News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Of Saudi Scholarship, Suicide Bombing and Qaradawi

Started by _Waziri_, September 22, 2004, 11:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Waziri_

Since I have a little time at my disposal this morning let me take this subject and finish it for good. The comments by Amin on the other thread rejuvenated my interest to put forward things straight. Amin said:

QuoteAs for your scholarship being Saudi centered I am sure I was right.
You retinue of scholars all have one thing or the other related to Saudia (The Kingdom of fools). Albanee's books are popular there suggesting that his works are not censored by the Saudi ministries. Jaafar Adam I am not so sure but if I am not mistaken, he was educated in Saudia. Qaradawi I think is the one you are most influenced by. Based in Qatar and heavily popular in the Middle East, Qaradawi has pretty conservative views. He has said that Suicide bombing, most of which kill civilians, is a legitimate weapon of war. This proclamtion is a God sent to saudis who have this irrational and most often idiotic hatred for Jews even the unborn ones.

First I do not know of anything in the Islamic world known as the Saudi centered scholarship (maybe Amin here can help us).  When I made reference to some scholars up there I was not having the slightest feeling of inclination to some class of scholars anywhere in the world but those scholars who – though I sometimes disagree with – I maintain have always try to build the premise of their arguments on reason and revelation.

If the scholars I had mentioned have anything in common it is there Islam, which they share with Amin. If they have anything to do with Saudi Kingdom it is nothing more than what Amin has to do with Saudi Kingdom which he found reason to describe to be kingdom of fools regardless of the fact that the place harbours the two most sacred places of Islam.

First, Albaniy I made reference to was Auwal Albaniy not the Nasiruddeen Albaniy. Auwal is an Islamic scholar residing here in Zaria who achieved a height in scholarship through independent reading. He's never been to Saudi for any scholarship. He is not an Arabian. He is black like Amin.

Second, Ja'afar Adam Mahmud, though onetime student of Qur'anic Science in Jami'atul Islamiyya Medina, has always been a distinguished scholar in the tradition of his family here in Nigeria. He committed Qur'an to his memory before he left to Saudi for further scholarship.

Third, Yusuf Qaradawi is an Egyptian who studied in the most westernised Islamic University in the world, Azhar University, Cairo. He committed Qur'an to his memory at the age of 8yrs. He has a PHD on Islamic Shari'a and legal theory which makes him stand out today as one of the most credible jurists we have in the Islamic world. He authored many books on Jurisprudence, Philosophy and Politics. No student worth his salt doubts the feat of Qaradawi in Islamic Shari'a.

Fourthly, the Nasiruddeen Albaniy you made reference to thinking him to be the one I sited is a white man. He too achieved a feat through independent scholarship before he moved to Saudi Arabia where he was made a lecturer in Jami'atul Medina. He made his mark there as a distinguished scholar of Hadith. He is the Buhari of our generation. He achieved recognition everywhere in the world that today no work on Hadith is done anywhere without making reference to Albaniy the white man, Islamic scholar, who did not study in Saudi but influenced scholarship everywhere in the world. He was a Muhadith not a jurist like Qaradawi he also doesn't believe it is Islamic to snap pictures. He was expelled from Saudi Arabia for his position that women do not have to necessarily cover their faces after covering their bodies properly. Saudi government saw him dividing their house by this position and therefore expelled him from the University banning him from staying in the country. He was right in his Fatwa and Saudi government was right in their action.

We can see from the above that the scholars mentioned have nothing to boast about in Saudi more than myself or Amin can boast about. I made reference to them because of their popularity and near-accurate methods they employ whenever it comes to forming arguments.  But yet many at times they differed in conclusions themselves just as I many at times disagree with them.

On Qaradawi and Suicide Bombing

I do not know where Amin read the Fatwa of Qaradawi saying suicide bombing which kills MOSLTLY CIVILIANS is a legitimate weapon of war. But I know actually how he gave Fatwa that suicide bombing is a legitimate weapon of war with conditions and one of it is that it must not make innocent people its target only. We should know that suicide bombing came to prominence in the middle east only after the Israeli occupation of the Palestine and the Palestines used it only to target the military cantonments of the Israelis and the UN's peace keeping force when they realised the force did not mean to keep peace but rather help the consolidation of the Israeli military campaign troops. Up till this day we hardly read a case of suicide bombing that make innocent people its target only. Try to read the news always with third eye analysing it with your sixth sense.

One of the premises for this Fatwa is in the action of Mus'ab Ibn Umayr during the War against Musailimah Al-Kazzab, the Zindiq who declared himself a Prophet immediately after the demise of our holy Prophet, Musailima and his people were in a garden fortified against Muslim armies preventing anybody from getting close to them while using bows and arrows and spears killing Muslims from a distance. Mus'ab told his Muslim brothers to throw him into the garden from the sidewall  where he opened the gate of the garden for them at the expense of his life.

Finally, if really I have taken a strong position in this discourse about terrorism and suicide bombing it is more for the reason of what many western thinkers and touch bearers of their civilisation write, Samuel Huntington and Francis Fukuyama and the lot more. Huntington wrote his seminal work, Clash Of Civilisations, the work is good and in depth in its analysis. He used more than one thousands references. He travelled a lot to places including Northern Nigeria to see how far the West conquered the whole world.

At the end he concluded that the greatest threat to Western Civilisation is Islam and they must do something about it. Huntington book became so popular among the leaders and scholars of the Western world to the extent that many believe it to have been the sole reason for the proclamations of War on terror, which makes Muslims and Islam its sole target. One of the methods they use is to make the whole world hate Islam as a way of life. And also crush all people and countries that identify with Islam as an ideal way of living. This is of course the reason why every act of self-liberation by any individual or group of Muslims is labelled terrorism. At a point these acts of terrorism are organised by these people and give it a label of Islam and Muslim colours. In Algeria government officials many times dressed like the so called Muslims fundamentalists, members of FIS, only to attack villages with the hope of waning down the support of the people for to Islamic party.

alhaji_aminu

Salam

Wazir may Allah bless you more that he has already for shedding more light on Qaradawi and suicide bombing. I do have alot to say but that will be tmrw. I have exams today...

But before I leave, I will like you to clarify some issues. You made mention of Mus'ab ibn Umayr in the battle against Musailamatul Khazzab.
This battle, fought in the Najd party of Arabia, was fought after Muhammad's (PBUH) death in Abubakar's khilafa.
Anyway, I thought Mus'ab died in ghazwatu Uhud. In fact the prophet wept for him because he cannot imagine the Umayr being the pampered boy in Makkah ( who scvarificed all and beacme a diplomat for the messanger) with the Umayr of Uhud dead and not even enough shroud is available to cover him during the funeral.

more tmrw......

_Waziri_

OK Amin wish you the very best of luck in your examination. I will need some time to get to resolve the issue of the personalities involved in those battles with clear referencing appealing to the schorlaship of more recognized authorities. But for the mean time I am most interested in your comments on what we said in the other threads dealing with this issue of terrorism.

Also in case we come across any controversy after that exercise in relations to the personalities involved in those battles, we can just forget about the persons and concentrate on the events since it is certain that some person volonteered to be thrown into the garden sacrificing his life for the ideology of Islam to prevail.

_Waziri_

I come this way again to confirm the truth that Mus'ab Ibn Umayr was not the companion who volunteered to  be thrown into the garden but Albarra' Ibn Azif, This is recorded in the book Arrijalu Halannabiyyi. It is said after he had opened the gates and the war ended, his body was examined to see how it sustained over a hundred cuts.

Though a friend up here did not see any reason why I should mix up the two personalities since its our engagement over time to study the events and the histories as they happened without prejudice. But yet this error from my part owes much - i would say-  to my memory which I thought could not fail me. My thinking was I read something like that  of Abubakar Gidado AlNafatiy, our country man who wrote the title: Tarihin Islam, which we read at our tenth and eleventh years. But it appears to me now that he too did not write it that way.