News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Hausa Films

Started by Anonymous, March 01, 2002, 08:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amira

to ni i have jus been readin nearly everybodies post on this matter, hausa films are sumtimes shirme, they conclude some irrelevnt stuff, but they also hav some films that are meaningful to watch, as i always say there are advantages and disadvantages :)
*Each day is definately defining me and finding me*

*~MuDa~*

Wats ze foint op singing in our Hausa mobies? Can anybody answer zat?
...He begot not, nor is He begotten!
www.articlesdir.co.cc

neozizo

The basis for the singing can only be explained by our obsession to copy from Indian movies.

bakangizo

While criticism of the Hausa film industry is good, healthy and, even welcome, pls when criticising bear in mind that these film producers are first and foremost, businessmen. They sink large sums of money in these projects. It then follows logically that, like everyone, what should/would be uppermost in their minds would be returns on their investments. Hence these songs and other "additives" that ppl are so eager to term "un-hausalike". These are what sell the films. Remove them, and youAs I have stated in my earlier posts on this issue, a large chunk of their clientele favors the films as they are. Film production is not a charity activity. It is biz. It is money. Same as when me and you can wear our english/american/arab wears; speak Hausa interlaced with english etc etc. All those habits that are not "al'adun bahaushe". So it is not fair, in my estimation, to try to force those producers to conform to "al'adar hausa", with their money. Am all for decent, nice, complete Hausa films, and I believe film makers have social responsibilities (just like everyone). Question is, who would put his/her money for the purpose of promoting Hausa culture? Ai sai gwammnati. :lol: Truth is I don't think they deserve the castigation they receive from us. And I still affirm that some of the films are quite good.

neozizo

Abeg sheath your sword Bakan~Gizo :D
First of all, nobody is criticing hausa films,at least  going by the last 2 post prior to urs.
Muda just wanted to know if any1 had an idea of the originality of songs in HFs.
And I posted my own opinion (which might b wrong),u might posted ur own opinion of what the origin of songs in HFs r(and I am very interesred in yours).
But since u brought up the issue of commerce to be a major driving force or decider of content in our films, id like to point out 2 things
Firstly, you should know that since the inception of he industry, 99.9% of movies produced have been ?musicals?, and naturally for lack of variety or choice 100% of viewers will seem to love the only what is available, u cant really say that film producers provided viewers with alternative type and concluded that songs sell films.
Nollywood is said to b th 3rd largest industry in the world and I am sure u know they have more varity of movies including musicals,and the theory of songs being the marketing does not hold. An irony is that Yoruba and Igbo people have more song and dance content, amongst both genders, in their ancient and modern cultures than Hausa/Fulani people.
Secondly, it is laudable that these films provide a means for job and wealth creation especially when this is much needed in our society, and I am delighted that you advocate decency and  ?social responsibilities?. So while the industry practitioners are business people and profit minded, I would like to call on them as well as their customers to balance morality and decorum against fame and material reward.
For the record, I don?t doubt, Bakan~Gizo, that there are some very good HF available.

amira

sorry i know dis aint a hausa film, but i must say its soooooooo funny it cracks me up........any of you's watched OSUOFIA in LONDON???if y'all aint watched it i recommed u 2 d man is crazy :lol:

bakangizo

Quote from: "zizo"Abeg sheath your sword Bakan~Gizo :D...
Sorry if I came on too strong. :wink:  I didn't mean to sound like that.

Muda just wanted to know if any1 had an idea of the originality of songs in HFs.
Most probably due to the influence of Indian films. Remember Hausaland was one of the largest markets for Indian films in the world. Well, at least that's the easiest, or most obvious source one can find. However, some ppl would have you believe that songs are part of hausa life. In fact one of the earliest hausa films, Daskin Daridi, was an adaptation of one of those Hausa folklores told to us by our parents in those days, complete with the songs.

An irony is that Yoruba and Igbo people have more song and dance content, amongst both genders, in their ancient and modern cultures than Hausa/Fulani people.
I'm not sure about that, zizo. :wink:  I believe songs are very much a part of hausa culture, musamman a da. Ka tuna ko tatsuniya  ake mana muna yara, sai da wakoki.  Kuma tatsuniyar ko da ta soyayya ce ko jaruntaka, ko ta gizo da koki. :lol:  Sannan wassannin 'yan mata da samari na dandali da ake yi da dare cike yake da wake-wake. Kai hatta mata a gida in suna daka ko nikan hatsi, zaka tarar suna 'yan wakokin su na musamman don irin wadannan aikace-aikace, suna nishadi. Haka in za'a kai amarya, ko aikin gayya a gona, ko tashe da azumi da sauransu da yawa.  :lol:  :D

amira:
I personally believed "Usofia in London" to be one of those overdone comedies. TBH though I only watched about 20mins of the film. Nkem is a very good comedian/actor and has a number of excellent films, but this one I do not enjoy.

amira

aite back to hausa from ma step to ousofia, sum months ago i watched a hausa movie that i liked it was real gud it was called madadi, any1 watched it??????????

bakangizo

Yes, Madadi was good. It has a part 2, in case you don't know or haven't watched it. :wink:

amira

yep i've watched part one and two, i think i will have to say that i really luvd dat film i'll give it a 10/10 and plus the main actor ibrahim is also a good actor, luv his acting.

bakangizo

Yeah, Ibrahim is a good actor. Not the most popular but certainly knows his onions. What most ppl like about him is his gentleman way of acting. Ba rawar kai da giggiwa :lol:

amira

his style is simple and he seems like a down to earth guy, you dont see him dancing in movies like the others.wat i have to say bout theses films is that they should remove dis indianism as i call it in ther films do it the hausa way, you dont catch ppl honestly hiding in bushes and run around and singing songs thats only for indians wat du you think???

bakangizo

You are right about the songs. That would be nice. But am afraid it would take a while b4 we stop seeing those songs. If you don't like them, one way of doing it is to fast-forward the songs and just watch the film :wink:  That hardly solves the prob though. I know of ppl who hated those songs but eventually got hooked on them. Now they can't even watch a film if it doesn't have a nice song(s).

Let me also add that I believe even the Indians can not claim that the singing/dancing in their films are part of their real life. I mean you don't see ppl doing that on the streets there, right? :oops:  Remember those American musical films of yesteryears; Sound of Music, The King and I, Summer Holiday, Alabama etc etc.. They've all been phased out. It may happen here eventually.

As for Ibrahim, during an interview he was asked why he does not dance. His reply was, firstly he didn't like dancing, and secondly he doesn't even know how to dance :lol:

Fateez

Hehe, was it Madadi part 2 that he found her twin sister?? or some form of

look alike, right? Can't really remember, it's really old (i mean not that old but...) .

Quote from: "Bakan~Gizo"
Let me also add that I believe even the Indians can not claim that the singing/dancing in their films are part of their real life. I mean you don't see ppl doing that on the streets there, right? :oops:  Remember those American musical films of yesteryears; Sound of Music, The King and I, Summer Holiday, Alabama etc etc.. They've all been phased out. It may happen here eventually.

Just to clear this, singing and dancing IS part of their everyday life. and

yes they sing and dance on the streets. Ever heard of street bhangra?

Those Punjabi people really know how to have a good time. Walk on the

streets of Amritsar anyday, anytime and i'm sure u'd find people doing

the balle-balle or the Gujuratis practicing for their next Garba. Even

though i don't like the fact that hausa films are copying it, i must admit

that from what i have seen, indians have the most interesting culture in

da world. So lookin at it from a marketing point of view, maybe it was a

strategic business move for the hausa film industry to adapt some of it in

order to survive.

Musicals still exist in Hollywood, they've just evolved. Now it's no more a

general musical film but different genres. there's like Dancing musicals (U

got served, Honey, Step up, Save da last dance, take the lead. etc)

there's the childrens musicals (Disney - Pixar & Dreamworks SKG

animations, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory) and of course the

singing Musicals (Raise your voice, High School Musical, Walk the line,

Fighting temptations, American Dreams and Ella Enchanted) and all these

movies were produced within the past 3 - 4 years or so. So maybe if we

are following a hollywood timeline, singing and dancing in hausa movies

are here to stay. Meaning our video heads would have really short life

cycles and the fast forward button on our remote is going to fade away

and eventually friction would shave the rubber button off. - If the quality

doesnt improve, that is. I wish 'em da best tho... :!:
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain

Fateez

I watch tonnes of movies from around the globe, and i must admit,

when it comes to richness of culture and tradition and even quality of

production, i must give it to the indians (both Bollywood and Tamil films),

followed by the japanese, then the chinese. The french people are good

with comedy and dry humour, The italians curse a lot...an awful lot. The

Australians and NewZealanders have annoying accents (tho not as

annoying as the american), The Brits have the best accent but
sometimes,

bad movie directing and plot. The south African movies are usually very

good but really depressing. When it comes to excessive vanity,

unecessary drama and much-ado-about-nothings, It's da japanese

movies and even anime. I'm about to go into Brazilian and argentinian

miniseries. I heard they are great. But in the end, even though it's a fairly

new industry, they dn't have very much resources, they are not receiving

maximum support and their equipment and gaphics are not exactly

cutting edge, i still prefer a good nollywood or hausa film anyday

anytime. I know inshaAllah they would be great one day. i mean if you

compare "Ki yarda da ni" with something like Gara or even Sansani, Da

difference is clear that within as little as 8-ish years so much has

changed, so imagine how good they could be in da future. There's so

much potential...

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."    ~ Mark Twain