Thompson. MANUTD.COM
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

UNITED TROUBLED BY RIO DECISION
Tuesday 7th October 2003

Manchester United admit they are 'deeply troubled' by The Football Association's handling of Rio Ferdinand's exclusion from the England squad for the decisive Euro 2004 qualifier against Turkey.
Ferdinand has been omitted from the party for the powder-keg encounter in Istanbul after failing to attend a mandatory drugs test.

The centre half claims he forgot about the matter and subsequently passed another drugs test 48 hours later.

He has been requested to attend an FA hearing on Monday October 13 to explain the incident but has not been charged and, according to his club, should still be available for selection for the England team.

United chief executive David Gill insists The FA's decision to overlook Ferdinand is 'wrong' and is at odds with the organisation's usual policy regarding drug-related cases.

"The club is deeply troubled by The FA's handling of the situation and believes it is at variance with The FA's approach to all other drug-related cases," Gill told United's website.

"We think The FA's decision not to select Rio for England is wrong for the player and wrong for the country.

"As a consequence, we will be vigorously pursuing our concerns about the matter in due course."

A statement released by the club also criticised The FA for making Ferdinand's plight public, particularly as the stopper has not been charged.

"As of today, Rio has still not been charged with an offence and precedent suggests that he should continue to be available to represent England until at least a disciplinary finding has been made against him by The FA," read the statement.

"Manchester United believes The FA's actions have seriously compromised the player's confidentiality. The publicity generated by The FA's actions has put unfair pressure on Rio in what should have remained a strictly confidential matter."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Tuesday 7th October 2003
BSKYB SELL SHARES IN UNITED

BSkyB has sold its remaining holding of shares in Manchester United.
The media giant has sold its 25 million stake at ?2.39 each, swelling its coffers by ?62 million.

Irish racehorse owners JP McManus and John Magnier have been confirmed as the buyers through their Cubic Expression Company, but it has been claimed that no takeover bid for the Premiership champions is in the pipeline.

Rumours of takeovers have surrounded a number of Premiership clubs ever since Russian oil mogul Roman Abramovich took control of Chelsea during the summer.

McManus and Magnier increased their stake in the Old Trafford club earlier in the year, and have now added a further 10%, taking their holdnig to 21%, by buying the BSkyB shares.

A statement from BSkyB to the Stock Exchange read: "British Sky Broadcasting Group plc announces that it has sold the whole of its shareholding in Manchester United PLC.

"The price per share paid of ?2.39 reflects the closing price on 6 October and both the final and special declared dividends.

"Prior to the sale, BSkyB held Manchester United PLC shares. BSkyB will therefore receive gross proceeds of approximately ?62 million
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

SILVESTRE SITS IT OUT
Tuesday 7th October 2003

By Patrick Haond
Manchester United defender Mikael Silvestre will sit out France's Euro 2004 qualifier with Israel because his knee injury requires rest.

The former Internazionale man, who has been playing mainly as a centre back this season, has been troubled by the problem for around a month.

Although still fiercely committed to Les Bleus' cause, Silvestre is concerned with the ligament damage to his left knee.

"It has lasted too long for me not to do anything," he explained. "So I have asked Jacques Santini not to participate in France - Israel.

"I have 15 days to prepare well for the match against Leeds.

"This week, I won't touch the ball at all. I will only have treatment and specific muscle development exercises.

"Three or four years ago, I would never have chosen to overlook a French team meeting. Now, the aim remains Euro 2004, and we have already qualified."

With the Rio Ferdinand furore rocking Old Trafford, Sir Alex Ferguson will be delighted to see Silvestre adopting such a policy.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Rio Ferdinand has released the following statement:

“I am absolutely devastated by this situation and I want to take this opportunity to categorically state that I have never used drugs or condoned the use of drugs in sport or in society. I have been routinely tested like all players throughout my career and the results have always been the same: negative, like the most recent test.

"The biggest disappointment is not being picked for England for a game which is so important not only to myself, but also the team and the England fans. I have worked hard from a young age to get where I am and to be left out of the squad at this crucial stage is devastating. I would like to express my gratitude for all the support I am getting from my family and friends, Sir Alex and everyone else at Manchester United and the PFA.”
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

RANIERI ACCUSES FERGIE
Tuesday 7th October 2003

Claudio Ranieri has claimed Sir Alex Ferguson used the uncertainty at Chelsea to win a new deal at Manchester United.
Ferguson claimed last month that Chelsea had made an approach to bring him to Stamford Bridge during the summer, but that he could never see himself leave Old Trafford.

Ranieri shrugged off the speculation at the time and believes that Ferguson, who is on the verge of agreeing a new four-year deal at United, used the situation to strengthen his hand in talks over extending his stay at Old Trafford.

"Maybe it was true that he was offered my job but I don't know when this happened," Ranieri told Four Four Two magazine.

"It could have been any time in the past. The point is he decided to speak out because he needed to renegotiate his contract. If he says 'Chelsea want me' then maybe this will help."

The Italian coach also rubbished talk that Sven Goran Eriksson was being lined-up to take over from him and revealed that he and the England coach had a laugh about the whole situation.

"I am very good friends with Sven and we laughed together when the story appeared. There is no problem between us," added Ranieri.

"Sven calls me up to talk about Joe Cole, John Terry, Frank Lampard and Wayne Bridge as any England manager would do.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

United legend Mr Lou Macari made more than 400 appearances for the Reds between 1972 and 1984, scoring 95 goals. With these credentials, he's perfect for the role of ManUtd.com's columnist, The Player...

Rio Ferdinand

I find it strange that the FA's drug-testing team allowed Rio Ferdinand to go home straight after training. Surely, if you drop into a club without giving them prior notice, you should make sure you get hold of the two or three players you’ve picked at random for the test? OK, so you can blame Rio for forgetting to attend the test but the FA should have been on their toes more than they were. If I was carrying out the test, there's no way I would have let the players escape.  

Also, I have to wonder why the testers didn't call Rio when they realised he'd gone? They could have asked him to come back to the training ground or they could even have gone round to his house.

The other big question for me is why did this take two weeks to come out? Rio Ferdinand has played three games since missing the test on 23 September. You would have thought something as important as missing a drugs test would have been dealt with immediately. Rio could have been asked to explain his absence the following day.

I don’t see why Rio shouldn’t be picked in the England squad and have the opportunity to play on Saturday. I don’t understand why the FA didn’t have a meeting with Rio yesterday, get his side of the story and then issue the punishment. But now they’ve done something without passing any judgement.

Unfortunately for Rio, when you read the story in the papers, the names of players such as Mark Bosnich, Paul Merson and Lee Bowyer will wrongly appear next to Rio’s name. Those players have actually been found to have taken drugs. We’re not in that situation with Rio, that hasn't been proved.

Overall, I don’t think the FA have carried out their duty the way they should have done.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

FERGUSON: RIO MADE A MISTAKE
Sunday 12th October 2003

Sir Alex Ferguson concedes Rio Ferdinand erred in skipping his drugs test but insists the Manchester United defender's blunder was an innocent mistake.
Ferdinand's failure to take a drugs test when requested has whipped up a tidal wave of controversy in the past week and prompted The Football Association to exclude the centre half from the England squad.

The decision by English football's governing body led to a stormy stand-off with the players before an uneasy truce was called to enable the crucial Euro 2004 qualifier against Turkey to go ahead.

United stopper Ferdinand must now explain his actions at an FA interview on Monday but could face either a lengthy ban or hefty fine for missing the random drugs test.

His club manager Ferguson admits his record signing should not have forgotten to take the test on time but is adamant there was nothing sinister behind the incident.

"Look, Rio made a mistake in not having his test when he should have done," Ferguson told the Daily Star Sunday.

"But it was an innocent error, he just forgot."

Ferguson also backed under-fire Gary Neville, who has been chastised in some quarters for reportedly leading his England colleagues to the brink of strike.

Neville was acting as United's PFA representative in the matter and Ferguson believes the full back's actions were a healthy demonstration of the collective spirit within the Old Trafford camp.

"You really do have to admire my players for the way they have stuck together over all of this," added Ferguson.

"What you can say and is very clear indeed is that it reflects the tremendous team spirit we have within the dressing room at Manchester United.

"Gary Neville has been criticised but he was only performing his role as the PFA rep for this club and it is ludicrous to suggest he is a militant or anything like that.

"Maybe the England players would have been criticised just as much if they had done nothing at all and merely left Rio hanging out to dry."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.