News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

NYSC: It Is Still Relevant?

Started by EMTL, February 23, 2004, 11:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMTL

Assalamu alaikum,
Many are of the view that the NYSC is no longer relevant in view of the huge amounts of money Government is spending yearly.
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

Abut

Salam,

As a corper i think i am in a good position to say that what the NYSC is suffering from are the same problems the Nigerian society is faced with as a whole.The ideals are right,but the whole structure needs to be revamped,issues like the welfare of corpers have to take center stage and thinks like rejection of corp members when posted to their places of primary assingment should be a thing of the past.Scraping the programme is taking the lazy way out.

WATERSPIDER

Well ..........I have 2 say i agree with mr abut but 50/50.The NYSC is a good programme but why does it have to be compulsory on people.If you are not among the "fortunate copers that get posted to good places of attachment you may end up wasting a whole year of your life.So all i am saying is let the camp be mandatory but the posting optional in a better way.It will reduce the strain for funds on the NYSC. :-/
nd in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years

Gimbiya

I think NYSC as a whole just need to be vanished. there's no use of it. it used to have a purpose but now, most people will do it and finish it without any job offer at hand. sai dai a koma a zauna ayi tagumi(for what reason?) people might as well stay and look for jobs on their own, rather than wasting a whole year. may be if the broke down into something like 3months or so. something like an intership, that alone give fresh gradutes enough experience
color=pink] Knoledge Saves Lives--- FAAWIN[/color]

surajo

haba malamai,
  just like one hausa proverb is saying " DA ZAMAN BANZA GARA AIKIN KISHIYA HAKA KUMA DA TARON YUYUYU GARA DA DAYA KYAKYKYAWA" so it is still relevent and important upon all the looting on the govt. side.

UMORS ARE CARRIED BY .......... SPREAD BY ............ AND ACCEPTED BY POOOOOOOOLSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Muhammad

salam
I have not graduated  so i have not done my service. BUt I am really looking up to it. All the people who have done it said it was fun and hey, who does want to be happy.
Ofcourse there are lots of changes between now and how its done before. But nonetheless, it provides us the opportunity to explore other parts of Nigeria and get paid while you do it!
I think NYSC is still relevant.
PS: Isnt it funny what NYSC is called in Hausa: Bautar kasa.
where did that come from?

madori

Salam,
In my opinion, the NYSC program aims and objectives are really good for the country, but the issue is this, are the inputs(money) worth the outputs? I believe not.
It should either be abolished and the money used in other National dev sectors, or the total allowee for the whole yr with the some adjusments put together and be given to each garduating student to start up his biz or something along that way

Anonymous

The NYSC is such a good idea I am trying to get my party to adopt it as a policy for graduates in Scotland that they should do public service after they graduate in Scotland (or in the third world) as a way of paying back the costs of the education they have received.
It was a new idea just before I left Education in Nigeria. In fact I lodged four young ladies from the south in my house when I was at WTC Kano who were doing their NYSC as teachers in Kano State. Two were Igbo,two Yoruba. I got to know them very well and their views about Nigeria's future were interesting. I was teaching one of them - one Cecilia- to drive till she ran my car into a goal post on a lesson.  NYSC was a good idea then. Perhaps it is not being run properly now.

EMTL

Assalamu alaikum,
Am very concern with the insensibilities of the NYSC camp operators, of recent somebody was thrown out of the camp because he has beards. Most sisters are not comfortable with the NYSC dress, etc. I think the scheme needs to re-positioned, the particpants' culture and faith need to be considered.

Overall the NYSC scheme is beneficial to the Corpers more than the purpose of integration for which it was introduced. I doubt if the present Government could check the activities of the criminals that continue to chop the money meant for the these youth.

It is better to hang to something for one year (NYSC) and prepare before one gets into the labour market proper. Perhaps the scheme should be made voluntary.
In the Affairs of People Fear Allah (SWT). In the Matters Relating to Allah (SWT) Do not be Afraid of Anybody. Ibn Katthab (RA).

Dan-Borno

Thanks to EMTL, Madori, Muhammad, Surajo, Gimbiya,
Waterspider and Abut for their critical assessment of
the NYSC.

I felt its time to reincarnate the old thread instead of
posting it as a new topic.  Today 17th October, 2007
new Corps members will be sworn in and will start their
orientation as soon as possible, infact this is the 2nd batch
if i am not mistaken.

The issue of NYSC has received so many criticism, while
on the other hand people are opening up their hands in
welcoming the idea of NYSC.  Whatever your view must
be on the issue of NYSC, you have to put at the back of
your mind what will be the faith of the youth if there is
no NYSC at all, or instead of scrapping it, why not modify
it to fit into all systems.

Conclusively, I have personally known cases where our
brothers and sisters who were posted to the south, seek
for redeployment back to their home towns, dont you
think we are doing more damage to the north?

Any useful suggestion is highly welcome.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak