News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Gyaran chikin birnin kano............

Started by shehu usman ali, August 11, 2009, 02:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muhsin

Quote from: gogannaka on August 14, 2009, 11:12:42 AM
@Muhsin,
I am sorry about your loss.
My grandfather's house(which was a gidan gado) fence was also demolished during the exercise. The household complained that it was constructed with the approval of kaseppa. They were asked to bring the approval and if they are right that it was approved then the agency would rebuild their fence. The last time i heard,they took the papers and were following the process. But clearly the fence was an obstruction and they were asked to move back when re-building. In planning,usually along highways,interstate or major roads. 6Meters(i think) should be left on both sides of the road for services and in case of future expansion. Also,there are areas meant for business,residence,public services etc.But in Kano,one can build or erect anything anywhere without even considering the effect on the existing populace.Usually the attitude that akwai 'yanchi' and since babu wanda yayi magana to ai ba komai.

Thanks, GGNK.

I heard the governor's rantings once, I think some few days before the calamity befall-ed us, during a dinner organized by Kano Traders Association to celebrate his so-called Doctorate Degree. He saintly as usual and always explained (or justified, as he falsely thinks) KNUPDA's actions. The talk ended some minutes after 12 midnight. He just cut it off seeing it was becoming late, he said. You know the man is very convincing, for he's a typical holier than thou.

Exactly the following day, under my old shop's roof, a hotted argument erupted. Some arguers vehemently criticized KNUPDA's action, while others remained neutral. Wallahi I was the only exponent who tried all the tricks in the book to vindicate KNUPDA/Shekarau's exercise. Mts. Life. That's why after the demolishing of my shop some of my friends mocked me--some are even doing it whenever the subject arises.

Allah ya isa!

Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

sdanyaro

I am very sorry about your predicament Muhsin, but in most cases like this, permission from Local Government alone, without any State Agency's involvement is not usually enough. I could be wrong. Allah ya sauwake kuma Allah ya kiyaye gaba.

Muhsin

Thanks, sdanyaro.

But I made it clear that the place was said to be theirs. Later its said to be owned by Gwale veterinary, as the LG and the veterinary were (later) separated. I didn't just stay but went to the veterinary boss, had a chat with him and re-granted me another permission.

You might not understand me, fully. But there is no even kwalta around the area. The KNUPDA men were only given directive by some folks in the area to come and dehumanized people because they were/are at loggerheads with them.

I wanna say something. Don't mean anything bad. Just example.

Why do they leave some untouched who should even be displaced because of their being beside roads? For example Mandawari-Kofar Na'isa road, Kwanar 'yan dusa-Diso road, Emir's Place, Sharada, etc? Why and why?
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

gogannaka

Quote from: admin on August 14, 2009, 11:42:43 AM
Gaisuwa da godiaya ga (Thanks and greetings) to shehu usman ali for starting this Topic of discussion and to Bakan~Gizo, HUSNAA, nasr19, gogannaka, and all other memebers for their contribution to this Topic.

Is it possible for us to get any written Document and or information regarding the Kano Master Plan from KNUPDA and or Ministry of Land and Physical Planning?
Admin maybe you can purchase the masterplan from the said agencies.In the alternate you can visit Environmental Research Survey Ltd along bompai road (adjacent see sweet and bakery) and talk to them if they have digital copies.

One thing i learnt from planning professionals is that there is a duplication of responsibilities between Ministry of land and physical planning and KNUPDA.

Gaskiya Kano akwai serious problem. I think it should be the dirtiest(or second dirtiest after P/Harcourt) and most lawless city in Nigeria now and the worst is that the people are highly ignorant if this fact.When you mention this to the average dan Kano he/she starts to blame the government.You will see a street littered with dirt packed from the gutters and the people ignore it,waiting for the government to come pack it for them.
The first thing you notice in Kano now is dirt and congestion ga hayakin bala'i due to motorbikes and old cars.You hardly also ever notice trees or gardens again.
Honestly it is becoming( or has become) a dead city.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

bakangizo

Quote from: gogannaka on September 28, 2009, 11:40:15 AM
Gaskiya Kano akwai serious problem. I think it should be the dirtiest(or second dirtiest after P/Harcourt) and most lawless city in Nigeria now and the worst is that the people are highly ignorant if this fact.When you mention this to the average dan Kano he/she starts to blame the government.You will see a street littered with dirt packed from the gutters and the people ignore it,waiting for the government to come pack it for them.The first thing you notice in Kano now is dirt and congestion ga hayakin bala'i due to motorbikes and old cars.You hardly also ever notice trees or gardens again.
Honestly it is becoming( or has become) a dead city.

Gaskiya ka sosa min inda yake min kaikayi. To be frank and honest, I don't there's a lawless state vis-a-vis citizens' behaviour in Nigeria like Kano!!! This is a place where anyone feels and does like he wants. Babu ma irin 'yan Achaba. I think the govt made a serious mistake in not tackling the issue earlty enough. Now what's to be done? How do you control this menace?

gogannaka

Which if the menace are you talking about?

For the okada menace,i believe one way it can be tackled is to alienate certain routes which okada's should not be following,say major roads and highways. They should also have a time of operation.The whole essence will be to discourage everybody from venturing into the business.
Also taxi's and buses should be standardised and made more convenient.The kind of taxi's and buses ploughing the streets in Kano are as bad as the okada's themselves;deathtraps.....Kai gaskiya akwai jan aiki.

Gaskiya maybe it is high time another state is carved out of Kano state. There is no way the state can cater for 14million inhabitants,i mean that is the population of new york city,and as developed as the US is,new york remains one of the hardest cities to manage,talkless of an african city.

bakangizo

The buses/taxis are not so much of a problem like the achabas. Kai, gaskiya wadannan mutane akwai rashin da'a!  >:(

I think your suggestion to restrrict their movement to certain routes is good. Lagos and Porthcourt were mulling the idea some months back. Don't know if it has taken effect there.

I also don't think carving another state out of Kano would solve the problem, though I see the wisdom (even if not the need) for that. Y'know the problem is Kano Metropolis, not Kano state. Even if you carve out ten states out kano state, ppl will still flock to kano city/metro. People just aren't gonna leave kano city to the newly craeted states. at least not in the near future.

Muhsin

Salam,

As one popular saying goes: ai tun ran gini tun ran zane. Kano city is already over populated and polluted. And that happens as it's boarders are widely opened for every Tom and Dick to come without any sort of checking. I can remember when I visited a friend in Babura sometimes ago, there we took a bike to cross Niger's boarder to a town called Magarya. The custom officers prevented us to enter with that bike for it has no number plate. Hear this, for Allah's sake! Yau 'yan Niger are constantly flooding Kano. . .go to areas like Kurna, Rijiyar Lemo, Bachirawa, etc and witness.

And regarding carving out another state from Kano. Sincerely I kinda look at this idea as callow. Ai as BKGZ mentioned above, Kano city/metro is where the problem is culminated and there would certainly be no any change as people will definitely remain there. Look at, for example, Jigawa; even many messengers are still residing in Kano, talk less of the government officials and the rest.

Further still, when looking at this from a broad perspective; creating other states in Northern Nigeria brings little development. States like Yobe (sorry DB) are virtually better off in Borno. And even Jigawa to some extent should have been remained in Kano.

Kai, Allah dai ya gyara.

gogannaka

Just recently,i read in the papers that a family lost 11 members in kanor due to a fire outbreak.
The family came for a naming ceremony all the way from Gombe state only to meet their death.
It was reported that the fire started around 11pm.
Only two people survived including the baby who was thrown down by his mother. Unfortunately the mother died.

In the report, the fire service were quick to respond but their vehicle couldn't get access to the house because the road was too narrow. Imagine!!! Also,the burglar bars prevented the family from escaping.
At this age,how could there be a place in the metropolis for God's sake where a fire service truck cannot access?
There is a complete failure in Kano state's town planning.
The urban planning agency has failed completely and they are the ones to be blamed for the deaths of these innocent people.
Just recently also,about the same number of people,youngsters of the same family,coming back from a wedding celebration crashed into a black market petrol operator and all of them died.
When the government decided to ban the sale of petrol by the roadside the people protested and the government gave up.
For how long will we live like this.
It is time the government empowers strongly, the urban development agency.
The present employers there have proven to be complete failures and they should all be shown the way out.
The whole system needs to be overhauled and the people should be forced to comply with the planning and standards requirements.

Building plans should be strictly adhered to.
Selling of petrol on the streets should be banned.If at all they should sell, let there be a standard where safety is paramount. (kai i doubt if there's a way it can be standardised)
Make shift structures along streets should be demolished and the standard street measurement should be applied everywhere and whoever encroaches should be punished.

Kai gaskiya Kano zero! Abun takaichi wallahi.

bakangizo

Quote from: gogannaka on February 22, 2010, 11:44:16 AM
Kai gaskiya Kano zero! Abun takaichi wallahi.

Why? I mean, why is it Kano zero? You speak as if this is a peculiar Kano problem. Most, I dare say all, cities in Nigeria have the same problem. It is a town planning failure that started from when the cities were in their formative stages. And successive govts have failed to impose adherence to town planning in new, imaging areas/quarters. Kamar yadda muhsin ya ce, tun ran gini tun ran zane. Correcting the defects now would be a herculian task. Just imagine, yaya zaka yi da cikin birni? How would you carve out access to all those lunguna? Those that lost their lives in that fire incident was mostly as a result of the burgerproof, not the inability of the firetruck to reach the house. Similar cases are being reported on a regularly basis around the country. This is not excusing the failure of govt, as I agree with what you said about empowering urban dev. agencies, strict implementation of the laws, etc. But most importantly the govt needs to steel itself against a backlash from the people. We all know what the kano state govt went through (and is going through) as a result of the on going reconstruction projects around the metropolis. We have a very stupid mentality. Duk wani abu na gyara bamu son shi. And you have some useless people, the so called elites in the state,spurring the people on to rebel against the govt. All in the name of opposition. 

Dan-Borno

this is a tragedy, not only to family of the victims but the
entire people of kano/gombe state and nigeria at large. the
issue of town planning needs revisiting on a more strict and
serious note.  kuma kamar yadda bakangizo ya fada its a
nigerian problem not kano or elsewhere alone, recently, the
UN-HABITAT declares that only abuja is a real city in naija
and all the rest are slums.

in maiduguri where i come, with the active aid from government
during the 1999 - 2003 tenure, government succeded in
extorting and bastardizing an existing plan of federal low cost
maiduguri which was designed and built during murtala's
regime, you can imagine, instead of government to re-improve
the environment, it helped in deteriorating it.

definitely reform cannot take place considering how our people
behave in anything new that comes their way.
"My mama always used to tell me: 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for" - Tupak

gogannaka

BKGZ from all the places i have visited in Nigeria (not too many places sha) Kano is the worst.
I'm sorry to say.
Banda haka kuma, Kanon na ita ce tawa and it hurts me to see everywhere trying to actualize a Livable environment while my own town is decaying at a more than alarming rate.

Herculian task ne that we need to implement no matter what.

Muhsin

Salam,

GGNK, you had me laughing. Your plan is very undoable and even artless. Not Kano, or at least everywhere in Kano. If you say some areas, correct. But to think of the whole Kano is rather a wishful thinking.

Beside, let us see your plan for Dala area.  :)

bakangizo

Quote from: gogannaka on February 22, 2010, 06:02:20 PM
BKGZ from all the places i have visited in Nigeria (not too many places sha) Kano is the worst.

Please, please. Take a breather. I understand your frustrations. Dole ne in mutum yana da kishin garin su ya ji zafi. But don't you think you arre being a little unfair here? How can you say Kano is the worst? In what way? Take away Abuja, Portharcourt and Lagos. Then tell me another city better than Kano. Remember that when judging a place, you take a lot of things into consideration. History of the town/city, its nature (a commercial or civil service dominated), when was it built, population, etc. Lagos and Abuja were built with the might of the Country's wealth. Portharcourt is what it is simply because of the oil money. Kaduna was not an old city Kano, and was the HQR of the old Northern Region. And like what DB said, the UN-HABITAT recently stated that only Abuja is a real city in Nigeria.

And please saying that everywhere is trying to actualize a liveable environment while "Kano is decaying at an alarming rate" is way off the truth. Because Kano is one very very few states now in which the govt is doing soemthing about the town's redesign, reconstruction. Apart from Lagos, I don't think any state is doing more. It may not be enough now, and may not solve the problem overnight, but at least something is being done. And kudos them.

gogannaka

Muhsin kafi son a cigaba da zama haka kenan?
Ba ni da plan for dala because i am not a regional planner.
But we cannot conclusively say that nothing can be done.

BKGZ:
Calabar
Maiduguri
Katsina
Dutse
Yola
Sokoto
From my own point of view,all these cities are more livable than Kano. I'm veryy sorry to say that.
Calabar is by far the loveliest city i've ever been.

Some time back, the BBC made a report of how the old Kano used to be an envy of everyone including the foreigners.
It isn't how it is today because the urban devt and management board didn't see preservation as important or at least,they were the usual Govt workers who don't give a damn as long as their salaries are paid. The people there don't have a passion for urban beauty,standardization or preservation.
A friend who recently went to some historical sites in Egypt, Israel and even London told me how very very similar the places were to Kano city (yes Muhsin kamar dala). In London for instance,there are places whereby you cannot even renovate your home because the govt want it to be as it is,to preserve the history of the place.
I also agree that there hasn't been any govt that is doing as much to upgrade the metropolis like the present government (in all sincerity).
Matsalar Kano mutanen ne da kuma KNUPDA.
KA je ka bada 15000 wa any official na KNUPDA and all your illegalities will be legalised.
But i realise your point. But still more needs to be done.