News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

South South Leaders endorse Jonathan

Started by gogannaka, July 27, 2010, 10:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gogannaka

The leaders of the South South,including governors(even Chief Diepreye Alamieyeseigha) ,past and present ministers,representatives of ethnic nationalities all endorsed President Goodluck Jonathan for the 2011 election.

In a 13-point communiqué read by Prof Julius Ihonvbere, Chairman of the Communiqué Drafting Committee, the meeting acknowledged and identified fully with the resolutions of the recently held Northern Political Summit in Kaduna, and urged all Nigerians to support President Jonathan in the onerous task that providence has bestowed on him to move Nigeria forward beyond 2011.
The meeting called on all other geo-political zones, organisations, communities and constituencies to support this quest to deepen, widen and consolidate democracy by supporting Jonathan.
"The time to collectively transcend primordial sentiments and dispositions in the conversations on national affairs in order to build strong, viable and democratic blocks for peace and progress had come", it said, that the zone can only make progress when the leaders, communities and constituencies unite, work together, strategise together and speak with one voice.
"We acknowledge and commend the efforts of the governors of the South-South region towards bringing development, peace and unity to the region while appreciating and acknowledging the enormous efforts and contributions of our de-tribalised and great democrat, late President Umaru Musa Yar'adua, GCFR, at entrenching due process, rule of law, fight against corruption, restoration of peace to the Niger Delta region, through the amnesty programme, reforms in the power and energy sectors, as well as electoral reforms in order to give a level playing field to all politically-inclined Nigerians to attain their aspirations," the meeting declared.

I believe this is typical support for their tribesman. It is totally an undemocratic endorsement. It is based on tribal sentiment and sectionalism.
If the North ever takes such a position,the entire region is abused and castigated,especially by the media and the northerners.
Never has the north unanimously endorsed a northern candidate without opposition. Yet our people are the ones that are always said to be undemocratic and selfish.
Nigeria cannot thrive and develop as a nation so long as tribal sentiments drive our thoughts and decisions.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

Suleman

Quote from: gogannaka on July 27, 2010, 10:27:36 AM

I believe this is typical support for their tribesman. It is totally an undemocratic endorsement. It is based on tribal sentiment and sectionalism.
If the North ever takes such a position,the entire region is abused and castigated,especially by the media and the northerners.
Never has the north unanimously endorsed a northern candidate without opposition. Yet our people are the ones that are always said to be undemocratic and selfish.
Nigeria cannot thrive and develop as a nation so long as tribal sentiments drive our thoughts and decisions.

Unfortunately I will have to disagree on this one. There is nothing 'un' democratic about their actions. Dare I say that is democracy in action. Ko west din da suka kawo mana 'democracy' ai there are ethnic parties e.g white supremacists, only that the people decide if they want their idealism or not (which tends to be the case and then they fade away usually). I'd say the reason why we wouldn't follow suite (unanimously declare for a single candidate) is rather the combination of advancement in politics (carrying the whole country along) as well as our leadership position, being that a northerner presents himself as a Nigerian leader rather than a tribal one. Quite frankly I am not suprised by their resolution, but I will definately be suprised had it been namu elders din ne suka yi haka, don ba halin mu bane.

bakangizo

Whether democratic or undemocratic, it is sheer tribal sentiment. What goga is trying to point out is the fact that the North is always vilified for doing something even less. This issue of zoning, though chiefly a PDP affair, has really brought out the hypocrisy of the average southerner when it comes to politics. We all remember the hue and cry when the south was dememding that power should revolve round the regions. They cried hell and used all manner of arguments till they got it zoned to them. Now they have all turned their backs on the arrangement because the north is asking for a return pass.

Quote from: Suleman on July 27, 2010, 01:10:53 PM
I'd say the reason why we wouldn't follow suite (unanimously declare for a single candidate) is rather the combination of advancement in politics (carrying the whole country along) as well as our leadership position, being that a northerner presents himself as a Nigerian leader rather than a tribal one.

That, my friend, has nothing to do with advancement in politics in the north. Or a northerner presenting himself as a nigerian leader rather than a tribal one. It is simply a combination of lack of unity, greed, selfishness and the perpetual suicidal modesty of the northerner.

Suleman

Quote from: bakangizo on July 27, 2010, 05:07:32 PM

Quote from: Suleman on July 27, 2010, 01:10:53 PM
I'd say the reason why we wouldn't follow suite (unanimously declare for a single candidate) is rather the combination of advancement in politics (carrying the whole country along) as well as our leadership position, being that a northerner presents himself as a Nigerian leader rather than a tribal one.

That, my friend, has nothing to do with advancement in politics in the north. Or a northerner presenting himself as a nigerian leader rather than a tribal one. It is simply a combination of lack of unity, greed, selfishness and the perpetual suicidal modesty of the northerner.

In as much as I am not giving these Northern governors the credit they do not deserve, I still stand by my argument and below are some examples:

1) Remember the governors forum meeting during late Yaradua's sickness saga when Vincent Ogbulafor made the statement that cost him his job? It was at that same meeting (on live TV) that Timpreye Silva argued openly FOR zoning to be continued. Do you then think that his change of stance now, will make him more acceptable to either Jonathan or his people? No, he did not think before he lept and that is a very costly mistake to make in politics. It is one rule which as I mentioned most Northern politicians are already aversed to.

2) Take a look at these 2 similar events that happened at the lower house, i.e the Eteh saga and the recent Bankole saga. Both of these events are based on the same motive, i.e to effect a change in leadership, but notice how the former sailed through and the latter collapsed? Whilst the former movement was able to garner support from across board, the latter was seen as purely a regional affair and hence the reason the house fought against it. I am only giving the end result here but my argument is based on the details of the modus operandi of the individuals behind each movement.

There is no doubt that our politicians are corrupt, greedy, incompetent, to say the least. But the bottom line is, as present the North leads in political advancement and manoeuvres. I am not at all saying that, that is a good thing, but that is the reason why we will not end up endorsing a single candidate, as evidenced in the outcome of their meeting yesterday in Kaduna.

bakangizo

Granted. But they do take those stands often at great risk to northern interest(s). Total altruism does not have a place in Nigerian politics now.