News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

MAN UTD OFFICIAL NEWS>

Started by kariballa, October 05, 2003, 11:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kariballa

Rangers     0-1  Man United

Stuttgart     2-0  Panathinaikos

Marseille      2-3   FC Porto

Real Madrid   1-0  Partizan Belgrade

Chelsea        2-1  Lazio

Milan            0-1  Club Brugge

Ajax             1-0  Celta Vigo

Sparta Prague     2-1  Besiktas
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

A very useful win there! A professional, controlled performanced highlighted by the nights work of three key men, Keane, Neville and Howard. Keane controlled the game, quite simply, his breaking up of the Rangers attacks and his awareness and reading of the game was unrivaled. Howard kept us infront throughout the match after the blistering 10 minutes at the start of the second half where we should have sealed the game. Giggs tonight was electrifying at times, and frustrating at times, usually simple passes that went astray. Phil Neville was fantastic tonight, played a similar role to Keane and linked up surprisingly well with Gary up the right! But Howard would get my Man of the Match for a flawless performance! That 10 minutes after halftime was the best we've played this season, lets see it against Fulham!"
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Marseille coach Alain Perrin has stated that Croatian goalkeeper Vedran Runje still has a future at the club, despite the imminent arrival of Fabien Barthez.
The Manchester United star is set to move on loan to The Stade Velodrome until the end of the season and now only Fifa approval stands in his way of transferring back to France.

Current number one Runje is subsequently being linked with a move away from the club, but Perrin says that Barthez will not automatically walk into the side.

"Fabien Barthez is a World Champion but you can't play with just a CV," said Perrin.

"You have to show your qualities on the pitch. There is no guarantee given to Barthez.

"The players win or lose their places based on their performances and we are very happy with the Vedran Runje's performances."

Meanwhile, the French football authorities have confirmed that Fifa need to give final approval on the loan.

"The judicial committee does not have the power to validate Fabien Barthez's contract because this is an international transfer and Fifa's go-ahead is missing," said a statement.

"Thus we have suggested Marseille start the procedure with FIFA.

"Of course Marseille have the right to recruit a new keeper following Cedric Carasso's long-term injury but as far as Barthez's contract validation is concerned, we have to respect the international rules
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

yayo

kariballa

Speculation is mounting about a possible switch of players at Old Trafford and the Stade Velodrome.
With Fabien Barthez having left Manchester for Marseille, defender Daniel van Buyten has been speaking about his desire to move to the north of England.

"I certainly think my physique and style of play is well suited for English football," the six foot five inches tall player told The Sun newspaper.

"In England, you need strong defenders to take on the strikers, and I can do that."

Van Buyten said he would be speaking to Barthez about life at Old Trafford, having also been advised to come to the Premiership by his friend Lamine Sakho, currently on loan at Leeds United.

"I would like to play alongside Rio Ferdinand," Van Buyten said.

"At the moment, I feel able to play alongside him - and to be at such a club like United would be great for me."

According to reports though, Sir Alex Ferguson is said to be ready to offer ?10 million for the Belgium international to replace Ferdinand in case he is handed a lengthy suspension by the FA.

25 year old Van Buyten first started courting interest from Premiership clubs this summer, when he declared that both Newcastle and Manchester United were tracking him.

And the Belgian international has let it be known that he would be more than happy to leave Marseille for one of the European giants, seeing the French side's current Champions League campaign as his shop window.

"I am enjoying playing in the Champions League with Marseille and I am very happy that a big club like United is watching me," he said.

"It means I am getting recognition for my hard work and I am going in the right direction with Marseille.

" want to do as well as I can for Marseille - and go as far as we can in the Champions League.

"But next season I want to be part of one of the biggest clubs in the world."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Speculation is continuing to mount that Manchester United will be subject to a takeover as shareholder Malcolm Glazer again increased his stake in the club.
The US sports tycoon has increased his share in the club from 8.94 per cent to 9.66 per cent. He recently upped his stake in the Premiership champions from 5.9 per cent.

United have been at the centre of takeover speculation since London rivals Chelsea were bought by Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich.

Glazer, who recently missed out on buying the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team, still owns less of United than Irish racehorse owners John Paul McManus and John Magnier, who have a 23.15 per cent stake.

Another big investor attracting attention is John de Mol; the man behind 'Big Brother' recently increased his stake to 4.1 per cent from 3.5 per cent
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

A rare goal from Phil Neville after just five minutes earned Manchester United a 1-0 win in the battle of the British champions as Rangers lost for the first time in 16 European games at Ibrox.
It was a scrappy way to settle an enthralling contest as the England midfielder scuffed a low shot past Stefan Klos after Ruud van Nistelrooy's surge towards the box was crowded out.

Rangers had plenty of chances to grab an equaliser they would just about have deserved, although in terms of composed football United - as might be expected with their European pedigree - just about shaded it.

For almost half an hour after the shock of that early goal (and its scorer), Rangers dominated possession but probed without creating a clear shooting chance.

When it finally arrived, it was wasted by Paolo Vanoli, who panicked and screwed his shot wide from eight yards out.

Moments later Vanoli again fired wide in a decent position and when Shota Arveladze's dipping drive was well tipped over by Tim Howard, Rangers' period in the ascendancy had been wasted.

An incident at the other end on the stroke of half time showed how dangerous United can be at any stage.

Giggs swung in a corner from the right and Mikael Silvestre arrived late and unmarked. His downward header would surely have been a killer blow, but the ball hit Shota Arveladze on the line and bounced clear.

United began the second half strongly and van Nistelrooy fired wide from a chance he created for himself, then Gary Neville's cross was cut out well by Michael Ball with the Dutchman lurking with his customary intent.

The game suddenly opened up and Rangers began to create chances of their own. Craig Moore's header was cleared off the line by - who else? - Phil Neville and Peter Lovenkrands' header was well held on his line by Howard.

Substitute Fernando Ricksen was only denied by a well-timed intervention by Rio Ferdinand and Nerlinger almost grabbed an equaliser in stoppage time when he combined well with Arteta on the edge of the box but fired his shot too close to Howard, who saved well one-handed.

Rangers may have gone into the contest hoping merely to be competitive and they certainly were that, but they will also be wondering what might have been.

The good news for the Blue half of Glasgow is that they only have 13 days to wait for a second chance to have a go at United. If they play like this at Old Trafford - and have a modicum of the luck which deserted them - they could yet pull off a shock.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United right back Gary Neville insists not even Rangers' fanatical supporters can faze the Premiership champions in their quest for more silverware.
Ibrox gave The Red Devils a reception that will last long in the memory in their UEFA Champions League clash on Wednesday night just days after United faced bitter rivals Leeds United at Elland Road.

Neville was also part of the England side that managed a creditable draw in Istanbul to secure their Euro 2004 qualification against Turkey two weeks ago and the defender says that the Old Trafford players will never be beaten by the crowd, regardless of who they play.

"We would kick ourselves if we ever thought a crowd could beat us," said Neville.

"After Istanbul and Leeds this was probably the hottest and loudest atmosphere of the three. It is certainly the loudest I have experienced in Britain.

"There have been some nights at Old Trafford when the atmosphere has been incredible – but this was right up there.

"When I came out at the start I couldn't believe it. I looked up and saw people in the directors box jumping up and down and singing!

"I was wondering what on earth was happening.

"But we have experienced big atmospheres in this competition before and we can handle it.

"We came up with the perfect reply by scoring so early on."

Neville's sentiments were backed up by fellow stopper John O'Shea as the Irishman urged United fans to give Alex McLeish's men a similar reception of equal decibels when the Glasgow side come to Old Trafford on November 4.

United fans have been accused of keeping their lips sealed when the side need lifting in the past – most notably by captain Roy Keane – and O'Shea says the players were in awe by the noise in Scotland's second city.

"We are used to atmospheres in a hostile environment," he said. "But it was still obvious the crowd gave their team an extra lift.

"We were saying in the dressing room we wish we had that every week.

"It just seems to be that Rangers and Celtic have it. It is something to do with being Scottish
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Sao Paulo are set to give Manchester United the chance to push through a deal for their star striker Luis Fabiano next month.
The Brazilian club are due for a meeting in Manchester at the end of next month to discuss their own cooperation agreement.

The two clubs agreed a deal in July which saw United add Sao Paulo into the growing stable of clubs who they have working agreements with.

Within the original deal United secured the signing of youngster Carlos Eduardo Castro Lourenco, who is going to be sent on loan to another one of their partners - Sporting Lisbon.

Sao Paulo are now coming to England next month to continue talks on their relationship, but while in the North West they will try and tempt United into doing a deal for Fabiano.

The Brazilian giants still have debts of around ?15 million, despite the recent sale of Kaka to Milan for ?6 million.

Milan are very keen on the Brazilian international, while Real Betis and Internazionale are also monitoring his situation.

Sao Paulo know, however, that United have also been keeping tabs on the Samba ace and they would see a potential link-up with English champions cemented by another major transfer.

Whether United want Fabiano remains to be seen, they have been checking on his progress and the 23 goals so far in the Brazilian season are sure to have impressed.

Fabiano has tried his hand in Europe before with French club Rennes, that ended without much of an impression been made - but he has since returned to South America and recaptured his form.

A big move back to one of Europe's elite leagues now looks almost inevitable.

"I do not hide the fact that going back to Europe is my objective," he said.

"I want to clean my image up after having played so badly with Rennes."

Luis Fabiano's agent, Jose Fuentes - who will accompany Sao Paulo to Europe, said: " A player like Luis Fabiano will go back to play in Europe sooner or later.

"He could be there within a month or within a year."

Sao Paulo are also in England to broker a number of friendlies, one obviously with United, while Bolton and Tottenham are set to participate in the others.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has warned the rest of the league that his side have still to reach their best, despite enjoying their best ever start to a Premiership campaign.
The reigning champions have made their best start to a season for 10 years after winning seven of their opening nine games and losing just once to lie second in the table behind Arsenal.

Ferguson believes that United will not hit top gear until the second half of the season as they normally do.

"We don't usually (hit top form yet) anyway. What we have done is we have been consistent," said Ferguson.

"What we hope to do is maintain that consistency up to New Year and we always feel we improve in the second half.

"There's no doubt Chelsea and Arsenal have achieved a great consistency themselves.

"We want a consistency up to New Year and I think after New Year we will be in a good position."

Ferguson, meanwhile, believes his touchline ban will not cause any disruption to his team as he begins his two-match spell in the stands against Fulham this weekend.

"I don't think it's a tremendous handicap," added Ferguson. "It's not the best situation but we will have a communication system that will help me get in contact with (coach) Mike Phelan."

Meanwhile, United director of communications Paddy Harverson is set to leave Old Trafford.

The 40-year-old, who has been United's director of communications for the last three years, is set to become the Prince of Wales' new communications secretary.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Sir Alex Ferguson will have to use a telephone link to communicate his messages to the United bench against Fulham on Saturday as the Reds boss begins his two-match touchline ban.

Ferguson must watch from the stands on Saturday against Chris Coleman's men, leaving assistant boss Mick Phelan to pass on the orders.

Ferguson told us in his Friday press conference that he will have contact with the home dug-out.

”It’s not a tremendous handicap," Ferguson said. "It’s not the best situation, but we will have a communication system that will help me to be in contact with Mick Phelan. It will just be a telephone link."

Should the result not go United's way, Ferguson knows where to point the finger. "If we lose, it’s Mick’s fault,” the manager joked
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson accused his players of being 'lethargic' in their shock 3-1 home defeat by Fulham.
The Cottagers were full value for the victory at Old Trafford and Ferguson believes his team may have struggled to adjust after the electric atmosphere of their victory at Rangers.

"We were unrecognisable really," said Ferguson.

"Perhaps the tension and emotion of Wednesday night (in the Champions League against Rangers) played a part.

"We made a terrible start, and Fulham fully deserved to win the match. There was just a lethargy about the team, and it could have been six - our goalkeeper was marvellous."

Ferguson rued his side's inability to capitalise on Diego Forlan's equaliser against the run of play in first-half injury time.

Forlan missed a golden chance to add to his tally early in the second period before Fulham regained control of the match again.

Ferguson told MUTV: "It was an absolutely fantastic position to be in after the first half, and we should have gone on to win it.

"But when you gamble you leave the gate open. These performances don't happen a lot, and we're very seldom as bad as that."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Fulham stunned Manchester United by inflicting a 3-1 defeat on the reigning champions at Old Trafford.

United had been less than impressive throughout and conceded an early goal to Lee Clark, but after Diego Forlan had levelled on the stroke of half time, most thought that the second half would see the home team rally.

However, The Red Devils failed to spark, and Fulham held their shape and frustrated their attacks, until the magnificent Steed Malbranque provided a sucker-punch second and Japanese star Junichi Inamoto stole in for a late third to the disgust of the United fans.

French star Malbranque, who created the other two, benefited from a touch back by Louis Saha to toe poke a shot past Tim Howard and into the back of the net to put his side in the driving seat.

Inamoto then added insult to injury with the third, slamming home superbly after yet more good work from Malbranque.

Fulham had dominated the first half and deservedly gone ahead courtesy of Clark, but Sir Alex Ferguson's china was saved on the stroke of half time when Diego Forlan levelled.

It was hard luck on Fulham who had grown in confidence following Clark's goal, the former Newcastle man slotting home from close range after Malbranque had stolen the ball from Mickael Silvestre.

The Londoners were then unlucky not to double their advantage, United keeper Tim Howard relieved to see Mark Pembridge's effort from the edge of the area cannon off of the crossbar and away to safety.

An uncharacteristic miss from the out-of-sorts Ruud van Nistelrooy, following a mis-hit effort from Forlan gave Fulham extra belief, and Saha saw a shot well saved and a header flash just wide.

But United showed signs of getting back into the game, and after Ryan Giggs had flashed a shot just wide, it was Forlan who grabbed an equaliser moments before the break - racing onto a Nicky Butt through ball to lash home with untypical aplomb.

After Fulham's second half flurry, a late rally saw Edwin van der Saar produce a fine save but, Chris Coleman's men were well worth their win, and those that predicted a speedy drop into Division One may now be re-evaluating.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Sir Alex Ferguson has issued a warning that Manchester United's Ruud van Nistelrooy could be about to unleash a volcano of goals on the rest of the Barclaycard Premiership.
"I think you could say Ruud is ready to erupt," Ferguson said in response to questions over van Nistelrooy's indifferent form of late.

The Dutch striker has uncharacteristically failed to make the score-sheet in United's last two outings, against Rangers and Leeds, despite a host of chances that have fallen his way.

"The thing is, he misses chances but it simply doesn't affect him," reckoned Ferguson.

Compounding the situation is van Nistelrooy's dispute with Dutch team manager, Dick Advocaat.

The problems between coach and player have worsened to such an extent that Advocaat has gone on record to say he will pick Barcelona's Patrick Kluivert ahead of van Nistelrooy.

However, Ferguson has said that whilst van Nistelrooy, who has scored 88 goals in just over two seasons with United, is disappointed, he is not overly-concerned for him.

"I think Ruud was half-expecting that and, yes, possibly the whole business has affected him. But I have no worries about Ruud," insisted Ferguson.

Ahead of today's meeting with Fulham, Ferguson has said that there are no such worries regarding his defence. United have conceded just five goals so far this season, another ominous sign to the rest of the Premiership.

"It shows the value of a settled defence," Ferguson gloated.

"Keeper Tim Howard has inspired everyone and we have had the centre-backs forming a settled partnership and Gary Neville playing most of the matches."

"I'm not surprised that we've made our best start in ten years. But I am surprised that we're not clear of everyone. We're still a point behind Arsenal!"
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

French goalkeeper Sebastien Frey has revealed that Manchester United are still interested in him, while Chelsea are also believed to be in the hunt for his signature.
The 23-year-old Parma star is one of the most highly-rated young goalkeepers in Europe and United were very strongly linked with him during the summer.

The Red Devils moved for American international Tim Howard instead, but Frey claims that this has not stopped United maintaining their interest in him.

Frey also admits that Fabien Barthez's imminent move to Marseille has changed his thinking on a possible move to the English champions.

Chelsea, who have been linked with a move for Juventus' Gianluigi Buffon in the past month, are also said to have joined the hunt - while German giants Bayern Munich have a long-standing interest.

"Manchester contacted me this summer," confirmed Frey.

"But I did not want to go there because of the presence of Fabien.

"It was not a good time to go there, the competition between us would not have been easy. But now if Fabien goes to Marseille, it could change."

Reports in France claim that United are not too happy with new signing Howard and could yet mount a new bid for Frey.

"I know that Manchester is still interested in me, like Chelsea and Bayern Munich," explained Frey.

"I know it because the board of Parma have told me that they still have contacts with these clubs.

"It's an honour for me. That means that I'm an important player in Europe.

"I don't know if I will leave Parma in this winter's transfer market. I would prefer next June except if Parma ask me to leave in January to solve their financial problems."

Frey admitted that he still had hopes of making France's Euro 2004 squad, although it looks unlikely that he will break into Jacques Santini's party.

"I am not considered in France and I have had no explanations for this," he said.

"I have received a pre-call up for each game, but that is all.

"I have had no contact with the French (Football) Federation or Jacques Santini.

"I still have hopes for Euro 2004, but it will be difficult."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.