News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Gov.Dariye suspended

Started by gogannaka, May 18, 2004, 04:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gogannaka

The plateau state Governor,Joshua Dariye was suspended for up to six months by the Obasanjo regime.
This is a good development even though it came late.Had the govt done this earlier i am sure there wouldn't be the reprisal attacks that occured in Kano.Anyway it is said that its 'better late than never'.

Does this fulfills Obasanjo's promise that he will bring an end to these killings?
Is this a threat to democracy as the senators suggested when a motion was raised to declare a state of emergency in Plateau state?

Nevertheless the Government deserves commendation.Thumbs up!!
[/size]
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

mallamt

I do not know it does not feel right, it feels like a delibrate attempt to appease one group over the other or worst still to anger one group over the other and foster the violence.  In a situation like this level headness, fair play and justice is what people would expect.  There is no indication of leadership capability in this action.  First the murder of muslims was really a retaliation to the murder of christains.  So why is the retaliation resulting in the murder of christains in kano going unpunished?  There is something not just right

ajingi

Mallamt your name sound wise but you appear to be rude and selfish. What do you want government to justify again after the culprit is now impeached? Retaliation in killing non-Muslims in kano was resulted in delayed by the State and the Federal Government to take proper action in stopping Christian militants killings and dispersing Muslims in Plateau State. And you know our lives began to end the day we become silent about things that matter.  When they were killing innocent Muslims in the state and dispersing them to the neibouring state where were you then? Why you didn?t write to Dariye to take security measures to pacify the matter. While he engaged in celebrating festival in Abuja. How do you measure this, is it an incapability or consistency. He is the back borne of the present situation in the state. Because good leadership should give high hopes, confidence, security and faith not despair, despondency and dejection.

This is the true leadership incapability of your uncle Dariye. When the mayhem started in Kano, Governor Mal. Shekarau came out in public and against the retaliation motives by the people of kano State. Securities were imposed in the state to protect life and property of non-indigines. He evenly visited the people taken refuge in Bauchi environs and provide them with relief materials.

Dariye and his instigators CAN should hand their head in shame and apologise to this nation for inflicting so much wounds on it?s innocent citizen.  

Allah Hafiz
I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.

gogannaka

Mallamt you seem to consider the killing of the 40 christians in plateau state  as the cause for the retaliatory attacks on the muslims in shendam.Please be aware that the killing of the 40 christians was not the first case of the crisis in plateau state,the religious violence could be dated back since 2001.Remember the wase and jos religious violence?

I am sure that the declaration of a state of emergency in Plateau state is not done to appease or anger one group or the other.Anyone that listened to Obasanjo's speech will know that he didn't do what he did to appease or anger one group or the other.Obj said that he did whatever he could in his "personal and official capability" to bring the crisis to and end but all to no avail due to the non-cooperation(not Obj's word) of the former governor.

Coming back to the crisis in kano,i am not sure if mallamt is aware of the letter sent to Mallam Shekarau by Obasanjo(the day he declared the state of emergency) telling him how he miscalculated what could happen if he were to allow the peaceful demonstration to hold.Obasanjo warned Shekarau to be cautious in  dealing with such events in the future.Would you now call Obj's actions incapable of a leader?

Since you are entitled to your own opinion and this is a discussion forum,what (in your opinion ) mallamt,should Obasanjo do to bring an end to this lingering ethno- religious violence?

And please listen to Obasanjo's speech before you make your next comment, maybe you'll veiw things differently.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

mallamt

Well it appears we are coming from different angles.  I must confess that I did not hear what OBJ said about the riots.  It is a pity we appear to want to narrow the Plateau and Kano incident to be the ones or only religious riots that has happened in nigeria that has cost lives from the way we are talking and the action we expect from leadership.

First how many religious riots have taken place since OBJ came to power that have costed lives in nigeria before now?  How many violent religious riots or how many people must die in religious riots before a leader takes action?  This is the point were we start asking our leadership why did they not do anything from day one if they really had the interest of the nation?  Do we have a national security council?  what do they tell the president?  what are the intelligence operatives doing if they are not able to pick signs of impending violent riots?  Or do they know and report them but nothing is done?  If they do not know then why are they not restructed in a manner they will be effective?  Are we saying that we are only aware now that there was a possibility of repraisals in some parts of the country for the Plateau killings?  Is the warning to the KNSG gov not just saying if people are killed again I may take action on you?  What type of leadership sees it as ok for people to get killed before they do anything?

I have no problem with the action taken on dariye (i actually think he should be prosecuted), but what I am saying is that even the actions of the KNSG should be checked those that should be punished should be punished.  A clear message needs to be sent that this type of nonsense would not be acceptable from any person.  Do not trivalise the issue and just make it a plateau thing, if you really want a solution you would look at these occurances and ask your self why did they next one happen, could it have been stopped?  why was it not stopped?  Why are security agents (intelligence) not able to detect these things and stop them even before they happen?  These are some of the questions that must be asked and answering them would tell us what we expect any capable leader to do.  So I still stand by my posting that there is a level of incapability on the part of OBJ, this is all part of the insecurity currently experienced in the country

mrguest

Quote from: "ajingi"Mallamt your name sound wise but you appear to be rude and selfish. What do you want government to justify again after the culprit is now impeached? Retaliation in killing non-Muslims in kano was resulted in delayed by the State and the Federal Government to take proper action in stopping Christian militants killings and dispersing Muslims in Plateau State. And you know our lives began to end the day we become silent about things that matter.  When they were killing innocent Muslims in the state and dispersing them to the neibouring state where were you then? Why you didn?t write to Dariye to take security measures to pacify the matter. While he engaged in celebrating festival in Abuja. How do you measure this, is it an incapability or consistency. He is the back borne of the present situation in the state. Because good leadership should give high hopes, confidence, security and faith not despair, despondency and dejection.

This is the true leadership incapability of your uncle Dariye. When the mayhem started in Kano, Governor Mal. Shekarau came out in public and against the retaliation motives by the people of kano State. Securities were imposed in the state to protect life and property of non-indigines. He evenly visited the people taken refuge in Bauchi environs and provide them with relief materials.

Dariye and his instigators CAN should hand their head in shame and apologise to this nation for inflicting so much wounds on it?s innocent citizen.  

Allah Hafiz

Ajinji and gogoganka... You both are not good people.you are sick... that is why the Whole world now hates muslim...
You pretend like you do not know nigeria history... this is the second time in nigeria history that christain would fight back apart from zango kataf people... How many times have muslim killed christain.... More than 1000 time in Nigeria history.. I believe nigeria should be divide now... The rest of us in one country and your people in another nation with Obasanjo been president of your sharia country...

I have lost hope in Nigeria....
this is injustice to the people of Plateau.. why did Hausa/fulani Obasanjo President not impose State of emergency of Kano state... Why did Obasanjo suspend the state house... from what I know of law. if the governor is not available, it is the duty of the Deputy to take control or chief justice of the state or speaker of the house... Obasanjo should be remove from power for break the law of Nigeria....
atch nigeria first online Television Naija television and 16 Nigeria radio, and 60 more Tv station around the world.
http://www.nigeriaone.com
http://www.nigeriaone.com

Negus

Neither obasanjo nor Dariye do i trust, i feel they're just a bunch of psychopants from the same feather, i think this is not the first time i am saying this statement but let me repeat it again "THERE WILL NOT BE ANY POSITIVE CHANGE IN NIGERIA FOR NOW, MAYBE AFTER THIS SO CALLED DEMOCRACY OF A THING WE MIGHT SEE A CHANGE", they have finished with mother North, thank God there will be a day of reckoning if not some people would finished with us. May God help us all.

alhaji_aminu

ai aniyarsa ce ta bishi. he has been such a brute in Jos and now he sees the law of karma in action. like he did, it will be done to him. equal measure no cuta.
Obasanjo's time is coming as well. the parliament will boot him out of office one of these days!
the victims are clearly the winners in this situation. more power to them.
bissalam

Eskimo

Well done Mallam-T, I quite agree with your view of the crisis...so is G-naka's view. You too are virtually saying the same thing...
I wish pple will not look at it from the angle of christians killing muslims or vice versa (pardon my spelling).
Human life is far beyond what we think..it is sacred!

Mr Guest..I hate to say it is you that is sick..not Ajingi & G-naka. Who cares who is killing who...all we want is peace. In Nigeria pple attack each other irrespective of religion. It is the tribal sentiment that is worrying Nigeria more.

Let me clarify some points to you..you may cease to be sick again. Where are you when the ife and modakeke are killing each other, the Tiv (mainly christians) and Jukun (partially muslims/christians) and Fulani (mainly muslims) are burning their own town and villages.

You said this is the second time christians are attacking muslim in Nigeria...apart from Zangon Kataf. You are perfectly right only if we assume Kafanchan, Tafawa-Balewa in Bauchi, Jos september Crisis, Wase crisis were all extension of Zangon Kataf. So also is the recent Numan crisis. After all..they basically have the same basis. even the Kaduna sharia crisis was started by the demonstrating christians. What normally happens is that they will start it and it always backfire on them..except in Zangon Kataf and yelwa were they emerged "victorious". (I forget Tafawa Balewa).

This is just for your information.. May b I shouldnt even be responding to this..but just an attempt to change your attitude towards your neigbors...PLEASE LEARN TO THINK PEACE ANB BE OBJECTIVE.

People of different religion and ethnic groups live in peace elsewhere..why cant we cease to be primitive...and learn to live in peace.
color=blue]NOBODY is PERFECT and I am NOBODY.[/color]

mallamt

Quote from: "Eskimo"
People of different religion and ethnic groups live in peace elsewhere..why cant we cease to be primitive...and learn to live in peace.

Fantastic end note from eskimo and a very good basis for discussion.  Okay guys so why are we so primitive and unable to live with each other peacfully like in some other parts of the world?

EMTL

Assalamu alaikum,
Suspending Dariye is not enough i belief Dariye and his co-collaborators should be tried for genocide.
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

ajingi

These include 'realisation that in the modern race for progress we must do things for ourselves instead of revelling in violence and destruction. :oops:
I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.

EMTL

Assalamu alaikum,

"If you do good you do it for yourself..."

The suspended governor of Plateau State, Chief Joshua Dariye, may be in for more trouble as Chairman, Code of Conduct Tribunal, Justice Bashir Sambo, yesterday threatened to issue a bench warrant for his arrest.

Dariye may be arrested for failing to appear before the tribunal to answer to criminal charges bordering on breach of assets declaration law.

Sambo said his tribunal would have no option but to order Dariye's arrest should he refuse to honour his court's summons.

The trial judge issued the threat when he observed that Dariye was absent at the tribunal despite earlier invitation to him.

However following the plea of the prosecution, Sambo eventually ordered that the summons against Dariye be published in three national newspapers including THISDAY, Punch and New Nigerian newspapers.

Although the case was adjourned till October 6, 2004, the charges against Dariye were not read since the suspended governor did not appear in court.

Although the charges were not read, THISDAY, however, gathered that they might not be unconnected with some foreign accounts Dariye allegedly maintained before his suspension.

Dariye was reportedly arrested at Marriott Hotel in central London last Thursday by London Metropolitan police, Scotland Yard. The arrest was not unconnected with the sum of њ2 million allegedly traced to his London bank account.

The former governor who was held for about three hours reportedly confessed that he maintained the foreign bank account even before he became a governor.

The fifth Schedule, part 1, Section 3 of the 1999 Constitution, which lists code of conduct of public officers precludes serving public officers from operating foreign bank accounts.

The section refers to the President, Vice President, governors, members of the National and State legislatures, ministers, commissioners and such other public officers or persons as the National Assembly may by law so prescribe.

Dariye was also reported to have disclosed that one of the foreign accounts was for the payment of school fees abroad, even though it was not explicit whether the account was for his own school fees or those of his children.

Also, a team of British detectives reportedly interrogated Dariye over money laundering after њ80,000 was allegedly found in his London residence by the detectives. But Dariye claimed that only њ10,000 was found on him.
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).