News:

Ramadan Mubarak!

I pray that we get the full blessings of Ramadan and may Allah (SWT) grant us more blessings in the year to come.
Amin Summa Amin.

Ramadan Kareem,

Main Menu

Kano through the eyes of Kwankwaso and Shekarau

Started by Mallam, July 03, 2012, 10:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mallam

Hi all,
I came across this link and thought i should share it with members of this Forum. It contains links to a series of interviews conducted by Dr Aliyu Tilde on governance in Kano state.
Both the present and immediate past governors aired their views on their perceptions of the current state of Kano state.
I hope we enjoy going through the links and making our personal opinions.
http://fridaydiscourse.blogspot.com/2012/07/kano-interview-series-12-articles.html?m=1
MAKING SOMEONE HAPPY AND RELIEVING SOMEONE'S SADNESS IS MY EVERYDAY MISSION.
JOIN ME BY HELPING THOSE WHO YOU CAN HELP TODAY!

gogannaka

Kudos goes to Aliyu Tilde for the interviews.

I find some things really impressive like the Northwestern University and the Vocational training. I only hope he would stop his principal from comparing everything the administration does to that of the previous administration. It makes no sense to always be demeaning the past Administration in order to make your own Administration look saintly.

My best quote from Kwankwaso's interview:

You see, Kwankwasiyya is an ideology and you can see the result. Go and see how our streets are clean and lit in the night. This is not how we inherited them in 2011. Look at the four major roads that lead into Kano. Additional lanes are added to them, with shoulders, drainages and walkways. Even on the old roads, we are putting interlocking blocks for pedestrians. We are working, day and night.

So I believe it is always good to be responsible, reasonable and mean well to people. That is why I am not in a hurry to probe anybody. Give them the benefit of the doubt. But I know if you build around you so many deep wells and you continue to move around them recklessly, one day you are likely to fall into one. People will reap what they sow. That is my position.

I am sure the position of first lady isn't in the constitution. So, first things first. First of all, my wife is my wife – the wife to Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso; then, secondly, if you like, she is the wife to the Governor of Kano State.

You see everybody has his own way of doing things. I am not saying that what others are doing is wrong, but I don't believe that others should think that my own is wrong. My wife doesn't go to any ministry. I don't allow commissioners to go to my wife. In any case, if my wife has the governor at her disposal anytime, why would she need a commissioner? "If you want anything in government, tell me," I told her. But she knows - and everybody knows - that I cannot steal anything in government and bring it to her. If there is anything genuine that everybody is entitled to, then she can also go for it.

To me creating an office of the first lady endangers the wife by exposing her to all sorts of risks – the inherent problems associated with politics, with leadership, etc. If you put all your eggs in one basket, you end up in one problem or the other. Also, if you have people who have not gone through the system – like our wives – they may create one problem or the other for themselves. Sometimes, if you cannot fell the tree, you go for the branches because they are very easy to cut and fell. That is why you should not give your enemies that opportunity. We have people who cannot come to terms with marking buildings with kwankwasiyya, what would they do if they catch my wife stealing public money?

Security is the paramount responsibility of any government. And while people are working very hard to ensure that there is security in Kano, at the same time I am calling on everybody to come together and work with us in the interest of the state. This not withstanding, let me say at this juncture that Kano is the centre of knowledge also. We have people who are praying across the state 24 hours a day. In fact, that was why on 29 May instead of celebrating we went to the mosque to pray to Almighty Allah for peace not only in Kano but also throughout the country. The same thing took place in all local governments and wards in the state that day. And you know God is great. We are beginning to see peace coming back in Kano.

Here is my best quote from Shekarau:

Shekarau: My advice for the people of Kano is that they should continue to be patient, law abiding and supportive of any government in place. Once elections are over and a government is in place, support any project put forward by the government. My advice is when any government comes up with a project in the interest of the public; we should put aside political differences and support it. On the other hand, I will advise the government not to over-politicize government activities and projects because that will be the reason that people will have in believing that it is their own project, that it is not about your political party. This is why I am a bit unhappy with the naming of projects after a political party. No matter how bitter you feel about a government, that government will have to live its period. Your abusing the government and quarreling with it doesn't help matters. You must be patient enough to wait for the elections to come. When they come, use your vote to dislodge who you don't want to see. This is my advice.
Surely after suffering comes enjoyment

HUSNAA

Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

bakangizo

Kokarin? Shiririta, rinton aiki, rashin mutunci, cin zatafin jama'a da kalamai kamar na 'yan tasha? Shi ne kokari?

HUSNAA

Well you have to start somewhere ko ba haka ba? Besides Yan iskan Kano sai irin su Kwankwaso, su ne maganin su. Dan tasha wala no, he still dey try... what ever language he uses, he gets the job done and thats what counts!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ghafurallahi lana wa lakum

Nuruddeen

Quote from: HUSNAA on March 27, 2013, 09:46:40 PM
Well you have to start somewhere ko ba haka ba? Besides Yan iskan Kano sai irin su Kwankwaso, su ne maganin su. Dan tasha wala no, he still dey try... what ever language he uses, he gets the job done and thats what counts!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote

Gaskiya ne Husnaa. Allah ya taimaka.
o try and fail is atleast to learn. That will save one the inestimable loss of what might have been (positive or negative).

bakangizo

Quote from: HUSNAA on March 27, 2013, 09:46:40 PM

Abinda arziki bai kawo ba, tsiya ba zai kawo ba. Cin mutuncin jama'a, dagawa da kalamai na ashararanci ba alama ne na mai jogarancin garin musulmi ba. Is it any wonder we found ourselves in this pitiable situation, tunda ba abinda zai fito daga bakin shugaban ka sai kalmomin masifa?

Ga sata a boye, ga rinton aiki. Ga tsoro kamar farar kura.

gogannaka

BKGZ, just like Husnaa said, i believe Kwankwaso is the right person to lead Kano. In his few years he has been able to achieve so much infrastructural and human capital development.

I also believe he has a passion for the development of the state deep in his mind.

I wish he would have a second term.

bakangizo

I respectfully disagree, sir. Seriously. Human capital development? You are joking right? ;D We look at things differently. But then your opinion, my opinion. So no wahala.

Muhsin

Quote from: bakangizo on April 05, 2013, 04:36:52 PM
I respectfully disagree, sir. Seriously. Human capital development? You are joking right? ;D We look at things differently. But then your opinion, my opinion. So no wahala.

How I wish everybody would subscribe to this thought; there would not have been clashes at a slight "provocation", especially on political issues.

Besides, I say kudos to both Shekarau and Kwankwaso, for I believe they care about Kano and its people. It is just the approach, which any of them has it peculiar to his thought and perception. Personally I benefit more from the latter's (Kwankwaso's) led-government, but that does not (and cannot) blind me from seeing good in the former's administration. May Allah bless Kano more with more patriotic governors and law-abiding citizens. May peace reign in the state and all the Muslim states, amin.
Get to know [and remember] Allah in prosperity & He will know  [and remember] you in adversity.

gogannaka

Well to me, it all depends on our perception of human capital development.
For Example, providing scholarships can be taken as human capital development. While Shekarau's foreign scholarships were shrouded in secrecy, Kwankwaso's was open.
Shekarau no doubt employed a lot of people through the hisbah board and REMASAB (street cleaners). But likewise, Kwankwaso has employed teachers and workers, in Addition to the people he married off.

So Like Muhsin said, all of them care for Kano. But in my own opinion, Shekarau should have done better given the 8yrs he got. I also always ask if his adaidaita sahu program succeeded not.

Sani Danbaffa

With all sense of humility and responsibility, all those that know Kano from 1966 to date would testify that only 2 governors are remarkable. These are Late Auduu Bako and present day Engr Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso. No sentiments of any kind. He is knowledgeable, well groomed and favourably disposed to progressive improvement of the state's and the nation at large. Check his CV, you may agree more.

May God guide him and open the hearts and minds of other leaders to be sincere like him.
Seek knowledge to be usefull to the society, help and spread happiness.

gogannaka

An interesting interview with Kwankwaso. Though i didn't find him honest for suggesting Jonah Jang at the NSGF meeting, it shows however,that Politics still remains a game of deception.

The two governors who pulled out of the Northern States Governors Forum over alleged betrayal by their colleagues are making the biggest political mistake of their lives and they may not be able to win any election again in the North, Kano State Governor Rabiu Kwankwaso has said.
He was referring to his Bauchi and Benue state counterparts, Isa Yuguda and Gabriel Suswam, who had said they would no longer attend meetings of the forum because they were betrayed in the disputed election of the Nigerian Governors Forum chairman.
They had said the northern governors agreed unanimously to support Plateau State Governor Jonah Jang but some of their colleagues voted for Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi, who won the May 24 election.
In an interview with journalists in Abuja yesterday, Kwankwaso said the two governors "are making the biggest political mistakes of their lives."
"The implication of what they are saying is that they're not with us (northern governors). What we are saying is (the Nigeria Governors Forum) has nothing to do with the politics of Northern Governors Forum, where we have many assets and liabilities. Whether military or civilian, governors always attend the meetings because you have to go and present the issues concerning your people there.
"Now, if you opt out of Northern Governors Forum, when governors of Western states are meeting, certainly you cannot be part of them. And I begin to wonder where else they will be.  I want to tell you that if they continue with that I don't see how either they or their candidates would win elections in the North. I think they better start fielding their candidates in elections outside the northern region.
"They don't know they are making the biggest mistakes. What did the North do to them? Who told them that the North is not supporting Amaechi? If you're taking a decision, don't take it when you're angry. Don't say because you want to impress someone, so that you could be considered a good governor, you're getting out of your home, you're abandoning your people, you're insulting them...That is a big mistake. I cannot make the mistake of taking Kano out of the North. Those who are making those statements are making mistake. The earlier they reverse themselves, the better for them," he said.
Emphasising the relevance of the Northern Governors Forum, Kwankwaso said at the Nigerian Governors Forum, all that the governors do is peer review but at northern governors forum issues are tackled at a deeper level.
"People have so much sentiment attached to the Northern Governors Forum, and by the time you remove yourself, people may decide to keep quiet and pay you back at the appropriate time," he said.
On the issue of betrayal raised by the two governors, Kwankwaso explained that even before the elections he had warned both Katsina State Governor Ibrahim Shema and Yuguda that he would not support them.
"I told Shema, 'you are my neighbour, you're my brother, you're my friend, but you can't come and tell me you're contesting an election and you're parading yourself as a candidate and behaving like somebody who was sent to us.'
"I made it clear that I would neither vote for him nor ask anybody to vote for him. And that I would make sure he lost the election. I told him this to his face. While I was telling him this, Sule Lamido was there, supporting me, Adamawa and Niger State governors were also there. This made some persons to say Shema did not have the support of the North.
"Isa Yuguda came to me, and I told him, I'm still a villager, and I behave in many ways as a villager. In my village, in Kwankwaso in Kano, if a councillorship candidate goes to the elders and says he wanted to contest for councillorship in the morning and they accepted, if someone else comes in the afternoon and asked for the same support, the villagers would tell him he's late. We don't want Shema because we wanted to choose our own chairman. Now, you're coming through the same route. When he insisted, because it was my house, I didn't want to be as hard on him as I was to Shema."
Explaining how Jang became the consensus candidate of the North, Kwankwaso admitted that he nominated Jang for that position, though he supported Amaechi's candidature, because the "G-16" camp were desperate to field a candidate against Amaechi.
"I gave them Jang and I asked the governor of Benue State to support me. I realised they were very desperate, and that even after the election they would not accept the victory of Amaechi. We gave them who we feel should lead the minority group. When we left the place, they had their meeting and accepted him. At the end of the day they brought him to the general meeting of the Governors Forum. At that meeting we told them we wanted Amaechi to continue to be chairman of the forum. We went into voting because there was no consensus," he said.
On the issue of the zoning of the forum's chairmanship to the North, Kwankwaso said, "Let me say this: we're northerners and I think we need to be consulted on what we need in the North. Some people have decided that we should take chairman, Nigerian Governors' Forum. But that is not our choice. We have our choice to our chest. We know what we need in the politics of this country. Even if (the chairman of Governors Forum) is what we want, we're not expecting anybody to choose for us. We should choose for ourselves."
Kwankwaso warned that the leaders of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) were making a mistake by suspending governors from the party because it is to the detriment of the ruling party. 
"Those who are leading the party should be careful about what they do, especially when they are using dirty words like suspension, expulsion, dismissal, and impeachment. These are words that people should be cautious about," he said.
"We want peace, stability, development in this country. People should be cautious...With all these things that are happening, people should not worry too much. In developed countries, the US, Britain, Germany, there are two parties. In Nigeria we have one party now and other small parties. Who knows, we're in a transition in this country, a transition to two parties. Before we have two parties, some people need to make mistakes."
Asked if he was in talks with the yet to be registered All Progressives Congress (APC), Kwankwaso said he had been in politics for over 20 years now and that had friends across parties, and therefore free to interact with them.
According to him the situation in the PDP had made it difficult for aggrieved members to voice out their grievances because there is no channel to do so. He referred to the fact that the National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting of the party has not held for nearly a year now.
"This party belongs to all of us. It doesn't belong to chairman or to anybody. It belongs to all of us. We have invested so much in this party. But if you're suspended or dismissed or expelled, it's unfortunate," he said.
"All of us who voted for Amaechi consider this suspension as the suspension of all of us in his camp. After Amaechi, they went to the Governor of Sokoto. We're even surprised that it started from there. Some of us are disappointed that it started from there."