News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

What are you reading today?

Started by Muhsin, December 06, 2007, 10:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakangizo

Yeah right. But be careful I notice you are also in love with big words. We don't want you to be the Hausa Soyinka  ;D ;)

Now about Sheldon. The Sands of Time and Tell Me Your Dreams are nowhere close to being his best books. Far far from that. He made his name with world-acclaimed novels like Other Side of Midnight, Memories of the Midnight Star (sequel), Rage of Angels, Master of the Game, If Tomorrow Comes, Windmills of the Gods. I assure you these novels make Sands of Time and Tell me your Dreams seem like second-rate 8) ;D. They are simply too superior. So try get your hands on them.

Muhsin

Hmm... There are no better words to describe him and his writings. And I have read all these novels you mentioned. I can explain to you why none among them is my best, and why I chose those ones.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

bakangizo

You've read them, and still they are not better? :o Am surprised. But them am not. Its a matter of choice, isn't it?  ;D

Muhsin

Quote from: bakangizo on September 19, 2011, 08:31:35 AM
You've read them, and still they are not better? :o Am surprised. But them am not. Its a matter of choice, isn't it?  ;D

Other Side of Midnight; and Memories of Midnight
Although these two sequential novels are very interesting, there are but setbacks therein them, as I believe. If my memory serves me right: they tell stories of Noelle Page, Dimiris and others. The story is too fictitious; and some characters' bad-planned deaths reduce the vitality and intrigue of it. At best, they shouldn't have died. This last point applies more to Other Side of Midnight.

Windmills of the God
Diana Evans' story. It's also a sequence to one other novel, which I eventually forget its title now. The novel is too political and I'm one person who is less interested in the American politics that the novel talks about, i.e. U.S foreign policy in Americas—Ecuador, I think. More-over, the leading character isn't a very good go-getter as usually are his heroes and heroines.

Master of the Games
Sincerely I even modified my preceding reply where I included it in the reply, yet I can't see that now. The novel's my third best novel by Sheldon I so much like it especially for its African historical context. Mc Gregor, I think is the father and the earlier central character of the story. He's whom the story revolves around before it later centers on his daughter and subsequently his grand-daughter take on. I so much enjoyed reading it; from that I learned a lot such as the South African Bantu, Bantustan and so on.

If Tomorrow Comes
One thing to simply, though completely, criticize this novel with is it's being too much a fantasy. The principal character of Tracy Witney performs actions beyond anybody's expectation. Hence, the Master-Story teller there himself fails to shun away a great deal of "suspension of disbelief" in many a readers' mind. I'm an example. Notwithstanding, it's indisputably true that many regard it as Sheldon's best. I'm sincerely not among.

Rage of Angels
I can't say much here, for I had had started reading this novels for at least two times, but I never finish. As I many a times get les stuff to read these days—I'm not in Kano—I'll procure it and read it.

Lastly, I thought you'll include these two intriguing novels as well, viz Doomsday Conspiracy and Morning, Noon and Night. A very close friend of mine considers these Sheldon nicest. Individual differences.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

Muhsin

Muhsin

Re-reading my novel, A Weird Hope for publication...inshaAllah.  :D

HUSNAA

Talking about Sidney Sheldon has brought back wonderful memories of when I read his books: rage of angels, bloodline, the otherside of midnight and one or two others mentioned by BKG. Lallai Muhsin doesnt get the books.... Like BKG said, those that he mentioned are some of Sidney Sheldon's finest books. I remember that rage of angels made such a huge impact on me when the heroine lost everything at the end of the novel and had to start all over again. The other side of midnight is about the man who had his revenge on two characters who double crossed him or some woman, I dont remember. I thought the ending was one of the best tales of the unexpected that I'd ever read in a novel.
Who knows Dominic Dunne? I once read one of his novel ( the one and only that I'd ever read I think) He used to write for vanity fair magazine. He wrote about the scandalous affairs of America's rich but not necessarily famous. Unfortunately, articles on Hollywood started to become the norm and I stopped buying it.
The point is that if anyone had the chance to read  his book titled the other woman ( I think, thats the title; its been such a long time since I read it that I cant even remember the title). But its such an excellent read that I highly recommend it to anyone who can get access to it.
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

HUSNAA

Muhsin na ji kaza ma lecturer a BUK Wow! Wow! wow! U must have made a 2:1 or first class to get a job straight away in these strait laced institutions. Congratulations and more grease and chalk to yr elbow. U are really an amazing person and a true role model. I remember when u first appeared on kano online. Ur turanci was so atrocious no one wanted to reply yr post. But look at u now!! that is the power of determination. You will go far!! If u'd been born where u can get life's  rewards for hard work (something that doesnt happen in Nigeria), u'd really be on yr way to becoming a professor before u hit thirty and if u are the entrepreneurial type, u'd be on yr way to yr third million maybe ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D......................... keep it up!!!
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

bakangizo

Muhsin, a lecturer ? Wow!! Am short of words. That's amazing. The guy really typifies "determination". Yeah, I also recall his tenacious attempts to speak/write "Big Grammar" here.  ;D And he's been told off many a times. He never gave up, nor got discouraged. Now look where he is !! Allah bada sa'a.

Muhsin

Salaam, Aunt Husnaa, BKGZ and all, thanks a great deal for your encouraging words, prayers and wishes. I am grateful. You guys have contributed a lot in that; Allah will reward you for this. BTW, I thought you all heard about it since. I assumed duty on 1st June, 2012.

@Husnaa, I have been to your office times more than count, and I was told you no longer work there. I wish you all the best in your new work-place. Nima I shall soon leave to India, insha-Allah, for my post-graduate studies.

Lastly, I don't know if it is the same with you (who have been working for long), but I barely can read novels these days. I read only "set texts", and not for my own benefit but the students. I wish life was a remote, to rewind the "old" days. Lol.

Best,
Muhsin

gogannaka

Mr Lecturer, a dage a rinka Karatu  :P kar yara su rinka kure mr lecturer.

I am currently reading Nasir El Rufa'i's 'The accidental Public Servant'....So far so good.

The last book i read was Power, Politics and Death by Olusegun Adeniyi. Segun is a good writer,he got me glued to the book.
I think i have a flair for modern history book.
Next in line after The accidental public servant is Karl Maiers "this house has fallen"
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Muhsin

Insha-Allah that will never happen, GGNK. I shall remain a teacher that worth his salt from now till the end, I pray. Though I cannot escape criticism as it is with any human being who deals with fellow human beings; and, again, I cannot avoid huddles and tussles as it is with our profession. Allah dai yayi mana jagora, amin.

On the reading issue; the set texts always preoccupy me, GGNK. When I say I read little, I refer to leisure reading. But, for instance now, I got seven plays (i. e drama texts) to read all within two weeks. And a critical secondary text(s) written on each of these plays. Toh, who am I to do that and yet find time for any extensive reading?

Adeniyi's "Power, Politics and Death" is a fine reading. The guy has painted a fair picture of the late president (his Oga at the top; lol). The language used is superb, even embellished with superlatives. I read the book as part of a course we were taught by Prof. Tsiga. Yeah, the same Isma'il Tsiga who Nasir El-Rufa'i thanks in the Acknowledgment of his controversial memoir, "Accidental..." I got a soft copy of the book (Accidental Public Servant). I read some portions in it, particularly where he talks about his first marriage, his deceased daughter, Yesmin and his other wives and kids (many, if not all, of whom are in the world top-ranking universities for their studies). What a paradoxical man!

Maier's "this house has fallen; Nigeria in crisis" has been with me (on my "library" shelve) for months, but I am yet to read a single page. Shame on me, huh? Hmm. It is on the list. Had we a Readers' Club, I would start it the moment you (GGNK) begin so that we discuss it. Amma now you shall tell me how did you find the book when you finished. Enjoy.

Muhsin

Salaam,

Reading the Holy Qur'an; it is Ramadhan period. May Allah accept it from us, amin.

Ramadhan Kareem