News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

MAN UTD OFFICIAL NEWS>

Started by kariballa, October 05, 2003, 11:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kariballa

United have been repeatedly linked with a move for Saha, who yesterday admitted for the first time that he would relish a move to Old Trafford.

Team-mate Hayles told the London Evening Standard: "I think it would be superb if the club can convince Louis to stay because he's been a key player for us this season.

"His goals have been crucial to the team's success and, although his form has made it harder for me to be a regular starter, we'd all be very disappointed if he was sold.

"Getting him tied down to a new contract might not be that easy. It seems Louis would be happy to stay at Fulham, but when Manchester United come knocking you can never take anything for granted."

Report by Steve Bartram.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Andy Clarke reports

A goal after 14 minutes from Quinton Fortune was enough to move Manchester United four points clear at the top of the Premiership ahead of Arsenal's visit to Southampton on Monday.

The South African cut inside from the left flank and fired in a low right-footed shot which took a deflection off Danny Mills to leave Mark Schwarzer wrong-footed in the Boro goal.

It should have heralded an entertaining match, but what followed was largely frenetic and short on quality. Boro's failure to trouble United keeper Tim Howard spoke volumes of their troubles in front of goal.

Steve McClaren's side even had a one-man advantage for the final quarter - Darren Fletcher becoming the first United player to be sent off since Roy Keane in September 2002 - but although they kept the visitors pegged back they failed to make it count.

It was Boro who felt referee Matt Messias had been the villain of the piece in the first half as they surrounded the York official on the way back to the dressing room at half time.

Messias had cautioned George Boateng for a tackle on Paul Scholes seconds after Keane had walked away from a similar offence without having his name taken. Juninho was also shown the yellow card for his vociferous protests.

Fletcher had been booked three minutes before the interval - perhaps harshly - but he could have few complaints when his blatant trip on Boudewijn Zenden led to a red card.

Boro took the game to the Premiership champions for the final half an hour, but had little to show for their efforts until Ugo Ehiogu's ambitious 20-yard volley dipped over the bar in injury time, although Michael Ricketts could perhaps have done better with a wayward header.

Sir Alex Ferguson's men had conjured up by far the better chances from their sporadic forays upfield and were denied a second goal when Schwarzer produced a magnificent fingertip save to touch Scholes' fizzing strike onto the bar.

Scholes then fooled two Boro defenders before skipping into the area and teeing up Giggs, only for the United winger to be blocked by a lunge from Gareth Southgate.

Ferguson believes his side will get even better in the New Year, and now knows his side will top the table going into 2004.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Sir Alex Ferguson defended Darren Fletcher after the young Scot was sent off during the 1-0 win at Middlesbrough for two reckless challenges.
The midfielder was shown two yellow cards by referee Matt Messias, who had been jeered off at the interval for booking George Boateng but failing to penalise Roy Keane for a clean tackle from behind.

Ferguson felt the official was wrong to dismiss Fletcher, but did not believe Boro deserved anything from the match as again their shot-shy forward line failed to sparkle.

"I don't think it was fortunate," stated Ferguson, whose side won with a Quinton Fortune shot that deflected off Danny Mills.

"They didn't make a chance in the whole match. Tim Howard didn't have a save to make.

"They had lots of corners and long throw-ins, but I think we defended very well.

"The referee has made a rod for his own back. The first booking is ridiculous. There should have been four or five sent off on that principle. But we don't want that.

"There was nothing nasty in the game. Two tackles and the young boy's sent off.

"He's only starting his career. He's never been that type of player, but he's been sent off.

"Maybe it got the crowd going and they were at them. Their staff went after him in the tunnel. But decision-making is an important part of the referee's job to get that right.

"We stopped spreading the play and, in fairness to Boro, they upped the tempo and fought like tigers, so you've got to give them a lot of credit."

Ferguson again remained tight-lipped on the January transfer window, but stressed he will not neccesarily move for a defender to replace Rio Ferdinand.

"I'm assessing the situation," he told Sky Sports. "We may have a look and do something if the right person comes along. We might be tempted.

"The Rio ban doesn't come into the equation."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United midfielder Roy Keane has revealed he has a desire to manage The Red Devils and succeed Sir Alex Ferguson once his illustrious playing career is over.
The former Republic of Ireland international is currently studying for the relevant coaching badges, and believes working under Sir Alex Ferguson and Brian Clough has put him in good stead.

Keane was won virtually every trophy in the game, playing a pivotal role in United's success over the past decade, and is hoping to give something back to the game.

"I have spoken to one or two people in the game and it is something which appeals to me - going down the road to becoming a manager," Keane told the News of the World.

"I wouldn't like to say for certain, but it is definitely something in the back of my mind. The challenge would appeal to me and to be manager of Manchester United? Why not!

"I'd like to pass on the experience I have had - and I have been fortunate to play under some brilliant managers such as Sir Alex and Brian Clough.

"Hopefully the boss will be here for a few more years but it is something which has crossed my mind.

"I am in the process, along with a few other players at United, of sitting my coaching badges over the next year or two and then who knows?"
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

By Gerrit van Leeuwen
Manchester United are believed to be stepping up their interest in PSV Eindhoven teenager Arjen Robben.
Sources in Holland sugget that United are leading the chase for the highly-rated 19-year-old and have already held initial discussions about a move.

PSV have previously confirmed they have received enquiries from an unnamed club and it is believed that United were the mystery outfit in question.

Dutch daily De Telegraaf suggests that Robben could travel to England this weekend for further talks and to take in United's FA Cup clash with Aston Villa.

The Dutch Young Player of the Year has attracted the interest of a host of top clubs and United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is keen to secure a deal for the skilful winger.

Reports suggest that United are close to capturing Robben on a five-year deal with the option to loan him back to PSV for one season.

PSV are resigned to losing Robben and they will not be able to resist a big-money offer from United.

Any move looks unlikely during the January transfer window as Robben is ineligible for Europe having played in the UEFA Champions League this season for PSV, but United could be looking to secure an agreement with the player now to ward off interest from rival clubs.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United skipper Roy Keane has reiterated his call for Sir Alex Ferguson to bring in a new striker when the transfer window reopens.
Keane fears that United are struggling for cover in attack and he believes a new signing would enhance their chances of success.

The powerhouse midfielder admits he fears losing star striker Ruud van Nistelrooy to long-term injury as there is no adequate cover for the Dutchman at Old Trafford.

"I still think we could probably do with one or two players and maybe the manager is thinking the same," said Keane.

"Only a couple of weeks ago we had Paul Scholes and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer out at the same time. Please God, nothing happens to Ruud van Nistelrooy.

"It's the manager's department, but any player coming into the team or the squad lifts everybody.

"It would even lift the strikers - I've been in the same position over the years with midfielders coming in. It makes you step up another level.

"With the one or two injuries we've had, maybe we are not as strong up front as people think we are so we will just have to wait and see what happens."

United have been linked with a number of strikers in recent weeks including Fulham's Louis Saha, Leeds hit-man Mark Viduka and West Ham's Jermain Defoe with PSV Eindhoven's Arjen Robben the latest to be reportedly attracting the interest of Ferguson.

Robben is regarded as one of the brightest prospects in Europe, but a move in January seems unlikely as he would ineligible for Europe having played in the UEFA Champions League already this season.

Meanwhile, Keane has admitted he could consider a return to international football with the Republic of Ireland.

Keane quit his country last year due to growing concerns over his hip problem.

The former Nottingham Forest has been exiled from his country after walking out of the squad on the eve of the 2002 World Cup following his infamous row with then boss Mick McCarthy.

Keane believes he would still be able to do a job for Ireland, but feels personal grudges with some players may prevent his return.

"I do feel I could still do a job for Ireland. Then again, there are one or two players who I wouldn't fancy playing with because of what happened before," added Keane.

"I watch some of the games and I think I could definitely do a job for the team.

"But because I feel OK in myself now, it doesn't mean I've forgotten what the surgeon told me about how important it is to rest my hip."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Southampton defender Michael Svensson believes Arsenal will have to improve if they are to wrestle the title away from Manchester United.
The Swedish defender was on the receiving end on Monday as The Gunners cruised to victory at St Mary's.

Despite Arsenal being dominant, Svensson feels The Saints were rarely tested and he has been more impressed with The Red Devils.

"We were caught off guard against Arsenal," said Svensson. "We fielded many young players in the match.

"Had we had a better day, we could very well have threatened Arsenal. We know we can do much better.

"Right now, it feels like I could have played another 90 minutes. We did not actually have much to do in defence.

"Apart from the goal, I don't feel that they created particularly much. Just the shot by Ljungberg, nothing else."

Looking at the bigger picture, Svensson added: "Manchester United are best in the long run. It feels like they are the most experienced.

"Arsenal don't have the same depth in the squad."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Anderlecht have again told Manchester United and other interested parties, that defender Vincent Kompany is not for sale.
The outstanding 17-year-old is seen by many as the best young defender in world football.

United, and most of Europe's elite, have been keeping tabs on Kompany since he broke into Les Mauves' first team at the beginning of this season.

Belgian press reports had suggested that United had come back in for Kompany in the last week and offered more than ?10 million.

Anderlecht's new general manager Herman van Holsbeeck would not confirm or deny the reports, but stated that even if that bid had been lodged - then it would not be accepted.

"If that's the offer, I think he will stay," Van Holsbeeck said.

"He is only 17 and we are trying to have a new policy at Anderlecht, showing young players they can make a career here.

"If we sell Kompany after only six months, then that policy will look like nothing."

Meanwhile, sources in Belgium have reported that United's feeder club Royal Antwerp will appoint a member of the Old Trafford backroom staff as their new coach.

Antwerp's vice-president Karel Vertongen confirmed the idea was being thought about.

"There is a possibility we can get a coach from Manchester United," he said.

"All the other candidates for the job as coach will have to be patient."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United ace Ruud van Nistelrooy does not expect any problems with talks over his new contract at Old Trafford.
The Dutch master still has another two and a half years remaining on his current contract, but United are keen to tie him to a new long-term deal.

Real Madrid have been linked with a possible move for the prolific hit-man, but van Nistelrooy wants to stay with United and expects to put the finishing touches to his contract extension in the near future.

"The talks are going very well and I am positive about the outcome," van Nistelrooy told MUTV.

"I do not expect any problems and quite probably the negotiations are going to be finished soon.

"The manager knows what I feel for this club. I want to stay here for a long time, that is why I am so happy that everything is going so well."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Arjen Robben's father has revealed that his son is ready to commit his future to PSV Eindhoven.
Reports have linked the forward with a move to Manchester United, and PSV president Harry van Raaij fuelled the fire by suggesting Robben was close to the exit door.

Van Raaij was speaking after earlier talks failed to bear fruit but the 19-year-old's father has now claimed they are ready to return to the negotiating table.

Hans Robben was also at pains to stress that a move to The Red Devils is unlikely.

"There is nothing concrete going on between Manchester United and us," Robben senior told Dagblad van het Noorden.

"It's quite the contrary: we are speaking to PSV to see if we can get a better deal in Eindhoven than Arjen has at the moment.

"If PSV are willing to invest in new and experienced players, Arjen wants to think about a longer stay in Eindhoven."

The Dutch league is not lucrative enough for top clubs to keep all their best players on long term deals but their policy has generally been to sell just one per season.

Star striker Mateja Kezman is one of the most sought-after players in Europe and his sale from the Philips Stadion would lessen the need to cash in on Robben.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Sir Alex Ferguson has reassured fans that talks over Ruud van Nistelrooy's contract extension are progressing well.
A nervous uncertainty lingers around the situation, as Real Madrid are rumoured to be intent on adding the Dutch striker to their superstar-laden squad.

However, Ferguson said: "You can't get upset about it. The important thing is to trust the situation we have with Ruud.

"He is very happy here, we are on the point of signing a new contract with him, he has two-and-a-half years left of his contract, and you don't know what the truth of the matter is.

"He is a Manchester United player."
Sir Alex Ferguson

"But Real are renowned for that and we have to just put it to the side and make sure we concentrate on our relationship with Ruud which is very good," said Ferguson.

"The boy's happy. I had a chat with him the other day and as I say, we are on the point of agreeing a new contract and hopefully we will be able to give out more details of that fairly soon.

"He is a Manchester United player. We have had great strikers, but Ruud has a phenomenal record which says everything."

Report by Steve Bartram.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer resumed training with the first team on Friday and has been pencilled in for a reserve game against Birmingham City on 15 January, ManUtd.com can confirm.

Solskjaer has been out of action for over three months after undergoing a cartilage operation on his knee on 23 September.

But Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed the 30-year-old striker is nearing a return, providing a welcome boost to United's attack.

”Ole trained with the first team on Friday," Sir Alex told MUTV. "He didn’t do an awful lot, but at least he did something.

"We’ve pencilled him in for 15 January for a comeback game against Birmingham reserves," said a hopeful Ferguson. "He’ll be a welcome boost to us all because he is such a fantastic professional."

Meanwhile the boss says Wes Brown now just needs match practice to complete his return from a knee injury. Fergie said: "Wes Brown has been training, he’s back and just needs games now."

Report by Ben Hibbs.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson admits there is a growing frustration at the failure to resolve Rio Ferdinand's ongoing drugs saga.
Ferdinand was handed an eight-month suspension by The Football Association a fortnight ago for missing a random drugs test in September.

The hefty ban was due to commence on January 12 but a delay in the appeals process means the England international will still be available for selection after that date.

Ferdinand's legal team are awaiting written clarification from The FA regarding the precise reasons for the independent commission's decision to mete out an eight-month suspension.

Those documents are unlikely to arrive until next week, meaning the centre half then has 14 days in which to lodge an appeal.

The messy affair is unlikely to be settled before the end of January and Red Devils chief Ferguson is becoming impatient due to the delay.

Ferguson feels the impasse is not aiding Ferdinand's quest to focus on his football but the United boss has continued to praise his player's attitude.

"We're still awaiting the documentation from The FA and apparently it won't arrive until next week," Ferguson told MUTV.

"We've been waiting now for over two weeks.

"It's not helping the player but Rio's handling it well. He's got a great temperament. I just hope it continues that way."

Ferguson also confirmed that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is a step closer to a first-team comeback after over three months on the sidelines with a knee injury.

The Norwegian striker is due to feature in the reserves on January 15 and Ferguson is happy Solskjaer is almost back at his disposal.

"Ole trained with the first team today," continued Ferguson. "He didn't do an awful lot but at least he did something.

"We've pencilled him in for a comeback game against Birmingham reserves. He'll be a welcome boost to us all because he is such a fantastic professional."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Marseille have wrapped up the loan signing of Fabien Barthez - finally ending the Manchester United goalkeeper's spell in limbo.
Barthez has been training with l'OM for some time, but was unable to complete a loan move under Fifa's transfer window ruling.

However, Marseille have now announced that the 32-year-old France international has completed the move, and could make his debut in the Coupe de France clash against Strasbourg on Saturday.

Barthez has fallen out of favour at Manchester United, with American Tim Howard and Roy Carroll ahead of the Frenchman in the Old Trafford pecking order.

The loan spell will see Barthez remain with l'OM until next summer - when a decision about his long-term future will be made.
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.

kariballa

Sir Alex Ferguson feels Manchester United are still paying the price for their decision to sidestep the FA Cup four years ago.
The Red Devils withdrew from the fabled competition in 2000 to participate in the Fifa World Club Championship in Brazil, despite being holders of the trophy.

United's decision to bypass the FA Cup in favour of the South American sojourn incurred the wrath of many who felt the club were devaluing the tournament's status.

Ferguson admits the Premiership champions are still burdened by that absence and concedes he cannot contemplate fielding under-strength teams as is generally the case in the League Cup.

"There was a lot of headline making made out of the Brazil thing and we took a lot of criticism at that time," said Ferguson.

"We've had to try and make amends for it and we don't treat it lightly, though we'd like easier draws."

United start on the road to the final this year with a trip to Aston Villa on Sunday and Ferguson feels David O'Leary's resurgent side will pose a serious threat.

He added: "It is a hard one, Aston Villa away but the FA Cup is the FA Cup. There is a lot of mystery about it and you don't know what is going to happen, with many examples of this over the years.

"We've not progressed to the later rounds like we'd have liked to have done in recent years.

"The last time we won it was in 1999. We'd like a run but we've got to get by Villa. It won't be easy as they've started playing well. We're also playing well so it should be a good game.

"Their form has picked up. They have beaten Chelsea in the League Cup, beat Fulham 3-0 which is a good result, therefore, I think a lot of confidence is coming back.

"They have a good squad of players there so we are not going to be taking anything for granted. It's going to be difficult but our own form is very good."
l'mar'u ma'a man ahabba.