News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Stabilizer and UPS rating for PCs...

Started by sdanyaro, January 03, 2006, 11:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdanyaro

Assalamu alaikum;

Just asking for adequate and proper single Stabilizer and UPS rating (specs) for six (6) Computers all connected together. The six Computers will only need one (1) Power Stabilizer and one UPS.

Thanks,

kitkat

Check the power consumption (wattage) of your six computers and add them up. Youll probably get between 1200 to 1500 watts total depending on the power supply and the processor type. I woould go for a 1.5 to 2 kva UPS. The bigger the ups , the longer the power reserve and in most cases you can even use it as a backup power supply to get some work done if NEPA srikes. Your UPS size will obviously dictate the kind of stabiliser you use since it obviously must have a higher rating than the UPS. Most UPS's actually have a surge protector and tolerate fluctuations as well so you may not even need the stabiliser, but a little overkill never hurt anyone and as you know some power surges around here have to be seen to be believed!!

sdanyaro

Thanks Kitkat,

I think 2 kva UPS and a matching stabilizer would be appropriate for this configuration. Now can you recommend a Brand Name for these items in the light of a lot of fake and substandard merchandise that predominate the Kano markets?

kitkat

For the UPS you cant go wrong with APC or Minuteman if you can lay your hands on them.

For the Stabilisers there is a lot of junk out there. Nulec stabilisers used to be quite good, i think theyre marketed as Qlink now, and then theres supermaster which ive used for airconditioning and so far so good.

gogannaka

I wouldn't advise anyone to buy nulec stabilisers.They are made of these logic chips(i.c) and once it blows it cant be repaired.I would recommmend binatone stabilisers which iare made up of mostly discrete components which could be obtained OTC anytime.

For the power UPS,as kit kat said APC's the best. But 2kvA is no small power.Alternatively,you could get a 2KV 12volts dc to ac inverter.The most popular ones here in kano are starmark.Without NEPA the battery could give power for roughly 2-3 hrs.If you want to extend this you could use 2 batteries in parallel.
Good luck.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

sdanyaro

kitkat & gogannaka
Thank you both for your help regarding this.

Please gogannaka, How can we hook up here in Kano ?cas I am very much interested in the 2KV 12volts dc to ac inverter especially how to extend it use 2 batteries in parallel?

Thanks to you all again.

mlbash

THAT'S WHAT I CALL PROFESSIONAL DIVERSIFICATION! MR. G AND KITTY ARE ALWAYS THERE FOR US, ELECTRONICALLY AND OTHERWISE!
t is my intention to make the neglected aspect of our societies viable